Archive through April 24, 2006Jack Roper100
Archive through February 25, 2006WeAreNotAlone69100
Archive through January 27, 2006Bill McCutcheon100
Archive through January 05, 2006matt crownover100
Archive through December 10, 2005WeAreNotAlone69100
Closed: New threads not accepted on this page

Username: Miloman

Post Number: 2
Fist of all, I am new to this forum. I have been reading all of the ? and awnsers and of course all of the personal bashings between some. I thought this was a place to relay information that might help someone out. That being said here is my ?. I am considering the purchase of the new JVC 58S998 D-ILA tv. Is there anyone out there that already has one, and if so what are your thoughts about the tv's performance and picture. Any info someone or everyone can give me would be greatly appr. I am looking to buy my fist HD set and this one has really caught my eye because of its depth at 10.7 in. I will work great for my install needs. Thanks again. Dave.

Bronze Member
Username: Turbo15479

Post Number: 76
If you are willing to buy a JVC with all the stated problems you are like a cigarette somker that believes they cannot get lung cancer. Bob

Silver Member
Username: Tvshopper

Post Number: 155
David,

My experience with JVC (I've owned two DILA sets beginning in 10/04) has been excellent. My current set has been up and running since 10/05 on an average of 5-6 hours per day with no problems whatsoever (estimated bulb hours 3,000+).

There were definite problems with the early sets (JVC actually replaced my first generation set (they offered) because of light engine issues) and an early batch of bulbs. However, the reports of bulb issues has been slowing down significantly. Also, the reviews and feedback of the later versions of the TV have been very, very good. Let's remember that the bulb is subject to a lot of environmental issues (i.e. power quality, shut down cycles, proper ventilation, etc.) and some have not treated their bulb with the care required to maintain long life.

I have not seen a review of the new slimmer sets, nor have I read any first-hand accounts. They certainly look gorgeous and the slim profile and ability to hang it on a wall is intriguing. I know that when I go for my next TV, JVC will be in the running. You might try to see if there are any postings in the AVS Forums (they are more active).

You will have to decide for yourself whether going the JVC route is prudent. All I can do is report my own experience as an owner. And, that experience has been great. I have one question for Bob Smith and it is an honest one...Have you even owned one of these sets? Or is your opinion strictly formed based on the posts in here?

Username: Np56

FLorida

Post Number: 5
I agree with tvshopper - My 2006 55" JVC has over 3,000 hrs on the original bulb and still looks/works great. I Just bought the 61" HD-61FN97 so we'll see how it lasts. Both TVs are hooked up to their own UPS, and will run approx 6-8 hrs a day. Both TVs have great pictures and exibit no issues or problems at all.

The internet (and Forums like this) are a great way to spread information, unfortunately, sometimes the information is not always correct, or an issue appears worse than it really is.

Looking at these boards it appears most if not all the manufacturers have some kind of issues.

Post Number: 3
Thanks tvshopper for your info. You are very correct. The ability to wall hang the new JVC sets is going to play heavily in my buying decision. I really love the looks of the new sets. But at a $3000 price tag I sure do not want to make a mistake if at all possible. And quite frankly I dont really see the conection between buying a tv and a smoker and lung cancer. HOW CHILDISH as in bobs coment. Again thanks for your info. If you here anything more on the new sets please post and let me know. Dave.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 77
If you cannot see the relevance you must not have enough brain cells. Cigarettes are proven to be a carcinigen but people keep on smoking. JVC has proven to have problems and you are still looking at one. Makes perfect sense to me. Bob

Bronze Member
Username: Mcghost

Post Number: 12
Hmmm...wonder if these positive posts for JVC/guilt ridden posts for those having issues are a result of the "spin" team for JVC after they read that lawyers are circling the forum? I just find it strange that TV shopper has not one, but 2 accomplices appearing at once.

OR another thought, how many screen names could be registered to one person?

I also find it odd that "people" who have no problems with their JVC's find this forum. If my TV were working, the last place I would be searching is a message board that states "JVC D-ILA VERY Short Bulb life".

Another thing I don't appreciate is them trying to convey the idea that it is somehow our fault that their bulbs are defective(too much dust, positioning the sub woofer too close to the TV and so on....).

Oh, and how very slick of marketing to work in promos in a complaint thread for the new slim design model.

I wasn't thinking of contacting the attorneys that posted here, but these lame "I love my JVC" posts are making me change my mind. So, to those of you from "The Firm" go back to the conference room and try and come up with another way of pointing the blame for your faulty products.

Good luck. *sarcasm intended*

Username: Whathappend

Post Number: 8
My JVC is working well. I would buy another JVC if everything keeps working. I have the 2nd Generation JVC (52G886) and purchased it 8/2005. My first bulb went out at 2087 hours which was 10 months of heavy TV watching. JVC sent me a new Bulb overnight FedEx and the replacement bulb has 1936 hours of use on it and I have taken it out and looked at the bulb's internal glass and it is holding up well. The original bulb must have been defective because mine developed a bubble at the base at about 1500 hours of use (I noticed the picture get dimmer). So at this point I believe JVC that the new Bulbs are improved and I will get about 2 years of use on my current bulb. I think most users don't understand bulbs are consumable and if I get 4000 hours per bulb change I will be happy (I know JVC stated 6000 hours but I wouldn't want my TV to be that dim before replacing the bulb.)

BTW - I found this forum in my pre-buying research that I do before any major purchase. I really wanted LCOS and JVC was the only LCOS TV when I purchased. I purchased a 4 year extended warranty and bulb warranty just incase JVC didn't fix the issues that happened in their first generation LCOS but it appears they have fixed the green blob issue.

Bronze Member
Username: Potentialjvcowner

Post Number: 72
There is no "spin" going on here, especially on a Saturday night at 8:56. I'm just a normal retail customer.

Barry Watzman
5153 Brookstone Street
North Canton, Ohio
Watzman@neo.rr.com

FLorida

Post Number: 6
To Susan Henson - I am not an "accomplice". If you do a little research you will find I first posted here on 02/29/06 in regards to programming a remote. At THAT time I had just purchased my first JVC. Also at that time I read (on these boards) about the JVC bulb issue.
I re-read the owners manual (yeah that's right I read it again) to make sure I operate the set as instructed. I don't work for JVC (never have), I don't know tvshopper, I am not compensated in any way for my comments.

I have some questions for you Susan. Was your JVC hooked up to a UPS? how many times a day did you turn your JVC on/off? Do you have the proper clearance around the TV? (for proper ventilation) IS there a lot if dust near the TV?
Did YOU read the setup and use instructions?

I have a feeling you did not.

Improper setup and or use of ANYTHING could cause it to fail prematurely. *Sarcasm intended*

Bronze Member
Username: Mcghost

Post Number: 13
The JVC is hooked up to a Monster Power Home Theatre Power Bar 1100. The TV is only turned on once per day. There is proper clearance and is dusted regularly and there is a Hepa air purifier in the room.

The only error I see is, that I HAD an Onyko 150 W powered sub located close to the TV prior to the bulb burning out. Having said that, the DH does not like the "surround sound" feeling and the sub was rarely used.

FLorida

Post Number: 7
Susan, The Monster PowerBar is only a power conditioner, not an uninterruptible power supply. The JVC needs to be connected to a UPS so that IF there is a power failure (no matter how small), and the power drops long enough for the TV to lose power, the cooling fan can run for the 90 seconds after the tv is powered off.

Without a UPS, if the TV loses power, it shuts off AND the fan that COOLS the bulb cannot run, resulting in a short bulb life.

A UPS either allows the TV to run until the power comes back on, or allows the user to power off the TV (which allows the fan to run)

Post Number: 4
Bob U R A Idiot PLAIN and simple. U missed MY point entirely. Buy that does not surprise me.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 78
If trying to help people not invest in an item with known problems is a mistake then I did indeed am an idiot. Bob

Silver Member

Post Number: 156
Bob Smith,

You never answered my question regarding whether you own or have ever owned one of these TVs. Do you or did you?

Susan Henson,

Your schtick sounds like a tape recording of Rodger Nash. JVC plants, fake posts, black helicopters, etc. Puhleeeeze....

Regarding posting in here, go to the JVC DILA post to 9/2004 or so and you will see my screen name posting. I've been in and out of this forum doing research, comparing tweaking notes with other owners and providing a different point of view from the bashers (my true experiences...not all of which have been positive).

I certainly understand why someone that is displeased with their product would be angry with the manufacturer of that product. And, I recognize their right to post their experiences with out impugning them or their existance. Now, please afford me and others the same respect. Be able to agree to disagree. Just because you hold an opinion does not make it right and mean that we all should hold the same opinion.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
But it's not clear that there are "known [systemic] problems". JVC makes millions of TV sets annually. This is a forum for people who have failures, and of course, in a population of millions, there are failures. Only short lamp life shows up as a consistent issue, but JVC themselves admits that there was a run of bad lamps a couple years ago, and we have no way of knowing whether the premature failures reported here represent .001% of the population or 35% of the population. Further, every other brand of large screen HDTV is reporting various problems also, many of which seem far more severe to me than the JVC problems (take a look at the Samsung threads .....). Certainly anyone purchasing these sets should make the purchase "fully informed", but at the same time, the fact that in a population of millions some failures do occur is to be expected. I'd love to have some statistically valid information on the lamp failure rate with current sets and current lamps, but we don't. However, if you go back through this forum, you will see that the complaint level is WAY down from what it was. And you can get replacement lamps new for $160 or so.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
But it's not clear that there are "known [systemic] problems". JVC makes millions of TV sets annually. This is a forum for people who have failures, and of course, in a population of millions, there are failures. Only short lamp life shows up as a consistent issue, but JVC themselves admits that there was a run of bad lamps a couple years ago, and we have no way of knowing whether the premature failures reported here represent .001% of the population or 35% of the population. Further, every other brand of large screen HDTV is reporting various problems also, many of which seem far more severe to me than the JVC problems (take a look at the Samsung threads .....). Certainly anyone purchasing these sets should make the purchase "fully informed", but at the same time, the fact that in a population of millions some failures do occur is to be expected. I'd love to have some statistically valid information on the lamp failure rate with current sets and current lamps, but we don't. However, if you go back through this forum, you will see that the complaint level is WAY down from what it was. And you can get replacement lamps new for $160 or so.

Bronze Member
Username: Ebric

Post Number: 19
David,

Samsung has the lowest failure and complaint rates accross the board and the highest Consumer Reports ratings. JVC is average. Fanboys complain to Consumer Reports not me.

