Panasonic DVD -S77 & HDMI & 5.1 Audio Question

ikoiko
Unregistered guest
Sorry for the cross post.

I have a Panasonic DVD-S77 connected via HDMI to a JVC-HD-56G886; an optical audio cable connects the DVD player to a Harmon Kardan 5.1 receiver.

When I check the settings on the DVD player it tells me the audio output is PCM and 2 channel. Is the receiver converting the sound from 2-channel to 5.1? If not, what should I do differently with the audio connection to the receiver to ensure that I'm getting 5.1 sound (multi channel) output?

Thanks in advance for your advise!!!

Erroneous
Unregistered guest
I would say you need to change the players output from "pcm" to "Bitstream" or whatever the equivalent is in the players setup options. Otherwise your are telling the player NOT to pass a DD or DTS bitstream.

Unregistered guest
if you read the manual (page 8) it says that dvd-audio will be only 2 channels when using a coaxial or optical cable -- the only way to get 5.1 surround sound audio is through using 6 cables to connect into your receiver (assuming it has component audio input). hope this helps.

Username: Drybones

Carson City

Post Number: 1
I need to purchase a low to mid price range reciever for my Panasonic DVD-S77 player.
A reciever that will allow me to utilize the
6 audio outputs from the Panasonic DVD-S77 .

Any help is most appreciated.

Bronze Member
Username: Toolmaker

Providence, RI

Post Number: 21
By changing your output from PCM to Dolby Digital or DTS, you will receive DD5.1 or above from your HDMI, Optical, and Coaxial connections, when playing DVD Videos & Movies.

DVD-A refers to DVD Audio, which is a multi-channel audio format, which is in competition with another multi-channel audio format called SACD. These are basically audio CD's that are mixed in 6 channel, instead of 2 channel (stereo). To receive 6 channel audio sound, from these audio disks, you must have a receiver and player that supports DVD-A or SACD, and if so they will both have 6 RCA audio connectors to make the connection.

My Harmon Kardon receiver has 8 RCA audio inputs, which not only will support these formats, but is ready for the future should they add two more.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us