To those on the fence.....

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 421
Would you buy a $20,000 car if you needed a $2000 brake job every year or two? and would you pay $3000 for an EW in addition on the same car?

Thats what a lamp will cost in perspective to the purchase price of any DLP and RPLCD TV. A lamp that does not have huge R&D expenses to recoup. No way a projector lamp should cost $200-$400. And the EW. I never bought one on anything but again it seems kind of high.

Now there is the perspective I used when deciding against DLP and RPLCD. When you look at it that way it does seem kind of rediculous to pay that much to own one of these TVs.

A car has way more more moving and expensive parts and complicated computer electronics,audio systems etc and then is operated in all kinds of weather, rain extreme heat,snow and on a variety of road conditions yet the worthless EW cost a smaller percentage of the purchase price then on these TVs. A single part can cost more then a whole TV. A TV operates in a coddled stationary climate controlled environment for a few hours a day, yet the EWs cost in many cases 25% of the purchase price. Either the EW is a total waste (Which I believe all are) and a huge profit (yep) based on scare tactics (the most effective advertising is)
OR the sets are inclined to have a lot of issues....Neither of which is a good thing,

Bronze Member
Username: Dlp4me

Post Number: 82
Another day...another bullshiter!

Silver Member

Post Number: 423
Is that the best you can do. Show the flaws in my example. Make a decent argument at least.

Smoking from a Bong
Unregistered guest
If it keeps the car I want running the way I want it to then that is MY decision.

I don't undersatnd why YOU have to try and persuade other people to be on YOUR side of the tv fence.

Keep YOUR OPINIONS to youself! Notice the word OPINION!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
Yea tom, you're a bullshiter!
That's all you get from me.
Can't you see I'm trying to be helpful today?
Preach to your crowd if you think they're around.

Looks like some are growing weary of your bullshit.

Silver Member

Post Number: 424
You have not been around. Its usually the same guy under 23 different names responding. LOL But even so I do not care what others think of me.

Alternative opinions are usually not welcome in society. It's okay. DLP4Me is late to the party and immediately in defensive mode. I wonder why?
Perhaps he is trying to convince himself he made the right choice in his defense of the tecnology.

Surely he is not doing a public service by recommending someone spend thousands in addition to the purchase cost over the life of the TV. Yeah
Well take a good look at that picture quality fence sitters and ask yourself if it is THAT much better and worth the added expenses an aggravation. IF you can handle the issues AFTER you EW runs out and it will...well....If so break out the Credit Card. If not.....well don't thank me. You did the research and it will pay off. Guarenteed money in the bank.

Plasma and pure LCD is a better choice if you HAVE to have a fixed pixel display. Those forums are not ladden with so many "HELP!!!" cries.

IF someone is on the fence, my analogy a great way to look at buying a DLP or RPCRT TV in relation to another large purchase everyone makes. And I am here offing my opinion free of charge whether you fan boys who might be still trying to convince even yourselves you made the right choice like it or not, respond with insult and name callin or not....especially giving the example I provided of the insanity of it all. Your insult only serves fuels the fire.

T projection Tvs makers seem to have torn a page from PT Barnums book......"There's an AZZ for every seat" Indeed there is.

The accountants who count the EW money know this all to well. Except of course the ones sold on DLPs......They might only be breaking even.

Many

Silver Member

Post Number: 425
>>>>Preach to your crowd if you think they're around. <<<

Thank You now go away....

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 1560
A car requires constant maintenance and new parts unlike a TV. You pay quite a bit just for a new set of tires, yet they're just 'designed' rubber.

Though, yes, the prices they charge for some TVs can be outrageous, especially considering how tangent they are to our daily lives (though most would reject this).

And what is an EW?

Bronze Member
Username: Hd_fanatic

Boise, ID

Post Number: 97
EW = Extended Warranty

Silver Member

Post Number: 430
Extended Warranty....EW

You are making my point! A car requires MORE parts yet the Warranties are less in relation to the cost of those many parts that could go bad..

Yes you do pay quite a bit for new tires but do you need to replace them in 6-24 months. If that were so there would be a firestorm of protest.

People who spend thousands on new technology would rathr make excuses for it then admit they were to quick to the draw and maybe a little nieve.

There are more excuses made for this technology when it is challenged on many fronts. Many will say its connector wire quality (right) There are videophiles on AVS that are buying their HDMI cables for less then $10 at a recognized place on the net and swearing by them. There are those who claim cable TV is the culprit yet millions of housholds are happy with their cable...Especially a few of those those 14 or so percent with HDTV when they realize do not have to pay $900 for an HD/DVR box..

These Tvs are a novelty right now for many who are watching content they never would have watched before because its in HD! That makes me laugh a bit.Those are not good representations of the common Joe.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1562
Ah, thanks.

quote:

Either the EW is a total waste (Which I believe all are) and a huge profit (yep) based on scare tactics (the most effective advertising is)

I couldn't see extended warranties being a bad thing. I've used a multitude of them and have saved, literally, thousands of dollars-especially applicable to digital cameras and laptops. They are always expensive. The TVs you're referring to here happen to be, well, expensive TVs; the extended warranty-per-original purchase price ratio is in proportion with that of most extended warranties. Basically, it might seem more salient due to the original purchase price being higher.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1563

quote:

Yes you do pay quite a bit for new tires but do you need to replace them in 6-24 months. If that were so there would be a firestorm of protest.

