A Link explains Why Plasma is much better then Lamp Based TV......

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 752
Jexry found this very informative link that has finally put to be certain issues Lamp TV owners claim is wrong with Plasma.

Notice in particular the "Half-Life" game frozen on the screen for 48 hours straight......

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/specsformats/plasmaTVperformance.php

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 284
Looks like an advertisment for plasma tv.

"The image quality of all televisions (and all displays, for that matter) degrade somewhat over time"

FALSE!

DLP display images will not degrade over time, period. That's a proven fact! Take a look at a real torture test.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0%2C1697%2C1049289%2C00.asp

"plasmas results were typically within 5% of their "out of the box" performance at the conclusion of our testing"

Yea...their 48 hour torture test! Oooooweeee! Plasma phosphors will degrade with time, period.

I will concede the supposedly imperceivable motion to avoid burn-in.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 1694
That's coming from a second source and the first source happened to be the developer of the DLP chip.

Not accurate.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1695
Speaking of which, it is comparing projection units...since there are no plasma projection units that isn't a fair comparison and in turn your post is really just a bad attempt at a DLP advertisement, ironically.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 292
Sorry!

The Munsell Color Science Laboratory at the Rochester Institute of Technology is an independent testing facility.

VERY accurate!

Besides, plasma wasn't tested. I wished it had been.

DLP's don't degrade, period!
After all, it's just light and mirrors!

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1696

quote:

Texas Instruments stopped by to tell us about a study they conducted over the past year

So they didn't conduct their own research.

Also, the blue that wore off was a result of high temperatures-these projectors were being run constantly without being turned off. LCD projectors have to be one of the hottest running pieces of electronical equipment I've seen. That's just stupidity to run any LCD projector that long.

And where are the results from TI's mistakenly acclaimed DLP projectors?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 297
"us" being CES.

TI asked the lab to perform the test.
Front projection or rear projection, it's still a DLP. The picture never degraded. The ambient room temp was maintained at 72 degrees. Fans were used to disipate any standing heat.

"That's just stupidity to run any LCD projector that long."

It's a real torture test! Not 48 hours like that rediculous plasma ad link you posted.
False statements are a true indication of a biased article.

Silver Member

Post Number: 759
Pluuueeeease.......... TI "asked" for the test? Give me a break.The COMMISSIONED the test.

The link Jexxposted has much more credibility. No Plasma developer "asked" for that test.

AND YES 48 hours of a FROZEN image on any TV is a great torture test to prove burn in is NOT the issue the seller's of RP Lamp based TVs want you to believe. I have left ny TV on FOX news all night...a few times and have no burn in. And I have an older 4:3 Hitachi Plasma.

NO its you that is biased and your need to bold you response is futher evidance of your desperation to "get the company message out"

Silver Member

Post Number: 760
"
Projector Torture
April 30, 2003
Projector Torture Test: LCD versus DLP
By Nick Stam
discuss Discuss this now (8 posts)

"A few weeks ago, Texas Instruments stopped by to tell us about a study they conducted over the past year with the Munsell Color Science Laboratory at the Rochester Institute of Technology. The study was designed to compare long term reliability of LCD and DLP projectors, and discovered what appears to be real problems with LCD technology. ""

That is the FIRST line from your REAL test LOL.....

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 299
I have no problem with that!
People will take from it what they wish.
The results are independently recorded fact.

Silver Member

Post Number: 768
Only a fool would care about company sponsored commissioned studies.

But then again only a fool would buy a DLP based TV.
The LONG Samsung issue threads on this very board is more then evidance of that.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1697
In all finality, you're trying to compare DLP televisions to plasmas by presenting us with facts relating exclusively to LCD projection technology...

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 302
Not at all!

I only said that a comment in the article was false and supported my position.

That was my only intent.

Silver Member

Post Number: 770
Your position is not supported by a compnay comissioned test. Not as independant as the link Jexx posted.

Bolding does not make it any more true

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 310
Sure it is!
And...sure it does! hehe

And...it's (independent)...moron! LOL

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1703
Hey look everyone, there goes FYI's integrity...

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 313
Ooops! You mean I had some?
And it got away from me? Darn!

Bronze Member
Username: Imustbecrazy

Post Number: 11
These arguments are points. Been there done it. This totally reminds me of the Gamecube, PS2, Xbox fight.

What end up being my solution, I own all three.

Thus, I command everyone reading this post to buy a RPCRT, LCD, DLP, RPLCD, and plasma TV immediately at Costco.

Then we'll all be happy. We'll always have a backup. And, our homes won't be cluttered with couches, beds, or useless kitchen tables.

Silver Member

Post Number: 822
bump

Username: Premiersystems

Post Number: 1
wow, tom, all you do is try to sell your 4:3 plasmas. Plasmas are becoming an outdated technology anyway, at least with dlp projection units you can repair most any problem you have. I have seen tons of plasma screens that have cells that go out or the picture is too dim or foggy to enjoy. All these technologies are good for diffrent reasons.
DLP's can give you a very high quality picture while not costing too much. On average the cost is 2.5 cents an hour and most of the times the bulbs last longer then 8000 hours anyway on most of the new sets. The prices on bulbs will come down considerably in the next couple of years when there is a larger demand for them. A 50" dlp will cost $2000, for a High definition unit with a much better picture than a $3500 50" plasma.
Of course basic cable looks better on your 4:3 plasma whitch i would assume is a EDTV, then on a 16:9 HDTV because a higher quality unit will display all the inperfections of a very low quality signal (usualy around 380 lines of resolution) and when a 4:3 picture is stretched to 16:9 it causes distortion too. So if your going to just be watching basic cable your fine with a POS ED 4:3 plasma but if you get a nice TV be it DLP or pay twice as much and get close to the same quality plasma all you need is a better source like DirecTV or the old VOOM and your picture will look way better then a 4:3 plasma.

There are tons of shows being filmed in HD now not to mention get a HD VCR and get the movies you want in HD and your DLP Tv will look soo much better then most plasmas.

It takes weeeks of a constant image to burn a plasma, and dlp's dont burn. Plasmas produce much more heat then a new LCD flat pannel or DLP and have no where near the picture quality as one. And plasmas start to face out unlike DLPs thats why they rate plasmas with a half life. by the time you spend as much in replacing bulbs for your dlp as a good HD plasma of the same picture quallity costs, your plasma will have past it's half life. LCD pannels last a whole lot longer than plasmas and give a far better picture also.

Sorry for the rant but i have been reading all your other posts trying to sell your junk plasma, if your going to get somthing with such a bad picture quality that basic cable looks good on it you mine as well just pic up a sony tube tv, it will last longer anyway.

Petersen
Unregistered guest
Your preaching to the extinct I think. Seems like (knock wood) that Tom is gone for good, the boards have been pretty normal lately, people asking questions, other peple answering them. It's been great. Don't disturb the ghosts
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us