Toshiba 46H84 sale, is it worth it?

Silver Member
Username: Tpizzle

Post Number: 416
I have been looking to upgrade my 20" toshiba lately and have been looking mostly in the 32" sections because of $$ issues. yesterday in the paper i saw a toshiba 46H84 for just $660 brand new. what do you guys think of this, is Toshiba known for making good, reliable big screen tvs?

Silver Member

Post Number: 417
the paper also has a 46" Hitachi-not sure which model-used for just $550. how are these compared to Toshibas? thanks for all the help!!

Silver Member
Username: Hd_fanatic

Boise, ID

Post Number: 162
Personally, I like the Hitachi a tad better than the Toshiba. Both make good TV's though.

A 46" for only 550 bucks?? Wow, that is cheap. I don't see how you can go wrong with either one. Are you sure these are brand new and not refurbished?

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 366
That Toshi model usually runs between $800 and $1200, so, that's a real good price for entry into HD, albeit a CRT.

I agree with HD.
The Hitachi is a better made animal.

Check for an internal ATSC digital tuner. You will have no HD without one. External digital tuners still run around $200-$400 unless you catch a Direct TV deal on an H10 receiver.

Silver Member

Post Number: 418
sorry if this is basic stuff. but for HDTV what all do i need? as mentioned above i need a ATSC digital tuner, but if i were to get the tv what else would i need and about how much $$ would it cost?

Bronze Member
Username: Helpful_smurf

Post Number: 96
#1 thing you need. SOURCE. You need an HD signal to diplasy Hi definition on your HD set. If you have cable, upgrade to digital with HD. If you have satellite you will need to buy an HD reciever and change your service.
The ATSC tuner is only needed for over the air HD reception, if you have cable or sat then you honestly don't really _need_ it but it is nice to have for an added source if your set has Picture in Picture. And Over the air HD is some of the best HD you can get since it is uncompressed.
After that, good power prtection is a good idea, I'm guessing 70 percent of the problems we see in these forums related to unnusually short bulb life are directly tied to damage caused by raw AC power. Spikes and surge with kill your bulbs and cost you money. A good UPS (uninterrupted power supply) is also a good idea if you live in an area like me that is prone to brown out and power failure. The cooling fan on projector set bulbs needs to go through a cooldown cycle when the set is turned off, failure due to sudden power loss of this cycle can also cuase unneccessary wear on expensive high intensity bulbs.

Oh. And you will need snacks. Lots of snacks. :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Helpful_smurf

Post Number: 97
Ah should have reserarched the set first, I see now it's a CRT. The similarity to Tosh's current numbering system on their DLPs threw me. This set has tubes, not bulbs. Power protection is still a good idea but not as critical as the sets with high intesity bulbs. A good surge suppressor will do you fine.

You will still need snacks. I recommend chex mix.

Silver Member

Post Number: 419
does the hitachi also use tubes? or are you just talking about the toshiba? so just to make sure, i dont really need a ATSC tuner as long as i have HD cable.
so if i were to buy one of these tvs, i would only need hd cable and a UPS. (what about componemt cables and stuff like this)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us