Help! My 11 year old Projection TV - needs repair!

Username: Mrmike1876

Post Number: 1
Hi there,

This is the description of the problem:

I had this TV since 1993. It has been working perfectly until a couple days ago - where I had a leak on my roof. Where drops of water leaked onto the back of the TV. I doubt it caused my problem - because the back of the TV is plastic and it is sealed. And it was hardly any water that could do any permanent damage.

When I first noticed the leak - I covered the back of the TV and then turned on the TV. There was no picture - just audio. An hour later - the TV came back - but the picture kept coming in and out. I figure maybe its just wet - and will just let it dry out. The next day - the TV works somewhat. You can see the picture - with Shadows in the background this was only for a few minutes -and then the TV went back to normal. But a few hours later - I turned on the TV - and all I got was the screen flashing really quickly and whatever of the picture you can see is shadowed.

I want to know if this is really worth fixing - and what is your characterization of the problem I described.

I really appreciate any assistance you can offer.

Here is the exact model numbers of the TV I have:

ProScan (RCA Thompson) 80 Series - Models PS52682 and PS60682 - not sure which one mine falls under - but its the 62" version.

Thanks,
Michael :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Revan

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 45
can you get an estimate for repairs, then go
from there.

Username: Mrmike1876

Post Number: 2
I got an estimate - it will cost 400 from my local RCA authorized dealer. Water leaked from my roof - and onto the motherboard...

is 400 about right?

jas
Unregistered guest
400 is way too much try somewhere eles (250 sounds more like it)

Bronze Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 47
sounds about right, as long as they give a warranty on their work. 90 days ? If you spend
the 400 and have a good working 62" TV, doesnt
sound too bad to me. i assume they are going to
replace the mother board. you can figure out if
the cost is worth it. I have a 92 35" mits that
i have invested 250 to fix 2 yrs ago and its still
going strong even tho its relegated to 2nd string.
it was 1900 new, just couldnt see dumping it.

Bronze Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 48
oh forgot to add that you dont need to rush getting an HDTV. Unless you have VOOM there
isnt much to watch in HD. i have 12 HD channels
and sometimes find myself watching stuff i would
never watch in standard def.

Unregistered guest
My grand daughter tried to clean my Projection screen with windix. now i have a dark gray/black mark across the bottom of my screen can this be repaired

Unregistered guest
My grand daughter tried to clean my Projection screen with windix. now i have a dark gray/black mark across the bottom of my screen can this be repaired

Unregistered guest
I have a Sony 41" projection tv, model KP-E41MN11
(European) 110-240v and the problem is that when
you turn it on, all is ok until after about 10 or so minutes then the picture goes off but sound still remains. To restart I turn it off and on again and there the picture is back on for a short while. What could be the problem. Pse help.

Unregistered guest
I turned on my Toshibia Projection TV and it makes a noise like its going to turn on and the red power light comes on but nothing happens as far as a picture or sound. Then the power light starts to flash. HELP, is this something that can be easily repaired?

Fleebo
Unregistered guest
I have a 48inch Pioneer TV I beleive it is a
SD P4683.. maunfactured in 1996..
My problem is the blue convergence is WAY off and cannot be aligned.. any help would be appreciated

Unregistered guest
hello i have a toshiba 40pw8db 40" projection tv and the perspex glass sheet magnifying screen part (i think thats the diffuser) is broken. do yu know how or where i can either get a replacement part (the broken part is easy to take out)or even find the right type of bond to fix it,the tv works perfectly well, its just the lines of the crack shows through when the tv is switched on i would be very grateful if anyone knows a place where i can get that part

Unregistered guest
I have a 1997 Hitachi rear projection tv, and the picture has been getting really dim lately...is this a case of a bulb or something needing replacement or could it be something else?

Unregistered guest
Hi, I was wondering how I can clean my Projection TV? Someone, please let me know!
Thank you
Haley Arnaz

bobbbby
Unregistered guest
I have a Hitachi projection tv (2001) and the colors are distorted and the channel in the right hand corner is curved . I have tried to align the colors as the manual states. They say to get all of the colors to go under the white cross. The problem is that the white line goes side to side fine, but does not go all the way to the top. Any idea as to what I should do.. Thanks

bobbbby
Unregistered guest
I have a Hitachi projection tv (2001) and the colors are distorted and the channel in the right hand corner is curved . I have tried to align the colors as the manual states. They say to get all of the colors to go under the white cross. The problem is that the white line goes side to side fine, but does not go all the way to the top. Any idea as to what I should do.. Thanks

Unregistered guest
I need a replacement screen for a Toshiba 50 inch TheaterView TV. Does anyone knoe where I can get a new or used one? I am sure I can replace it myself, so all I need is the part. Mine is cracked ( a wrestling match between my 4 and 6 year old ).

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Call 800-938-4376 in Buffalo, NY., Radio Equipment Corp. is the closest Toshiba authorized parts distributor to you. Or go to www.radioequip.com

xvxvxvx

Anonymous

please help!!!! i have a toshiba projection tv. everything worked fine untill my cat got into the back of the tv (the cardboard back wasn't on) then the colors were messed up. i adjusted the colors best i could using the knobs in the front after a cover was removed. i used the tv like this for a couple of months untill i couldn't stand watching green people anymore. i looked in the back and unplugged a wire that looked like a spark plug wire. now my tv has terrible picture and flashes. please help!!!!!!!!!

Unregistered guest
Help i have a Hitachi 50dx20b projecion tv, Have taken it for service a few different places no one can find the problem.........what is happening , I turn it on it beeps in the speakers 5 times then shuts down...have to replug and same thing happens.
can someone plz give me an idea what it could be ?
Thanks !

Unregistered guest
I need a fly back transformer-part #2436493. Repairman was at my house 5 minutes for $95. and told me this is what I need. My (almost) 11 yr old, 55" Hitachi tv worked beautiful until this part went out. Sure miss having it working, especially since my husband has been diagnosed with cataracts and can't get them removed til his diabetes is under control. 27" tv just doesn't cut it. Thanks for any help finding the part.

