Dlp tvs without video delay? Is there one?

Video Game Geek
Unregistered guest
Can anyone tell me if there is a dlp tv which does not suffer from delay using video games? I have a Samsung HLR 5067 and am planning to return it.

I would like to pick up another, but don't want to deal with this problem on my next tv.

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 807
You might have better luck with a RP LCD. DLPs seem to be notorious for latency issues.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 336
Had to jump all over this one, didn't ya, tom?
I wouldn't recommend LCD. Poor refresh rates.

Hey Geek,

Did you use component cables and progressive scan mode?

Smurf has no gaming issues with his 67.

Video Game Geek
Unregistered guest
what's the deal with progressive scan mode?

How do I use it?

I have the component cables, but don't know anything about progressive scan.

I am playing Madden and NCAA Fball 06, in addition to most other sports games.

Thanks for the continuing infomation.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 338
I don't know what brand or year your game box is, but later versions of PS2 and Xbox have support for progressive scan games. When inserted, the option will come on screen or it can be selected from the box's menu. This converts the display from the old interlaced (odd/even lines scanned) method used on tube tv's to the progressive (all lines scanned at once) method of new sets.

Old game boxes were made for tube sets and will not support progressive scan gaming.
Newer boxes will have Y, Pr, Pb connections and will support 480P.
The latest Xbox and the new PS3 will look fantastic on that 67. Crisp clean lines can be expected with no jagged edges.
Many are enjoying HD computer based gaming using the VGA port on the 67.

Video Game Geek
Unregistered guest
I have a very old PS2(from the original sale what seems like 10 years ago.) I thought this might have something to do with my problem.

Are you saying that the new systems(360 and PS3) will not experience this delay? If that were the case, I would definitely keep the TV. I really love everything else about it. Also, do people experience the same delay using the VGA port for computer gaming?

Thanks again for any help/advise.

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 809
I have never read of ANY latency issues with other then a DLP based TV. If you have FYI please post a link,

Where do you read of refresh rate issues with LCD RP TVs,,

You making stuff up again because you worked for Texas Instuments?

Be careful Video Game Geek. FYI is a TI Shill and not really unbiased. Do the research yourself take no ones word for anything. Take you TV back then do soome research. If you find the Samsung passes muster buy it. But don't lose your 30 day return listening o excusses and BS

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 340
That's exactly correct!

The only delays are reported by old box users and a very few old non-progressive games used on newer boxes.

No delays whatsoever have been reported with computer gaming.

I own an HL-R5067 and it's a fantastic display.

Video Game Geek
Unregistered guest
How about the 360 and the ps3?

Are they expected to have any problems with delay/lag?

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 1739
Yeah, motion delay in LCD screens is basically extinct in new models...

iwantanewtv
Unregistered guest
I have the Panasonic PT-50DL54 DLP and I haven't had any delay problems at all.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 344
VGG,

They will have the 720P output, which matches the native display format of your set. While nobody can see the future, they should work fine.

Silver Member
Username: Kdog044

Post Number: 193
The Toshiba integrated sets such as 62HM94, 62HMX94, and the newer 62HM95 and 62HMX95's have a game mode to eliminate any lag or delay between the video games and the controller.

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 875
Samsung is basically the only one that has this problem consistantly. However it does occur with other DLP sets. You won't see the problem with a 3 chip/lamp set (LCD/LCoS/CRT).

I've have also played several hours of Xbox on a Toshiba DLP without any issues. Their "game" mode does work.

RandyM
Unregistered guest
RCA models are fined tuned (via audio delay) so that no matter which input you use, video and audio are always synced together. Simple use of a little memory buffer that most manufacturers overlook.

cheneyp
Unregistered guest
No problem with videogame delays on my RCA DLP

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the feedback, cheneyp. That's what we like to hear.

bigcletus
Unregistered guest
I have a samsung HLR4667 and I have this problem. Is there anything I can do short of getting another tv which is not an option?

Anonymous

Yes!

Get a new gamebox. (xBox or PS3 when available)
Stick with games that use progressive scan mode.
Use component video cables.
Learn about the advantages of pc based gaming on your set.

Bronze Member
Username: Mystro

Post Number: 68
I have not had any video delay problems with my Samsung 61" 1080P. I thought I would have to use my amps time digital video/audio delay compensator but I did'nt have to.

