Dvd, satellite, vcr, rf modulator, hook up question.

Username: Kendra

Post Number: 1
Hi. I looked on an archived site that arnie dirtfarmer answered a lot of questions on, and figured I'd find my answer, but didn't!! Arnie, or anyone, if you're here. . .
I have older tvs with just the cable thing on the back. On one tv, I had dish network, an rf modulator, a vcr, and a dvd player. It all worked fine.

On my other tv, I had (AGAIN) an rf modulator and a dvd player. This worked fine, too.

I had the idea to bring the vcr from one tv to the other. I looked at the cable connections, and figured I understood the connections, but I guess I was wrong, and now I have no idea how to rehook anything.

TV #1: Older tv, rf modulator, satellite DISH receiver, dvd player and playstation.

TV #2: Older tv, rf modulator, satellite DISH receiver, dvd player, vcr.

If anyone can help. . . . everythign was working fine before, so I know I must have all the parts and cables I need.

THANK YOU!

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 1839
For recording purposes, the sat should be connected to the VCR with rca cables and the VCR set to line. For watching, connect the sat coax out to the VCR in, then out of the VCR to the modulator. Connect the DVD to the modulator with RCA cables.

Username: Kendra

Post Number: 2
David, thank you. I'll try this, but I am not sure I understand. We never record anything, so I'm only concerned about watching a tape in the vcr. For the tv with the vcr, I have the tv. . . what's hooked up to the tv, the rf modulator? After that, I work off the modulator, right? I'm really bad at this kind of stuff.

So, maybe you can recap it all very clearly for me? And, then, what about the other tv with no vcr but with a playstation 2?

I'm sorry to ask for clarification, but I do appreciate whatever help you offer!

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 1840
If you don't record on the VCR, then just connect the coax out of the sat to the in on the VCR and the out to the modulator, then connect the DVD with RCAs.
For a DVD player and a PS2, you'll need a video switcher, or have to keep changing cables, unless the DVD has coax out, which they don't in the U.S. The sat coax out to the modulator, and the DVD or PS2, RCAs to the modulator. You can get a video switcher that will accept the outputs from both the DVD and PS2 and you just select which you want to use. You should think about new TVs if at all possible, the picture quality of all 3 devices will be far better if you don't have to use a modulator.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us