Unregistered guest
I have a 46" sony projection.
It was working fine until one day it
just did not turn on anymore.
It seems it is trying to power on (as shown
by the power LED & a power on sound, then it
it seems to just power of (LED goes off and the
power off sound). Any ideas what to check for.

Anonymous

Circuit City was selling alot (analog) 46 inch Sony specials (made for Circuit City) a few yrs back. If they break - dump them, not worth fixing

If they are non-HDTV's best to dump them and buy Circuit City's new el cheapo HD model the 51 inch Magnavox - a good 16:9 1080I HI def set for the price at less than 1000 dollars SO LONG AS YOU AVOID THE RIPOFF WARRANTY.

Circuits City's profit I believe w/o the warranty is about 20 dollars or so. However they have to sell it if you offer cash. Maganovox gives you a FREE in home one yr warranty

Anonymous

I have an SD-P5073 Pioneer Projection TV, and need to locate a repair center near Greenville, SC.

Anonymous

I have an SD-P5073 Pioneer Projection TV, and need to locate a repair center near Greenville, SC.

Anonymous

DEAD. my Hitachi projection tv (55fx48b)1998
led lights on for about 1 second then turns off when plugged in AC. problem occurred when tv was plugged behind set-top (videoway). ALSO, it happenned before, i just unplugged tv from wall outlet for few hours and then started working normally. PLEASE HELP. p.s. also why when searching the model it says it dosen't exist

Unregistered guest
I turned on my Toshibia Projection TV and it makes a noise like its going to turn on and the red power light comes on but nothing happens as far as a picture or sound. Then the power light starts to flash. HELP, is this something that can be easily repaired?

Username: Sharon

St Johns, MI USA

Post Number: 3
I feel sorry for all you people in the same boat with me. Blame your problems of not being able to fix your tv on the government. They are the ones that made it so you can't get replacement parts. My tv had a beautiful picture til one day it just wouldn't come on anymore. I've got a nice ornament sitting in my livingroom holding my trophies. Televisions should last longer than they do these days. Two years, they go to pot and you might as well throw them away. Sorry for the sarcasm, but the government should leave things alone and let manufacturers make replacement parts past second year our electronics are being used. Good luck if you can find someone with the parts you need.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
If you dislike government intervention then vote Republican. However there is no government regulation stopping manufacturers from stocking or building parts. If you believe that you are looney.

xvxvxvx

dlf
Unregistered guest
I have a Hitachi 60EX38B. There seems to be a problem with the alignment of colors (some sort of pin cushion problem I think)
The picture in the center of the screen seems to be OK, but the farther you move from the center, the worse the picture is (if it's a line, you'll see 2 or 3 lines of different color)

What can the problem be?

Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 43
I had a 10 year old 48" Toshiba and my power button started to do the same thing. I just fiddled with it and was able to make it work. I dont have to worry anymore though because I recently upgraded to a 65" HD tv:-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
LOL @ the Libbies blaming the govt for their projection TV problems.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
dlf.....

Your convergence is off. Go to your menue and check your convergence. It's a common problem as TVs get old. If your tv is like my 10 year old bigscreen was, you might find that your convergence lines have warped with age, and when you line things up to look good in the center of the picture, the top and bottom will remain screwed up.

Maybe its time to upgrade?? Instead of getting mine repaired, I used it as an excuse to upgrade to a new HD model and gave the TV away.

Unregistered guest
i was given a mitsubishi vs7004r that has been in storage for 2 years.it was working fine when put in storage(not heated or cooled,but dry).i hook it up and have perfect sound but only flashes of red & blue colors.mostly just black screen.any ideas on what i'm up against?

Unregistered guest
I have a Pioneer SD P4565 rear projection tv that was given to me. The front screen is cracked and I need a replacement. Does anyone know where I can find one or a repair center near Chattanooga, TN?

Silver Member

Post Number: 215
You should be able to locate local repair shops through the Pioneer website. Those screens are pretty expensive though, and if it's an old set, you might want to upgrade to something HD. The screen repair will probably cost 3x what the TV is worth.

You havnt watched TV until you experience TV in HD.

Unregistered guest
I see somebody up the list here that had a Pioneer 46 with blue convergance off, I didn't see any responses. My pd-4681 (same model as above essentialy with a different tuner) is experiencing some slow blue drift, and the shape of the picture is warping over time. Bottom right hand corner is indented. Afaik there isn't any service mode on this unit, so while I may be able to adjust two of the three colors to square, then the convergance is waay out then. Aside from the malformed picture this tv is still going strong with no burn in, great brightness and good clarity.
Anybody have any ideas?

Unregistered guest
I have a 2 year old SONY Projection KP43T90. The picture appears to have a glaze over any white areas. Any heavy white areas in a tv show, have a fuzzy white halo. Picture seems washed out compared to other tvs in the house. I can turn brightness down to level 0 with little effect on the picture. Sony wants a minimum of $350 to come look at it. Any suggestions other than not buying another Sony projection. I own quite a bit of Sony stuff and never been so disappointed as I am in this TV. Thanks

Unregistered guest
I have a 2 year old SONY Projection KP43T90. The picture appears to have a glaze over any white areas. Any heavy white areas in a tv show, have a fuzzy white halo. Picture seems washed out compared to other tvs in the house. I can turn brightness down to level 0 with little effect on the picture. Sony wants a minimum of $350 to come look at it. Any suggestions other than not buying another Sony projection. I own quite a bit of Sony stuff and never been so disappointed as I am in this TV. Thanks

Username: Lacirose

We have an 11 1/2 yr old Toshiba TP55C80 Projection TV. 2 1/2 yrs ago we had the color convergence- blue replaced, both sides. It was aprox $450. A few days ago the TV went bonkers again. The picture is slightly blurry, and when any writing or the guide to our satellite channels is on the screen the sides and top shrink in kind of like a square with inverted/rounded middle sections. We have tried to adjust it by switching the 'test' button on and then turning the 4 controls governing the Red and Blue Vertical/Horitzontal. None of the buttons do a thing. The lines do not match on the screen in the test mode.
Any suggestions?? Is it worth fixing? Live in a small town, Sears quoted us $150 just for a service call, other option is hope someone can come in from 80 miles away, that ought to be $$$ too!
We have been shopping for a new set but actually,.... we are NOT fans of the 16:9 screens! Haven't seen one yet that looks proportioned correctly!
Thank you for your input! Apologize for the cross posting!

