1080p input

Anonymous

How would I determine if a TV accepts 1080p signal as input? Instead of having the signal unconverted from 720p or 1080i source.

Thanks

lanny

Anonymous

RTFM

Bronze Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 41
What would you use to send a 1080P signal to your TV?

Oled
Unregistered guest
I thought the upcoming blu ray and hd dvd would output 1080p but instead will do 1080i. Unless a computer is used to send a 1080p signal, there is nothing I know of that will send it. My understanding is a well made tv (ex Sony sxrd) will nicely deinterlace 1080i and convert it to 1080p. 720p will be scaled to 1080p. It is a trickier question as to which tvs actually accept 1080p. The Sonys do not but the HP dlps do. Why some 1080p tvs accept 1080p and others do not is a mystery.

Anonymous

I'm buying the tv for playing the upcoming PS3. The PS3 will output at 1080p. I thought blu ray will output 1080p. While the hd dvd will output 1080i.

Thanks

lanny

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 531
HD DVD and Blu-ray will most likely merge.
A variety of output formats will be available.

High end video processors like Realta chip products and Faroudja chip products are
made to output 1080P to a set that will accept 1080P. High end DLP and D-ILA front projection units are among the few.

Manufacturers are not convinced yet that 1080P sources will be forthcoming. It's the chicken and egg thing. Which came first? This is not too indifferent from the concept of HD sets being widely available before HD programming or visa versa. They will come around, eventually. By the way, all 1080P sets will accept 1080P signals through the ATSC tuner. Most will accept 1080P from PCs through the VGA port.

Anonymous

"By the way, all 1080P sets will accept 1080P signals through the ATSC tuner."
What if Blu-ray came out in 1080P over HDMI, how could I receive this 1080P thru my ATSC tuner since I just found out my "1080P" tv does not actually accept this in the HDMI port? Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 533
"What if Blu-ray came out in 1080P over HDMI, how could I receive this 1080P thru my ATSC tuner..."

You can't! ATSC tuners are made for off-air and raw cable only. You would be forced to accept the 1080i format from the Blu-ray.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us