Archive through October 11, 2005

Username: Waazzuup

Post Number: 1
I have a Sony KF-60WE610 LCD Projection TV. I have had it for about 1.5 years. I turned it on tonight and I noticed these strange yellow lines. Any ideas?
Upload

Peas
Unregistered guest
Either spider webs or someone had sex on your screen.

Peas

Peas
Unregistered guest
Another thought is that someone spilled a liquid on top of your display.

Peas

Post Number: 2
nothing was spilled on top of the display.

Are you being serious about spider webs inside?

I'm not sure, but I think we bought an extended warranty through the store that we got it from. Hopefully they can repair it or give us a new one.

FYI
Unregistered guest
Peas is seldom ever serious, but is sometimes quite entertaining!

I've never seen this before. If I had to guess I'd say the display has suffered some type of failure isolated to that area, especially if it never changes. It could have been caused by a static charge. That's how it looks anyway.

bustenchops
Unregistered guest
THAT HAPPENED TO MY LIFE PARTNER'S SET.
HIS TEETH CAME OUT WHEN HE WAS LAUGHING,WHILE WATCHING ''will and grace''
WE LOVE TO WATCH IT,TOGETHER,WITH DLP4ME!

Bronze Member
Username: Pugcharlie

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 61
too many goofballs on this website

Unregistered guest
Same thing with 50we655 but much bigger print of the yellow. Still waiting for sony to do something set was new on christmas

Post Number: 3
It's actually worse now

Upload

Username: Hillboy

Mines bigger than that :-) and it is growing. Sony has no tech in our area and I am still waiting for them to cal back. Are we the only two with this problem

Bronze Member

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 62
Could this be an LCD panel?

HD Fanatic
Unregistered guest
I suppose it's possible that it could be a LCD chip/panel problem. I'd be willing to bet that it's something with the screen itself. An easy way to find out is to pop the screen off and take a look inside. If the web image is not visible on the mirror inside the set, then it would have to be the screen.

This is not anything I have seen before. Keep us all posted when you find out what this is.

I will keep all of you informed. I will not pull the screen as it is under full warrenty and they can fix it or replace it.

Bronze Member

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 63
I agree wuth you, B Davis,
Let Sony take a look as you might void your warranty if you do it.

Post Number: 4
I think mine is no longer covered by Sony, but my extended warranty from the place I bought it should cover it. I'm going to call them on monday. keep your fingers crossed for me.

RobJ
Unregistered guest
Odd, My sony 50we610 which is also 1.5 years old
came up with the same defect 2 days ago. Same type of pattern on the lower right had sign. From
posts on other sites looks like the LCD and not the screen. Not sure how Sony is going to convince the consumer this is expected for a set
costing what it does.

Bronze Member

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 65
This is not good. I wonder how common this is???? Might it be limited to a defect in this model confined to a specific build time?

Post Number: 5
Ok - My extended warranty came in handy. The guy came out yesterday and said he had only seen something similar to this one time before, but it was with a Hitachi. He thinks it's a problem with the light engine.

I don't know exactly how it works, but the repair company somehow works with sony. The repair man said he was going to let sony know what's going on with my tv and they will decide if they want to try to repair it or if they will just replace it.

Post Number: 6
By the way...

If you have this same problem, please post pictures. If we can show that this is a common problem, maybe sony will do something for people that aren't under warranty.

Bronze Member
Username: Klaus

Holiday, FL USA

Post Number: 25
I don't have a LCD projection set, but I have seen similar marks on LCD screens which have received impacts. Possibly differential cooling is cracking the lcd panel

BertJ
Unregistered guest
My Sony 50WE610 which is 1.8 years old
has the same defect. Same type of pattern on the lower left quadrant. Out of warranty. Sony Customer service suggested that it was a normal occurence. I am very unhappy at the moment.

Bronze Member

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 77
Extended warranties are very important as can be seen from above posts.

Unregistered guest
Same problem with mine. It is used only 6 months out of the year and unplugged from power and all video feeds while away. OK in December when I left. When I returned home plugged it in and bingo the problem was there. Mine has it in 2 colors on both sides of the screen. I called Sony repair and they say sounds like the main optical board at about $1200 to $1600 to repair. This is the third service visit (first one on this type problem) and I'm not happy. Date of my purchase was late October 2004 so it's about the same age as the rest of you are reporting. How can we band together to go after Sony for new TV's that work????

