Any Experience With Terk 15db Amplifier?

Username: Usacoder

Post Number: 1
I'm presently have DirecTV HD with a Winegard MS-1000 omnidirectional for the local HDTV.

I'm thinking of using the Terk 15db Amplifier. Here's why:

The line run from the dish/antenna to box is > 50'.

Dish works great.

The local TV signal is very inconsistent. Pixelazation occurs most of the time except after sunset, sometimes.

http://www.antennaweb.org/recommends a green multidirectional for my location; which the MS-1000 is not.

Bronze Member
Username: Nr4p

Post Number: 14
Omnidirectionals aren't very good, if you can get a directional antenna. That will be significant improvement. antennaweb.org will show you what direction you need.

If you antenna isn't on it's own cable of RG6, run a separate line. If it's multiplexed with the sat signals, you will lose 3-6db due to the diplexers at each end. Ant. and sep. cable should fix your pixelation.

Last but not least, I wouldn't recommend TERK. It's a division of Audiovox and the companies don't make broadcast quality amps. They don't spec. the Noise Figure. So if the amp has a 5db NF, then the gain is only 10db. Cheap amps amplify with alot of noise. I recommend a Channel Master and best is pole mounted where you put the amp at the antenna. I have one with 25db gain at the antenna and I get signals 71 miles away. I bit pricey vs. a TERK but worth every penny. You can google this or find it on the auction sites.

Username: Usacoder

Post Number: 2
I see that Channel Master (now Andrew Corp.) has a pre-amp that gets it power from the dish receiver.

"They have been designed for optimized performance with a supply voltage of +12 to +22 VDC from a satellite receiver. This power is normally passed to the preamplifier via a 4032IFD diplexer which diplexes (combines) the VHF/UHF signals on to the same cable as the satellite signals."

Anyone have experience with this type of setup?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us