DVD quality on HDTV & varying picture size

Username: 10jed

Post Number: 1
I just brought home a Sony KDFE50A10 and am struggling with my DVD player(s). My Panasonic DVD-S27 looks like crap, even in progressive output mode using component video. There are artifacts that aren't exactly macroblocking but a regularized pattern of patches visible in high density scenes like trees and such. So I tried my el cheapo Cyperhome CH DVD-300 and it actually looks better - except that the image size is different. With both players set to 16:9 and the TV set to Full, the Panasonic fills the screen with the correct aspect ratio. The Cyperhome is slightly letterboxed. If I set the TV to 4:3 mode, the Panasonic image goes completely from bottom to top of the screen (with curtains, of course) but the Cyberhome looks shrunk a bit so there is black above and below the image. What gives - it almost looks like the 2 players output different resolutions, though both set to 16:9 and component video. So...
- Any suggestions re quality and artifacts? Do I have to spring for an HDMI capable player?
- Why would the picture sizes be different between the 2 players?

Many thanks for any answers...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us