I can see that as being possible for nicer tires.

quote:

People who spend thousands on new technology would rathr make excuses for it then admit they were to quick to the draw and maybe a little nieve.

That's somewhat biased, but I agree about the technology, it's obviously expensive and not very perfected...

Blaming it all on cables is an interesting perspective, but not one I agree with...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 95
No such luck, tom!

You intellectualy impotent types are fun to mess with!

There are over 5 million DLP's in service from over 75 makers, and you group a few glitches from two forums, form a shallow, narrow minded opinion, and crusade to pan a display revolution. You haven't even owned one yet, but there all chopped liver to you. You may have convinced yourself that DLP is not one of the highest quality displays in the history display technology and that's fine. Preaching your bulshit take on others to the extent that you have (424 posts since July) is a whole new twisted motivation that many folks will find disturbing. Perhaps you should consult a professional shrink about this bizzar obsession of yours.

I'm all for anyone choosing the product they want.
Makes no difference to me. Until D-ILA LCOS is a fast refreshing proven technology, I'm of the opinion that the DLP display is the absolute best available on the market today. It's a brilliant, sharp, clear, accurately colorful experience with the right signal put to it. It can't even be matched by anything out there in my opinion.

DLP is the preferred and only projection technology of professional Cinemas. They have billions invested to display content the way that producers and directors intended. Having a mini version of that in my home has been an incredible pleasure for me. I highly reccommend that anyone interested in having the very best in home theater consider a beautiful DLP display of their choice. Compliment that with a quality surround sound system and pop some corn. It doesn't get any better!

Bronze Member

Boise, ID

Post Number: 100
"Many will say its connector wire quality (right) There are videophiles on AVS that are buying their HDMI cables for less then $10 at a recognized place on the net and swearing by them."

I don't hear of many people on this forum stating that the quality of the wire is at fault, but the TYPE certainly is. (S-video and composite suck for HD). Component, DVI and HDMI are the only worthy connections. And yes, you can buy decent HDMI cables for cheap here...

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10231&cs_id=1023101 &p_id=2286&seq=1&format=2&style=

Silver Member

Post Number: 434
You are one of those who have bought into the scare tactics. Either thet or you are highly unlucky.

I have bought in the last 25 years:

7 cars (all used) 3 years or older
6 washer dryer combos in three homes
3 refridgerators
4 notebook computers 6 desktops
51" Toshiba RPCRT (8 years old now)
1 36" Sanyo
2 27" GE
2 lawn tractors
1 18 foot Searay
2 Honda Bikes

and a lot of other electronics type stuff and NEVER bought an extended Warranty.

I have had repairs on the cars only one equalling or exceeding the cost of the warranty DURING the warranty period.

No major issues with the notebooks or computers
No issues with the W.D or Refers
Toshiba had a $125 service call three years ago (off any EW that I was offered)
No issue with the bikes, boat, and the lawn tractors one of which is now 6 years old,

I can say I have saved over $7,000 alone on the cars I bought and kept for an avg of four years each. Another $2000 on the bikes and the boat,,,,and another $2500 or so on the rest.

Repair costs on all the above maybe $3500-$4000

Do the math. EWs are the most profitable part of many sales. They are betting their gear is great and will not need service...you are betting it's crap and will.

I'd rather play on the side of the house and have confidance in my purchases rather then be convinced everything I buy will break down.

But us older people have more life experience and remember a time when there were no Extended Warranties. Most things are made better today. (Thank You Japan) Cars certainly are by far.
The young are weened on EWs and scared into buying them. I have said it before.

The best way to sell something...anything is to use the fear factor...Look around Everything causes or prevents cancer, gonna keep the bad guys away, (gonna keep you from going broke when the very thing they are doing is making you more broke) Babys riding on your tires...Uh oh....

Look at the most successful advertising..based on appealing to people's greatest fears. BTW thats "inside" infornation.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1564

quote:

There are over 5 million DLP's in service from over 75 makers, and you group a few glitches from two forums, form a shallow, narrow minded opinion, and crusade to pan a display revolution.

Not really, I see them on a day to day basis in an electronics facility. Not to mention, I've used more than twenty.

quote:

DLP is the preferred and only projection technology of professional Cinemas. They have billions invested to display content the way that producers and directors intended.

Just because it's the 'preferred' technology or even has had billions dumped into it makes it a great thing. Bose had a similar contract with the military (headphones for pilots) but their equipment didn't meet the expectations of the military because of the poor build quality-even though they used some of the 'newest technology'.

Calling us 'intellectually impotent' doesn't help either.

Silver Member

Boise, ID

Post Number: 101
Hey DLP,

Since LCoS works off of reflective technolgy, the refresh rates between it and DLP are very similar. (faster than typical LCD) DLP probably has a slight edge there but not much. The tighter cell spacing of LCoS makes up for that IMO.

BTW, I think you are starting to wear old Tommy boy out. Instead of 50 posts a day, he's down to about 20. Geeez.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 97
I wasn't talking to you, Jexx.

Don't get all worked up!

Silver Member

Post Number: 435
>>>DLP is the preferred and only projection technology of professional Cinemas<<<

And thats where it belongs. Thats not a credible endorsement of the technology for home use. Theaters have no issues with lamp life.Its a cost of doing business. Has been for years. Nor do the minions of videophiles who have front projectors in their homes who's lamps burn out at 1200 hours. You said so yourself.

