HD receiver=ATSC tuner

annonymousdd
Unregistered guest
so is an HD receiver only necessary if the television does not have a ATSC tuner? just wondering because many of the tvs im looking at say "external receiver necessary"-only the ones that do not have a built in tuner say that.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 523
Sets with an internal ATSC tuner are capable of receiving digital ED/HD local network stations off-air with a standard VHF/UHF antenna. These include abc, nbc, cbs, fox, pbs, and any others in your specific area. Check www.antennaweb.org and put in your zip code to see what's available in your area.

All other pay HD channels are available on cable or a sat service like Discovery HD, HDNET, UHD,HBO HD, Showtime HD, and ESPN HD.

Cable and sat providers have set top boxes that include ATSC tuners for local ED/HD network channels. With cable the local network digital signals are riding with the other cable signals. With sat you have to connect a VHF/UHF antenna to their set top box to get your locals. Sat doesn't have them on their transponders yet, but they will next year.

If you go with one of these services you don't need an internal ATSC tuner for your local network digital channels.

Silver Member
Username: Videobruce

Buffalo , NY

Post Number: 102
Not all QAM channels are encripted.
Your 'locals', at least the foyr major networks will be in the clear and possibly a couple of other HD channels.

Silver Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 371
annonymousdd,

I would ditto what FYI, VideoBruce said above... and add as something to think about, all things considered that when an internal tuner goes bad, it takes the tv down with it. (I've been thru 4 or 5 external tuners (that died)....)

So I prefer an external tuner when it dies... over an internal one... that when it dies it takes the tv down with it.

One more thing to thing about, compare the replacement cost of an external tuner, to an internal one... Once you pull yourself off the floor after getting the price of an internal tuner, you'll understand what I'm talking about.

Another issue is if say you do get a set with an internal tuner... and it goes bad three years into ownership.... more than likely a new internal tuner won't be available from the mfg. Mfg's these days have a bad habit of making so many spares.. and once they're gone, they're GONE.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us