On a side note, you can get a PANASONIC TH-58PX600U Plasma for under 3K that is slimmer, with an overall better picture (if you intend to game on it or sit closer than 6' stick with projection). I am sure in 6-12mo the new type JVC will be cheaper than the Plasma but for now seems crazy to spend more for a tv that is overall worse.

Silver Member

Post Number: 157
joblow,

Do you have a link or text regarding the Consumer Reports ratings? I would like to read that for sure.

The only thing about a plasma is that they do burn in and burn out over time. The number I usually hear associated with burn out (i.e. the display is worthless) is 10,000 hours. That isn't very long if you use your TV often. In fact, when I bought my TV, that fact took plasma off my list. I'm not knocking the quality of the TV but until they get the technology to the point that it is renewable (i.e. rechargable or fixable), that is too much money to spend every 5 years.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
I dobut if the Plasma set is 1080P ... there are very, very few 1080P plasma sets. And for me, 1080P was the first criteria in selecting a set.

I subscribe to a Samsung board, and there are a lot of people who have failures of the "digital" board and the color wheels (unique to DLP) and the repair costs are $600 to $1,200. Samsung has been very good about covering these, even sometimes when the warranty has expired, but I don't see anywhere near the number of JVC problems [OTHER than early lamp failures] that I see in the Samsung sets (the DLP technology, because of the mechanical color wheel, may have an issue in that regard). Also, some people simply can't watch a DLP set at all, due to the color wheel and the fact that some people perceive a "rainbow effect". That's not an issue with the LCoS technology. And Samsung also had a batch of "bad lamps" that were failing early, which they have been replacing under warranty (even if the warranty had expired).

As to thickness, in my view even 8 to 10 inches is too thick to wall mount (which, in fact, I don't want to do in the first place), and actually a deeper set may be beneficial if the set is sitting on a table or stand, in terms of tip-over stability. I also think that the slightly thicker sets are better in terms of having freedome from optical distortion in the system of lenses and mirrors required to project a 50 to 70 inch image when the total set thickness gets down in the 12" and under range.

I believe that the ultimate winner will be direct view LCD, but at this time, it's still too expensive to get a 56" 1080P LCD. I got my JVC 56FN97 new from Best Buy, and my final cost was around $1,350 (I managed to buy it very, very right). My only concern is the lamp life issue, because now that I have the set, I find that our viewing rate is going to be a lot higher than I thought .... about 3,000 hours per year. So far I'm on the original lamp (1,000 hours). I've also found a source of used still working (hours vary and unknown) lamps for about $90 each. These are lamps that have been removed from sets that are undergoing warranty replacement or repair to the "light engine".

Bronze Member

There have been several Consumer's Reports reviews, but the best/most recent one is in the March 2007 issue. In the review of models using any rear-projection technology, on page 32 of the March issue, the JVC 56FN97 was ranked # 5 of 22 sets tested. Sets 1 thru 4 were all Toshiba models, but two of them were only 720p. And the differences in "overall score" of these 5 models was very small. Not a single Samsung model appears in this particular review. Sets using direct view LCD or Plasma technology were reviewed separately.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79
I did own one of these sets. The first one lasted 3 days and the bulb popped. It had 5 hours viewing on it. I took it back and brought another one home. In three weeks this one had problems. I took it back and got a refund. I also had 2 other JVC products and when they were a little over a year old they were both broken. These were not big ticket items. The television I own now is a 1080p Samsung with led technology. There is no bulb to replace,it has leds and these last a long time. It is a 56 inch and it has a very slim case. They are selling now at buy.com for a little over 2,000.00 delivered. That would depend on your zip code though. I will try to include th link if anyone wants to take a look.
Samsung 56 inch 1080p LED Slim HD DLP TV

SAMSUNG HLT5687S 56 Inch LED Slim HD DLP TV. Enjoy more picture and less frame with Samsungs HL-T5687S DLP HDTV. The piano black bezel is just 0.6 inch wide the sets slim depth lets it fit where others will not. The energy efficient 56 inch screen features a powerful, long lasting LED light engine that turns on almost instantly. Full HD 1080p resolution and Samsung Cinema Smooth technology deliver a wide range of brilliant colors, with bright images and crisp definition. The blackest blacks, brightest whites and nuanced tones are yours with a 10,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio. Hidden speakers deliver clear, robust SRS TruSurround XT sound. The 120Hz switching speed and Game Mode keep gamers marveling at the lifelike action, while making this set future ready. A wide range of audio, video and HDMI inputs that allow digital connectivity to Cable/Satellite boxes, Blu ray players, AV receivers, and more.

Special Returns Policy
Due to manufacturers' policies, Buy.com cannot accept returns on this item for any reason. The manufacturer will handle all exchanges and replacements. Please contact the manufacturer directly and they will assist you with repair or replacements. NO REFUNDS ARE AVAILABLE FOR THIS PRODUCT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. THIS PRODUCT CAN ONLY BE RETURNED FOR REPAIR OR EXCHANGE.
Click here to view the Special Returns Policy.

Click here for a list of Manufacturers' contact information.

Features Ports 3 x HDMI
USB
RS-232C
Manufacturer Samsung
Actual Screen Size 56"
Video System ATSC
Manufacturer Part Number HLT5687S
Projection Technology DLP
Compatible Technology HDTV
Resolution 1920 x 1080
Product Name 87S Series HLT5687S 56" Projection TV

Actual Screen Size 56"
Ports 3 x HDMI
USB
RS-232C
Video System ATSC
Manufacturer Samsung
Dimensions 13.4" Depth
Manufacturer Part Number HLT5687S
Sound System Surround
Additional Information Ports Description: PC Input3 x HDMI: Digital A/V
Projection Technology DLP
Compatible Technology HDTV
Product Series 87S
Resolution 1920 x 1080
Product Name 87S Series HLT5687S 56" Projection TV
Product Model HLT5687S
Contrast Ratio 10000:1

Write a Review

Be the first user to review this item.

Username: Lldeleon

Post Number: 1
I recently purchased a JVC 56FC97. Has anyone had any success in routing the audio signal to an external amplifier when using using an HDMI cable from the cable box or DVD player to the TV? I've been told by JVC that this can't be done since they haven't figured out how to split the audio portion of the digital input signal. They also didn't rule out that this might be resolved in a future firmware upgrade. Has anyone heard of this or dealt with this issue?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 77
Forget the TV (mute it), take the audio signal directly from the cable box or STB's RCA jacks, ignoring the audio component of the HDMI cable.

If the firmware is upgradeable, I sure have some suggestions. But I'm not aware that there have ever been any firmware upgrades for any of these sets.

Username: Robert94114

I had looked at the JVCs in a couple stores (along with the Samsungs and Toshibas and ....) but it was all so confusing I never could make up my mind..... I happened to end up with a Toshiba.

I came here to find info on bulbs, as these are pretty much the same issues for all DLPs I'd think. The specific one for mine costs like $185

I just got a refurb Toshiba 56MX195 (rather randomly) for what I thought was a great price and a stand to keep the thing off the carpet and for good airflow. But I searched around and got the 5 year TV for like 100 and 3 year (2 bulb) bulb for about 100 just in case. Reading some of the issues with bulbs dimming, being turned to the high setting, and then popping shortly after. Sounds like a good idea I bought the warrantys! But it also sounds like the big problems with lamps have passed. I'd guess all the DLP electronics is from the same place. Hope I have good luck with Toshiba.....

They do have something rather buried on their site at http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/tacpassets-images/notices/dlplamp.asp extending the warranty (possibly) another year (or in the case of a refurb, maybe another 90 days?) that I'll have to check out. If so, is that the kind of thing some of you would want JVC to do?

As far as some of the stuff on here, it's the typical message board stuff, nothing new. I'd be surprised if there wasn't any!

And as far as the class action, guess that's dead? (And lay off the guy! If you were a lawyer that did them, wouldn't you speak up if people were discussing doing one if you saw it? Where else do you find people who might want to do a class action? So he posted twice, cut him some slack for not knowing the etiquette. It's not like he's spamming the forums with dozens of posts over and over like you see some places.)

Although I've only read one page of the archived stuff, the oldest one, and this page this discussion has been very helpful.

Seems like for anyone that has power problems, a UPS is a must have. I only watch TV for a few hours at a time and then turn it off if I'm not going to be watching again until the next day. But my power is very solid. Maybe these bulb failures are from people unplugging the set once they're finished? Hmmmm. Nah, just batches of bad bulbs I guess. I'd imagine they're mostly all made in the same place by the same people anyway.

Silver Member

Post Number: 158
joblow,

Do you have that link (or the text itself) for the Consumer Reports review that you mention? Or, isn't that statement true?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 78
I gave you the information above (see my 4/15 post), exact issue and page numbers. It was not an online article, I subscribe to the physical paper print magazine.

Silver Member

Post Number: 159
Barry,

Thank you. I was refering to the review that joblow cites where Samsung won across the board and JVC was "average." I figured that joblow's statement was a falsehood but was trying to confirm it.

tvshopper, Have you seen the review on the JVC 58S998 D-ILA tv. In that review they gave it an overall aproval. The one thing they really gigged the tv on was horizontal line geomitry. They said any lines such as tickers or menu lines and even some picture shots were off. They say the lines bow upward at the corners of the screen. the efect , they say is more visible at the top end of the screen. Have you seen this review and if so what is your take on that effect on overal picture quality. Have you seen one of these sets perform yet? If so what are your thoughts. Dave.

Bronze Member

I think his review was an older review, and dealt with older models (and 720p rather than 1080p sets).

I think that the 58S998 is one of the newer "thin" sets. Trying to do a projection set onto a 52" to 70" screen in a total depth of only ten inches or so seems to me to "pushing the limits" in terms of optics, and I would not be surprised to find more geometrical distortion than on the 2006 model sets that had a bit more depth. And if you are not going to hang the set on the wall (and 10" is still a bit thick for that), then actually a slightly deeper set might also be more stable in terms of tipping over.

The review for the new JVC is presently on the C-Net site. the review was for the 58S998 D-ILA.

Silver Member

Post Number: 160
David,

No, I have not seen the review. I will bet that Barry is spot-on with his analysis regarding the depth and pushing the optical limits. I certainly do not notice such distortion on my G-series set.

Username: Newtohdtv

I have not followed this thread for awhile. Back in DEC 05 my bulb went out. Got new bulb in JAN 06, bulb been working since. Still love the picture.