The average Joe does not want to spend 20% or more of the whole TV cost every year or two just to keep it displaying images. BEt on it.

, The whining and gnashing of teeth in this forum and EVERY other forum on the subject proves that beyond doubt, And many of those who come to these forums are gadget phreaks and videophile types besides who have more patience for the latest and greatest!!

As more regular people buy this technology and are wallopped with a $300 lamp repair bill or maybe even a $100 service call to put it in, the forums will light up even more then they are now which is quite alot considering its usually fa boys of certain technology that frequent and seek out these forums in the first place.

If THOSE guys are taking issue and they are...more here in Lamp based display land then anywhere else I am sure the average Joe will be more unhappy.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 98
HD,

I know that existing JVC's have a problem with action scenes and letter crawls in particular. Their new models are supposed to correct that.

bong is certainly a strange bird with a very twisted motivation.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 99
You get 5 million of anything out on the market and see how well you keep each and every unit working perfectly. Your expectations are absurdly unrealistic. Your narrow minded view is not reality. It's just your narrow minded view.

Silver Member

Post Number: 436
>>>and crusade to pan a display revolution<<<<

Being a bit dramatic here DLP?. I am not crusading. I am stating my opinion,,,,then being forced to defend it as if I had just called the Pop a Jew.

Hardly a crusade. I believe the real crusade is on the other side of the fence. I enjoy the iPOD...when someone comes into the iPod forum and busts them right or wrong...I do not feel the need to defend Apple and the the iPod. I let them have their voice and let the reader make their own assumptions of fact and fiction.

You boys cannot do that. You are the ones on the crusade. I am just defending my meager opinion. time and time again.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1565

quote:

Do the math. EWs are the most profitable part of many sales. They are betting their gear is great and will not need service...you are betting it's crap and will.

Interesting point. But your own words said something to the effect that DLP is a naive technology. So the manufacturers are hoping, not necessarily betting that the equipment will not fail. With this technology, you should bet it's garbage and will fail prematurely. I've seen people that don't buy extended warranties then get mad because their one year old plasma went out and is going to cost thousands of dollars to fix. Not to say I buy an 'EW' for absolutely everything electronic I purchase either.

I would say (read:assume) my supposed unluckiness resulted from our differentiating usage of equipment, ultimately.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 100
Duhh....436 posts about the same by god subject is a freak'n crusade in my book.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1566
Sorry if I come across as harsh or anything, but this is a good thread...

Silver Member

Boise, ID

Post Number: 102
I am certianly not on a crusade here. My opinions are strictly un-biased. I know the pluses and minuses of each technology. I am not on here trying to convince people to buy anything. I only offer advice when it is asked.

BTW, who you calling boys?

Silver Member

Post Number: 438
Yes I am convinced you should buy an Extended Warranty on a DLP or LCDRP TV. Its for that reason among many others I would not touch or recommend this technology to anyone I liked.

Why would I buy something I KNOW will fail and pay THOUSANDS of DOLLARS FOR IT? And then ANOTHER 25% because I know it will fail.....Does that seem logical to you?

Read the story of Toyota Motors....I believe they sell less EWs then any other automaker. WHy? Because you are highly ulikely to need it. Thats a great reason to BUY a Toyota new or especially used!!!

That most people think that way is why Toyota is where it is today.

Silver Member

Post Number: 102
Wouldn't want a Toyota!
Some wouldn't want a CRT.
Some prefer lamp projection for it's obvious benefits.
Some are willing to buy lamps as needed.
They new it was a consumable going in.
Some are willing to buy an EW.
They new it was cutting edge technology going in.
Absolutely nothing wrong with that!
I reccommend DLP to anyone that wants a nice big detailed display that will satisfy.

Silver Member

Post Number: 439
The number of my posts only really show the vehimence of those who defend the flawed product.

IF no one responded I would have much fewer posts and would not be forced into explaining myself over and over again to every new fan boy who just tunes in takes offense at my meager opinion.

I enjoy reading you guys falling all over your selves to defend this technology and whn you can't begin with name calling and angry rhetoric. I do find that extremily amusing. Yes Iam having some fun at your expense while sharing my opinion at the same time. I'd say I'm in a pretty good place.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1568

quote:

Why would I buy something I KNOW will fail and pay THOUSANDS of DOLLARS FOR IT? And then ANOTHER 25% because I know it will fail.....Does that seem logical to you?

It doesn't seem logical at all. But you have to remember, this isn't just anything, this is suppposed to be the best you can get. With so much instant gratification today and more to come in the future, the mindset is basically "why not make the purchase and have it now?" It's terrible, appetite defeats reality too many times.

Toyota might have excellent quality, but they aren't exactly a Mercedes.

Me? I'll take the Toyota anyway.

Silver Member

Post Number: 103
And all this time I thought you were sit'n there huff'n weed and lost track of time.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1569
Heheh

quote:

I would have much fewer posts and would not be forced into explaining myself over and over again to every new fan boy who just tunes in takes offense at my meager opinion.

If I'm part of that (which I obviously hope I'm not), I'm on your side with this one. Sorry to seem bothersome but I find your critical thinking skills intriguing(which is a good thing).

Silver Member

Post Number: 442
"this is suppposed to be the best you can get"

You are kidding right. Well you are entitled to your opinion. This is not the best you can get in mine. Quite the opposite. Its all flash no substance. No reliability. High cost of ownership for a TV that is only at its best on ONE source!! That source being HD where there really is not alot of great content in my opinion and where you have to PAY more for the pleasure of watching obscure HD tier content.