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
we are NOT fans of the 16:9 screens! Haven't seen one yet that looks proportioned correctly!

That is because they are proportioned at a 16:9 ratio not the 4:3 ratio you have become accustomed to. Do you complain at the movie theater when the screen is 16:9 ratio? I think not, just think of it like a movie screen. Besides if you are used to watching a 4:3 ratio screen the widescreen will display in a 4:3 ratio just fine. You wil just have some black (or grey) bars to the sides of the picture being displayed.

xvxvxvx

Post Number: 3
Oh dear, please don't shoot me for the 16:9 ratio remark!!giggle giggle I know it takes some getting used to, however, we are seeing people on the screen who look squished and very wide!! That doesn't seem correct!! JMHO

Post Number: 4
One additional question to those of you who have HDTV. We noticed a marked difference in the picture quality when switching to traditional non HD programming?? Is this normal or was it simply a bad connection by the store?? Even the Plasma, DLP and LCD sets didn't look half as good in non HD channels.

Silver Member

Post Number: 355
Sheriann,
There are several ways to adjust your screen format when you watch lowDef TV. I tend to crop a little off the top and bottom to fill the screen without distorting the images. Some prefer to view them in their natural format, and have the grey bars at the sides. The stretch modes all are lousy, IMO.

You'll also be shocked at the large number of shows that broadcast in HD. Much of your primetime TV linup is in HD. About the only shows that arent, are the news shows and some of the reality shows. Each year, more and more regular TV is in HD. It's almost to the point now that I rarely watch anything that is NOT in HD. Sure, when I watch the evening news or something it isnt, but much of everything else that I watch is HD and broadcast in 16:9. Heck, even American Idol is in HD......Heh.

I agree that the lowDef stuff looks worse, but that's a function of huge screen size, and only 480i to fill a bigscreen. In a few more years, most lowDef 4:3 programming will become a thing of the past. Heck, as it stands now, I barely watch any as it is.

Post Number: 6
Paul; Thank you so much for the information! I really appreciate your input.

J from Jersey
Unregistered guest
I have a 2000 Hitachi 50" and the picture keeps freezing for a few seconds here and there. I also noticed the connections in the back are loose. Do you think the problem can be related?

Unregistered guest
Hitachi model 50ux7k e.g.fluid leaked out of blue lense;{ any contacts to buy parts to rebuild, or replace? older 1991 model ????

Silver Member

Post Number: 447
MT,

Im pretty biased, but projection Tvs from that era are like a stone wheel, and the Tvs today are Goodyear Eagles.

IMO.......your TV has lived a long life, and it's time to pay last respects. Once you take a close look at the new TVs, you'll wonder why you waited so long to upgrade. I dont think an old TV like that is worthy of a repair over $100.(it might cost over half that for an estimate)

good luck

Unregistered guest
Can somebody help me? I have a Pioneer sd-50 (something) but its 50 inches... its about 8 years old and I have a faint 'spiderweb' effect on the screen, and its getting worse.. is it possible that there could actually be a spider making a web in the tv and its getting projected onto the screen? can it be cleaned? the tv hasnt been jarred or moved and its getting worse.....

Unregistered guest
Well, I've seen my question posted here by several people, with no replies. I'm not sure if that makes posting the question again worth it or not, but here goes:

Toshiba TheaterView HD 52" TV, bought in 2001. Working just fine until about two hours ago when the bottom of the picture got a little fuzzy. Then the TV went off. The power light flashes. If I turn it off and leave it for a while, it'll come back on for about 10 minutes, then repeat the same behaviors. I'm in a much different monetary category than I was when I purchased the TV... can it be fixed? (Newly single) I'm not even sure who it is you call to fix this stuff, so if someone can even offer that I'd be happy!

Silver Member

Post Number: 463
Griz,

You can call any authorized Toshiba repair contractor. They'll inspect and give you an in-home estimate for repair. You can either call Toshiba or go to their website to find listings for local contractors.

Unregistered guest
Let me give anyone who reads this some VERY important info.

I own a TV repair shop - so I do not sell extended warranty. If you purchase a tv over 32 inches the extended warranty is Definately worth the price. The bulbs in the new flat screens vary from $175.00 to $700.00 just for the bulb not including labor. The bulb lasts about 2200 hours. Thats 91 days (playing 24 hours a day).
NEW warranty company takes care of their customers.

Carl461
Unregistered guest
I have a 6.5 year old Hitachi 50SBX78B projection TV that died. When I plug it in the red power led comes on for a second then goes off. It does this a few times then shuts off.
I took it in for repairs and was told that they needed to replace the high voltage transformer a regulator and an output transister at a cost of $460 + tax (Canadian dollars).
Does this sound correct?

Unregistered guest
I have a 3-yr-old Hitachi, 57SWZ20B, projection TV. The brightness has diminished considerably and the picture has a dimmed bluish hue, even with the brightness set at 100%. This condition did not occur progressively. Any ideas about the cause and cost?

Unregistered guest
Sorry to repost - I forgot to include an email address.

I have a 6.5 year old Hitachi 50SBX78B projection TV that died. When I plug it in the red power led comes on for a second then goes off. It does this a few times then shuts off.
I took it in for repairs and was told that they needed to replace the high voltage transformer a regulator and an output transister at a cost of $460 + tax (Canadian dollars).
Does this sound correct?

Helpmeh.
Unregistered guest
I have a 56" Zenith tv that is approximately 9 years old. The picture flashes on the screen, like it will shrink and then grow bigger and repeat. Anyone know what to do about that?

Silver Member

Post Number: 517
After nine years, your tv has served you well.........I'd toss that old outdated TV in the garbage because obsolete technology is 'not' worth repairing, nor is it designed to last forever. Why anyone would spend good money repairing an old tank is beyond me.......You now have the perfect excuse to move out of the TV 'dark ages', and enter the world of HDTV.

