Lamps only warranted for 90 DAYS!!! 2160 hours./24 hours a day.

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 720
OK people. The manufacturer is warranting their lamps for 2160 hours, Thats 90 days of 24 hour viewing...

You wonder why I am telling you you will need to spend $200-$400 a year on your lamp based TV?

Of course if you only watch your TV 4 hours a day that will turn out to be 540 days of TV watching. Theres your year and a half losers. But all the turn on and off will shorten even that life.

No average Joe TV buyer will acept this and many who have these TVs already are probably sorry they bought them.

The is NO future for $200 expenditures for a TV when there are other TVs to chose from that will not require that expendature.

Username: Harley572

Post Number: 9
tom i know your anti new technology. But Sony warrants lamps 1 year, and so do most manufacturs of new tvs, and who is counting the hours anyway. I can see your point on sets out of warranty possibly still i havent heard of lamps going after 90 days. you have to admit thats not happening, not even on this forum.

Silver Member

Post Number: 726
You are confusing the new Manufacturer warranty with a new lamp warranty. They do not to my knowledge guarentee a lamp for a year by itself. They are playing the odds on a new TV. If people watch for ariund 5 hours a day they will be under 2100 hours.

If the lamps are rated at 6000 hours why not warrant them based on worst case 24 hours a day TV watching? I know why.

BTW I am anti lamp based TV technology. I own a plasma.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 296
Yea...and your plasma will eventually fade away.

DLP lamp projectors can last decades on end!
They will look exactly as brilliant, sharp, and clear as the day they were purchased.

Silver Member

Post Number: 758
Plasma will fade away after 12.5 years of 12 hour a day watching if it gets 1/4 of its rated life.

you will need 26 projector lamps (over $5000 worth) during that same period if they last AT the the manufacturers 90 day warranty (2160 hours). Plus its highy doubtful the color engines will last that long...all the spinning wheels and such.....So you will end up with a dead TV and a DMD chip that will work still...big deal.

CAN and Will are not the same.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 298
Pure speculative bullshit, tom.

Silver Member

Post Number: 761
"DLP can last decades on end" unquote...no speculation there? I suppose TI did that test too, LOL

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 311
Duh....yea!

I gave you a (white papers) pdf.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 312
You don't actually think you can make someone believe that the life of a product or service is equal to the warranty, do you? I got a 90 day warranty on my car repair. I'm confident that the parts and service will last well beyond 90 days. Who are you kidding?

Silver Member

Post Number: 775
Your car probably has a more truthful and trustworthy manufacturer. They have a much bigger vocal outrage to be wary of.

In he case of these lamps....well lets say they are blowing out well withing 2160 hours as reflected on too many threads from too many owners. Less the two years.

Yes the lamp life is proving itself to be short lived, Much mre so then the makers say.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 315
Now...where was that DLP lamp life thread?
I can't seem to find it!
You know, the one where so many have blown in less than 2160 hours.

What a crock of bullshit!

Silver Member

Post Number: 778
They are all over the place. the Samsung problem thread is a good place to start. Panny has their own as week as JVC, Toshiba and others. All one has to do is read.

" My lamp blew only had the TV 6 months, a year and a half, nine months,,," they are all over the place then they have to wait weeks for a $300 lamp!

And my favorite " BUY the EW as it will pay for itself with the lamp you will need in the second year!!!!"

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 319
More bullshit!

Where is the DLP lamp petition?
That's right...there isn't one!

Just group it all together, tom!
Dishonest non-objectivity is your middle name.
Spread those lies, non-owner!

Silver Member

Post Number: 781
DLP LCD LCOS ITS all the same to me.....garbage,

All have threads with multiple issues. In fact DLP has the most! Latency, noise, rainbows, audio sync,,,, Yes DLP is the worst of all. Thats very clear on this very forum......

I am a PROUD non Owner, I escaped the pain of ownership many are experiencing here becasue I read of their pain. You however are Texas Instrument Shill protecting and defending the worst of the worst ib RP fixed Pixel displays. Amazing,

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 321
All brands have threads with multiple issues.
Tell us something new!

Silver Member

Post Number: 785
I do not see nearly as many in the plasma or real LCD threads, Some CRT owners are asking for help on old CRTs.

Other then that this is the only technology where there are many issues with less then two year old TVs and weeks of downtime, People need to read this stuff and steer clear if they choose to.

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 876
Just in the past few days I've seen a few new thread about CRTs breaking down and needing repairs.

Where did you get your lamp warranty info? Every manufacturer warranties the bulbs for 1 year. I've never heard of ANYONE needing a new bulb every 90 days. My new Subaru has a 3 year warranty. By your logic do I need to buy a brand new car in 3 years?

It reason you don't see plasma and RP CRT complaints is simple- NOT MANY PEOPLE BUY THEM. Most people do not want to pay 1.5 to 2x the cost of a LCD/DLP/LCOS to get a plasma. Plus this is not the forum for plasma sets.

People also do not want to get a giant hulking cabinet when for not much more money they can get a "sexy" slim cabinet rear projection FP set. Like it or not, people will choose looks/price over quality most the time. Why do you think Samsung is the #1 seller of rear projection sets? They make great looking cabinets, but are not very reliable.

Anonymous

They are already saying Sony will replace its crts with the Bravia Lcd tvs. When they leave the crt market you will have to take a step down to watch crt.

Silver Member

Post Number: 818
Buy any replacement lamp and enjoy a 90 day warranty on that lamp. Manufacturers warrant new TVs for a year including ALL parts. But you would have to watch TV 6 houres every day for a kamp to burn out. Apparantly many are burning out in the first year and many in the second.
If you do the math on 2160 hours it works out to be more realistic.