No the best is yet to come. in my opinion this is an interim solution using technology designed for front projection which will go the way of the "Laser Disc."

The fact that you better buy an EW will help it along in that direction. Just like the Yugo!

Silver Member

Boise, ID

Post Number: 103
"IF no one responded I would have much fewer posts and would not be forced into explaining myself over and over again to every new fan boy who just tunes in takes offense at my meager opinion."
DLP,
I think he just called you a "new fan boy". LOL He's been called much worse though, so I guess it's fair game.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1570
Tom,

On the contrary, I was describing that excerpt from DLP owners' mistaken point of view: It simply appears to be the best, though it obviously isn't.

Silver Member

Post Number: 444
Not exactly DLP. Jexx is actually quite a refreshing change from the tired defense of this technology. He asks good questions and is very civil even in his disagreement. I really ment the likes of DLP4ME who comes in and goes on an insulting name callin tirade after reading one of my posts.

It is you that might be rattling the cage here.

Silver Member

Boise, ID

Post Number: 104
"That source being HD where there really is not alot of great content in my opinion and where you have to PAY more for the pleasure of watching obscure HD tier content."

One could argue that there is nothing on TV worth watching. That's what DVD's are for. But with a simple antenna, local HD can be had for FREE in most areas.

BTW, you keep using the Laser Disc analogy, but I do not believe that there were 5 million LD players sold. The only reason Laser Disc didn't do well was because of the size of the discs. People want smaller, compact electronics. Enter the microdisplay. Smaller and more compact than CRT. That has people lining up for it. Hows that for a reverse pshycology analogy???

(BTW I have nothing against CRT especially since I own 3 of them!)

Silver Member

Post Number: 445
Not a unreasonable argument but exchange smaller and compact for reliable and free future cost.

The real argument is many DLP owners sincerely believe DLP is the end all of picture quality and gladly will pay the additional "premiums" for that which they considerto be the state of the art in display technology.

I happen to think it is an amalgum of other technologies molded into an interum relatively affordable Plasma solution for the masses until the real CRT progression technology comes out which is both affordable and is more CRT like in ownership. Turn on and forget for 5-10 years! Thats what the average Joe's expectation is.

Now manufacturers want to change those expectetions and sometimes they get away with it. (Cable TV and wireless phones service)is a good example. IF they do..Shame on Joe average for allowing it to happen.

BTW the size of the display is not that much smaller then RPCRT. a few less inches deep and most need an (yet another $300 expense) stand where the other TV had it built in.

Now yes they are much lighter but since they are not universally considered portable (especially after the spagetti hook-ups) I do not find that a valid argument in favor of microdisplays. Unles of course you live upstairs on a balsa wood floor.

The only thing really micro are the display components.

Silver Member

Boise, ID

Post Number: 105
"The only thing really micro are the display components."

That's correct. There are called micro displays because they use micro-chips directly to display the image. Many people think they are called micro because of the physical size and that's not true.

And I will agree with you on your average Joe expectation. Turn it on and forget about it.

Hey DLP, I thought Phillips was developing a bulb that was supposed to last for something like 10 - 20 years of normal use. Have you heard anymore on that? Of course if they were successful, the DLP manufacturers might have an interest in buying out the patent so they could continue selling more bulbs.

Silver Member

Post Number: 448
>>>>Toyota might have excellent quality, but they aren't exactly a Mercedes.<<<<

LOL Well if it's prestige one needs in order to feel good about themselves. Thats a whole other area of issue. If people are buying these TVs as a status symbol I 'm afraid those types should know DLP is really a poor man's Plasma. And A $6000 Plasma is truly a wasteful status symbol.

BTW I do not believe for a moment Mercedes Benz is more reliable then a Toyota. Maybe better performance wise or to impress those who are impressed by such things but not more reliable at all.

(Ok I might be a little biased because I drive a 4 year old Avalon (Lexus quality in every way without the "prestigous" badge)and a 6 year old 4WD Tacoma).

Gold Member

Post Number: 1572
Yeah, that's why I used Mercedes as an example, they've been notorious for repairations during the past few years due to the highly complex electronics they incorporate, plus their merge with Chrysler hasn't helped.

Silver Member

Post Number: 453
I am not one to buy anythinig for prestige. People are more impressed with semi retirement in my 40's. Yes I drive 4 year or older cars, Own a small house (free and clear). No debt, Always lived on less then I made which means no major debt when possible. I make "car payments" to myself with interest! Been doing it on all my cars for 20 years. The in four years I take the savings and shop for another. Each time the savings gets larger the longer I keep a car. Little things like that.Sometimes its ...WELL ALWAYS it's less expensive to FIX a car rather then buy a new one. I have an OLD TV. Looking to replace it. But in no hurry.

I am not rich by any stretch of the imagination. I earn less then $20,000 a year now, My wife less. Both musicians. But with a paid for house on a small lake and no debt we live better and more stressfree then many who earn or needs to earn 4X that. But I have something that's worth more then money. FREEDOM. No alarm clock. My days mostly belong to me. I can spend it here pissing off fan boys and waring others to do research and save ways to save their money or fishing out back.