P.S.
Please tell me you didnt expect a diagnosis via message board? The endles "my old TV doesnt work anymore, what should I do?" questions get old.........I suggest calling a tech to your house if you want a diagnosis. IMO......I wouldnt even waste the $50 for the trip charge because a 9 year old projection TV has so little value.

Buy new!!

Anonymous

This forum reminds me of the old Johnny Nash song, "There Are More Questions Than Answers". If it wasn't for Paul, there would be hardly any answers at all.

Unregistered guest
We have a bug (spider, I think) or possibly a "dust bunny" on the inside of our 1996 Hitachi 50" projection TV (50FX series). I need to know how to remove the front screen. I have the service manual, but amazingly, it doesn't have any disassembly instructions whatsoever. FWIW I'm a degreed EE and Amateur Radio operator who has worked in broadcast engineering and done more than my share of TV repair (including on this set ... it's circuitry), but it's not clear how to remove the front screen for a relatively simple cleaning (set is working fine). Anyone know how to get the screen off? It would seem like something that they would have made easy, but easy or not, it's not obvious. I'd rather not go in thru the back, I fear both breaking the front-surface mirror and messing up the convergence.

Anonymous

I have a 65" Mitsubishi HDTV. Recently, I noticed that sometimes the picture appears to be curved and the text appears to be in multiple colors and curved towards the bottom. Some times the problem appears and sometimes it disappears. Any idea? By the way, this TV is only 2 Years old.

Unregistered guest
I have a 50 inch Toshiba TheaterView that has sound, but no picture. We have repaired it once and are not going to do it again. The convergence board is brand new, along with the screen saver, and inside screen, so we will be selling it for parts. Anyone interested let me know.

Unregistered guest
Projection TV problem.

I have a problem that must be common, but I can't find anything on the Web. Okay, that wasn't supposed to be a pun, but I have a large cobweb inside my 50" Toshiba projection TV.

If I could find a way to open the case and dust it out, I would, but the 50H71 model doesn't seem to work like others in the series, in that there is no drop-down panel in front holding the screen.

Can anyone tell me how to open it or recommend a Los Angeles-area tech I can hire?

Unregistered guest
I have a 55 in sony projector tv and no sound no picture and the timer light blinks and then goes off. nothing help me and it is 11 year old should I get it fix or buy a new one

Unregistered guest
hi just moving home and the screen on my 62" toshiba rear projection tv has been cracked, does anyone know where i can get a new one or it repaired i live in the uk.

Unregistered guest
i have a sony kp57hw40. when i watch TV and a dark scene of the movie comes on you can see light white lines across the screen and u can really see them when you hit the video 2-6 on the blue screen. Otherwise, you dont see the lines. Is this normal ?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1229
No

Sam Tassis
Unregistered guest
i have a sony kp57hw40. when i watch TV and a dark scene of the movie comes on you can see light white lines across the screen and u can really see them when you hit the video 2-6 on the blue screen. Otherwise, you dont see the lines. what do u think the problem may be ?

Sam T
Unregistered guest
i have a sony kp57hw40. when i watch TV and a dark scene of the movie comes on you can see light white lines across the screen and u can really see them when you hit the video 2-6 on the blue screen. Otherwise, you dont see the lines. what might the problem be ? please help

Unregistered guest
ive got a spider thats just gotten inside the cabinet of a new JVC 56". Is this as simple as opening cabinent and blowing through compressed air?

Unregistered guest
ive got a spider thats just gotten inside the cabinet of a new JVC 56". Is this as simple as opening cabinent and blowing through compressed air?

Anonymous

Do newer rear projection TVs need to be cleaned/dusted internally and if so how often or when? I cleaned my earlier RPTVs I had about once a year. The cabinets generally had several air vents and openings and dust collected on the bulbs, mirror and screen. The picture would loose brightness and a dusting significantly improved the image. On my three previous TVs the front screens were easy to remove and it was an easy task. My current Sony HDTV is about a year old but has a tightly sealed cabinet and I see no easy way to remove the screen or back. It appears the picture brightness/sharpness may have dimished slightly since it was new, but that could be my imagination from watching a new TV we have. Half the repair/industry folks I ask say they never need cleaning and half say they do. What is the majority opinion? If they need cleaning, is there a special cleaner that must be used on the screen?

Unregistered guest
I have a pioneer SD-T50W1 I have blue ghosting on the screen around the images. I have checked the cables and aerials and found no problem. When the video is played the image ghosting still occurs. Any idea idea what the problem could be.

Unregistered guest
I have a Hitachi 50fx30b, went to power the television on and the led in front lit up, but only for a moment, went back off then nothing. When you plug TV in you hear a click, if you power off you hear a click, power on a click. Took off back cover and checked, only the RED LED bulb on board, (protection) was activated. Followed service manual instructions, (unplug tv, replug tv, push power and see what happens). Even though there are several GREEN LED bulbs on board, none of those lit up at all. The RED LED bulb comes on dimly at first then goes to full brightness. I have checked on several repair forums, but cannot get a good answer. Television is from 1997, was working fine except that the volume was not as loud as it had been, kept having to turn it up. Not sure what to do on this television. Don't want to pay out a great deal of money, but don't want to just toss it out either. Need detailed instructions, my brother can work on electronics and all, but need to know exactly what could be causing problems and where it is located. Part numbers or even what they are, and where on the circuit board it is located. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Please email me if you have any questions, or answers. Thanks.

Anonymous

Paul would say "buy a new one" but I say BURN YOUR TV . Nothing good can come from it.

Unregistered guest
But I don't wanna burn my tv. I called a repair tech and they said it'd cost around 200 bucks to fix, said something about it being in the power supply and that it could be a regulator or a cap. Does that sound right to you guys out there?

babak123456
Unregistered guest
I have three colors but off each other and picture curved in, zenith z52z95

iwire
Unregistered guest
Well, i hope someone can help. I'v seen this question posted with no reply. I have a toshiba theaterwide that my daughter tried to clean-- too much windex, now i have a faint brown spot at the bottom will this eventually disappear??

Unregistered guest
I saw this problem earlier in the forum with no responses but I guess it can't hurt to ask again. I have an Hitachi 50DX20B that has been damaged. When I turn it on it pulses a few times then turns off. I have to unplug it from the wall and plug it back in to get that much out of it. Any help would be appreciated.