You may assume more then 3 years on your Subaru but Subaru does not make outrageous claims past that.
Most RP micro display makers and sellers claims 6000--8000 on thier lamps......when replacement lamps are only really warranted for a paltry 2160 hours.

There is not but a few inches difference in a RPCRT and RP MD TV. You have to add the stand so the height is the same.

most people don't know Plasma has droppped much closer to RP MD levels in some cases. RP micro displays won't have to be the "poor man's plasma" soon.

Sony will make CRTs for years to come......

Silver Member
Username: Hd_fanatic

Boise, ID

Post Number: 132
I was looking through the advertisments in last Sundays paper and I was surprised by how much the plasmas have come down in price. 42" plasmas are going for around 2K, which is about what a quality 42" DLP/LCD RP set goes for. Costco in particular has some really good deals right now. The only problem is when you get over 50" in size, plasma prices go through the roof. Maybe that will change in the near future...

Silver Member

Post Number: 819
not really. Costco has 2 50" Plasmas at $2600 o less and just had a $400 of cupon on one. I am waiting for another $500 dop and Im may be jumping, still waiting to see the SED though first. I actually like the Used Hitachi I bought. Wouldn't have an issue buying a 50" Plasma for $2200 over any RPDLP or LCD LCos etc.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 356
Take a look at the last line of this post, tom!

lotusno6
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 08:14 pm:

I have an HLN437W. It has a problem. After less than 5 minutes of running, the screen freezes with a black and white image. I can still change channels, adjust volume, change inputs etc., but the picture stays frozen. Since I still have a picture, the lamp should still be good. Since the picture is black & white, the color wheel should be OK (I can hear it spinning). Unplugging resets it. This happens with the ANT, Video 1, and component inputs, so it can't be an input card. No blinking lights on the front panel. That leaves the engine or the digital board?
Any ideas? I checked the lamp timer - 10,220 hours in 2 years.

See that number, tom bong?
I'll bet it's a Phillips lamp!
That's 5110 hours a year for 2 years... and counting!
Your claim of 2160 on a DLP lamp is a lie.

Silver Member

Post Number: 830
BS......If those lamps routinely posted those hours they would have longer then a 90 day warranty...

ONE post for ...thousands against.

The bigger issue is this guy has a two year old TV that is crapping out like MANY others on the RP micro display wagon.....IT must be a DLP based set. You Know.... those DLP chips last 30 years!!!

Right...People better feel very lucky when buying this crap...and yours

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 880
Tom-

While I will agree that the lamp life is not always what the manufacturers "claim" it to be, I would also like to note that it is not to the extreme that you are trying to make it be.

Out of the 8 rear projection sets that friends and family have, I had the only one that had an early bulb failure. It was warrantied so no worries, JVC sent a new one overnight. I can tolerate 2 days of watching the old CRT.

The others sets I speak of consist of:
60" Hitachi LCD (new bulb well after the 6k mark)
44" Toshiba DLP (5500 hours, still going strong)
42" Samsung DLP (2+ years old, original bulb)
61" JVC Dila (14 months old, original bulb)
62" Mitsubishi DLP (16 months old, original bulb)
44" Panasonic LCD (4400 hours, original bulb)
50" Samsung DLP ( 5 months old, so still early)

I know most of the sets have not been used up to the quoted bulb life, but most of them are well past the 90 days, 2160 hours you talk about.

Silver Member

Post Number: 837
Well I have to go by what I read in these forums. That is encouraging but I still have to ask myself if I feel lucky when buying lamp based TVs. Thats not a comforting though when buying anything.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 881
I do think it is something people need to be aware of and prepared for. Stores like Best Buy really brush off the lamp issue and say "that won't happen for years, but just to be safe you need the $400 E.W." Their E.W. doesn't even cover lamps for the most part.

I know my current lamp WILL die one of these days, but my lamp is covered for 4 years thru my $180 E.W.
I was well aware of the fact that the lamps will die, but I am prepared to spend $200 to replace them when my warranty is done.

Bronze Member
Username: Kwallstorm

Post Number: 14
Mr Lynch
I have to agree with you on this bulb issue. I recently purchased a 46HM95 knowing that I'll probably have to replace the new bulb sometime. But, I'm prepared to do that since I'm quite happy with the performance of the set. I also purchased the EW - 5yrs for $190 and it covers bulbs. By the way, I was looking at the JVC but unfortunately it wouldn't fit.

Bronze Member
Username: Mystro

Post Number: 59
Your kidding right? DLP has a relative linear life until the bulb(engine) goes. Plasma starts degrading from day one and worrying about pixel burn out and screen burn-in? Compaired to DLP performance verses cost is nominal for DLP.
There is'nt a Plasma out at any cost that has 10,000 to 1 contrast and 1080p in a large screen format. It was a no brainer what screen to use in my media room. Samsungs 1080p 61" DLP.
Upload

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 378
Nice!

Adopt me...please!

Bronze Member
Username: Roc383

Detroit, Michigan USA

Post Number: 13
"Your car probably has a more truthful and trustworthy manufacturer." - Tom Bong

I work for one of those manufacturers. All I can say to that is, BWAAAA HAAAA HAAAA HAAAA!!!!

Plasmas are throw-away units. My Sammy DLP is fantastic.

Mystro, holy cow. Nice set up!

Username: Blackcatx1

Shirley, IN USA

Post Number: 1
Where can I buy the Radiance 150 Hi-Bright Lamp for the 52HM95 Toshiba? Thankyou

Silver Member
Username: Helpful_smurf

Post Number: 118
Best Buy.com has a link to replacement parts at the bottom of the page. You should be able to order a lamp from there.

Username: Likegrouch

Post Number: 5
Here is a compilation of the JVC lamp life
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/176314.html

Unregistered guest
hi
what do you guys think of the 50vg825 and what extended warrenty do you suggest
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us