Username: Sjones1

Per my understanding, there is a new version of the lamp discussed here:

http://fixyourdlp.com/blog/?p=11

Apparently Discount-Merchant.com sells this lamp for $160. I don't have first hand experience on the JVC lamps, but I bought a Samsung Lamp and it arrived in two days, is ORIGINAL lamp (not generic), and works PERFECT! Needless to say, I'm happy with them!

Here is a link to the JVC:

http://www.discount-merchant.com/JVC-LCD-Projection-TV-Lamp-TS-CL110UAA-TS-CL110 U-p/jvc-ts-cl110uaa-new.htm&Click=1466

Good luck,
S.Jones, a heated Samsung DLP Owner...

Username: Tomq

Hi I heard about this problem before and it seems like it is very common a friend of mine was actually able to fix this problem using the help of a tech support site. They have free live chat support that can help you with fixing it.

This is the page for JVC Projection TV Support

Good luck

Tom

Username: Srbobster

Mine went bad after 4 months, I call for a class action lawsuit. I hope some lawyer puts one in.

Silver Member

Post Number: 162
Did JVC replace your bulb under warranty? They should have if it occurred in the first year of ownership.

Username: Cckilner

Has anyone ordered the JVC buld from Discount Merchant? I placed an order on Monday and still shows not shipped when they say they usually ship within 24hrs. I have sent emails and tried calling and all voicemails are full. Getting a bit leary here to say the least!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 84
If you look at previouis posts there is an attorney that wants to start a suit. Bob

Bob,

Thanks for the information! Cancelled order and contacted credit card company to reject charge.

Bronze Member
Username: Tsduke

Post Number: 26
I haven't posted in awhile, but was curious how the bulb issue was going for others.

FWIW, I'm now just past 15 months on the original lamp in my HD-52G786 and still going strong.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 81
I'm only at 6 months, but 1,500 hours. So far, so good. We try to give the TV only 2 cycles (on-off) per day (at most).

ATTENTION Chris Kilner: I think you screwed up. The post from Bob Smith about a lawsuit was a reference to an action against JVC, NOT against Discount Merchant (e.g. that message was not a reply to your immediately preceeding message). I know a number of people who have ordered from Discount Merchant and who have been very happy with them, except for a brief period last fall when they sold out of lamps (no one lost any money, but some people had to either cancel their order or wait a couple of weeks to get the lamps). But they were forthright about it and posted that they were backordered, out of stock and it would be a couple of weeks.

Barry,

I realized the lawsuit was against JVC after I posted. I am still unhappy with the lack of service from DM. All voicemail numbers are full and not one reply to multiple emails sent. Order still shows "not yet shipped". This lack of customer service does not deserve my money.

Okay eating a bit of crow here, just a little. Finally heard from Ali today (via email) and looks as if google checkout had a possible issue as they never recieved the order. I still, however, do not understand the issue of getting a hold of someone at the company.

Silver Member
Username: Mrtomasulo

St. Louis, MO USA

Post Number: 148
Got new lamp from JVC in October 2005.

Am getting a message on my screen when I power on that lamp needs to be replaced.

Less than 2 years is not all that hot.

Silver Member

Post Number: 166
Mister Tomasulo,

The warning comes on after a certain number of hours (I think it's 5,000) to let you know that lamp failure could be imminent. Lamp life is tied to number of hours of operation not on number of months or years. 5,000 hours or so is actually excellent lamp life. What were you expecting!?

Bronze Member
Username: Crashnash

Post Number: 72
tvshopper: I re read Mister Tomasulo's post and no where in there do I see he is stating he got 5000 hours. That is your surmise.

All, please be advised, that my lamps failed without any message--so I would not put any faith on when the message is suppose to activate.

CrashNash

Silver Member
Username: Mrtomasulo

St. Louis, MO USA

Post Number: 149
I doubt I've had 5000 hours usage after 22 months - that would amount to about 7.5 hours a day, every day, seven days a week.

I'm not really sure how to estimate what my actual usage was, but I would have to guess that the average has been easily less than half that.

Bronze Member
Username: Jwj356

San Mateo, California USA

Post Number: 47
Mister Tomasulo did have the message come on the screen because there is circuitry counting the hours. TV Shopper says 5000 hours, I've seen elsewhere that the number is 4500 hours, and then the circuit kicks in automatically. Mister Nash never reached the 4500/5000 hours, so no message. If Mr. Tomasulo wants to ignore the warning (if the picture is fine and he is happy with it) he can always reset the timer according to the instructions in the manual and the message will not come on.

He said that he could not have possibly reached 5000 hours. Perhaps with the bulb replacement in 2005 he never reset the timer and it is counting hours from time of original TV installation. I am counting the hours (info obtained from the service menu) and I am getting about 2200 hours/year.

Mr. Nash, how many hours so far on your lamp?

John

P.S. Glad to see some action here, it has been very quiet re JVC (no news is good news?). Otherwise ecoustics has been full of postings about Panasonic, RCA, Samsung, etc. and their problems.

Silver Member

Post Number: 167
Rodger,

If the message comes up, it is triggered by the number of hours of operation. He did not say his lamp failed, he said the message came up. The lamp will continue to work regardless of the message.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 85
We got our set in December and I'm coming up on 2,000 hours. In the meantime, I picked up six bulbs on E-Bay .... all "used" but look like new and work ... in the $60 to $80 each range. Plus I have a 7th bulb from Best Buy due whenever I want it (I took out the 4-year extended warranty, which includes ONE bulb). So, hopefully, I have enough bulbs for the life of the set.

Bulbs do show up on E-Bay, sometimes "new", sometimes "used, tested good", and they go for anywhere from $50's to $150 (and the price does not necessarily bear any relationship to the stated condition). The "used" bulbs that I've bought look new. There is no discoloration from heat, or anything else to suggest that they are used.

Some of the sellers have told me that they work for repair centers and that when certain repairs are performed, they are instructed to replace the bulb without regard to hours or condition of the existing bulb, which apparently they are nominally supposed to "dispose of".

Anyway, my worst fears .... of a bulb lasting less than 1,500 hours .... are past, although even 2,000 or 3,000 hours will present a cost of operation issue in terms of the cost of a new bulb from JVC.

Silver Member

Post Number: 168
Rodger Nash,

I'm curious about your bulb. Last I knew you had a bulb burn out in 7/06. JVC promptly replaced it under warranty at no charge to you. Is that bulb still functioning?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
Yes-it is still functioning. However, I have not yet achieved the "service hours" on the replacement lamp that I achieved on the first lamp. The first lamp went out after about 1200 to 1500 hours. This was no where near the 6000 hours on the average that is advertised on the JVC Web Page. The replacement lamp is approaching 900 hours. I will post on hear if and when the replacement blows.

CrashNash

Silver Member

Post Number: 169
Rodger,

How strange...you went 1200 - 1500 hours (surpirsed you don't know exactly by the hours meter) on your first bulb between 11/05 and 7/06 (9 months) but you only have 900 hours on your current bulb (7/06 - 8/07, 13 months). Your viewing habits have changed dramatically I would say (about 50% of what they were) or things just don't add up. Well, keep us posted.

Silver Member

Post Number: 170
P. S. The bulb lasted longer than the warranty you wanted on it (1 year vs. 90 day). That should make you somewhat happy.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
Yep-tickled pink--I have a TV set that I watch-wandering if lamp will live up to the my expectations that I got from the saleman and the JVC site--, i.e. 600o hours of lamp life on the average. To date, no lamp that I have gotten from JVC has achieved this advertised goal that JVC has posted on the company's WEBSITE.

CrashNash

Silver Member

Post Number: 171
So, let me get this straight. You are raging angry because a faulty part on your TV failed. The manufacturer happily and promply replaced said part at NO expense to you. But that still did not alleviate your anger?

So, in essence, you have a TV that has functioned relatively flawlessly for two years but you're ticked off!? I don't get it. What do you do if your vehicle is recalled? Or if your washer breaks down during the warranty period? Or, ....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
To quote CrashNash: "To date, no lamp that I have gotten from JVC has achieved this advertised goal that JVC has posted on the company's WEBSITE." Well, that's because he has never operated the set long enough!!

John

Username: Jackb

Does anyone know how to determine the bulb life on a HD-52Z585? The Self check method does not have any hex numbers to the bottome left and my D070 register is all zeros. My D071 register does change, but the formula for determining hours does not seem to be correct.

Username: Bcassell

Warner Robins, GA USA

Hi all. I purchased a HD-56FN97 from BB on 9/4/06. A couple of days ago the TV wouldn't come on and instead the POWER LED and LAMP LED are blinking alternately. This code is mentioned in the documentation and is supposed to mean that "It may be a malfunction that the fan is locked or the temperature has increased".
Since I still have a few weeks before the warranty expires, I called the local(46 miles) JVC service center and the guy asked me to check to see if the bulb is blown. I checked it and it looks ok. So his next guess was the HD tuner. He didn't come out to the house to look at the TV and is guessing that this is probably the problem(because he fixed a couple others with this part with this problem) and said that it would take him a week to get the part from San Diego.

Has anyone else had this alternating light code? What was the actual problem? Is this typical of JVC Service Center responses? I'm assuming now that if this part doesn't fix the problem that there will be another guess and another week to wait on the next part and so on until it is repaired. I would think that there would be some sort of diagnostic procedure that could be done to determine the problem but maybe I'm just being foolish. I don't rememeber if I purchased the extended warranty from BB so I better get on the ball and find my receipt.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Bobby

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
tvshopper-as usual-your stupidity has shown through again. My problem with JVC, as I stated previously, has nothing to do witht the new set warranty or their replacement of my lamp during that warranty. My problem with JVC is that they promote on their website a "600o hour on the average" lamp life claim. I have not achieved that on my lamp-or replacement lamp. As I also indicated, my replacement lamp is still functioning properly for now--however, if it fails prior to the 6,000 hours (as claimed by JVC)--I will address that with JVC if and when that time arrives. I hope this clarified this for you tvShopper-not that I have to explain myself to you. Glad you are keeping up with my TV Viewing habits. You really need to get a life.

CrashNash

Silver Member

Post Number: 172
My stupidity, eh!?

I am trying to expose you for what you are; a belly-acher. And, to top it off, a belly-acher that has nothing to belly-ache about. So, if your car has a recall on a transmission, do you go shooting your mouth off about hating them until and only until you witness their powertrain living up to their 100,000 mile warranty!?

I need a life!? Laughable....change your name to Don Quixote. It is not I that needs a life, it is you that needs to retract the garbage you spew when you have no grounds to spew it.

Oh, and before you start seeing black helicopters again, I do not, never have and never will work for or represent JVC in any way. Also, this is the only user name I have in ecoustics. (Just to make sure you don't think there's some kind of conspiracy here. LMFAO!!!)