Bronze Member

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 82
Doesn't your Sony have a 1 year Parts/Labor Warranty? If your purchased it in October 04, you are still covered.

Unregistered guest
Oops! Purchase date was October 2003 so no warranty.

Bronze Member

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 83
Oh, too bad.

Username: Maximustexas

Austin, TX US

Post Number: 7
Say Peter S, can you keep us posted as to how this turns out?

I have a 42" sony bought in Sep 04, and wanted to know what to possibly expect.
Thanks

Unregistered guest
I have a SONY KF-42WE610 1.6y old. No problems up to 7/1, turned set on 7/2 same yellow etch-a-sketch likemarkings on lower R quadrant. Anyone get resolution or answers from SONY?

Bronze Member

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 97
My KDF-50WE655 is only 4 months old and no problems but I am glad I purchased an extended warranty. This should not be happening.

Username: Billwang88

Long Beach, CA USA

Just curious, those of you with the faulty TVs, where or what area do you guys live? What was the temperature/weather like when all this happened?

I'm just thinking that this might be a result to extreme heat or cold.

nope not an extreme temp problem, I live in eastern washington in the mountains 2500 feet we have not seen a 90 degree day and in april when it happened we were nice and cool. house is kept a nice 72 degrees and plenty of area to cool.

Long Beach, CA USA

I found this posting from Googling "sony lcd projection tv problems"...

Display Problem, December 2, 2004
Reviewer: Mark Seiwert (Wichita, Ks) - See all my reviews

My Sony LCD large screen TV is just over one year old. It has yellow splotch about mid upper screen. A close inspection of the screen reveals a circuit board trace like pattern that is yellow. The set has not been abused or exposed to temperature extremes. A UPS should be used with these units to keep the lamp cooling fan powered in case of a power failure. The lamps are at least $250.00 I would definitely recomend the extended warranty. Is the technology not proven on these large screens? Is the screen going to fail after 3 years when the extended warranty is expired? Sony will not stand behind their product after the warrany is expired. (mine is two weeks out) Other than the display problem the unit has performed flawless. It's a lot of money for a TV that doesn't last more than a year!!!!

Long Beach, CA USA

and this one on a KDF-60XBR950...

Reviewed by: cedricreynolds from NH on May 4, 2005 Rating:

Experience: 15 Months

Strengths: excellent picture from the box, no burn in

Weaknesses: has design defect non-removable Lexan cover gets dirt on backside where it cannot be cleaned

Summary: Sony offered to buy back for $1000 less than paid due to known design defect after 15 months citing depreciation. Parts replaced but nonconformity not corrected violating warranty. The Lexan cover seal leaks. Fan inside forces air past seal causing dirt smudges up to 6" long around perimeter of screen at attachment points. Sony replaced Lexan cover, then whole TV, then Lexan cover again waiting for warranty to expire. New cover replaced 4/05 has same seal design and will get dirty. Will be real obvious at 2000 hrs which for me is a little over 2 months of use since I watch it all the time. Other than the dirt and clouding of the screen, one of the best pictures available when new. Technology is subjectively surpassed with new gen 2+ DLP sets by Mitsubishi and Samsung. Know of one other also on 4th Lexan cover and 2nd TV from Sony. He has seen 2 other posts on internet reviews with the same problem. If you buy this TV it is a matter of time before you have the same problem. Email me if you have the same problem.

Now, granted, these are isolated instances, and there are plenty of raving reviews out there on SONY products, but I just thought this gives me enough reasons to consider Samsung's DLP products. So I did some digging by Googling "samsung dlp tv problems" and found some reviews from this site...

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/14343.html

Is there anybody out there who can make a reliable $3000 TV?

Unregistered guest
I have the same problem with my screen. Purple lines like roadmaps. The lines will become less and less while you have your set on longer and longer. I left my TV on for the whole day and all the lines disappeared. Then I turned it off and let it rest for a night. The next day I turned on the set and there's no lines any more. Everything is back to normal. I don't know what the problem is or why this solved the problem, but it's been OK for a month and a half now. No need to replace anything!

