Anyone else having troubles with Sony service?

Username: Anthonymatta

Post Number: 1
I bought a 50" sony plasma, the KE-50XS910 last year and had it replaced because of a defect. Sony sent me a REFURBISHED unit after promising a new one, the model #KDE-50XS955. I have had nothing but problems with this, from burn in to distortion and unclarity of high defintion programming. Sony technical service refuses to call me back. Has anyone else had a similar occurrence? I have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau as a final course of action. Please email me at teddog213@hotmail.com to discuss further.

Silver Member
Username: Cuylar

MN USA

Post Number: 128
I AM!!!!! I have some threads covering my KDE-50XS955 issues.

Post Number: 3
Blair, when I get home, I will send you the letter I sent to the better business bureau, it covers all of my troubles in detail, more extensive than what I have listed. I am having MAJOR issues with Sony. Power in numbers, the more we can get with a similar cause, the stronger a case we can make and the more we can force Sony's hand

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 168
Sony is moving away from the Plasma business. They stopped making their own glass this year, probably due to the high number of QA issues like you all are having.

Post Number: 4
Marc, I have heard the same thing. Judging by their service, it is no wonder why. Should have gone with the Pioneer like I originally wanted. I would highly reccomend buying anything but Sony to anyone in search of a television.

Silver Member

Burnsville, MN USA

Post Number: 136
OMFG! I got them to do it. Not without a headache. Long story short... Sony sent the approval to the wrong service station in my area... BUT supposedly I am going to get a brand new screen. I'll keep you all posted.

Silver Member

Post Number: 183
Well Congratulations. That sounds like a good thing to me.

Silver Member

Burnsville, MN USA

Post Number: 137
OMG... I think this will be rejected again.... here's a link to the part the service center is going to order.... grrrrr

http://www.partstore.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductSKU=7957926&ProductType=PART

Silver Member

Post Number: 187
Seems like they are sending you the glass. Weird. I have never seen this attempted ever. They should just send you a 50 inch new panasonic Plasma at half of the cost.

Silver Member

Burnsville, MN USA

Post Number: 138
That's the debate. To repair will cost 5-6k, and that won't really make economic sense. for them or for me. It's a 50"panny plasma or a 60"sxrd for me if i get refunded.

Post Number: 5
I had a technician come out a few weeks back to examine my television, and Sony told him to bill me for the service!!! This, after I requested paperwork about the length of warranty on the new television, and they told me I couldn't have doucmentation (WTF!) but said I was covered. To be continued...

Silver Member

Burnsville, MN USA

Post Number: 169
well today i just got a call from the repair shop. the conversation went in this order:

-earlier this morning we got the authorization to order in your replacement screen.
-we already ordered the screen.
-now the process in not stoppable.
-your "new" screen might look better or worse.
-we will replace the screen in our lab and send yours back before you look at the screen.
-it will take a minimum of a week to swap the screen once we have it.
-no you cannot stop the process.
-no i cannot tell you how much we were invoiced for the replacement screen.
-no, we will not fix again if you are more dissatisfied with the new screen.

WHAT KIND OF SERVICE IS THAT?????

Silver Member

Post Number: 206
Cuylar- go with the flow on this one. Sit back, re;ax and wait for the new screen. Sony uses Panny glass now, so unless they are pulling old Sony screens, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Silver Member

Burnsville, MN USA

Post Number: 176
ummmmm..... yeahhhhhh..... last time i checked Sony doesn't make plasma tvs anymore... so how would they be using panny glass? I'm sorry for sounding like a jerk, i'm just trying to cover my @$$.

Silver Member

Post Number: 214
Just consider it an amusement park ride- it really may work out. They still badge plasmas with their name on it; they just import the glass, just like Fujitsu. If they get in new glass and mate it to the current electronics it may work out.

Unregistered guest
I just received from repair a DVD/VCR Recorder RDRVX500 that still has the same problem. It's like they did nothing and just returned it. Anyone else know if that's typical?

Silver Member

Burnsville, MN USA

Post Number: 197
we'll find out when my screen comes back

Anonymous

Everyone has a problem with sony service. You get what you pay for. That is why we do our best not to sell sony.

Silver Member

Burnsville, MN USA

Post Number: 205
well that can't be true cuz you pay more for sony... so you should get more.

Silver Member

Burnsville, MN USA

Post Number: 209
Let me tell you all a sad story..... this may actually bring tears to your eyes.

My repair guy came today.....

that's about all the good news there is.

He came late. no big deal, i understand traffic can be a pain.