Bronze Member

FLorida

Post Number: 11
Rodger Nash, A question: Is your JVC TV hooked up to a UPS?

Bronze Member

NP56--it is now.

CrashNash

Username: Jackb

Does anyone know how to determine the bulb life on a HD-52Z585? The Self check method does not have any hex numbers to the bottom left and my D070 register is all zeros. My D071 register does change, but the formula for determining hours does not seem to be correct.

Bronze Member

FLorida

Rodger Nash, Thanks for the reply. Your answer seems to suggest that it was not always on a UPS. I suspect that is why you did not get any longevity in regards to bulb life. With it on a UPS and if it is not repeatedly turned on/off, I would expect you will see a good bulb life. I sincerely hope you do and enjoy the picture quality too.

Username: Bulbed

I purchased a HD61FH97 on 1-21-07. My TV is on a power conditioning UPS, and the room is an isolated circuit in the house. The TV has had minimal use, a few movies a week. Football season is when it will see heavy use. Old and new bulb TS-CL110UAA.

Well when my picture got dim suddenly last week I started searching the web for information, found this thread and read many of the posts (thus the information above). I pulled the bulb and could see discoloration inside it. Found information on bringing up my bulb hrs, after a few wrong sets of directions I found ones that worked. 410hrs. SO I call JVC, tell them my issue. The rep tells me "well it can't need a new bulb or you would have no video." I tell him, "as I said before the bulb is discolored inside, I do not think it should be, but if you want to send a tech out lets set it up, but can we make sure he has a bulb with him?". He gives me the number of the local company they contract repairs with....I call and call and call and finally get a human. Tell him the issue, "All you need is a new bulb". "Yeah I was fairly sure of that but the guy at JVC did not agree." "Well when is good for you I have the bulbs in stock."

He comes by 30min later puts the bulb in and closes up the TV, resets the timer and all is working perfectly. I pick his brain and long story short he tells me "I can't say the company I contract with has a known issue with the bulbs in its HDILA TV's, but i keep 2 bulbs in my shop." After a few more questions "Only time I ever had more than 1 of any other bulb was a few years ago when Sony had a huge issue and recall. Keep in mind I have to buy the bulbs they don't give them to me free they just replace bad ones free"

I guess I can not be mad at anyone but myself, I read reviews of the sets I was looking at getting but never googled anything about bulb issues and life, I was foolish enough to assume the promoted 6000hr average is close too correct. My opinions of the TV may change over time (like if this bulb works for a solid 5000hrs and the TV has no other issues) but until that time I will be down on JVC.

Obviously people have a wide range of experience, but I would highly recommend to anyone that reads this before making a purchase, spend the extra $400 and go with a Samsung LED like the HLT6189 I wish i got. The South Korean companies are pushing quality and value harder than ever.

Bronze Member
Username: Onlookerdelay

Rock Hill, SC USA

Post Number: 19
Topogijo,

My JVC HD-56FC97 that I bought last December now has over 3,400 hours on it with no sign of dimming at all. I bought a 750 VA APC UPS off EBay for $40 and plugged my JVC into it right out of the box (we have 4 or 5 power outages a year in my area). That has probably saved my bulb. We've had three outages while I was watching, and this device allows a controlled, cooled shutdown. My DVR settop box drops the signal and the screen goes dark anyway, so even if I'm not there to manually shutdown the TV, it's had plenty of time to cool off the UPS power. The TV then shuts down after 10 minutes because it's not getting a signal (unless power has been restored).

Anyway, I know this isn't the reason you're having problems because you're on a UPS also. I just wanted to throw this out for a different experience. These lamps are definitely fickle.. the quality control seems to vary on them.

I've been totally delighted with my 56FC97... it has surpassed every expectation I had for it with the exception of some SD programming. ESPN News is virtually unwatchable. OTOH, some SD channels, like History, Sci-Fi, National Geographic, TLC, are very nice in SD. I've owned this set for 10 months now and I still don't take it for granted. When I watch a football game in HD now on ESPN, it still makes me feel giddy. One very happy customer here!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 86
I am now past 2,000 hours on a set purchased last December at Best Buy. I also managed to pick up 6 lamps on E-Bay at between $50 and $80 per lamp, and Best Buy owes me a new lamp any time I want it, as part of the 4-year extended warranty I purchased. Hopefully, I have a lifetime supply of lamps.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
Barry Watzman:

Lifetime supply? The set's or yours? <grin>

Username: Sdoby123

I have a HD-52Z575 and want to now by a HD56FC97. I did have to replace the bulb free of charge from JVC and now have about 4 years on the second bulb.

My question is that all the JVC TV's seem to use the same bulb. If a small TV uses the same bulb as a larger TV, would the larger TV be not as bright because the lamp is spread over a larger area?

Username: Raeff

This will be a fairly long post but I will try to keep it short.

First I would like to say I am a JVC rep in AAFES stores. I worked electronics and customer service for multiple stores before switching over to JVC due to my personal experience of its product having the least amount of problems/returns/defects. I realize that soon as I said i was a JVC rep I most likely caused many to throw on their blinders to what I am saying, but I prefer honesty.

Keep in mind I am a JVC rep not a JVC tech, this being said there will be certain things I can not address (ie entering of Service Menus). I also read this whole thread in one sitting so there is a good chance I will miss somethings.

To start, David Miley in regards to the 58S998 D-ILA model. If you are not going to wall mount it, like i believe Bob said, get the normal depth version. There is no reason to pay 1-1.5 thousand more for something just b/c it is 10.75 inches rather than 18 inches deep. However, if you are looking to wall mount it, check with whom you are buying and find out if their stock is part of the intial launch shipment or a secondary. If it is from the initial launch then find somewhere that has a secondary or later shipment. The 58 slim line had some convergence and alignment issues on their first shipment, which while easily fixed it is very possible to really mess up the set getting in and messing with those settings.

In regards to the "bad batch" or "bad run" of bulbs that plagued JVC set for a while. JVC like most electonics company will try to outsource what they can if it benefits both companies to do so. JVC made the mistake of outsourcing bulb creation to Panasonic and yes it really came back to bite JVC. (Panasonic as well who had to completely remove their DLP from the market). This issue has been addressed, unfortunately I do personally believe that there are still some of the Panasonic bulbs out in circulation and I do not know which bulb model numbers they would be =(.

Now I have been a rep at my current AAFES location for 18months, I have literally moved high hundres possibly even over a Thousand HD-ILA's personally, and have seen Approx 20-25 returned through store for different issues. In terms of displays they run 12+ hours a day 7 days a week, and sometimes are turned off/on multiple times per day (damn unwatched kids). In my time at this location I have replaced 3 bulbs, the first b/c some parent didnt watch their kid and the TV got slammed into the wall hard jarring the bulb, the second when one of their associates tried moving a TV by themselves and dropped one side again a jarred bulb, and only 1 to premature burnout.

Like many have said there are a lot of things that can cause premature burn out, I will restate a few of them. Dust, Vibrations, non constant power source, jarring movements, rapidly turned on/off repeatedly, running them too long in a sitting, lack of air circulation/ventilation, and bulb brightness levels that I can recall off the top of my head.

Anything that could/would damage or destroy any lightbulb can and will damage or shorten the lifespan of the bulbs in any projection set.

To Steve Dobronos, The TV's seem to use the same bulb and in some cases they will, however not all sets can utilize all the bulbs properly and some sets will require unique bulb fixtures (58S998 D-ILA comes to mind). Again I am not a technician so can only go based on what I have handled personally in store, which is kind of limited as I have had very few of these issues come up.

Two things I saw mentioned earlier but forgot whom mentioned them. In regards to JVC telling people to return TV's rather than offering to replace bulbs, This is because if you are still within the return/exchange period with the store it is a better option to just exchange it, chances are the bulb just got jarred during shipping or handling at the store but it is easier to return it to the store for another one and have JVC RA the original set on the off chance that there is actually something mechanically wrong with the set. The second was in terms of slow a/v and channel switching, this unfortunately seems to be a universal issue with almost all HD TV's (I have seen a few models that manage to bypass it) on large it seems to be something all major companies still need to address, one way to bypass it however is to actually run your cable/sat into an input and change channels through your service providers box, Also newer models (I noticed sony is doing this as well) actually replace the TV/Video button with multiple buttons (ie V1,V2,V3,etc) to allow you to skip directly to an input rather than deal with the slow migration through the different inputs when trying to go from say input 1 to input 7.

Though the bulb issue seems to be very common, it is in fact a pretty rare exception. It is just that when someone is generally happy with their product 99.98% of the time you won't ever hear from them. However I do still stress the fact that it is a bulb based system to any customer, and although you can estimate min/avg/max lifespans they aren't guaranteed.

A few tips, when purchasing

1. Check the box, if its beat up, slashed, crushed corner, etc chances are the bulb has been jarred and will have a shorter than avg lifespan.

2. Check your electical output, preferably use an UPS to plug any such set in. However if your not have the outlet checked to ensure it is sending out a smoother eletrical flow, your power doesn't have to spike or go out to be fluctuating enough to damage electronics.

3. Always Check if something is first wave shipment or not, if it is and you do not have to have it right away, wait until the second.

4. Check to see what country the set your looking at was manufactored in! I cannot stress this enough where companies have manufactoring plants in multiple countries the primary of those being korea, mexico, and canada. Some individual models will get manufactured in other countries (fortunately ive not seen a JVC from china yet).

In closing both Samsung models listed here are damn good models. It will just come down to a personal preference between DLP (spinning color wheel) and LCoS technology. The Bulb issue seems to be more common in JVC models merely b/c we make up a much larger portion of the market share (this is a personal opinion based on my own sales and sales on local level, it could be wrong but being that I spend half my ordering time waiting for JVC to catch up due to being fully sold out again I feel its fairly accurate)

Silver Member

Post Number: 186
Been a LONG time since anyone posted here. JVC's TVs are performing very well, indeed. My current bulb is 26 months old (at least a 5 hour/day average) and going strong.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
tvshopper - Mine is 22 months and going strong as well. Looking to get a spare though.

Silver Member

Post Number: 187
I have had one since I got my TV. Sittin' in the closet waiting to go into service when needed.

Username: Myjvctv

Greenville, South Carolina United States

Hi I am a new member to the board. I just spent the last 4 hours of my time from start to finish reading all the posts.

I have a 61inch HD-ILA that i had to pick up and remove from my tv stand while in the middle of a clan team battle in "gears of war" for the xbox360. I then had to carry in my 3 bedroom house a 32 inch CRT Sharp into the room and Hook everything up accordingly as to the way it was with my jvc 61inch ooohhs and ahhhs big HD-ILA tv.
Well, we lost the match.