Unregistered guest
HELP! Same problem as shown in pictures showed up tonight in the lower right hand corner of my KDF70XBR950. It is exactly 20 months old and used very little. I went on line and registered it with Sony and then accessed the support page. I will call them ASAP, but it looks like at least $330 to have a tech come out and give me an answer. Let me know if anyone has any better ideas.

HD Love it or Leave it
Unregistered guest
Bill,

The answer to your question is a resounding NO!

Buy what you like, but buy the extended warranty.
Then, enjoy the new HD technology. It is awesome!

why pay 300 dollars for a tech to come out. A good tech will know what it is when you explain it to them and save the first wervice call. I called a couple guys until I found one who knew what it was. He was 80 miles away and said I will order you a light engine, it will be here in a week thenI will come out and put it in. Took him less than 2 hours one trip 1600 dollars for the part.

Unregistered guest
We have a Sony back projection tv that's maybe 1.5 yrs old. We unplugged it to changing the flooring and when plugged back in it won't come on. My husband thinks he remembered having to put a code in when he bought it but can't find the book right now. Does anyone have the answer?

Thanks

Username: Perturbed

This page came up first on google, and it is exactly what appeared on my tv (KF-60we610) last friday. Talking to a service tech today, I had difficulty describing it. He asked "Does it look like a road map?"
"Yes!"
"It's your optical assembly. Costs $1800.00"
"!!!!????"
I asked him how many tv's he's seen this on, and he told me he's only seen three do this. He claims it's a rare occcurance. I countered, that, after being on these forums I think it's more widespread. No, he said, these forums are loaded with fake posts designed to make sony look bad.

So.... apparently all of you aren't real people....

Gimme a break!

As far at the occurance being "rare" how many of these big-screen tv's does Sony sell anyways?? They aren't exactly ubiquitous where I live.

Given the price of the part, the tv will probably sit until I decide what to do with it.
My warranty expired June 15th. I would have thought a $5G (Canadian) tv would have more reliability than this!

RDF
Unregistered guest
Same thing just happened to my set. (A 42" WEGA) Had been unplugged while we were gone for a couple of weeks. First time I turned it on...there were the marks. Tried running it all day to see if they would go away per the one post above. Didn't work.

6200 above sea level
Unregistered guest
My Dad's Tv has just did the same thing. In 2 locations there are those yellow circuit lines. His was a demo from circuit city, and he has an extended 2 year warranty purchased in 12/04. Sounds like in between a year or 2 these sets malfunction, sucks but I told him not to buy a Sony product.

Username: Sync

I just have this kind of problem, bought it about 2 years. I'll u/l my photo.
Upload

tall1
Unregistered guest
I recently purchased a 42" WEGA and I've had it less than a month. I have a 30 return policy if I was not pleased. Should I return it and buy a different model or do others do this as well?

Username: Perturbed

I can't say I can personally recommend the TV. It has a great picture, but with a potential for a costly malfunction

Long Beach, CA USA

tall1,

If you decide to keep it, definitely get the longest warranty you can afford. Also check to make sure the light bulb is included as part of the warranty.

DFOrr
Unregistered guest
My 50" KF50WE610 has the same problem. Purchased in Oct 03, problem appeared in May 05, 19 months. Tech tried cleaning twice, Sony advises to replace optical unit, $800 part + labor. Sony is giving me the runaround, but is offering to cover half the cost. I'm waiting for a Sony Customer Service supervisor to call back tomorrow, as I am now going for full coverage, even though it is out of warranty. The tech described the problem as an LCD failure, not dirt, as it can not be cleaned, it is inside the LCD surface, somewhat of a blackened appearance on the interior of the blue LCD.

Unregistered guest
I also had the problem on my 1.5 yr old TV, a patch about 2" x 4" , that all the previous posts have described. The first time it appeared, the patch gradually decreased in size, but didn't disappear entirely. The next day, it reappeared in a larger, denser area, but gradually decreased in size over several hours, until it disappeared entirely. Checked with the Sony-certified technician, who said the light engine had to be replaced, but managed to get Sony to pay for it. He changed out the unit, and the problem went away. Will it come back? I don't know. The fact that so many others have had the same problem suggests that Sony will ultimately have to acknowledge a basic design defect, make a correction, and offer it as a recall item.

Bronze Member
Username: Builder1

Beantown, MA

Post Number: 27
I will never buy Sony again.

