JVC HD 61Z 886

Username: Samyklein

New Rochelle, NY

Post Number: 1
I'd like to hear from folks who have this set with tips on use, adjustment - calibration, and getting things like the split screen feature to work. The instruction manual seems quite limited at times despite it's bulk

Sk

Bronze Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 56
This set is pretty close to it. https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/69211.html

Username: Witschen

Post Number: 5
do you own the TV? if so how do you like it so far and are there any regrets?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 76
To tell you the truth I haven't watched it too much yet, because I had a Toshiba 57H81 sitting directly in front of it blocking the view.

Just sold the 57H81, the3 new owner pciking it up just last night.... Now I have to hook up all the AV stuff, fiqure out a place to put everything.

Bought the set as a DOA display, the lamp was blown because it seems they would kill the power to the displays each night, which fryed the lamp.

One thing I would do if I was you is to run the set on a UPS, both to filter the power, and to keep power to the set in case of power failure so the lamp goes down thru the cool down process properly... Another thing I would do (that I did with the 57H81) was while NOT watching the TV, killing power to it to extend the life of the set.

Two things that is impressive is:

1: The set went for about 6-7 months having the power killed-(Improper cool down)

2: JVC overnighted me a lamp, no charge... plugged it in and the set works.

Am I happy with it?

Paid $1,000 for a set that is selling thru that vendor of $2999.48

(Set and TechCraft stand)

TIP for those who may be buying a display...

Don't have the Extended Warranty paperwork in front of me right now, but I'd find out the CUT-OFF point for the Extended Warranty "out front cost"... what I mean is for a set that was sold at $999.99 the EW ESP plan for three years would be I think $69.95... and the set rung up at $1,000.. being $198 +/-

I choose NOT to buy the extended warranty since it would have been the higher fiqure since the set was rung up at $1,000... instead of $999.99

One last thing...THE NEW warranty thru SAM'S CLUB does NOT cover LAMPS people. Keep that in mind.

Post Number: 6
its good to hear that someone will have first hand experience with this set before i buy it in a few months. if you dont mind being a guinea pig, let me know your thought on the set when you do get it up and running. thanks!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
Eric, I can relate to that. Always nice to talk with people who OWN a item before buying.

Keep in mind that most people, even if they made a bad purchase sometimes don't spill the beans. (Especially in front of the wife /girlfriend ... Not so bad in front of the wife since you already have the fish in the boat so to speak... but you REALLY don't want to look like an idiot in front of the "girlfreind":-)

Then you have the types like Tom Bong (Now BANNED, but posting under other names AKA Fred Bailey, TomBong)

That do not own a certain type set, are not a tech, not a parts man, are not in the business but seem to think they know everything about it. (Bong bad mouths any set that uses a "lamp")

For example here's one aspect these types such as bong haven't thought about... I just sold a CRT based Toshiba 57 inch set, it weighed around 254 lbs... (The set I had before that weighed 275+ lbs!)

The JVC is right around 98 lbs.

If both were to require service, I bet the 254 lb set is:
1: More likely to get damaged being moved (3 of the 4 sets I had serviced /shipped got damaged during transit.)https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=474384#POST474384
2: Is going to cost more to move. And cost more to service due to that weight/bulk.

A set weighing 98 lbs can be moved by yourself and your girlfriend. It CAN be "taken" to a repair center.. VS having them come "pick-it-up" which is going to make a big differance in the total repair costs.

PS: On buying it, see if COSTCO carries it. You can return the set at ANY time (5 years from now) and get your money back if you are unhappy with it.

Post Number: 7
I have a Sam's club membership...I know they carry TVs but I'm not sure about the JVC but I'll def check it out! After reading more about the D-ila 1080p sets and seeing that their MSRPs are VERY reasonable, I may go in that direction (prob 56" as 61 may be a bit too pricey). Id hope that a lot of the kinks will be worked out but im sure they will have their own probs. How much does a 3 or 4 year extended warranty on these run? If the 720p variations drop enough in price I may still spring for one and upgrade the bedroom TV as well!

On a side note, anyone hear of hooking up a media center PC to the JVC models? I have a spare PC (p4 3.4ghz, dual WD raptors in raid 0, 1gb ddr 400 ram, radion 9800 pro and audigy 2) lying around since i use my laptop all the time. Big attraction there is that I wouldnt have to upgrade my audio system b/c I have a 560watt 5.1 THX system for it. Also could download and play some pretty cool 1080p loops. If anyone has any info on this about how to interface them etc let me know. Thanks agian!

Post Number: 8
Oops didnt mean to hijack...ive been following this thread as well as my own about the same TV and mixed em up.

I DID very recently read a thread on avsforum.com that had very detailed calibrations on this set and it makes ALL the difference. also a mod for the black levels if they arent up to your likings. If I can find the threads ill let you know.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 86
Eric,

I got my at Sam's... only because it was a display that was dead (lamp blown)

The "retail" pull ticket for those units they had NIB said "One Time Buy"... My store stocking several.. the other stores nearby not having any. (I don't know if they were already sold out, or it was a market thing.)