Dear Mr tvshopper

Anyways I have read everyones reviews and one person sticks out at me the most. Mr. tvshopper, Frankly guy.. I would love to punch you in your face with your (long lasting i make love to my) JVC bulb. The way i feel right now about my TV that i have bragged so heavily about to all my friends blowing out on my after 18 months of use really rubs me in a bad way. And what makes it worse Mr politically correct guy on who's lieing and who isn't is the fact that there are people who feel the way i do right now. And its disheartening that you would make accusations to them after they have just realized they have been screwed and are now realizing like i am that we are now gonna have to pay a lot of money for a broken product we SO LOVED AND ENJOYED WITH PRETTY PICTURES to get fixed or make a decision to take our money elsewhere. But the way you have been cutting people down.. man.. I would love to stick you in this 61inch box i have here sitting in my hallway and roll you down a flight of stairs.

Little bio for me.
Raioshack Mall* Store Manager for 3 years.
????? Cell phone Company Technical Support Coord. for 2 years
25 yrs old
Greenville, SC resident
Only user of my TV bought from HHGreg whom they actually told me to go with this model insted of the 50 some odd inch sony model cause they said its same quality just bigger name and to get the better deal tv. OK durf! Now i'm reading this board I did absolutely no research prior to buying. If I had came anywhere close to just reading a half page of this board i would not have touched a JVC tv. This is a real dissapointment. I'm really feeling like i'm sitting in a room with a power outage and looking around for candles to move me around my house. I got a pop yesterday on my tv and i noticed today while playing a clan match the color was not as clear. I got another pop after switching input channels to my Dish DVR and there went the picture and red led and blue lighs flashing. I let everthing sit while i read this whole board and turned it back on. and Power light lite up and red led counted 7 flashes and on the 8th flash red and blue were going at it back and forth again. I dont know what series or B or G or whatever cause i'm just really upset right now and if its that important i will check on it and post it here if this forum is still alive. and for Mr tvshoppers sake this forum isn't alive cause if you talk to me like to you talk to other people with problems like mine.. just use ur imagination.

I purchased this tv a a reasonable price about $2,3?? and i got it on a 24 month no interest min payment deal like i do all big buys. I have excellent credit so i take advantage of the fact. I did the same with my toshiba satellite notebook with CCity. Anyways thats besides the point i still have like 6 or 7 months more payments on this thing that i'm highly considering not paying. What is u guys take on that? And What would ur next moves be in my situation ? Get a new TV ?? do they make bulbs that last now ? Cause it seems the last page posted was a bunch of pro JVC voting democrat Clintons who are posting to avoid a class action. Now Anyone else besides these guys talk to me and lets get this post back alive k?

Everytime i cut on my set i was getting blue light solid and 7 red led blinks and on the eighth blink the light and the led would start blinking and i could hit the power button on the remote it would restart the whole process over so unplugged it for over 4 hours and tried again no change. IS that definitely the bulb? if so i'm gonna go ahead an order a new tonight. If i can get another year out of this replacement i'll just sell the tv off to someone else and never go JVC again.

And has anyone contacted that lawyer insterested ? and what results did ya get from him. Thanks guys.

-Brad Bennett of Greenville, SC

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
Brad,

IMHO your putting too much weight on the validity of what you read here. Over 90% of posters here are like you and are only here to complain about the product. There are very few people that come in here to write about their success story. tvshopper and myself are 2 of the few.

I'm running at 24 months on my lamp now. I guarentee you there are plenty of other getting decent life out of their lamp. They just aren't in here posting about it.

Another thing to note is JVC isn't the only brand having issues.

How many hours/day on average is your tv on?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 88
I am at 14 months, but closing in on 3,000 hours.

Silver Member

Post Number: 198
Brad,

Your lack of intelligence and maturity shows through as much as your ignorance of what a rear projection TV is and what drives it. What the hell are you attacking me for, you jabroni??!! Your bulb blew (apparently like the gasket you blew). BFD! You know, at 25 years old, you shouldn't let those fantasy world video games get to you so much. You ever going to outgrow those? Have you ever heard of women? I bet 12-year olds kick your butt everday, don't they? LOL!

18 months. Not horrible. Maybe not great, but not horrible. $200 and it's back to brand new status. If you didn't know or expect to replace a bulb from time to time, why in the F did you but this TV!?

You have fun now, y'hear.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
Re: "$200 and it's back to brand new status."

No one should be spending $200 on a bulb. They are available online from authorized JVC dealers for $160. I've bought six used but still working (hours unknown) bulbs on E-Bay all for less than $80 (each). None of them shows any discoloration from heat, so I don't think that any of them are really high hours, but I won't really know how good they are (or are not) until I use them, and that has already taken longer than my worst fear that a new bulb would not last a year or 1,500 hours. I also have a [ONE] new bulb coming from Best Buy as part of the 4-year service agreement I bought with the set. I really bought this set right; I paid $1,749, but my net cost after all of the rebates (including credit card rebates), reward zone points, cable company HD sign-up bonus and other "freebies" I got with the set, plus a price adjustment (price match) after I bought it ended up being under $1,300 (December 2006 - model 56FN97). And then I sold the old 1995 50" Hitachi CRT projection set that it replaced for $300. A very good transaction, in the end (and I have 3 more years plus one new bulb on the service contract if anything goes wrong).

Silver Member

Post Number: 199
Thinking about it, if he's a career video gamer (and I suspect he is), he could easily have as many as 10 hours a day average. Do the math...even at 7 hours a day he would have about 3,800 hours on the bulb (i.e. 550 days X 7 = 3800). If he has more like 10 hours a day he's got 5,500 hours. 18 months may actually end up being good bulb life. And, we haven't even discussed environmental issues (i.e. heat, dust, power quality, etc.).

Barry,

You make a very good point, indeed.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
Barry, are those $160 bulbs JVC OEM or after market?

Wow Forum Lurkers!!
I made a mistake and I was wrong about my post. My toshiba notebook was purchased back in 2006 not my TV. After some digging I found my HHGreg POP and my JVC-HD61FN97 was bought on 2/18/07. So I apologize to all for the wrong statement.

Now if someone doesn't mind telling me how I do get a free replacement I grant you much gratitude.

tvstopper

You ever going to outgrow those? Have you ever heard of women?

F.Y.I I'm recently divorced. So whatever a grown man does after his life changes directions is his business. And if you want to start the slander with me i'll PM you my number.
Nice stereotyping. You should be put up on a pedalstool so ToddD can pat you on the back. You are a true JVC Bulb patriot!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
First, call JVC and try and get on under warranty since your still in the manf. warranty.

Why do you find the need to pop in here insulting people?

How many hours on your lamp????

House does get dusty and I can also add the pet dander. Golden retriever & one hairy cat. But I do have an air filter I run. My Tv had about a good 2 foot ground clearance and about the same from the wall maybe 3 ft from the wall (its not there now) as best i remember. I always had it running with component cables with 720p at highest quality. I dont have it on a UPS that's just like an anvil sitting on the floor. Yes sometimes I leave it on over 7 or 8 hours at a time but not too often.

I am noticing how MUCH MUCH faster my screen shots move with this picture tube tv i am using now. What's up with that? Any gamers out there would know what I mean by that. On the xbox live dashboard flipping left to right is like day and night faster with this picture tube.

Barry,

Did you get all your rebates back from BBuy? I have heard horror stories with their rebate center.

tvstopper

(y'hear)? Is there something about me you would like to elaborate on? Or was I correct about the stereotyping. And don't hack unknown (to you) territories brother, MLG is on espn. And if your that incompetent it means Major League Gaming. Which I think is a better hobby for me. While your hobby is lurking forums and chat rooms, just kinda creepy. Ever watch dateline chester? Knock Knock Hi I'm Chris Hanson, have a seat. ;-) :::wink:::

Have a nice evening, do you hear?

Todd

I would say average at 6-8 hours a day. On pretty days I'm 4-wheeling fishing playing tennis. Tv may only see 2 - 3 hours with recordings from my dvr. But yeah, I'm kinda relieved its under warranty but dissapointed at the same time if that makes sense.

Post Number: 7
QUICK UPDATE

My father just called me and said he stopped by HHGreg today and spoke with a manager. He gave my father reference to a repair shop for JVC and/or rear projec's to call. He left the shop 2 messages and never got a return. Anything else I can proactively do ?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 90
I do several hundred rebates per year and I get almost all of them. 5% or so require follow-up, 2-3 per year end up not being paid for various valid or invalid reasons. For the most part, if you do rebates right, I find that they are not a problem. I do have a few retailers who are on my "no rebates" list because I think that they go out of their way to screw customers out of rebates ... principally Tiger Direct and Office Depot. But otherwise, I usually don't have a problem (and in particular not with Best Buy). In fact, in two instances I have had both Best Buy & Circuit City make good on some large rebates either with gift cards or in one (pleasantly) shocking case (a Circuit City $200 rebate on a laptop that was wrongfully denied) with cash on the spot out of a cash register (granted, I had TONS of documentation and I'd bought the laptop at that same CC store, but they made it good with cash). In my opinion, MOST rebates are legit if you follow the instructions.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 91
Brad, you are still within the 12-month warranty. Call JVC and they should send you a new bulb.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 88
Brad,
I owned a JVC for less than a month before I took it back and received refund. I bought a Samsung that has been bullet proof so far. I bought the one with he LED's instead of a bulb. In the past year there have ben less posts on here about JVC problems but if you follow any other threads on this site their posts are almost non existent as well. ( One example the RCA dlp's which are very bad) I think most people are not going through the process of looking for help on the internet. If you look at new televisions you will notice that dlp's and rear projection in general are becoming scarce. Many maufacturers are going to other platforms such as LCD and plasma. Bob

Post Number: 8
Barry,

I hear ya on the rebate front. Me, I'm just a instant rebate buyer. CompUSA, Staples, and Circuit City have all screwed me out of rebates. I have lost so much faith in the process.

Bob,

I looked at the Samsung dlp before buying this one. And I was looking at picture quality versus the reputation and quality of samsung cell phones. I have trouble shot and sold samsung cellular for numerous carriers my whole professional (short) career. Never impressed with performance of them. But I guess a cdma chip finding a cell tower is much different than performance of a television. I thought DLP was pretty much industry standard and i'm gonna shop name brand reputation in my black book. I looked at the sony 50 something inch and looked at this jvc then the salesman told me save my extra penny and get bigger. So i bought the 61FN97.

