Newby question RE: component vs HDMI vs progresssive

Username: Movingonup

Post Number: 1
Hello all

I just purchased a Samsung TX-R2279H 27" HDTV 4:3 tube set. It is progressive scan up to 1080I and will accept component as well as HDMI inputs.

My 3 year old (non progressive) Sony DVD player is component out only. Would I gain that much by moving up to a progressive unit with HDMI output?

That is, would I get more from the progressive scan capability of a new unit even if I stay with component out or must I go all the way to digital out.

Finally, are these upconverter players worth it?

Any specific player suggestions??

Thanks,
George

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 750
On a small CRT screen the improvement is likely to be less visible than on 42" and larger screens. But I would get a good progressive dvd player with HDMi (such as a Panasonic S77--lists at $250 and can be gotten for less than $200). It also has DVD-audio capabilities.

Post Number: 3
Gregory:

Thanks. That S77 is an upconverting player. I'm wondering how well this technology works and do you have any options to turn that on and off?

Post Number: 4
...further to my last post, above, this Samsung HDTV I just bought (TX-R2779H), being a direct tube design, has no fixed resolution. The spec sheet seems to indicate it will display whatever resolution it's fed in that exact resolution.

That said, isn't an upconverting DVD player worthless when used with this type of TV. Maybe I'm missing something. I can understand using upconversion for a fixed-res flat panel LCD but why with a direct tube that will self adjust to the incoming signal?

Username: Praetorian

Post Number: 4
Not quite. As you stated, it only displays the incoming signal, so if your sending it 480i, it will only display 480i. As Greg pointed out, for your screen size, upconverting to 780p, or even 1080i would not be a significant improvement to our human eyes (though granted you could view from MUCH closer to the screen... ;) So, to answer your question, if your old dvd player is not progressive, then your only sending it a 480i signal, you WILL see a definite improvement with a progressive scan DVD player (sending 480p signals). Whether or not you want to buy an upconvert should really depend on your intentions for future purchases: if you plan to buy a larger screen in the near future (say within a year, then buy an upconvert, if you will be buying one later than that (or never) then a purely 480p will be perfect for your current needs (and wallet). As to whether or not you want to shill out for a progressive scan player with an HDMI output, I personally don't see the point, if your pumping your audio through your TVs built-in speakers (the only reason you would use HDMI) then all your really doing is reducing the number of cables you use, but I personally find it important to factor in that an HDMI cable will cost more than your DVD player... for TV speakers, RCA cords will do just fine, if your pumping it to a home theatre receiver, then digital optical is the way to go my friend.

Post Number: 5
I suppose I should add to the last bit, that as well as not needing HDMI (or DVI for that matter) you would be hard pressed to notice any difference in resolution between the purely digital format and the component video at 27in.

Post Number: 5
Michael:

Hey, Thanks. Can I ask you...

That bit about viewing much closer to the screen if I were to go with an upconvert... I do notice I need to sit further back than I did with my old 20" tv or the picture off DVD (or cable) is hard to watch. I can see the artifacts and noise. Getting back to 12' its looks superb... but, sometimes I need to sit on the end of the sofa closest to the set and it ain't pretty.

So you're saying if I go upconvert I will obtain a finer looking picture by going in at 720P or even 1080I? Am I reading you right??

Also, will this image improvement be for all DVD's or only the newly minted stuff now coming out.

Thanks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
It should work fine for the old and new alike, as it is getting converted from the DVD player. You will see a quality gap between new and old, but that is more form recording formats, than from age. 1's and 0's are just 1's and 0's. But I think if you trial a 480p, that alone will be enough to sort your current viewing differences out.

Post Number: 6
Michael:

I purchased a new Sony DVD player w/progressive component out and upconversion for $130. Their model 70H I believe it was. You're rignt. The image difference between 480I and 480P is incredible.

No HDMI cable was supplied with it but I've seen them for less than $20 on the net so I may just give upconversion a try at some point.

Thanks!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Well, hell, for that price you cannot lose, and since you already have an upconvert, just go for it. You SHOULD not need an HDMI to upconvert. Do the specs say that somewhere? If your already using/have component cables, use those for your DVD player and set resolution to 720P, you may or may not notice a huge difference in picture detail at your screen size, but the colour and contrast may just blow you away! :-) Give it a shot!

Good find on the cables, just make sure the specs are compliant with HDMI standards (usually a 1 meter cable is about 30$, unless you were duped like me before I became "savvy" and paid 150$).

Talon_Sr
Unregistered guest
Michael, I'm in the process of setting up my home theater system. The articles I've read say that digital optical for the audio is no better than digital coax cable for relatively short distances. Furthermore, coax is more durable for routing around corners and from what some say, has a more warm sound than optical. I would imagine that it's(coax) is even cheaper. So why would you recommend that over coax?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us