That has always been more impressive to me growing older then someone's Lexus or Rolex or any of the other junk people go in debt for and need to feel "above the crowd"

I appeal to people not to waste money. You don't waste money by doing research. You waste money by buying EWs. (becasue you can't afford not to -crazy logic there) If you can afford $2500 for a damn TV you can afford to fix it IF it goes bad IN ONLY THE 2 YEARS after the EW runs out anyway. After a few TVs of EW SAVINGS the next one is FREE. IM on that schedule now!!

If you pay with some Credit CArds you automaticlly get ANOTHER FREE YEAR anyway. BUT PAY THEM OFF LOL.Its small things like that you do all your life and the payoff adds up very quickly,

Anyway I have gotten off the beaten path here but you seem like a smart guy with an open mind and eager to learn.

Silver Member

Post Number: 109
I wrote such a good opinion above that I would like to make an oncore presentation as often as necessary.

You intellectualy impotent types are fun to mess with, tom! Since you seem to keep repeating yourself to stay in the forefront of the forum, let me assure you that I can do the same.

There are over 5 million DLP's in service from over 75 makers, and you group a few glitches from two forums, form a shallow, narrow minded opinion, and crusade to pan a truly wonderful display revolution. You haven't even owned one yet, but they're all chopped liver to you. Your effort to compare CRT to lamp projector technology and then claim that consumable lamp failures in DLP's are proof of a flawed technology is absurd. I see where you whine about millions of flipping mirrors, but I can't find a failed DMD chip thread. You cry about spinning color wheels, but I can't find the failed color wheel thread, either. I see where you have grouped Panasonic LCD lamp failures and Sony LCD display failures in with DLP to form your opinions. Honest objectivity is absent from your determinations. You may have convinced yourself that DLP is not one of the highest quality displays in the history of display technology and that's fine. Preaching your non-objective bulshit opinions on others to the extent that you have (455 posts since July) is a whole new twisted motivation that many folks will find disturbing. Perhaps you should consult a professional shrink about this bizzar obsession of yours.

I'm all for anyone choosing the product they want. Makes no difference to me. Until D-ILA LCOS is a faster refreshing proven technology, I'm of the opinion that the DLP display is the absolute best available on the market today. It's a brilliant, sharp, clear, accurately colorful experience with the right signal put to it. It can't even be matched by anything out there in my opinion.

DLP is the preferred and only projection technology of professional Cinemas. They have billions invested to display content the way that producers and directors intended. Having a mini version of that in my home has been an incredible pleasure for me. I highly reccommend that anyone interested in having the very best in home theater consider a beautiful DLP display of their choice. Compliment that with a quality surround sound system and pop some corn. It doesn't get any better!

Silver Member

Post Number: 463

OMG!!!!!! you are wa off base in with that analogy!!!!HAd to bold that one..

Directors want FILM to be projected. FILM!! They could care less what lamp or technology provides the light ..... I do not think they would want Video broadcasts of their work to be scaled and up and/or down converted to a fixed pixel display distorting their images with comic book like contrast !!!!! LOL You do surprise me with this one. Zealotry is ok but this is a little to much of an insult to any film lover's intellegance.

BTW folks Bring your wallets......You WILL need andother $250 or so per year in addition for lamps. YOu will get the BEST picture on only ONE input source. You will have periods of time when you are waiting for a replacemnt lamp during that time your TV will have the deepest blacks it will ever have. LOL

Amused
Unregistered guest
"You will have periods of time when you are waiting for a replacemnt lamp during that time your TV will have the deepest blacks it will ever have. LOL "

That's a good one!

Score:
Tom Bong 7
DLP4me 0

Silver Member

Post Number: 114
Stick to one user name, tom!

More lies from the bong man.

You are not very smart, tom.
Content providers want the best delivery system for their work. The Cinemas have chosen just that. No more film projectors in any modern cinema.

I'm coming up on three years on the same lamp.
The price is $199 and will drop.
My spare cost me $95 on eBay.
No downtime for me and others who know this is consumable lamp projector technology.
I chose it for the obvious benefits. A bigger,
better, more brilliant, detailed display that the CRT will never never deliver!!!

Score:

DLP4me! Clear winner!
tom bong stuck watching his non-HD CRT

Silver Member

Post Number: 468
YOu can't be comparing Theatrical input source to thses Home DLP displays.

So what you are saying in Hollywood is not making any prints and distributing them for projection in movie theaters? So uh what....Are they sending DVDs to play back on progressive DVD player through DLP projectors? Is that what you are saying....Jeeeze I hope not.

As far as your storybook lamp experience goes..you are very lucky

And yes have a spare around spend $2500 for a TV then another $400 for a needed EW AND another $200 for a lamp...yeah that bright comic book like PQ on only one source is worth it...Yep. I'll take two. LOL

BTW I am not Amused. I post under ONE name ALL the time.

Silver Member

Post Number: 120
Absolutely!
Do you think they still ship cans of film? LOL

My five year EW was $299
My spare lamp was $95
If I can do it, anyone can.

Silver Member

Post Number: 471
YES MOST theaters still use shipped prints dummy!!

Digital Cinema is in its infancy. In NYC alone there are only 11 digital theaters. In the Entire stae of California 26 theaters are digital.

It's just like you types to proclaim a universal truth when the reality reveals it's hardly in use at all.

But like I said before comparing a home DLP system to a Theatrical DLP system is like comparing a 747 to Piper Cub......they both fly....