Guys I finally got a call back from the microtec shop. His name "Bill" Just called and said he ran out of the JVC bulbs last friday and has ordered another batch of them. He said JVC has been taking about 5 working days to get the bulbs to him and he should be back with me by the end of this working week Friday. He said I dont need to do anything else he has the work order and will be seeing me then.

Is there anything else I may want him to look at? He said right off the bat it was a bulb if it was a jvc dlp. Then he said be glad its not a ??? can't remember what he called the part. But he made it sound expensive. I mean since it's still under warranty by 2 weeks i want him to change as many parts as he can. You follow me? What are some other things I can ask him to check for and maybe imply i would like for him to change it. Cause he is getting paid for the labor and i'm covered by the warranty. Win-Win for both of us right??

Thanks so much guys!!!
-Brad

Username: Beenscrewed

I've been reading a lot of these posts and I don't see how some of the people here are happy with forking out the money for a new lamp in such a short amount of time. I am a very unhappy owner of a HD52z575. Just had the 4th lamp installed yesterday, best buy says nothing wrong with TV life span of these lamps is 3,000 to 5,000 hours I have had one reach 2800. the rest were far short of 2,000. Best buy says not there problem. JVC says its out of there warranty so they wont pay the bill for a JVC tech to look at the TV, Best Buy wont budge. I will never buy another product from Best Buy. All they wanted to do was replace the lamp, the tech never did diagnose a problem. Sounds like they are parts changers and not actual techs.

Post Number: 9
Bob,

Do you have a UPS with AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulation) hooked up to the TV?

My first bulb lasted 2087 hours without the UPS and had the power company disconnect power while the TV was on once.

My second bulb (replaced under JVC warranty) currently has 3890 hours and has had no power interrupts due to the attached UPS. And has had clean 120V power due to the AVR of the UPS.

When I researched RPTV before I bought, I knew that I would be paying for replacement bulbs (much like paying for oil changes on my car). Project TV bulb manufactures don't rate these bulbs like you would expect, the life-time rating means that like 50% of the bulbs will make it that long under ideal conditions (low heat, no quick on/off, limited on/off cycles).

Normal life ratings are like 99% of the tested product lasts the life time, so probably 50% would last much longer.

Also keep in mind that unless you don't care about your picture quality running a bulb with high hours means less brightness and a less vivid picture (bulbs are at 50% brightness at the life time rating). I planned on changing my bulb every 3000 hours (JVC 6000 / 2 figured I could stand 25% brightness reduction) when I bought it, so right now if my second bulb blew today I would be at an average 2988.5 hours per bulb (meeting my expectation.)

Do you vacuum off the dust vents on your JVC regularly?

Post Number: 10
Also, I reviewed my previous post 4/14/07 and I said last year that if I got 4000 per bulb change I would be happy and I am now at 3890 hours, so how can I not be happy when it is meeting my expectation.

Bronze Member
Username: Firedawg24

Hopefully someone here can help,
I have owned my JVC HDILA since sept of 05 I had the light engine replace in Jan 06,missed the Super Bowl, but it has been trouble free ever since. Last week the bulb finally blew Fortunately I had already gotten a spare from JVC when I had the light engine issue. I replaced the bulb with no problems but now if the screen is dark or black I get a greenish hue on the same side as the bulb.Almost as if a line was drawn down the middle It is barely noticeable but it is there. It doesnt affect the picture unless the image is black. Does anybody have any ideas I've tried searching but with thousands of post I've had no luck It isn't anything like the light engine so I doubt thats it.

Bronze Member

Firedawg24,

Let your new bulb run for a few weeks and see if it looks better. (Assuming this wasn't there before you swapped bulbs.) When bulbs are first installed they are extra bright and in a few weeks (few hundred hours) get to a steady brightness (Breakin).

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
I'll let you know in a few weeks if thats it.

Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Ovadoggvo

Guys,
FYI! I just spoke with discount-merchant.com ... The biggest JVC reseller of lamps. They have had the JVC lamps on backorder for 3 months now, however, they have got confirmation that they will receive more lamps on Friday... $160 a pop for the original lamp with the enclosure is unbeatable.

Username: Dcsharpsr

Stratford, NJ USA

I just received notice from Discount Merchant that they now have them in stock and have ordered a spare for when the second one fails. I've had really good luck with my lamps lasting for over a year or more. I didn't mark the hours out of the original butknow I got almost 5k hours for the amount of time the set is on. I did find that when I did replace the lamp, it smelled of something burning for several weeks before settling in.

Username: Tphanich

San Diego, CA US

I got an email from Discount Merchant too. My parents have been in need of that lamp for months. These JVC TVs are crap. I can't believe there was a back order for so long! It's ridiculous. Needless to say I'm ordering a few for them today.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
I ordered one direct from JVC in December no promblem.

Also, just because a lamp that Toshiba makes needs replaced doesn't make the JVC TV crap.

Bronze Member
Username: Tphanich

San Diego, CA US

To be fair, JVC could have done a better job choosing a lamp manufacturer. By picking a lamp that needs to be replaced often, I think JVC did a poor job of R&D. Maybe you're one of the lucky ones that have had no problems with the TV and ordering the lamp. Every thing I've read on this forum says they were hard to get.

Bronze Member

You should read the board more carefully Eddie. When my lamp blowout during my warranty, JVC over-nighted me a new bulb (that seems fast to me). They told me that the bulbs they were initially shipping had an issue that was resolved with the replacement bulb. Since my replacement has lasted 2x longer then the first one so far, I have to think they were telling the truth. Working in the electronics industry when we build products from components that don't last as long as the manufactures states there is nothing we can do about it. We work with that manufacturer to resolve the issue and change vender if that doesn't work. JVC appears to have worked with Toshiba and corrected the premature bulb failures. The early shortage was because of them correcting the defect so all existing bulbs had to be returned to Toshiba (and then probably sold through Ebay and other discounters, so beware because the fixed bulbs have the exact same markings only the JVC box has a AA at the end of the part #).

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
"JVC TV User" is correct to some extent....however, the JVC lamps are not, and never where manufacturered by Toshiba.

Open up your lamp enclosure and take a look at your original bulb. You'll see a few things:

1) There is an "M" logo stamped on the bulb
2) Also stamped on all JVC Lamps, "HS110AR10"
3) The lamp is manufactured in Japan

To briefly explain

1) The "M" logo stands for Matsushita, which is actually Panasonic's parent company.
2) HS110AR10 is also a Matsushita/Panasonic part number
3) Matsushita is based in Japan.

I'm citing some of this info from an article on FixYourDLP.com...

http://fixyourdlp.com/blog/?p=11

To be fair, JVC claims to have fixed issues with the Matsushita lamps. The JVC vender i spoke to says they are still dealing with upset JVC customer's and they have decided to sell only Philips brand JVC lamps. They say at least with the Philips brand lamps, they can stand behind the product.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
Steve Jones's comments about the lamps are very interesting. The claim about Toshiba has been around for at least two years. I wonder how that got started.

Steve, do you know what the branding is that identifies a Philips lamp?

John

Bronze Member

Thanks for the update on manufacture not being Toshiba. This has been on a lot of msg boards since 2005.
Here is an interesting "recent" blurb from your link:

*** Edited 02/21/2008 ***
Although we've supported this theory from JVC, in the last year and half, we have seen very little improvement in the quality of these lamps. Matsushita (Panasonic) has been really struggling with the R&D of UHP Technology and evidence is readily available...just talk to any Panasonic DLP owner from the last 4 years! There is a class action lawsuit against Panasonic right now! Conclusion? Purchase Philips UHP Lamps as a replacement...due to demand, Philips just release this lamp for all JVC TVs!!

Does JVC sell the Philips lamps yet?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
"JVC TV User"....

I just got off of the phone with the JVC parts department. They DO NOT have any of the TS-C110UAA even in stock, let alone the Philips version. I ordered a few from my trusty source yesterday and I received them today. The box says "Philips" JVC Lamp Replacement. I'm excited to try them out because I know that Philips makes the best in the business. I don't know if JVC has completely switched over to Philips lamps or not. Can someone find out?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
John,

The Philips lamps are very easy to identify, they say Philips all over it.....speaking of....the site is updated:

http://fixyourdlp.com/blog/2008/02/21/the-philips-solution-is-herephilips-ts-cl1 00ua-ts-cl100ua-jvc-d-ila-lamps/#more-299

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
Nice... That's exactly what I just received... Seems to work perfectly so far... My customer is happy.. Let's see how long it lasts!

Bronze Member
Username: Fc7

Mine light bulb finally gave up with a pop after 3.5 years. It is a 52z575 from 2004.

Can anyone using DM's Philips bulb could provide some performance report.??

What is the wattage from the Philips bulb??

JVC America is selling their bulb at $199. Is it the $30 dollar saving worth it??

Does DM ship to Canada ??

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
Just give them a call...per my understanding they carry both JVC and the Philips bulbs in stock...DM does ship to Canada, I know that ;)

Bronze Member
Username: Fc7

Post Number: 16
I saw the pictures of the Philip lamps and the Matsushita HS110AR10 original. there is a color difference. I sticked with JVC OEM lamp than the Philips lamp for $30 dollars difference as I may have to do a recalibrate if I go with Philips lamps. changing setup again. big job.

Silver Member

Post Number: 145
Francis,
I have installed dozens of the Philips lamps since they came out.. No color difference and no re-caliberation is needed!

Discount-Merchant.com is selling the original lamp for $160 and the Philips for the same $160... I prefer the Philips brand.. They seem to be more reliable according to them. I haven't had any problems with a single one yet...

Lets keep our fingers crossed! I think Philips is a much more experienced and more reliable UHP lamp manufacturer than Matsushitsu (Panasonic).. the original JVC lamp is made by Matsushitsu.. Read here:

http://fixyourdlp.com/blog/2007/02/15/original-or-aftermarket-we-like-original-t s-cl110uaa-ts-cl110u/

Username: Marty33

indirectly on topic...

I ordered my lamp from discount-merchant and the bulb worked fine for a bit.
Now when I turn on the tv, I get a static like noise and the led lights (and power light) flash. DM says it's most likely a problem with the ballast. Anyone else have this issue?
If the ballast is the cause for my burnt bulb, what are the odds JVC owns up and reimburses me?

m

Bronze Member

Martin,
How could we answer your question without more details? Is your set under manufacture's warranty? Extended warranty?

If so, why did you not have the bulb replaced under warranty?
If not, why would JVC cover anything after warranty is up?