Purchases: (2) SONY KF-42WE610 about 1.5 yes ago.

One of them had no screen problems so far, but has a problem with the power, maybe a cable box problem though and not the TV.

The second one began having green circular spots a couple of inches in diameter. New light engine is what they told me which is the cost of the TV practically - it was under Sony warranty.

But now I don't believe they are covered so if something goes I'm going to be screwed. Sony has not taken respobsibility for anything, just like with their PSP fiasco.

There are better brands out there

gentry
Unregistered guest
My wife and i purchased a KDF55WF655 and just saw this same (yellow pixel patch) problem today. Called Sony tech suport - will let everyone know how it turns out.. Thankfully we bought the 5 year ex svc plan for this..

Anonymous

Looks like grounds for a class action lawsuit.

Obviously it's the same defect that is not the fault of the user. Warranty aside, Sony cannot reasonably expect people to spend this money to use the equipment just 1.5 years.

Bronze Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 85
Why not? People will see this thread and STILL buy that SONY....

DLP technology is not much better.....

CRTs still rule the roost and will for awhile to come.

I have never seen a technology where the normally useless EW is a mandatory purchase as much as in these fixed pixel TVs....

No Credibility, tom
Unregistered guest
Rant, rant, rant....

You're simply not believable!

Foolish ignorance is not sellable.

CRT's suck!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 96
Foolish ignorance is not sellable. ????

Oh yes it is.....Ask Sony or Samsung. Not only is it sellable it is profitable as well!!!!

No Credibility, bong
Unregistered guest
Is lunch over?

I see the CRT zealot has returned.

CRT's suck!

sidxfiles
Unregistered guest
Hi, On my Grand Vega KF-610 I am having the buzz, green light returns to red and tv won't go on problem. The red lamp warning light is not on, but it sounds like it could be the lamp anyway. Is that correct?

JACK B CANADA
Unregistered guest
i WAS GOING TO BUY THE SONY VEGA AFTER SEEING THIS A BIG NO THANKS I WILL STICK TO NEW CRT. TECHNOLOGY IS NOT PERFECTED YET AND THE BULB LIFE TO SHORT. I WILL GIVE THEM A FEW MORE YEARS TO GET IT RIGHT. FOR NOW CRT IS ONLY OPTION

Silver Member

Post Number: 101
Smart man. Sometimes research does pay off in savings and aggravation even if at the expense of another's zeal to be on the cutting edge where one tends to bleed.

No Credibility, bong
Unregistered guest
Is dinner over?

I see the CRT zealot has returned.

CRT's suck!

tom bong is JACK B CANADA. LOL
He now rants to himself. hehe

Username: Strongstyle

I have a KF-50SX100U and have recently found a yellow patch in the middle of the screen (and maybe growing) but I don't have the lines that you guys do, just a big tinted patch that you only really see against white backgrounds. Is this related to the same pretty much unfixable problem that you guys have? I replaced the bulb to no effect :-( Looking at the pic I just took, it looks like most the screen is affected now so it will just be a case of playing with the color/contrast controls to negate it across the whole screen, but if it is fixbale without spending huge money that would be preferable.

Upload

At least this TV has given me A LOT of use over 5 years.

jakey
Unregistered guest
I am pissed off as hell at Sony, but comforted that I am not the only one. My story is typical - purchased KF42WE610 in July 04. Literally days after the warrranty expired, the damn yellow lines showed up (same area - right side). No power outages, no damage or impact to screen, always used with plenty of TLC. This tv is a total lemon. I refuse to pay big money to replace the optical unit. Let me know if you have gotten any answers from Sony.

Silver Member

Post Number: 136
YEah misery does love company doesn't it? and yes typical. There are those who think these posts are the exception and there is no real issue with these TVs. Makes you feel better doesn't it?

5 years? Thats good? Only cost $700-$1000 per year plus lamps? Not bad....You're kidding right? You cannot be happy your TV has crapped on your rug after 5 years of happy use.

jakey
Unregistered guest
Go f#ck yourself, bong.

Username: Douxguerrier

Sony is using a LCOS technology that is difficult to produce with very tight tolerances to adjust the components. I don't know if they will succeed at making it reliable but it will probably take years. So far, I would bet on an other technology like DLP wich is much more reliable and "simple".