Silver Member

Post Number: 127
You intellectualy impotent types are fun to mess with, tom! Since you seem to keep repeating yourself to stay in the forefront of the forum, let me assure you that I can do the same.

There are over 5 million DLP's in service from over 75 makers, and you group a few glitches from two forums, form a shallow, narrow minded opinion, and crusade to pan a truly wonderful display revolution. You haven't even owned one yet, but they're all chopped liver to you. Your effort to compare CRT to lamp projector technology and then claim that consumable lamps in DLP's are proof of a flawed technology is absurd. I see where you whine about millions of flipping mirrors, but I can't find a failed DMD chip thread. You cry about spinning color wheels, but I can't find the failed color wheel thread, either. I see where you have grouped Panasonic LCD lamp failures and Sony LCD display failures in with DLP to form your opinions. Honest objectivity is absent from your determinations. You may have convinced yourself that DLP is not one of the highest quality displays in the history of display technology and that's fine. Preaching your non-objective bulshit opinions on others to the extent that you have (455 posts since July) is a whole new twisted motivation that many folks will find disturbing. Perhaps you should consult a professional shrink about this bizzar obsession of yours.

I'm all for anyone choosing the product they want. Makes no difference to me. Until D-ILA LCOS is a faster refreshing proven technology, I'm of the opinion that the DLP display is the absolute best available on the market today. It's a brilliant, sharp, clear, accurately colorful experience with the right signal put to it. It can't even be matched by anything out there in my opinion.

DLP is the superior and preferred projection technology of professional Cinemas. They have billions invested to display content the way that producers and directors intended. With 35 trillion colors (8 times more than film) and no fade or flutter it has surpassed film in reproductive display quality. Having a mini version of that in my home has been an incredible pleasure for me. I highly reccommend that anyone interested in having the very best in home theater consider a beautiful DLP display of their choice. Compliment that with a quality surround sound system and pop some corn. Reasonably priced home theater doesn't get any better!

Silver Member

Post Number: 480
Here we go again...Spam and paste.....You think you are the first to try this. You think you are the first to run out of words. Think again....

YOu sound like a commercial for Texas Instruments...Oh wait you have...Your food and shelter are provided by them!!!

Wow And I thought all this time you were just a regular Joe who had no bias.....Go away your credibility should be shot with anyone on the fence. You may as well get a JOB nights working at Best Buy!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 134
LOL

To Those that say
Unregistered guest
DLP4me!,

I think that you are a shill for one of the mfg's, or have stock in the companies.

SHILL= Someone who works for a company that cruises the Internet forums doing "damage control", but says they are not associated with any company.

A SHILL I guess could also be someone that has a vested financial interest, such as someone who owned stock, or had a business or whatever to keep the gravy ride from ending.

You seem to know allot of details that persons on the inside would be privy to so I think you are a shill.

DLP4me! = SHILL.

Silver Member

Post Number: 149
LOL

Silver Member

Post Number: 501
Don't ask me...I'm intellecchually important!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 169
hehe

To Those that say
Unregistered guest
On most boards it's against the rules to post one word responses.

Trying to get your "post count" up, eh?

Silver Member

Post Number: 180
"On most boards it's against the rules"

Oooooo!
Petty bullshit!

Silver Member

Post Number: 506
Bump.....bump

Is that ok?

Username: Pavelow3

Post Number: 2
I'm still waiting for a TV that is sub $1000, does not require a new bulb every 3-4 years, presents HD as well as NTSC (legacy view) in good quality without snow and artifacts. I still have a CRT that I bought in 1984 for $600 (today's money--probably $1200) that is multi-system. The picture is beautiful but only 27". I've repaired it four times in the 21 years, each time at about $75-90. I'm with tom bong on this. I'm real tempted to buy DLP now. But every 6 months the quality and the chips change for the better. Prices are starting to come down. Some reivews predict sub-$1000 DLPs by XMas of 2006. I'm marching in place.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1598
That price drop also includes LCD panels-something I would much rather have as opposed to a DLP.

Username: Pavelow3

Post Number: 3
I like the LCDs, too. But the only way I would buy one is if the refresh rates went way up. Action flics typically have pixilation that either appear as screen door or as flashing verticle white lines about one inch in length.

Silver Member

Post Number: 516
I like the LCDs as well, IN fact I was at Costco today looking at the Aquos 37" for $1900!! They had a Phillips 32 next to it for less then $1000!

But I am of the mind that the sub $1000 TV over 42" is around the corner and there will be many choices.

I prodict thos will be DLP's biggest year. IN 2006 The true flat screens will be a better bargain in both size and ongoing costs relegating DLP and RPLCD quickly to diminished status.....if only becasue of the lamp issues. With $40 lamps I think they can still be contenders.

Plasma is dropping and I suspect it will also be the next to peak is sales.

PAV You cannot go by specs. Refreshrates are all acroos the board, A TV with a speced 26ms Refesh rate could be faster then another rated at 12ms.

Your eyes should be the final judge after you read the makers ad drivel, the opinion, and sales dweebs coaxing.

Username: Imustbecrazy

Post Number: 6
Evening ladies and gentlemen;

My two cents....

I think it really doesn't matter what you buy. You're basically buying a snapshot in time.

I doubt this will be anyone's last tv purchase and the new tv's will always have something better. But, you can fall into the dangerous never buying, constantly waiting existence.

Tom, you do make good points with RPCRT, but again I stress the moment in time issue.

