HLN Color wheel shattered into pieces?

Username: 31ratrod

Post Number: 1
Had my 61in sammy for about 2 years. First 11 months the color wheel made noise, they replaced w/new type. A little more than a year later the color wheel is broken again. This time I was watching tv the other night and I heard a loud noise and then the chainsaw noise. At first I thought it was the bearings again. But when I looked closer half the color wheel segments are gone and broke into small pieces inside. I ordered a new one and I'm waiting for it, but what in the hell could have caused it to break apart?

Post Number: 2
Also there's a rubber type pad under the wheel that looks like it was rubbing on it a bit. I've got pics I can post if anyone wants to see em.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 530
Absolutely!

Post'em up! This I gotta see.

Post Number: 3
Here are some pics of the color wheel. I had already vacuumed up the pieces of it in the light engine.

Upload

Post Number: 4
Upload

Post Number: 5
Called samsung and spoke with exec team, but would not service out of warranty. I tried to argue that this was the replacement part and it should have a 1 year warranty from that point.Of course I didn't tell them I had taken it apart yet, just said I pulled the lamp and saw the color wheel. No help from samsung.

Post Number: 6
Also called the service co that replaced it for samsung the first time to see if they would sell me the part. The guy refused to sell it, because he said too much liablity. He made it sound like you had to have a masters from MIT to replace. I understand the complexity of the light tunnel and engine, but the color wheel is easily replaceable. Unless any pieces went inside the light tunnel, the new wheel should work.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 532
WOW!

So...do you suppose a wheel segment came loose and made contact with the rubber pad until it finally caught and took out some other segments?

Post Number: 7
That sounds likely. Or something freaky like a bug or clump of dust caught it just right, but I doubt it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us