I actually managed to find my warranty and thank god I did actually purchase the extended warranty on top of the ordinary which covers it with Mastercare whereby if they can't fix the problem they have to give me a new but comparable TV.

When I phoned Sony about the problem they didn't seem to have a clue. However when the Mastercare guy turned up he phoned his office and someone there said it was the optical block, that Sony have admitted the problem and that Sony offer the replacement part for free as it is a recognised fault.

Mastercare have now taken the machine to put in the replacement part so its waiting time now.

As for the 5 years, seeing as the TV is only actually turned off from 11pm till 7am and is on the other 16 hours a day EVERY day thats a lot of hours and yes i consider 5 years a long time for a TV, if nothing else I'm usually ready to replace the TV for a newer and better one after that amount of time anyway (and this one is too big to put in the bedroom which is where the previous TV usually ends up).

brigopens
Unregistered guest
Same exact problem here, sorry no pic as I've had it repaired... Similar story though.

Bought my Sony 50WE610 2/28/2004 (floor model from Sears for under $2000) Added 5 yr warranty for additional $400. After 1 month, did not work had bulb replaced under warranty(4-12-04). No hassle and worked fine until about two weeks ago when I got the same pixelated yellow line roadmap you guys have described. Been almost exactly 1 1/2 yrs since purchase (plus however long it was used on the floor.)

Called for service, first tech was an idiot, but with phone support diagnosed it as a "light engine problem." (Cost $994.50) They shipped me the new part a few days later, and a real tech came out and installed it in less than 45 minutes this week. (Labor $239.00) Said he hasn't seen this before, but he's a Sears guy, not from Sony. Worked great when he left.

2 days later, will not turn on. I can hear the click, then green light blinks 4 times, followed by an orange/yellow blink, then three reds. No picture... Any help on this one? Also, any progress on getting Sony to acknowledge this/recall sets/class action suit?

Nice to meet you guys, will be back on here checking the status of this increasingly obvious problem. I love this set when it works. Great picture, especially for HD sports broadcasts. But there are obvious problems, and I'm not sure I can recommend buying it unless you go with the longest warranty possible.

Howard W. Kreiner
Unregistered guest
To brigopens: The service manual lists the self-diagnosis codes, and indicates that when the light blinks four times, it is reporting a high temp defect, either one of the fans isn't working, or one of the boards isn't properly connected. It doesn't look like something the homeowner ought to be trying to fix on his own, though.

Stephen D
Unregistered guest
Greetings from Dallas. If anyone is thinking of buying this TV, DON'T. I own a 42 inch WEGA and have had nothing but problems with the MF'er. I'm having this same yellow splotch problem on the right side of my screen. My set is not quite 2 years old, and I personally think it sucks for the amount of money I spent on it.

Long Beach, CA USA

If you're thinking about another brand or technology, check this out...

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/14343.html

You decide for yourself. But for me, it just seems like regardless of the brand, I will most likely get 4~5 years of extended service contract.

Here's a conspiracy theory, these manufactureres put out enough faulty TVs out there to get us to buy the service contracts. From what I hear, these contracts are pretty much pure profit for the sellers. Anyone with me on this one?

Silver Member

Post Number: 180
NO they are putting out UNTESTED product and making the buyers "beta test" it for profit AND getting the EW profits.

Those who sit on the sidelines for a a few more years will benefit by the "sacrifices" the "gotta have it crowd" is making today. And as a bonus buy a better TV for less and have more qiality content as well. Win Win.

You should never buy any product where you HAVE to buy the normally worthless EW.

effwun
Unregistered guest
Add me to the list.

To save repeating, here's my issue - on a TV just over 1 month old.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=6073205

Unregistered guest
You can add me to the list too
called sony today and the service rep said the company has no knowledge of any problems with any models of its LCD sets. I'm going to call them back tomorrow.

Silver Member

Post Number: 189
And you are surprised? OF course they are not going to admit issues.

After all it's only a fraction of buyers posting here who are having your issue...(according to those self appointed experts on this board anyway)

Unregistered guest
Talked to a service center today that was recommended by sony. The person I talked to said that in some cases sony paid for the part. Was wondering if anybody out here had that kind of luck and if so do you have a phone number and name so I can give them a call

Unregistered guest
We also have just had this happen to our 1-1/2 yr old 42" tv. After 2 days of the yellow scribble, we have noticed a small black rectangle with what appears a letter "E" in white. This is located midway down the left side of the screen. Anyone else have this too?