What do I mean, well, do you know how many LP's I still own. CD's were the end all. But, now were starting to see the limitations od CD, that is their sampling rate below the curve isn't as true as the analog needle within the groove; however, here's the problem, most receivers don't come with turntable inputs, so the moment in time has forced us to convert whether we wanted to or not.

Same for TV. Mine does 720p and 1080i. You'll see a lot of talk about 1080p. PS3 and HD-DVD will be the only 1080p source. It might become a dead future invention. Remember QUAD stereo sound from the late 60's.

Just buy the tv that makes you happy and continue to come to this board an act like our drunk drinking buddy that is sometimes we may break into a fist fight, but as always, when the fight is over, we closer friends.

Now move along, there's nothing to see here.

Silver Member

Post Number: 518
I own too many LPs as well . SACD is going nowhere. The CD although at 44.1Khx at 16bit is not perfect it is better then the clicks, static , and pops one has to deal with in an LP no matter how clean they are, not to mention the wearing out of the grooves.

CD beats analog on nearly every level if not sonicly...even then though most do not listen in an anaholic chamber and could not hear the difference. Most if not all people can not hear the difference between 16bit and 24 bit 44.1 Khx and 96 Khz....Its all marketing and trying to sell us the same thing over and over again.

I have my entire CD and LP collection on a 40G iRiver ripped at up to 320. I defy anyone to even tell the difference between the compressed version and CD versions...especially in everyday listening.

People are getting smart. "New and improved" does not always mean better. Perhaps in some unaudable or visual technical specification, yes. But the biological limitations of humans are the real bottleneck when it comes to new and improved.

The rainbow effects in the early DLPsn bears this out.Todays kids loss of hearing in early ages due to loud listening in iPods will render many audio improvements moot in the future,LOL.

Yes Buy the TV that makes you happy..because you did all the research you could and have decided that there is no doubt you made the right choice for years to come. Remembering a TV all throughout it's technological history has been owned alot longer then the average car. You have to know it's more then today's happiness you are buying at this moment in time.

Silver Member

Post Number: 213
Be careful if you are reading a "tom bong" post.
Don't get caught in the "bong spin zone"!

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/158832.html

BTW, no charge for my opinion.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1624
Just curious, Tom, do you use any music composing or editing software?

Silver Member

Post Number: 559
Absolutely for 20 years I have used Cakewalk since the first version. Now Im on their Sonar 5. I also have acid, Sound Forge, Vegas. and a crapload of plugins. I have a studio in my home and have been in that business for years.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1625
Wow, that's incredible! I just got Finale 2006 and have been playing with that. I was curious what type of software you used...previous to this I've been using SoundForge mostly as well. I was also looking into getting Emagic Logic Pro (or just platinum) because of its focus on electronica...

Do you have any outboard processors in addition to Cakewalk?

Silver Member

Post Number: 572
Too many to list. All the Waves stuff. All the Timeworks stuff, Lexicain....yeah too much to list.

Finale is a score writing program. Why are you using that as a sequencer?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1629
I have to start somewhere :P

The big three appear to be Sonar, Cubase and Logic Pro(Though logic is now mac-only based). From what I have read, Sonar does seem the best...with Cubase close behind and Logic Pro very far behind...I'm new to all of this so your suggestions would be much appreciated.

bearcat 13444
Unregistered guest
Tom Bong ruins all topic discussions with his stupid repetitive comments. I'm looking for constuctive information and have to scroll thru all of his views. please ignore his rants and just give us half of the worthless non responses to ignore.

Silver Member

Post Number: 578
Ignore my "rant" at your won expense. There are no discussions here fan boy. Only screams for help with this technology and those who are protecting and defending it as it's their livlihood.

People should read all opinions before wasting their cash on this technology. Yes including yours....and mine. If they don't they may be the next crying on this forum for help becasue their TV has been useless for weeks while they wait for service or worse a $300 lamp!!!

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1634

quote:

Tom Bong ruins all topic discussions with his stupid repetitive comments.

Better than repetitive spam.

Not smart to single Tom out like that.

Silver Member

Post Number: 593
You call this thread a discussion?

I call it a warning. NOw get out of my thread! LOL

Most other threads are screams for help!! Hardly discussions glorifying the technology except for the defense of it of course.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1642
I hate to continue going off topic but...

quote:

for 20 years I have used Cakewalk since the first version.

Do you have any samples of your work? I would love to hear them...

Silver Member

Post Number: 678
Lee Phillips

To Those that say
Unregistered guest
Gentlemen,

As most everyone here knows Tom Bong has NO class, and continues to post in almost every thread his rantings. I believe everyone here should e-mail the admin's of this board. (Instructions at bottom of this post)

He has been asked nicely several times to bow out of threads that do not directly affect him. https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=456260#POST456260

Another case in point would be the below thread, BONG does not own, or intend to BUY a lamp based set, but yet posts the same SPAM, over and over again.

According to Bong, it won't do any good, he says he doesn't have a static ISP, that he's not going away https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=457702#POST457702

Class act, let me tell you.

How about EVERYONE here e-mailing the ADMIN's of this board about him. The e-mail address is on the help /rules /instruction page: https://www.ecoustics.com/bbs/board-instructions.html

Look for "Where to get further information", click on CONTACT link, You can't PM the ADMIN (doesn't work), But there IS a e-mail link right under it "Please address general questions and concerns to"

Silver Member

Post Number: 683
Do you really think this is going to work?