Bronze Member
Username: Doclaw64

Post Number: 21
I have a Toshiba 52HM84 and play alot of video games and never a problem.

Anonymous

i have a samsung hlr4264 and only had a prob with my xbox when the xbox setting was for 720p and 1080i (and the game supports it like mvp)..if i take off the 720p and leave 1080i on, all delay problems go away (with hd connection)...for my ps2 i have had no problems (using s-vid connection)

Anonymous

I have a samsung DLP, I have experienced delay on most sports games and street fighter. Throwing all the bickering aside, does Progessive Scan mode clear this up? Also, I have a s-video for my PS2, do you suggest a component?

Anonymous

Yes!
And yes!

Anonymous

I have the 50" Samsung DLP, HL-R5078W and have experienced about 0.1 sec delay for component analog HD input. The delay changes some depending if I am watching an HD source or not. If I use a HDMI connection with an up converting DVD player (only to 1080i) I get the delay cut down to about 0.07 sec. My thoughts are that HDMI or DVI will cut out an A/D conversion and possibly some video processing, but still has to up convert to 1080p. An s-video cable doesn't solve my problem. My first generation PS2 has a delay in any mode (except "game mode") with any connection b/c the delay is caused by the TV. Also, using the "game mode" on a TV only supports 480i (at least on my set, so check the documentation).

I am pretty sure I will still experience delay using an xbox 360 b/c it doesn't support DVI or HDMI and only outputs at 720p. The PS3 is a different case b/c it will output at 1080p (native resolution for my tv) and uses HDMI, so I hope it won't have any delay.

To understand your delay, you should test different sources with different connections and connect the audio to an external amp with an audio delay function. Also, be aware of your tv's native resolution and the sources output resolution and connection. I am getting the "Light Engine" replaced in a week and will see if this solves the problem.

xbox 360 DLP nut
Unregistered guest
I Have a samsung HLR5067 and was lucky to get a 360 on Nov.22 :-) I tested out two games and I did not notice any time delay in controller response. (ran games in 720P with GAME mode selected on TV with NR filter off)
- First game I tested was Project Gotham Racing : Cars were responsive to controls
- Second game I tested was Call of Duty 2:
Played multiplayer and Firing rifles was fine, did great in deathmatch.

I was using the 360 component cables. All and all I think the HLR5067 is a great buy. I got my tv from amazon (for cost of TV, TV stand and delivery it costs the same as the TV itself from bestbuy!!) I'm covered under samsung's 1 year in home warranty. I would say the only other 720P TV that I would look at in the DLP 50 inch range would be the mitsubishi wd52525. I think the picture quality on this set is slightly better than the HLR5067.

Anonymous

in response to abox 360 DLP nut:

unfortuantly game mode only supports 480i so you were not playing the game in 720p. See link below , search in DLP tv for game mode. Read for yourself.

http://erms.samsungusa.com/customer/sea/jsp/faqs/faqs_ars_input.jsp

there is a comment on the left side that states that game mode only supports 480i for component inputs. And since s-video and AV inputs can't carry a HD signal they also only support 480i. I have a distinct feeling Samsung is trying to hide this video delay as best they can. Since I looked at the HLR5067 manual there was no mention on what game mode does but on the newer models they make this small little comment that game mode only supports 480i.

Username: Jben

Post Number: 1
I was thinking of purchasing a dlp for use in playing pc games. I want to play battlefield 2(and run the pc normally) in 1024 x 768 using a geforce 6200 256 oc which has all the outputs. The best result I read would be to get one with the same native resolution as I would run the game. I don't really understand the capablities of the resolutions or quality they offer like 1080i. I don't mind spending the money for one that will give me the result I'm looking for. Which is no loss of picture quality. What are the stats to look for with using it for pc gaming? Also is dlp like lcd where the low 60hz refresh rate doesn't flicker like a monitor running at 60 hz. I just don't want to buy a dlp that has great resolutions but has much less quality than the smooth 85 hz a crt can produce. So basically I'm looking for full color with minimal flicker at 1024 x 768 resolution. Maybe the computer and game will realize the resolution and offer it as a choice. How good are the projector/pull down screen type vs the boxed? I see, for example

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4267950&cat=130472&type=19& dept=3944&path=0%3A3944%3A3964%3A132959%3A130472

with options for resolutions. I'm very sorry for the long message and thank you for any help you can give me.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us