Pascal R.
Unregistered guest
My Sony Wega 50" that I bought 6 months ago just started to have red vertical lines all across it. Still under 1 yrs warranty so tech came and said he rarely saw that, changed something (module I think he said) and said it would be fine. 2 days later same problem came back. Now Sony is sending a certified tech to look at it tomorrow and will probably have to open it up so...not good news. Anybody had the same thing (vertical red lines??) These Wega series are sh**t. Who can afford to pay that amount of money and it only last 6 months to a year?!?!?!

Bronze Member
Username: Hd_fanatic

Boise, ID

Post Number: 65
I had three Sonys, 2 55"er's and an XS 60". All of them had issues. Luckily for me I returned them within BB's 30 day window. I tried contacting sony's customer care before I returned them, and they were of very little help.

IMO, Sony is definately not what they used to be.

Username: Harley572

I have the 42 inch model and had vertcal ines all different colors. sony tech changed what is called Q box. and all is fine so far

Unregistered guest
Soon after my KF50WE610 was repaired,(see my Aug 10 posting), it developed the bad habit of turning itself off about twice a day, blinking the green light four times, delay, then repeating the blinks, until I hit the power button on the remote. Then it would resume playing. I got hold of a service manual ($25 on-line) and found that four-blink code meant a low voltage on one of the boards. The tech insisted on taking the TV to his shop, spent two weeks with it, and returned it after replacing some component whose description meant nothing to me. The set is now working OK, but the service cost almost $400.

It still comes up with a doubled screen image (two smaller copies side by side) on one of the cable channels (the last one viewed before turning it off and only that one channel!)when I turn the set on. It corrects as soon as I change channels, then return to the original one. If I turn it on with another channel selected, there's no problem. The tchnicial thinks this is a cable company problem, but whether or no, I'm not about to put out a lot of money for him to use billable hours to research it.

tpense
Unregistered guest
Well, well, what do you know. We have the same problem with the yellow road map on our 50" screen. Obviously, its a defect that Sony will have to answer for, especially when there's strength in numbers. Everyone should keep putting on the pressure to them by calling the district office, threatening to post editorials in newspapers and calling the technical support people. We left our tv on for 4 days straight and most of the lines have disappeared but this is a ridiculous ritual to do and who says is won't reappear? I wonder is the price drop is due to the fact that Sony is aware of this problem?

Unregistered guest
i have a Sony kf-42we610 that is 1.75 years old. it has a small greeen patch that is visible when the screen is white. it is annoying but usable. yesterday i noticed small green pixels lines that are about 2 inches in length. i dont have an extended warranty. is sony liable for parts to replace this? thanks

Very Interested
Unregistered guest
Not after all that time. But you saved so much passing on that extended warranty you can easily pay for the repair yourself right? Let us know how much it comes to.

KBell
Unregistered guest
Add another "rare" occurrence to the list. Purchased KF50WE610 in Oct. 2003. The purple/green roadmap appeared this weekend on the left side. Thank goodness (I hope) for the extended warranty.

Unregistered guest
I live in the Philippines. I've been looking at the local Sony LCD projection TVs. The model numbers are different here and the TV's are assembled in China. The 42 inch unit is KF-WE42A1, The 50 inch unit is KF-WE50A1, The 60 inch unit is KF-WS60A1. Does anyone have information regarding these same problems occuring with any of the overseas units I've listed?

Unregistered guest
This is a defect with the KF-60WE610 television that I have experienced too. There are three lenses in the television, each with a different primary color, and sometimes those lenses will burn causing the discoloration.

Unfortunately, you have to have it serviced.

I got my TV at BestBuy and bought the service plan with it... after the one service call about 1.5 years after purchasing the TV, it has paid for itself.