Also, how many hours are on your TV? How old is it? What model is it?

Username: Marty33

well my original question was simply if anyone has had any issues with the ballast.
And seeing it as the thread was in regards to the JVC HD ILA I didn't think to specify. anyways here goes...
I have the extended warranty...
but the tv is 1.5 years(with easily less than 1000 hours) old so of course the bulb is not under warranty anymore. A tech came out and simply told me the lamp was burnt with no further investigation. I ordered the above Phillips lamp from discount-merchant (as mentioned in original post) and it worked out fine at first. Then shortly after, I started getting a static like buzz and the tv would no longer turn on.

If it's electrical then yes, I figure JVC should be responsible still (and I figure they should cover the cost of the replacement bulb)
model number HD52G566
m

Silver Member

Post Number: 146
Martin,
The problem is very common on the HD52G566 model. The chances of a bad lamp are very unlikely. The problem is usually the colorwheel.. The buzzing noise..

Does your TV make a repetative clicking noise? "Click, Click", "Click", "Click" or "Bzzzz" noise? If so, this is most likely a bad ballast... What happens is that the ballast becomes weak an can not spark the lamp, therefor dischages the current through a dischage module (similar to a lamp.. lights up a few times and dies... hence the click click noise)..

Discount-Merchant.com's diagnosis of your problem seems about right to me.. but you may want to have a certified technician have a look or contact JVC service if it's under warranty.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
JVC TVs do not have a colorwheel. Colorwheels are specific to DLP TV sets. JVC does not use this technology, D-ILA (LCOS ... liquid crystal on silicon) is totally different. There is no color wheen. PERIOD.

Username: Lbnja

Ocala, Florida USA

Hi Brad.

Have you solved your problems with your JVC ?

I have a 70FH97 and yesterday my screen went blank and the blue and red LEDs flashed exactly the way Brad described it. Is it the bulb, the ballast or something else ?

Thanks,
John.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Hello all,
Back in Feb I finally replaced my lamp cant complain about life span though it lasted about3 plus years. Anyhow when I replaced it there is a green hue on the left side of the screen but only when the image is dark, near black. It almost splits the screen dirctly in half. It is not a light engine problem, as I have had that before. I have taken the TV apart looking for some sort of light leakage but I cant find any. Does anybody have any insight to this? Last post of mine I was told to wait a few months , I have and still no change.

Silver Member

Post Number: 202
FIREDAWG24,

Green hue? Sure sounds like a light engine to me. You're sure it's not? I would schedule a repair tech visit.

Bronze Member

It is definetly not a light engine. The picture is great for most stuff, its only when there is a really dark almost black screen, and only on the left side. I had the light engine problem before and this is not at all the same. Adjusting the tint,color or any other setting does absolutely nothing for it. I believe it has something to do with the bulb but I could be wrong. It only started when I changed bulbs out in fact it was immediately after changing the bulb, not a gradual thing.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
I think it is a Light engine issue. I have a slight green haze on the left side of the screen when the image is black and you turn off the room lighting. When my first bulb got dimmer you couldn't see any longer. When you replace the bulb it comes back.

Mine is so slight that it is of no concern and I am sure my extended warranty company wouldn't sit in a dark room watching a black screen and agree with me. Remember this light engine issues are not going to look the same and there is going to be different degrees of failure. Probably no LCOS light engine is going to be perfect.

I also had a first generation JVC for a week and it had a very pronounced green haze on the right side that was also the light engine but I returned the TV for a full credit.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
I just find it odd that the TV was fine, the bulb blew, I replaced it immediately and then there was a haze.

When I had the first engine failure it was completely different the only similarities are the color and it affected everything not just a black screen.

Username: Sierrdx

Dallas, TX

Purchased my HD56G786 about two years ago and when it works its wonderful. I thought my second bulb just went bad since TV wouldnt turn on with rapidly flashing blue light so I purchased a new bulb($235). Well TV still doesnt work or actually will work one out of about 20 times I try it. Called JVC tech he said it is probably the board or the ballast and it will cost $400-500 to fix. I initially did contact JVC support about the second bulb but they just told me the bulb is a consumable product. I barely even use this TV, I have no kids and I travel several days a week. I feel so cheated by JVC for making a poor product and BB for knowingly selling a poor product. I will never buy a JVC product again.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
Just want to report that my JVC reached 4008 hours on its second bulb. The set was purchased 2 1/2 years ago. An 'out-of-the-box' set so I don't know its prior history. Yes, the first bulb died after 1000 hours but was replaced under warranty. I have a new one (vintage 2006) stashed away for a backup.
Now watching the Olympics and the picture is very bright. No complaints.

Never did see the expected 4000 hour warning message. Does anyone know anything about that?

John

Bronze Member

Post Number: 94
Our JVC set was purchased in December 2006 and is coming up on 4,000 hours on the original bulb (still going fine (which I expect it will do right up to the second when it fails). I bought SIX bulbs on E-Bay for $80 each or less (one for $50) as spares, these are used bulbs with unknown hours. I also have one free bulb replacement coming as part of the 4-year extended warranty I bought at Best Buy. So I should have bulbs for the life of the set (knock on wood). Very happy with the set although, obviously, it was the first and will be the last set we ever buy based on any form of projection technology.

Bronze Member

FLorida

The light engine started going on my JVC 61FN97 - the bulb was fine - Owned it 1 year and 2 months, approx 3000 hrs of use. It was under extended warrantee, so I replaced it with the new Samsung 61 inch LED RPTV - what a GREAT picture, it makes the JVC (which has a great picture) look like standard TV. The new Samsung does not have a bulb or color wheel, LED life expectancy is approx 60k hrs. So far (1 month) it is awesome.

Bronze Member

UPDATE

My replacement bulb provided by JVC is still going strong at 6097 hours with no warning messages. I wonder if those that have gotten the warning message have forgotten to reset the bulb timer when they replaced their original bulbs.

My first bulb lasted 2087 hours.

I can't complain about 6097 hours on the current bulb (I guess JVC was right when they told me the original bulbs were defective and the replacement would last much longer.) I feel dumb for buying an unlimited bulb replacement warranty that I have never used.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
Update
If you scroll up a few posts you will see mine from August 2008. I then reported 4008 hours. A few weeks ago I logged 4769 hours. I average about 5-6 hours day. Still a great picture.
I looked through the various posts in this RPTV section and see lots about all the other manufacturers but little about JVC. The only one that I came upon was the old one about lamp burn-out and that now seems to be old history. I wonder what those people who were going to climb aboard a law suit bus (several years ago) are doing now.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 96
I am now up around 4,300 hours (and over 2 years calendar time) on my original lamp. The concerns that we had about the lamp life back in 2006 appear to have been resolved. Meanwhile, the 4-year extended warranty that I bought still owes me a "free" replacement and, fearing that the life would be more like 1,000 to 2,000 hours, I picked up SIX "used" lamps on E-Bay for under $70 each back in 2006 and 2007. So I probably have a lifetime supply. The set works great, and I am ***SO*** glad that I did not buy Samsung or other DLP set when I see all the problems that those guys are having.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Well I can confirm that the replace lamp message comes on at 6,500 hours. It shows up about 30 seconds after the image shows up on power up. It says if you press "ok" it will not remind you again.

My image has been the same for about about the last 3000 hours. I wonder if I should replace the lamp as a precautionary measure? I have read that these lamps are more likely to blow up after they reach their expected life time.

First bulb 2087 hours, Second bulb 6641 hours and still going.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 97
Do not replace the bulb as a "precaution"; there is no reason to do so. Run it till failure or unsatisfactory light output. The message's purpose should be considered as a "you do have a spare bulb ready, don't you?" message.

Silver Member

Post Number: 208
My bulb is still running since October 2005. I am retiring this TV as I just purchased a Pioneer Elite 60". I've loved and still do love my JVC. It is a great TV that had some minor growing pains that seem to have been rectified.

John Jensen, I wonder the same thing about all those "blow hards." I understood their frustrations but the unreasonable reactions were hard to fathom given the overall quality of the TV.

Silver Member

Post Number: 209
While I was here I took a little stroll down memory lane and read a few past posts. I wonder where the haters are and what their views are now. I wonder if the ambulance chaser (Sobelson) ever launched a suit.

I owned my JVC for four years approx. In that time I had one lamp replaced under warranty at no charge. Six other lamps at my expense, I'm glad to see so many have had a good experience with there set. The best thing that happened to me was the day I took mine out to driveway and ran over it numerous times with my truck and threw the very small pieces in the trash. That is where that set belonged to start with. I hope everyone has better luck than I did.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 98
This is about the set but not the lamp. I have a logitech harmony remote control. It has direct input functions for video 1,2 and 3 (e.g. you can set a button to go direct to that input without have to use a single button to cyle through other inputs). It also has a digital input toggle button (toggles between HDMI1 and HDMI2 ONLY), but (as far as I can see) no direct input button for HDMI1 or HDMI2, yet it's behavior in the "activities" mode suggests that such functions do exist. Does anyone know for sure or have a different remote that has such direct HDMI1 and HDMI2 functions (which would prove that the function exists)?

Silver Member

Post Number: 210
Barry,

I don't have my Harmony here and haven't been to the web site but I think that if you go to the setup and then adjust the settings for a given activity, you can assign the various inputs to a button on the Harmony.

Silver Member

Post Number: 211
Bob,

I'm sorry to hear of your experiences. However, that many lamps in that period of time is not normal. I know a number of people that have owned this set and I know of no one that's had that many bulb replacements. I would have had JVC look at the set. There had to be something internally out of normal operating parameters (i.e. maybe the fan wasn't running correctly, maybe the electronics were allowing too much juice to the bulb, maybe the balast was screwed up). Anyway, sorry you had such a lemon.

tvshopper,Best Buy handled the service on that set the first time under a service contract. JVC handled 6 mos. later and replaced the ballast and the lamp. The service tech said he could not find anything wrong and must have been a bad lamp. the next time it happend was 5 mos. later JVC said it was out of warranty and would not pay for the repair. Went back to best buy they checked the set out and said it needed a lamp. Now I don't know about you, But I would be hard pressed to put 6000 hrs. on a lamp in 5 to 6 mos. The rest of the lamps were on my dime. 5 lamps out of my pocket, 1 from Best Buy, 1 from JVC.