Unlucky320
Unregistered guest
Just wanted to let everyone know that my TV is now working. I'm the one with the Hitachi 50fx30b, went to power the television on and the led in front lit up, but only for a moment, went back off then nothing. When you plug TV in you hear a click, if you power off you hear a click, power on a click. Took off back cover and checked, only the RED LED bulb on board, (protection) was activated. Followed service manual instructions, (unplug tv, replug tv, push power and see what happens). Even though there are several GREEN LED bulbs on board, none of those lit up at all. Anyway, contacted a Hitachi repair guy and was told it was probably a cap or a regulator, we replace a semi conductor, STRM-6511, and now it comes back on. Thanks again for all the help.

Unregistered guest
how do you open a sony kp-53hs10 to clean lens and mirror?

Unregistered guest
Have a Sony KP53s35 Rear Video Projector purchased 01/1998. Worked fine until green saturation appeared with white horizontal lines. Can see image in background, but in about 20 seconds the set shuts off. Any suggestions on how to repair?

Unregistered guest
I have a Mitsubishi VS-4543, it is a 45 inch projection screen made in 1997. I when I turn it on sometimes a picture comes on just for a few minutes then it disappers but the power stays on and audio says on as well. The screen comes back sometimes for bit then turns back off. Anyone know what could cure this? any help would be appreciated. Thanks you can email me at Momentum59@yahoo.com or call 303-667-5620. I live in colorado.

Anonymous

my tv has thin white lines across the screen. also when i turn it off a small bright light appears in the centre of the screen momentarily. what could be wrong and would it be expensive to fix

Terry Gilliam
Unregistered guest
Hello,
My Toshiba TV has a problem with the audio. It makes a poping sound from time to time and sometimes it stops making any sound at all. I can gigle the coax cable or hit it on the side and the problem will go away for a whilw and then come back. Can anyone help me. Thanks

Username: Vcarrier

Lisbon falls, Maine Usa

I have a 1984 vintage Sears front projection TV. It appears moisture dropped into the top area over the 3 colored lights and now the sound works but I get no picture as the lights do not come on. Can anyone tell me where I can get a tech manual on this type of TV and also give me a hint what might have shorted out before I tear into it ? Are these front PTVs "bulbs" fused seperately within the TV?

Unregistered guest
SONY KP-53S55 has blown audio output ic. Can anyone tell me what it is ?

Unregistered guest
I have a Proscan 62" that worked fine until my 2 year old decided to turn it on and off 3 or 4 times continuously. Now when you turn it on the green LED in the center of the power button blinks like 4 times but unit does not power up. I am an Industrial Electrician by trade, now I'm a Controls Engineer designing Industrial Control Systems. I have repaired CRT type TV's in the past but never a projection TV. From what I have read in this forum it sounds like maybe the Flyback transformer. Can anyone give me some advice or maybe even some details as to how I may fix this or at least trouble shoot it?
What ever help I can get would be greatly appreciated.

Unregistered guest
Please Help!
50 inch Hitachi Ultravision. The picture has taken on an Hour Glass shape. It looks as if the picture is wearing an invisible belt around the middle and it has been pulled tight. Also some slight double imaging. I have removed and checked for poor solder joints at all three STK 4274 chips. Solder is ok. Any suggestions? I know this TV is 9 years old, but we are not able to replace at this time. THANKS!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2540
Jerry,

You have two choices.

1. get it serviced(and it will be expensive)
2. buy a new tv

My advice is to upgrade to HDTV. Your old TV has had a good life, and now it's time to put it into retirement.

Anonymous

I have a 60 inch Zenith RPTV my problem is that when I converge the lines together the red is not even with the blue and the Green on the right side of the screen. Now I only payed a small amount for it and I was just wondering not if is worth repairing but if it is repairable. Thanks.

Username: Sackett

To: answer all the questions:

Yes, No, No, Maybe, congratulations, yes and why not !!!

Gezzz. people.

Unregistered guest
I have a RCA 52" projection TV model # P52830BL
that does not power up when turned on. The remote does not work for the TV. It can be un-plugged and then plugged back in and it will come on briefly then turn off. What could be wrong with it???????????

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Many things can cause a TV to fail to start or shutdown. Do you see any type of picture before it turns off? Does the picture fill the screen?

bobismyname
Unregistered guest
talk about thread hijacking

Unregistered guest
Regarding my RCA 52" projection TV model P52830BL,
It comes on then shuts off. We unplug it and it comes on then goes off again. It does this usually. What could be wrong with it??????

Unregistered guest
Regarding my RCA52" projection TV model P52830BL projection TV, yes, when it comes on we see a picture before it shuts off again.

Unregistered guest
WHAT COMPONENT COULD BE BAD ON A RCA 52" PROJECTION TV MODEL # P52830BL WHEN IT COMES ON WITH A PICTURE THEN SHUTS OFF AFTER A FEW MINUTES, AND DOES THIS OVER AND OVER AGAIN?

Unregistered guest
I have a Toshiba 1991 projection TV that was given to me. The only problem is tha tyou have to keep turning it on and off to get the picture right. The picture looks like the trackins is really messed up. Any ideas?

puring
Unregistered guest
I have a mitsubishi 45" projection tv. it was working fine a week ago and gradually showed problems of running white streak lines on the picture along with a bleeping sound. now, the picture is completely covered with white streaks and the problem escalated with the switch now difficult to turn on, at times it would switch on but most of the time no.

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Burt, it's going to take an authorized tech to determine what part is causing your set to shut down. From your description, it's likely in the power supply.

Username: Gravyz

I also have an 11 year mitsubishi 45" projection tv. Never had a problem until this week. Everyday I have been turning up the bright & contrast. Now they are all the way up but the picture is slowly getting dimmer. If there is any kind of fix, reset button or something, anything I'd appreciate it. I want to hold off on a new TV if I can.
Thanks John

Bronze Member
Username: Reinhart

Post Number: 31
Older Mitsubishi sets are notorious for developing leaky electrolytic capacitors, which can cause all sorts of strange malfunctions. The bigger problem here is that the electrolyte is corrosive and can cause more damage to the board by corroding the actual copper traces away!