Got my TV back from mastercare today. When they came over they said that Sony were replacing the faulty part free of charge, but on the receipt of repair it has the Optical Block being listed as £450. Either way, i payed nothing and the TV seems to be 100% again and Im happy :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 644
People need to see this stuff

Silver Member

Post Number: 738
bump

Unregistered guest
I Purchased a Sony Grand WEGA KDF-55WF655 this May and after four months the sound started acting up. While watching HDTV the middle channel (speech) of the Dolby 5.1 went out on one and then two channels. It was truly weird watching a show, hearing all the sound effects, music, etc. while watching silent moving lips.

Did the online chat thing (what a waste of time!) and after 25 minutes they told me to reset the TV. I reset the TV and after the 40 minute setup was finish the sound was fully restored but the following week the same thing happened. I called Sony's tech support line and they put me in touch with a local authorized Sony repair technician. He thought he knew what was causing the problem and asked if the picture ever went from HDTV to a normal screen and sure enough it had. I would be watching HDTV and you would hear a crack or pop and a smaller none HD screen would show up. Well that was the clincher and he said he would order the part and see me next week. I'm guessing this is not a common problem but one that happens from time to time. From the technicians comments it's clear this TV has one of the best HDTV pictures around but the Sony products are lacking in design and prone to problems.

From my point of view the Sony WEGA has an absolutely great picture and watching football and basketball in HDTV is awesome. However, after reading everyone's comments it's obvious that Sony has a long way to go working out bug after bug. I'm strongly considering buying the extended warrantee directly from Sony.

Silver Member

Post Number: 834
bump

jimfillmore
Unregistered guest
I have the 50 inch model and have the exact same problem; yellow lines looks like a map of city streets or something, lower right corner. The tech that came to my house told me it was the "Optical block unit", and it needs to be replaced. $1000!
The people at Sony say they have no record of this being a recurring problem. Typical.

Silver Member

Post Number: 843
bump

Username: Dhaniyal

I narrowed my selection to Sony kdf-60xs955 and Sony E60A10 but I'll look at anything someone seggust even CRT RPs.I have seen akai crt rps with hd tuner which was not that bad.
Anybody like to make any seggustions.
Thanks

kml
Unregistered guest
42" wega lcd one year six months old. Yellow lines similar to a city map appeared on left side of screen. Any helpful suggestions.

vlui
Unregistered guest
leave your tv on with any tv channel until all the lines disappear. then turn off for one night and the tv should be back to normal the next day.

swg996
Unregistered guest
I have a Sony KF-42WE610 that has developed pink splotches on the screen especially when the screen has a white background. Does anybody else have this problem or know of any fix?
Thanks!

Unregistered guest
Same problem, same response from SONY- say they never heard of such a problem. They are a bunch of GD liars. I may take them to court for recovery of this expensive repair- $1200.00. A class action suit should be commenced against these cheats. Their legal dept was to call me- no reply in over a week.

Username: Old_grunt

I'm new to this site and have a question. I was planning to buy the KDFE 60A20 LCD from Sony through Crutchfield but after reading about this problem of the "road map" I'm not so sure of the purchase. Are any other brands having the same problem and is it just LCD's and not DLP's. I'd hate to spend all that money on a product that Sony won't make right. I really like that 60"--any suggestions on other brands that don't have such problems? Thanks

jon b denver
Unregistered guest
I have the same problem. I think we should all contact an atty. Anyone up for a class action suit?

john from nh
Unregistered guest
i have a sony KP-53s25 (53 in proj) it is getting high voltage but screen does not light.
flyback is good
need help

BobTV
Unregistered guest
I have the KF42we610 (1 year and 9 months old, Serial number 9008937, build September 2003) and have the yellow/blue roadmap thing as well on the lower left quadrant of the screen. I spent an hour on the phone with Sony yesterday. I have an Event number and I have taken my TV to a Sony Authorized repair shop. He had has seen this before, and it is a Light Engine/Optical block defect. I have escalated the issue with Sony and I actually made the rep veiw this website with the pictures of the defect. Its even attached to my Event file. Once I get an estimate, I am going back to Sony to get them to pay for this. Otherwise, my lawyer friends are going to have a field day. Just wanted to let you all know someone is going to take this one the full length of the field. A reminder to all: When calling Sony, be polite but firm. Profanity, inpoliteness, and emotion fueled ranting only gets you shut down. Get an Event number, go get an estimate, and challenge Sony to stand behind their product. Less than a 2 year life span on a $2500 TV is unacceptable. The Customer is always right.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us