DVI and component shortage

Silver Member
Username: Tpizzle

Post Number: 462
the tv i am getting is the RCA HD52W59. It has only 1 component video connection and 1 DVI connection though. If i have a dvd player, a 7.1 Dolby receiver, and a cable box will i be able to hook everything up?
If so, what should i connect using the component cable and what should i connect using the DVI connection? My DVD player does not have a DVI output but does have progressive scan if this helps. thanks everybody.

RandyM
Unregistered guest
db, you have several options. 1) If your cable box has HDMI out, I would connect it with HDMI and the DVD player with component. 2) However, if you want to use component from the cable box and DVD player, don't despair. . . there are a number of nice component switch boxes out there. Some of them have remote control switching. 3) You might just choose to use component for the cable box and s-video from the DVD player. S-video is only slightly lower quality than component.

Silver Member

Post Number: 463
can I connect HDMI out to my tv's DVI in?

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Yes, you can with an HDMI to DVI adapter cable. Then you can use a separate RCA audio cable for the audio to the tv. I assume you understand that HDMI includes audio, while DVI does not, so you will need to look in the tv instruction manual to set the tv to get the audio from unused audio input jacks. By the way, HDMI and DVI cables are not cheap, so that might play into your decision.

Silver Member

Post Number: 465
so if my cable box has a HDMI out: i can connect my box to my tv using DVI/HDMI converter cable. I can connect my DVD player to my audio receiver using component. Then connect my audio receiver to the tv using component. I am also getting a dvr with the cable package, will this probably be a seperate box or will it be included in the cable box? if seperate should i just connect that to my receiver using component-cuz my receiver has 4 component slots. thanks for the help

RandyM
Unregistered guest
"i can connect my box to my tv using DVI/HDMI converter cable" Yes, plus an RCA audio cable for the audio.

DVRs are often in the same box with satellite receivers, but I'm not certain if they are paired with cable boxes, too. The cable guy should give you some advice on how to properly hook up the DVR, but I think it needs to be between the cable box and the tv. I am assuming that you are using the receiver just for audio and not using it for video switching.

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 948
The cable company DVRs are just cable box tuners with hardrives built in. They look exactly the same on the outside and no extra cabling is needed.

It sounds like your Reciever has component switching buit in, so your connect everything thru that. That will make switching sources easier as the audio and video will switch together.

If you want to go th eDVI to HDMI cable route check out parts express. You can get the dvi to HDMI cable for under $20. Best Buy and other retailers will charge you closer to $100.

Silver Member

Post Number: 467
my receiver is just a home audio receiver but has 4 component video connections. ill just use as many components as possible and connect the tv and cable box using HDMI to DVI. thanks everybody.
side ?-does using a s-video connection make a noticable difference or is it a pretty clear connection for high definition.

RandyM
Unregistered guest
S-video is slightly lower quality than component. But the difference between component and HDMI is subtle and many people would not notice it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us