He came alone. Ummmm this is a 175lb tv.... so I had to help him move it to the van.... not the worst thing in the world.

BUT

He said he didn't want the stand. So he was going to take it off. This must been his first time with a drill. he stripped the first screw he tried to take out. Luckily he was able to use a screwdriver and get it out. I gave him a concerned look and he said something about it being my fault for "stripping it when i assembled the tv. I told him to look at all the other screws. there wouldn't be a scratch. There wasn't. He continued to take the next 2 off and had no problem so he looked at me and said "told ya the first one was stripped...." I said yeah, look at it... it is.... He tried to stick the bit into the last one and CLUNKCLUNKCLUNKCLUNK!!!!! Stripped bald. He mangled the back of the case while digging for the head with his vise grip. HE BROKE THE HEAD OFF....

So he said it was my fault as I stood there and continued on with puting in the two good scres back in and told me to just help him carry it to his van.

I called sony and expressed my lack of trust in him as a repairman. They said it was documented and that i need to see it through.

I am upset.

Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 250
Hmm. He sounds pretty unhappy to have to do the work. I wonder why. WQhats the name of this shop and how is the shop related to A. Your site of purchase b. Sony.

You have my curiosity. Also, when I transport my plasma ( which I have done) I always box it in its original inner box with packing. In this instance, I would have done it so it was returned that way. One last thought-- if it were me I would want to see it tested successfully in the repair shop before having it brought back.

Does this guy own his own shop?

If not- I might have a pleasant sit down chat with the owner or manager.

Silver Member

Burnsville, MN USA

Post Number: 210
The shop is Television Service Labs
They are about 30 miles away. They are an authorized repair shop by Sony. But not other affiliations. They are not associated with the store i purchased from.

From what I can tell the guy ownes the shop. I think it is his wife that answers every time I have called. He told me he was the only repair guy.

If he can't get that screw out he can't take the stand off and can't replace the screen. I had better get a replacement panel on the back of my TV for a the damage done. If it isn't I will take a bunch of pictures and show all of you what a disaster this became.

Silver Member

Post Number: 251
In Minneapolis, it seems there should be more than one Sony service repair shop. It really sounds like he doesnt want to do the work. It is hard to imagine how a one man repair shop could achive what factory lines are doing in mating glass to electronics-- but I am now talking in a rea I have no first hand expereience in.

That screw should not be an excuse to not do the work. He may realize he has biten off more than he can chew.

Silver Member

Burnsville, MN USA

Post Number: 211
The screw goes through a rod that locks the display to the stand. with the stand on you cannot remove the back panel. If he cannot take it off he really cannot work on the TV. I already know he didn't want to do the work. There are 2 repair shops in my service area. The other shop would not come out to look at my tv when i told them it is a pixel problem because of their history with sony on this one. That was mentioned in the above post. The other reason why I had to shoose this loser is because sony wouldn't cover me if the problem was not seen within the mfgr warranty period. and this other shop wouldn't even come out til after the new year. (because of the holidays)

the biggest deal is the damage he will do to my tv when he is fishing around to disassemble it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 257
When I am in Vegas in January( CES)- I'll have a word with the Sony folks and fish around a bit- I'll let you know.

Silver Member

Burnsville, MN USA

Post Number: 212
Thanks. What's CES?

Silver Member

Post Number: 261
CES Is the Consumer Electronics show. It is held each year in Vegas. I'll be there January 4-7th. Sony will be there too.

Silver Member

Burnsville, MN USA

Post Number: 219
So Marc, how was the show?

Silver Member

Post Number: 288
CES was wonderful. But on your issue- I did not have success. Sony is OUT of the plasma business entirely. Not one product on display. In approaching the Sony representation there, each of the folks I talked to was attached to very specific product areas and none knew each other product areas, and no one would talk plasma. I am sorry I could not be more helpful on your issue.

Silver Member

Burnsville, MN USA

Post Number: 220
I got the tv back. It was damaged by the repairman who still blames it on me. He took a drill to the screw in the back and destroyed the tv and stand. I thought there are reverse thread screws made just for a situation like this. The TV is VERY wobbly now and I'm afraid to touch it. I wrote sony and called them but I don't think they want to help from here. They want me to pursue the repair shop even though they made me use that shop.

Silver Member

Post Number: 289
Did he replace the glass? And di you turn it on? In the repairshop?

Silver Member

Burnsville, MN USA

Post Number: 222
The glass was replaced. New screen. They would not let me come to the shop. They said that it had to be brought to my home first. Now I just have to ISF calibrate it again.

Silver Member

Post Number: 291
Well how does it look?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us