Samsung HL-R5656W pincushion effect in 4:3 mode

Username: Gl90265

Pacific palisades, Ca Usa

Post Number: 1
Do you know how to fix this "hourglass" problem that Samsung says is normal if 1/4" or less? My tv is brand new and the curve is approx. 3/4". I also notice that vertical lines near the sides are curved when the tv is in 16:9 mode.Can you help with these problems or tell me how to get into the service menu and fix.

Bronze Member
Username: Roc383

Detroit, Michigan USA

Post Number: 11
I can tell you for sure that convex (hour glass) cannot be changed in the service menu. A technician was at my home and showed me it is actually a problem with manufacturing tolerances. As he pressed on various edges of the screen frame, the picture distortion changed. Unfortunately, nothing can be done to keep the picture squared up. Sounds like poor tolerances from Samsung engineering. I keep asking the same question as you and dont get any better answers.

Username: Gl90265

Pacific palisades, Ca Usa

Post Number: 2
I don't think i'll go into service menu, but the curving lines really bother me. I see it even on 16:9 mode where the entire screen is filled. Any vertical images near the two sides are NOT straight. It just doesn't look good. Are all samsung dlp sets like this, or is mine defective? What about other dlp manufacturers? Also, my set makes a popping sound every once in awhile. What is that?

Bronze Member
Username: Roc383

Detroit, Michigan USA

Post Number: 12
Thats a good question. The tech that came to my house said that about 90% of the sets he has seen are like that, on various models, and even other manufacturers. In my opinion, 90% are defective then. The tech that I delt with claims to have seen the same effect even on display models in the show rooms of some of the higher end AV shops. That should be embarrassing to the manufacturer.

What is seems really strange, is that you and I are the only ones that seem to be talking about it. I can't believe it doesnt cause a bigger concern - at least it doesnt seem to in this forum.

I haven't heard any popping noises from mine so I cant comment on that.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us