For Mr. John Bally, does your Mitsubishi set have "Picture in Picture?" If so, it is likely that the PIP module in the set has developed bad electrolytic capacitors. The module will have to be repaired, replaced, or bypassed to restore normal operation. Although the problem can be something else, the possibility of a PIP module failure is very likely as it is a common occurance on Mitsubishi televisions equipped with PIP that have the exact same symptoms that you describe for both direct-view and rear projection CRT sets.

This is a repair that will have to be done by a reputable shop. Shop around for the best rates and try to find one that will do free estimates. - Reinhart

Unregistered guest
I have a 46" RCA rear projection tv that's 11 yrs old. Just recently the picture has started to expand at the top and bottom so that you can not read any scrolling messages or see time of day. The sides of the picture have begun to form a hour glass shape. Any suggestions whether to repair or better yet what is causing the problem. Maybe age?

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Age does eventually get to us all. If convergence is still good, but vertical height has changed, then only the vertical height needs to be changed. There probably is a vertical height control that can be adjusted on the back of the set. It takes a speacial adjustment tool, but the right sized (small flat or torx) screwdriver could be used, too. It's not normally a customer control, but if you are extremely careful, you should be able to do it without harming yourself.

Unregistered guest
I have a 42" projection Sony that has green showing up as a shadow at times. Is theis a problem worth fixing?

Unregistered guest
Just reading various posts and came across John Ballys and then Kip Wells reply- I have an older Mits projection (VS403CA) doing the same thing only no PIP - When signal (sat tv) is run into either video 1 or 2 inputs via RCA's picture is very dark and slowly gets brighter. Over the past week or so - never gets bright enough to see. When input is run through coax to set, picture starts off bright and slowly decreases (10 minutes) until, hey, where did it go. Whats up? I'm going to fix it myself so any suggestions would be appreciated and theres no crane truck in these parts to move this thing.

Unregistered guest
I have a Sony 48" Projection TV its about 6 years old. Model KP-48S70. I tried moving it upstairs and the screen was scratched on the railing. Can I buy a replacement screen online?

Unregistered guest
OK, like reading the posts here and all over the net, there are a bazillion posts like mine with this tv and yes its as old as my kid but like my kid I'd like to keep it going and anyway it seems like caps are probably the problem with these things. I've replaced some IC amplifiers on this and got a few more years and thinking I'll just replace all the caps on what I figure is the board that controls the video - caps are cheap and the worst I'll do is burn my fingers and have the TV in parts all over the living room anyway so any indication of which one the video board would be would be appreciated. Don't think its the one with the tuners on is it. TV's all over the rug now so I'll stay tuned.

Unregistered guest
I have a 1997 46" rca rear projection tv and it went dead and it makes a chirping sound when plugged back in but will not power up just chirp is it the transformer or what please help

Unregistered guest
i have a mitsubishi vs-4543 and the picture will come on and looks great and then 5 minutes later blue,green,and red lines shoot across the screen fromeach side and the picture is gone black. if i press the power button on and off for about five minutes it comes back on the goes black again in 2 minutes or so. i am familiar with electronics so i could probally fix it myself but i need to know what part or parts are bad so i can order them.

Anonymous

Yes, I have a 1983 Mitsubishi Projection television model VS-524R and is in need of replace parts such as: convergence box, and any electrical replacement parts. Was told the parts for this year of t.v. are obsolete, so if any one knows where I can find these parts and if the parts are out there it would be appreciated, thanx (chrispyrex@aol.com)......

WVHSBC
Unregistered guest
HELP!

I have an old NEC projection tv (PJ-4650EN).
Someone tried to clean the screen with windex and
now there is a white streak down the screen.
It isn't very noticeable when the tv is on, but
very ugly when turned off.

Is it possible to repair the screen or find a
replacement? I'm sure the tv is at least 20 years old.

Thanks.

Unregistered guest
I HAVE A 62' PIONEER REAR PROJECTION MODEL SDP62A3K IT HAD A BOWING IN PROBLEM IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SCREEN THEN WENT ONE DAY I HAD IT LOOKED AT AND WAS TOLD TO REPLACE THE POWER SUPPLY/DEFL BOARD AWV1615. I GOT THE BOARD AND INSTALLED IT THE TV WORKED BUT THE PICTURE WAS VERY RED EVEN WHEN I TURNED DOWN THE COLOR DOWN TO -15 AND ON THE 10TH DAY IT FLASHED ONCE THEN MINUTES LATER JUST WENT OFF. IT DOESN'T SEEM TO BE THE SAME THING AS BEFORE BECAUSE WHEN IT WENT BEFORE AT LEAST WHEN YOU TURNED IT ON YOU COULD HEAR IT CLICK ON THEN CLICK BACK OFF SECONDS LATER BUT THIS TIME IT DOES NOTHING WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE CLUE ME IN TO WHAT THE PROBLEM MAY BE. WHEN I WAS TOLD THE FIRST TIME HE TOLD ME TO REPLACE THAT BOARD AND THE FLYBACK TRANSFORMER MAY ALSO BE GONE SO I DON'T KNOW IF THAT MAY BE THE PROBLEM NOW OR NOT.

Anonymous

We have a 52" Magnavox projection tv, we have had it since 1994 and never had a single problem with it, yesterday, the picture went out completely but we still have sound. Does anyone know what the problem could be and is it worth repairing? Thanks for your help.

Unregistered guest
Hi, I have enjoyed reading the comments. We have a 55" Phillips projection TV that is 3 years old. About a week ago the picture began getting darker and darker. The background color is now blue. Does anyone know what is wrong with it? Thanks.

Unregistered guest
Just sold my 52 inch magnavox after 18 years picture was as good as a new tv except for a few scratches on the screen I have a set of boards that I kept as a spare if anyone is interested (main power supply flyback board and main video board stole a cap off one but marked it well so it could easily be replaced email wmarryatt@iwon.com

Unregistered guest
I have a Mitsubishi Projection TV Model VS-50609 that is only 4 years old and the tv has blue and yellow ghost images and the whole picture goes in then out. Does anyone know what causes this or if this is something I can fix myself by doing some adjusting?