Most people here do not care. They are not affected. They are not inclined to protect and defend. they go about their business seeking the information they want, share a little and move on,,,,,

You five guys are my personal favorites

Silver Member

Post Number: 777
bump

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 317
"bump"

You must mean that brain tumor growing on the side of your head.

Silver Member

Post Number: 779
Thanks for helping keep this near the top.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 318
Why don't you help that "hookick" fellow with his broken Zeneth RP CRT?

Why doesn't BONG help the guy with his broken crt set?
Unregistered guest
FYI,

Why doesn't BONG help the guy with his broken crt set?

1: Because he care nothing about helping CURRENT owners, he has said so many times that he cares nothing about current owners of sets that are having problems.

2: He couldn't fix a set if his life depended on it, He's a TROLL that likes to cause trouble.

Silver Member

Post Number: 780
NO I cannot help, nor will I pretend to know what to do help them like many here do. The very few who post with RPCRT issues will not find any help onthese boards filled with fixed pixel fanatics.. Many of those RPCRT owners have had those sets trouble free many many years anyway.

I can, have. and will continue to help a few save a ton of money on RP fixed pixel display technology though. Byy imporing them to read the thousands of posta with cries for help and petitions. I do not see thw RPCRT owners screming as loud. They know they have gtten their mooney's worth and will agin if they buy another.

My causing of trouble is becasue I am pointing newbies to real owners with many many issues and those like yourself who do not register so they can post in many different names trying to make it look like there is a lot of people against my opinion. You are a shill for a retailer or manufacturer as are my most vocal detractors......

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 322
You're a pathetic excuse for a human being.
You are as proud of your sick ideas as you are of your sick composition skills. What comes across to most is an ignorant, unskilled, uneducated rant from a non-owner of the technologies you downplay. What a worthless piece of sh!t you are.

Silver Member

Post Number: 783
Somebody is very frustrated! LOL

Ys I am proud of my composition skills and through all the typos, spulling errers, grammatical errors, my message is still getting through to a few. There are a few detractors like yourself who are extremily frustrated that even one soul would take my advice which is really only for them to read read read the issues people are having and ask themselves if they feel lucky?

Time for you to switch to DLP4ME isn't it? Need to show a dirth of opposition to my opinion don't ya TI boy?

shut your mouth
Unregistered guest
bONG, if you would shut your mouth people would post tech info.

This forum is a joke for useful info largely due to you.

There is some tech info, but you have to wade thru 50 of your posts repeating the same useless garbage in each thread.

I hope you one day you get real sick and the doctor that needs info to fix YOU has to wade thru 50 posts of someone like you in the info the doctor needs.

You also have a bad habit of taking a thread off topic. I hope the doctor that one day needs the info otherwise you croke runs across someone like you and does not find the info he needs.

Better yet I hope it's someone you love, and you have to watch them suffer due to some idiot like you.

Some idiot posting crap, or maybe some idiot like you that thinks it's cool to do an attack on a site and the site goes down and the doctor can't access the info.

People come here looking for INFO, tech info to fix a problem. Very few come here before buying.

Bong's response, blah, blah, I don't care about people who have already bought, blah, blah ,blah.

Silver Member

Post Number: 788
Same unregistered guy same post

Ok lets see.....your TV is equavalent to your health. WOW

Your Tv is your lover...sorry bout that one.

Look you are very weak and I have been attacked for my opinion by much smarter people. I suggest you look somewhere else for help. There is no help here only a lot of "me toos" and "lets start a petition" crap. No help just a bunch of disgruntled RP Tv owners.

Maybe a few should come here before buying, In fact I knkow of four who did and decided to research further based on my advice to read the forums and all the issues and how they are resolved. That validates my purpose so go rah rah somewhere else IM not going anywhere,

They tried to ban me (LOL) and Im here, You won't make any difference here. Go away Mr Smurf!!

Wagonburner
Unregistered guest
WOW!..I can just feel the love around here! Better than the political forums..LOL!
Tom, your making alot of friends...and,and,and after that Internet surfing Doctor buys the step by step DVD on heart surgery, the DLP's bulb blows half way thru the operation and,and,and you have to lay there suffering for 3 weeks waiting for the replacement!...LOL!

Just kidding Tom!
I wish no ill will to anyone.

Wagonburner
Unregistered guest
WOW!..I can just feel the love around here! Better than the political forums..LOL!
Tom, your making alot of friends...and,and,and after that Internet surfing Doctor buys the step by step DVD on heart surgery, the DLP's bulb blows half way thru the operation and,and,and you have to lay there suffering for 3 weeks waiting for the replacement!...LOL!

Just kidding Tom!
I wish no ill will to anyone.

Wagonburner
Unregistered guest
Oop's

Shut your mouth
Unregistered guest
bNONG, you have nothing original or new to say.

I do wish if you or someone you love gets sick the doctor cannot access the info he needs because of some idiot like you.

I do not wish you death but instead pain, pain like your causing those that come here looking for help instead of what you post.

For the other comments you're sort of missing the point.

You're a troll and nothing else.

Wagonburner, you too missed the point, and btw there are doctors that do research on issues via the internet.

Thing is even with opposing viewpoints they are trying to "fix" an issue /help another doctor... unlike bNONG the troll.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1714
https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/board-profile.pl?action=register
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us