The model being a HD-61z575.

Here's a thread with lots of posts in it... the sets being talked about simular to the set you have in mind.

If you find ANY info about the PC hook up, repost it please. In the below link from what I've read so far the video card needs a HDMI output, a DVI-I? output will work but you have to use an adapther to convert to component.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/69211.html

On the Sam's vs COSTCO issue, If COSTCO carries the set you want you'd be a fool to buy it thru Sam's.

The Sam's EW is something like $198 for three years for a tv priced 1,000 to 4,000... but "NEW" the company they use does not cover "lamps".

Regardless if I was buying a set a "retail" ($3,000) I would get an EW even if it doesn't cover "lamps".

https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=474384#POST474384

Bronze Member

Post Number: 87
Eric, I wouldn't worry too much about hijacking the thread... Sam the OP posted his question Sep 20,,, and he has NOT posted back.

On those settings you were talking about PLEASE repost the settings... provide links, etc.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 88
Eric,

One more thing in case you missed it

Repost ANY info you find about building up a HD HTPC set-up.

Here's a post I made, One gentleman responded with some info: https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=440500#POST440500

Post Number: 9
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=528179

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=423390

These are a few to get you started. Unfortunately I was just doing general research when I came across the info. Should have bookmarked it but I didnt. best bet is prob to do a search on the boards over there. I hear that there are major problems with the JVCs and HTPCs. There was a big tutorial about powerstrip and how to overcome some of the issues but, again, I have to hunt for it agian. I am def in the same boat as you right now in needing the info so I will continue to look. There is a simple "filter" mod for the black levels of the JVCs that seems like it makes an AMAZING difference for the people who have completes it. Maybe worth posting on that board to see if anyone has the links to the threads that I cant find.

I was in best buy today checking out sets and the 56" G series JVC was there. Must say it was good, but I think the calibrations were off because the 61HM95 by tosh was IMO the smoothest and least pixelated of all the sets. Around the same price as the 56" JVC and its 6 inches larger. Hmmm..prob just calibration issues. But there is a serious amount of chatter on those sets over there so Id check it out.

Post Number: 10
About "HDCP" copyright BS...

Seems like in order to use the DVI->HDMI you need a HDCP compatible graphics card. I have the Radeon 9800 pro and Ive heard it works through this but I hear that the 9800 regular wont. Also heard though that on some sets it is interlaced only with my card. Anyway, I think the only way to get digital without analog conversion is this way (DVI->HDMI). I really want digital b/c I want to mainly run true high def content (720p or if i go that route, 1080p) from the HTPC for "bragging rights" purposes. This isnt even addressing the issues specifically to the JVC line, but its a start.

Maybe powerstrip combined with a HDCP compatible fx card will make things work??? Wish I had one of these sets to hook up to my computer before I buy it...then I would just install Windows XP MCE calibrate powerstip and see.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 98
Eric, from what little I've read the DVI-I output cards WILL work, just an adapther is needed.

If not a HDMI output card is needed.

I've got a ATI 8500 ??? , but I haven't got a chance to install /hook it up, nor have I gotten around to ordering the adapther.

It would sort of be stupid for card mfg's to not make cards that would work prorerly.

Got to ask.. have you contacted ATI?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 99
On the copyright statement I had made before:

This is straight from the jvc site http://www.jvc.com/Presentations/HDILA/connect.html

"HDMI is the new standard in digital content protection

Every JVC HDTV is equipped with an HDMI Digital interface that provides an uncompressed high bandwidth digital connection from any HDMI compatible device. This method of displaying digital signals allows for a noise free,unaltered transmission of the digital content. HDMI is the new standard in digital content protection and JVC was the first to incorporate it into all our HDTV models."

'NEW" standard to me means about 1-1/2 to 2 years before all the mfg's make products that will talk to on another without issue.

Once the "new" standard is "cracked" (the copyright BS).. then they will come out with a newer "better" standard... and of course you'll have to buy all new stuff...

Some here may disagreed but I've noticed on many products once the patent runs out, or it's "cracked"... they have a way of coming out with the new "big thing".. that you are forced into buying.

I'm all for advances... I just hate it that Hollywood forces their whim on everyone causing problems.$$$$$$

Hey Hollywood... Bring down the price of a DVD to say $10-$15 and nobody would bother to copy anything thats "hot".

Hope I explained that right.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
The 9800 and 8500 generations ATIs (not the XT models) are over 2 years old. I built my PC almost 3 years ago so prob even cloeser to 3. Prob why some cards dont support HDCP b/c I beleive HDMI is from around that same generation (as well as the "new" copyright concepts). I havent contacted ATI b/c I hear my card is HDCP compliant.

I stumbled upon a good calibration read...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=6324200#post6324200
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us