Unregistered guest
I have a 52" RCA projection TV (52812BL). When I tried to power it on, I heard 3 short spits and it never powered on. Any Ideas?

Username: Pack57

I need some help please. I ahve a phillips /magnavox 52 inch rear projection T.V.
The problem is this te white balance or drive of anything white in the picture bleeds into the other colors it looks like there is a glow around
anything in the picture. is there a white balance or white drive adjustment to fix the problem? this tv is about 10 or 11 yrs old and is in great condition if not for this one problem. Any help is very much appreciated.

Unregistered guest
Toshiba TheaterView 50" TV, bought in 1996 or so. Working just fine until bottom of the picture text started raising. Color was fine. Had my Boeing Tech brother correct one of the circuit boards and everything was great for about a day or so. Now left side of picture seems out of alignment. Then try adjusting myself..course now its worse! Plan to locate Toshiba dealer but don't see one....does anyone know of dealer here in Seattle or recommend a good TV repairperson? Saw here where Sears will charge a initial $150 fee so if the total costs is not more than $500 might take this option. Otherwise looks like its time to replace it?

Were here in Auburn, WA.

Any other suggestions?

Unregistered guest
I was just given a 15 year old pioneer sd-p5553 tv it worked fine when i picked it up but after moving it the picture was 2 inches too high ajusted the bulbs a little bit and lined up the picture but i am now having a problem with streching at the top in the middle. the convergence lines are all lined up. but just can't get it working right is there something i can do to fix it??? don't reallt want to put money into an old tv. but would like to get it working for superbowl. 30" hdtv not gonna cut it. any help would be appriciated.

Unregistered guest
I've just gotten a pioneer SD-P6085. It has a cracked mirror. Pioneer wants 114 and change for a new mirror. Can I just get a mirror the same size as the one that's in there and replace it? Seems it would be a hell of a lot cheaper. Thanks

db27
Unregistered guest
Need help...RCA 61 inch Projection TV 5 years old. Just switched to Time Warner Cable from DirectTV. Since switch the TV now goes on and off on own, when it comes back on screen remains on channel but in right corner it cycles from 1 to 99. We tried to go into the service menu and it is rotating not allowing any changes. We disconnected the TV from cable and the TV still appears to be stuck or cycling. It is almost as if someone is pressing the channel up buttton on our remote. Any ideas?

Anonymous

I have a RCA 42 inch projection TV, its about 13 years old, but just figured if it could be fixed fairly inexpensively it might as well. The red colour is off when you're watching it, and if you leave it on for a while the picture starts to dissapear in parts and go black. Anyone know what the problem could be?

Unregistered guest
Hey ALL, Any idea how to get the blue convergence going on a 4215W 42" 2003 Samsung? Red is going fine and is adjustable, Blue is stuck and doing nothing? Any ideas. Can adjust it at all. Thanks.

Anonymous

I have a Pioneer SD-P5185 that has worked flawlessly for a good ten years. Last night the convergence gave up and I have some color ghosting and a blue/yellow/black arc across the very bottom of the screen.
I have been able to manually readjust the convergence but it won't hold for more than a few minutes.
If it's the convergence board Pioneer is backordered on it with a delivery estimate of "over 60 days", whenever that began ...
Is this board ($275 from them) something I can replace myself IF they come in?
Thanks

Anonymous

I have a 46inch Philips which is 11 years old. In the first year red lines waved vertically through the screen on the left side and I had the convergence board changed. In the third year the power blinked on and off and took some time to power up, I replaced the power supply. Today the picture is going as i'm losing the blue color. I've just had my big screen taken in for repairs with the idea that the picture comes from color tubes that are sealed with a liquid. Doesn't matter what you do with your tv. The liquid will evaporate, it will freeze, it will overheat. I'm very forturate to have my tv this long. Now you ask others the question here... is it really expensive to fix. Only you know how much is to much. With HDTV looming in the future I choose to fix my projection screen because there are only about 12 HD channels in the area that I live. I will spend $50 dollars for a repairman to come to my home. He comes in and doesn't even remove the back off my tv and tells me it's the fluid in the tubes that needs to be replaced. Yet, I already knew that. I will spend another $100 dollars and pay for a round trip moving company to take my tv to his shop and bring it home when it's done. The bill I will pay for the repair will be about $340 dollars. Big tv's have always been considered a luxury item. I pay a luxury price. If it was a matter of just watching tv, I'd go to another room in my house to watch one of 3, 27 inch tv's or the diningroom for a 21 inch or my garage of a 13 inch tv. If you want to be cheap and save money with ordering parts that your lucky to find searching on-line, good luck.

TheSmiths
Unregistered guest
good thing this forum is here. people come around looking for answers and the majority of the respones go like this:

TRASH IT!!

speaking for most of the posters here "Thanks for nothin!"

Unregistered guest
I have a Phillips 55 PP9401 rear Projection TV Are the Mirrors Cleanable and how to access.Also can the firmware be upgraded and if so how to?? Would like to get 3/2 pulldown I Love this set for two main reasons One I'm able to keep all my components on the top so when moving or replacing equipment I can roll it out of the entertainment center with all cables attached. Two it has 7 diferent inputs 3 being component.

Anonymous

How do i clean the inside screens of my 54 inch projection tv. my wife cleaned the inside lenses with soap and water now left hand side and top of screen is dark.It is a phillps-magnavox.

Unregistered guest
i have a pioneer sd-p6085 and its stuck in standby mode ? at least i think it is wont fully come on just red light appears no pitcure no sound. need help!!!!!

Username: Redstreak

bought a 46 inch sony rear projection tv at a yard sale. I t has a red streak on the bottom of the screen (look like a red water mark). Any suggestion on where it is coming from (on the back of screen or on lights)? Any suggestions on fixing it? Thanks Michael

Username: Quadna71

hey there - i have a philips 55PP9352 unit that i bought in nov of '02. i've had zero problems with the unit with the exception of the spiderwebs inside. i've seen it mentioned often by others looking for guidance to access the inside...can anyone steer us in the right directon? maybe i should just roll it around and start pulling off the back? i just don't want to mess up anything inside since i've had great luck with it so far.
thanks!