Post Number: 9
tvshopper.. You didn't go back FAR ENOUGH unless you included comments from my previous post. Guess What!?! My F**KING BULB WENT OUT AGAIN AS I SPEAK!! Maybe you need to be pro-something else instead of Pro-JVCTVs ?? Just a suggestion. Me?- I'm getting sick of this madness and will never buy another JVC TV EVER AGAIN!!! ARGGHHHH!!! ITS JUNK!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 99
I suspect that you have a bad driver (ballast I think is the term) circuit that is "blowing" the lamps. In this instance, the failed lamp is a symptom and not the direct cause of the problem.

Post Number: 10
OKAY so you are saying.. The crappy JVC TV is a problem right? Exactly my point. Crap I will never buy again!! From now on SONY or PANASONIC will be it for me!

Bronze Member

You get what you pay for!

Bronze Member

Barry one more post and you are a silver member!! lolz!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 100
You have a defective product. The design of the product is not defective (your experiene is not widespread), but your unit is defective. That happens, unfortunately. To all manufacturers. I would agree that JVC should stand behind it (in this case, even beyond the warranty expiration since the true cause of the problem was likely never diagnosed).

Silver Member

Post Number: 214
Brad irrationally blowing a gasket. Ah, life's simple pleasures.

Username: Vfrluke

I just got a HD-g2G886 from my mom, and I think the picture is great!

I do however have some spots on the screen that are very annoying. Does anyone know the proper way to clean the inside of this TV out.

Also If someone could possibly send a service manual to troublemaker400 "at" hotmail.com it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys

Username: Cj3

Hi
I am looking for a service manual for a jvc hd52z575.

Thank You

oceanbeach@excite.com

Username: Cj3

Thank you

Service manual recieved

Username: Samsmith

My lamp just blew out... Again and my TV is out of warranty just by two weeks (Grrrrrrr), so I can't get JVC to pay for this replacement lamp, is there a better way to prolong the lamp or a better lamp than the one JVC sold me.

Username: Bigal79

Most probably you've been getting the Original Matsushita lamp that JVC has for sale. Those things cost up to 300!!! Try and visit this website, they have the Philips lamp which last up to twice as much as the original. http://www.discount-merchant.com/JVC-D-ILA-Projection-TV-Lamp-TS-CL110UAA-TS-CL1 10U-p/jvc-ts-cl110uaa-new.htm&Click=41073 hopes this helps.

Silver Member

Post Number: 215
Two guys set up their logins and post on the same day???? Looks like discount merchant is trying to drum up some business.

Looks awful suspicious. I'm going to request the service manual for HD-52g886 again incase anyone feels generous. troublemaker400@hotmail.com

I cleaned it out, it had a lot of dust on the lens. I am now very happy with it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 216
Luke,

Sent.

Cheers

thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 306
Guys,
FYI... Discount-Merchant has started selling the bare lamps from Philips! The price is very reasonable. Look here:
http://www.discount-merchant.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=2012&Search=TS-CL110UAA

I would be careful with the generic DNGO and OSRAM look-alikes on eBay. It's bad enough that the original OEM lamp lasts only 4 months, the osram and dngo seems to last 3 months. Even if the seller offers a large warranty, I doubt they can stick to their word.

I would definately pay a bit more and get it from the right place. I wouldn't want to be sending the lamp in every 3 months for an exchange and waiting 3 weeks without a TV just to save $5.

Silver Member

Post Number: 101
Re: "It's bad enough that the original OEM lamp lasts only 4 months" ... we are past 5,000 hours on the "original OEM lamp".

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
My original OEM lamp lasted 1000 hours. This was back when there was a known lamp reliability problem. The no-charge warranty replacement JVC lamp is still going strong, almost 6000 hours.

Stratford, NJ USA

I had a lamp blow on my JVC 52" a couple of weeks ago and glad I had a spare. The TV is about 4-5 years old and I'm getting good life out of the bulbs I buy from Discount Merchants but I noticed that I have a darker spot in the middle of my screen. I thought it was the replacement bulb but when I received another spare, it still showed up. I took the whole chassis out and cleaned the optics thinking that might be it but to no avail. Could the first lens have a burn on it causing this slight darkening. Has others seen this before.

Also, can someone tell me how to access the system menu to get the lamp hours?

Don Sharp
dcsharpsr@gmail.com

Silver Member

Post Number: 102
I decided that after 34 months, it was time to clean the fans that cool the lamp, so I started to take the back off the set.

First comment, the top 80% of the set and the bottom 20% have separate covers. There is NOTHING inside the top and no need to remove it's back cover. In fact, there is an access panel into this empty space on both sides, you can remove that and look inside, and it's pretty much just empty space.

But the set had become noticeably dim, and was also prone to instantaneous changes in brightness level that I would estimate in the 20%-30% range. I thought that maybe dust was reducing the brightness, and that perhaps it was also contributing to overheating (and maybe the set, sensing the temperature, cut the brightness) (just my speculation and, apparently, wrong).

So I removed the bottom cover to "blow clean" (compressed air) the lamp and fans and associated ducts. Note that the lamp had not failed and I had no plans to replace it. Also, I unplugged the set first, and I did this in subdued lighting to hopefully avoid disabling the digital input "anti-tamper" detector.

Well .... on examining the lamp, the lamp had not failed and it's "light capsule" was still working, but the outer reflector mirror surrounding the light capsule was cracked (shattered, in places) and there were even loose pieces of glass floating around inside the lamp. So I replaced it.

*** WOW *** It's like I got a whole new TV set. The brightness is up, subjectively, much more than double. There is no comparison.

So, bottom line: Sometimes lamps that have not actually failed .... still need replacement.

By the way, 34 months and 5,286 hours. Not 6,000, but I'm satisfied.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
Barry, a very interesting tale.

I am curious. Was it difficult to remove all the screws that had to be removed? The reason I ask is that I would like to remove the front acreen in order to clean the backside of the screen (a spider had left a portion of a web which is occasionally seen). Those screws in the front are devilishly stubborn.

Silver Member

Post Number: 103
Understand that I never actually removed the top, although I had removed ALL of the screws. I could see that the mirror is part of the top, and I really didn't want to remove that if I didn't have to, so I didn't. Removing the SCREWS was no problem, but I don't know if that was all that was required to remove the top or not. If you are going to remove the top, I would definitely suggest two people.

Note that I have what purports to be a "service manual", but I think that there is a more complete (or "real") service manual, because mine doesn't have schematics or circuit board diagrams, yet I have seen references to such diagrams.

Another point worth noting, you may be able to do what you need from the two access panels, without removing anything (I guess it's worth noting that neither of us have given our TV model numbers). The access panels are large enough to stick your hand through, they were large enough for me to get a large can of "compressed air" inside the top (two people on opposite sides working together could do even more). You could definitely get a vacuum cleaner wand through the panels easily. So cleaning a spider web should be possible without actually removing the cover itself at all.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
Barry, thanks for your comments about the access panels. I finally got around to it. Sure enough, I saw the spider thread hanging near the access panel. I reached in and pulled it out. Problem solved. I wonder what they are for. I didn't notice any mention of them in the limited service manual I have.

By the way, time for a bulb update. Now at about 6500 hours.

Silver Member

Post Number: 104
Re: "I wonder what they [the upper compartment access panels] are for."

Removing bugs and spider webs. [ :-) ; but only half so]

Again, I cannot believe what a difference changing the lamp made. It's like a whole new TV set. But, to reiterate, it clearly may sometimes be necessary to replace a lamp that HAS NOT ACTUALLY FAILED [yet]. On the lamp that I removed, the lamp "light capsule" was fine, but the REFLECTOR was cracked from heat, age and use (but 3 years and over 5,000 hours)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 66
Barry, that will be my next job. Just to pull out the bulb assembly for an inspection. I'll report what I find.

John

Bronze Member

Post Number: 67
Barry, I pulled the lamp and it looks good. No damage, so back in it goes.

I figured out what the access panels are. The numerous holes are to let cooling air in which is then expelled as hot air by the fans. The panel construction is probably so you can clean the foam filters that are on the inner side of the panel.

John

Stratford, NJ USA

Since not having received any input from anyone regarding my post of August 17, of 2009, I assume that no one had run into the situation I'm experiencing with my first generation JVC 52". That is that the colors in the center circle of the screen are dim and off hue (green faces). Several functions like the hue control does not work. This all after having the bulb "pop".

You might be interested that I contacted JVC Customer Support and they reccommended that I call a JVC certified repair person. Looking up on their website I found one locally. When they arrived two guys), without any real looking at the TV, they said they would have to take it to the shop and that the cost was going to be anywhere between $500 and $1100 depending on whether the light engine was bad or just a module on top the light engine needing to be replaced. I of course objected the offer as it seems the repair center just sends out two guys to pick and deliver tvs and know nothing about tv repair at all. Futherdiscussion with other owners indicated that they had not quite simular problems with the picture and the serviceman actually hooked up a computer laptop to the set and reprogramed the eeprom. They was when it was under warrantee.
I feel the local repair place would probably do the same and still charge the high estimated billing. I asked if they could come out and reprogram my eeprom and they said it can only be done in the shop. Yeh...right.
At this point I'm not sure what to do. I'd like to have the eeprom reprogrammed just to make sure it's not at fault before proceeding any further. Even though I spend well over $3k for the tv back in 2005, I'm very leary about buying any latest technologies that won't let the customer have the option to replace modules themselved. I've been a television broadcast maintenance engineer for just over 40 years and can smell a scam.

Any one have any suggestions other than buying a new set? :o)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
My wife alerted me to the message appearing on the screen of our JVC 52" set. It was a 'Replace Lamp' notice advising that the lamp should be replaced and the timer reset to zero. I had heard of such a notice but this is the first time I had seen it. I checked the timer log and it was 6509 hours. I assume the timer is set for 6500 hours. I am tempted to pull the lamp, replace it with my spare, and see if I notice anything about screen brightness changing. (the current lamp will go in the box as a back-up).

John

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
Following up on the previous post, I did replace the lamp (the present one still working nicely at 6568 hours). Wow!! I have to add to Barry Watzman's comment "It's like a whole new set". It really is. Not that the performance to date was dim, not in the least. But the brightness did not have the new-look punch, neither in brightness, nor color. I would go into a store and see the new sets on display which are really bright (probably turned up to that high intensity mode) with the colors being almost phosphorescent and thinking my 'old' JVC pales in comparison. No longer! Back to the future!

John

Silver Member

Post Number: 223
I finally blew my first lamp. The TV was put into service in October 2005 and used at least 5 hours a day until March 2009. It then sat idle, boxed up until August 2009 and was used at least 6 hours a day. A very quick calculation would indicate that I got about 7,000 hours on the lamp. I'm happy with that. I hope this one lasts as long. However, it is now in a more hostile environment (my kids' playroom) so I doubt it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us