Connecting Panasonic DMR-EH50S to Waaaay Old TV--can it be done?

Username: Nursarama

Hawaii

Post Number: 2
I want to apologize for yet another connection question...and yes, I have read all the other connection issue posts! In fact, I have spent so much time reading the posts,I am now totally confused! So, anyway, can the DMR-EH50S be connected to my vintage 1992 Zenith TV? The only jack on the TV is labeled "vhf--uhf--cable" and it's the round cable-sized connection port. Now, my question is this: in the Panasonic manual it says that "the picture and sound signal from this unit does not go through the RF OUT terminal to the television." How else can I connect it to my TV? And is it possible to somehow fit my Xbox into this equation? (The Xbox is currently connected to the old TV by going thru the yellow and white ports on the back of the old VCR. There isn't a red one.)Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2017
RF modulator

Hawaii

Post Number: 3
So, even though the manual says that the picture & sound don't go thru the RF Out terminal, I should connect the RF Modulator to it, and then to the uhf-vhf-cable terminal on the TV? Or does the Rf modulator connect to the red-yellow-white terminals on the DVD, and then to the TV? Thanks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2026
The yellow/red/white connect to the modulator, which connects to the TV. You are going to lose a lot of picture quality connecting through a modulator. Think about buying a new TV if finances will allow.

Username: Muchkinsmom

Ny, Ny Usa

Post Number: 1
panasonic dmreh50
Sorry for horning in on some else's questions,
I have time warner cable and have not been able to
download the tv guide. everything else works fine in the unit. I set it up exactly as the manual showed.
Can you give me a way to get the tv guide into the unit. It keeps showing that it failed to find data.

Hawaii

Post Number: 5
I have read other posts that talk about how some cable companies block the TV Guide signal from coming through. Some cable companies want you to rent their own DVR, with their own on-screen guide. Other posters have mentioned Comcast as an example, but I don't recall anyone saying Time/Warner did it, too. Interesting that you bring them up, since my cable company here in Hawaii is Oceanic Time/Warner. (I haven't hooked it up yet, or I'd give you my opinion.) I guess I will call the cable company and check out whether they block the signal. Maybe you can do that, too--I'd be intersested to hear what your cable company says!

Ny, Ny Usa

Post Number: 2
Actually I asked them about the placement of the IR blaster by the cable box, and their reply was
non-commital at best. At that point I was thinking that maybe they just weren't allowing it.
I guess that now that the holidays are over i'll call them again. see what they say.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2048
Connect the cable directly to the recorder without going through the box if you want the guide to work.

Ny, Ny Usa

Post Number: 3
please give me the exact way to connect the cables, from the wall into the unit to vcr & tv.
will I be able to get all my channels or will they appear to be scrambled.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2066
Scrambled channels will have to be recorded from the box. Split the incoming cable to the box and the recorder, then from the recorder to the TV. Connect the box to the recorder with s-video or RCAs. To record digital or scrambled channels, set the box on the channel and the recorder on whatever input you connected the box to. To record analog or unscrambled channels, use the tuner in the recorder.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us