Username: Vidrah

I keep seeing people ask how to clean their projection screens but never see an answer. WHY?
I can see handprints on my screen and would like to remove them. I've used warm water as instructed in the manual but that doesn't work.

Username: Steelman35

convergence on a zenith d56w25 how is it done

Username: Steelman35

Need the code for service menu on Zenith d56w25 projection TV

Username: Sierabob

Timmins , Ontario Canada

I have an RCA 52" television that has a yellow spot in the middle. Not really sure what is causing it. Is there anyway to fix it? My husband wants to try to fix it himself if it is just a projection light that needs to be cleaned.

Username: Sierabob

Timmins , Ontario Canada

does anyone know how to remove the yellow spot, or even what's causing it?

Username: Urstupid

Dude, you all are stupid for posting here. Do you really expect to get an answer when there are 300 questions and at most 10 answers? This is a waste of time. Your POS 10 year old TV sucks a$s, set it out by the road and go buy a new one. IMHO

Username: Cristine

New Jersey

My 48 inch Hitachi prjection tv has bending on the top ,awhite line in the middle, and colors on the top do not line up. How extensive is the possible repairs? Does any one know of a repair shop that will service Manahawkin, NJ?

Silver Member
Username: Geeker

Post Number: 151
wtf!?!? does anyone know how to get a replacement screen for a rear projection tv? Seems like an inevitable problem with projection tv's.

Username: Kristal

Toronto, Ontario Canada

I have a 50" or 52" RCA rear projection TV that is about 13 years old. It was working fine before I wet away on vacation and now I am unable to turn it on either with the remote or the power button on the TV. We did managed to turn it on once since and it still works if you can turn it on, but take about 10 minutes to warm up. We have checked all the connections and everything is fine. Do you know why it will not power up? Is it a simple thing to get replaced?

Username: Matt_noname

Los Angeles, CA USA

52" RCA - I bought mine around '95.
About a week ago, I had the same problem. My ballpark estimate over the phone was the power supply for $200-$250. Other adjustments maybe $100. One repair guy wanted $73 service fee + repairs. Forget it. Another guy wants $50 but it goes to the repairs. If no repairs, then you're out $50.

Username: Matt_noname

Los Angeles, CA USA

52" RCA - I bought mine around '95.
About a week ago, I had the same problem. My ballpark estimate over the phone was the power supply for $200-$250. Other adjustments maybe $100. One repair guy wanted $73 service fee + repairs. Forget it. Another guy wants $50 but it goes to the repairs. If no repairs, then you're out $50.

Username: Ruben

I have a Sony KP-53v45 projection tv. Recently it has started fading in and out from b&w to color. Any ideas as to what could be wrong and cost associated in getting it repaired

Username: Fquadri

San Jose, CA USA

I have a Mitsubishi VS60801 1998 rear projection TV. The Video goes blank, sound is ok, after bein on for 30 minutes. I think it needs a Power supply or any suggestion how to fix it or find the right part for replacement.

Username: Arvinnj

VS, NY USA

I own a Sony KP-57HW40 and it turns off after few minutes. The screen turns green and turns off like some fuse blows. The LED flashes 8 times. I bought this like four years ago. Anyone know what the repair is?

Silver Member
Username: Formerly_fx

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 234
One blink - not used for the self-diagnosis

Two blinks - B+ over current protection (OCP), unit goes to the standby mode then displays the 2 blink fault. Could be a short in the power supply of any of the circuits.

Three blinks - B+ over voltage protection (OVP), unit goes to the standby mode then displays the 3 blink fault. This is also a problem in the power supply circuit, check T603 and R672.

Four blinks - No vertical Deflection (V STOP), Screen goes to a single horizontal line then the video signal muted. Check IC1509, Q1505

Five blinks - AKB circuit (automatic kine bias), the timer/standby indicator blinks for about 30 seconds then goes to the self-diagnosis function. Something is wrong with the video. Check video out, Q705, 732, 761 and other components on the Cboard, also check Q218, 219, 220 on the A board. In addition, unit could be in IK blanking, try turning up screen slightly.

Six blinks - No Horizontal (H STOP), no raster, goes to the blinking self-diagnosis function immediately. Check C515 & 516 and the jungle IC, IC206.

Seven blinks - High voltage shutdown. The high voltage has exceeded 33k and the unit goes immediately into safety shutdown. Check power supply regulation and horizontal circuits.

Eight blinks - Problem with the audio (AUDIO), unit goes to standby and blinks the self-diagnosis code. Check IC406 audio amp, PS401, and 402.

Nine blinks - Panel Module Error or Thermal Error. If it is intermittent 9 blinks, meaning sometimes the TV comes on and other times you get flashing, then change the switching regulator. Make sure the part number is -12 or -13.
Intermittent problems? This is a great feature. You can also bring up these fault codes on-screen to see a list of the problem numbers with the abbreviation of the problem and the number of times this problem has occurred. This is slightly different than entering the service mode. To see the diagnostic screen, press the following buttons: Display, Channel, 5, volume Minus, ( not plus ) then Power. This brings up a screen with a list of the problems and number of times they have occurred. Each of the problems named, are abbreviated as, "OCP", "OVP", "V STOP", ETC. We have repeated them in parentheses in the text for the "Blinks" described above so you can correlate between the diagnostic screen and the blink codes.

Now that you know about these self-diagnostics, how do you use them? Say that you have a set with a black screen. You see that the LED is blinking four times. This would tell you that you have no vertical sweep, which is why the video is muted. If it was blinking 6 times, you would know that you have a horizontal fault. It's not a sure cure..

IMPORTANT: After you repair the unit, you MUST clear the values on this diagnostic screen. These codes do not reset themselves after the fault is corrected, so if you don't clear them, you'll be seeing "old" fault codes the next time you enter this screen. Clearing is done by going into the service mode (display, channel, 5, volume plus, then power ). Press 8 and Enter, which returns everything to the factory preset condition.

xvxvxvx

Username: Gersol

I have a 52" RCA projection TV (CTC169). When I tried to power it on, I heard 3 short spits coming from the center projector and it never powered on. This happened right after I cleaned the projectors. Any Ideas?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us