Samsung DLP Shuts itself OFF, 14 months old

Username: Famatta127

Post Number: 1
OK..I tried to search the posts but I'll admit Im too lazy to keep trying..My Samsung DLP 5063 has started randomly shutting itself off after a few hours of use..it did it 4 times tonite..its 14 months old..lucky me I have a 4 yr. warranty..any help out there would be appreciated.

DLP Guy
Unregistered guest
It's one of the two fans most likely.
A heat senser is triggering a shutdown and protecting components.

Repetition
Unregistered guest
What he said, call for service. You paid for it so use it.

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 373
The help here is AMAZING!!!

The most read words on this forum......

" sure glad I spent another 25% for an Extended Warranty" LOL

Now the real fun starts with the tech who may or not know what is wrong even though there are only 4 or 5 components.

The issues never cease and always the same among many.....Yeah DLP rules alright.

Bronze Member
Username: Dlp4me

Post Number: 25
All sets have some glitches.
No need to single out DLP.
You name a brand and I'll show you a thread!

Silver Member

Post Number: 389
Not as many as DLP....

Hmmm

1. Bulb life
2. VG latency
3. Eyestrain
4. audio sync
5. shut off issues
6. "mandatory" EW purchases
7. Cable card
8. Looks best on only ONE input source. STV looks like claymation.
9.cost of ownership (bulb costs)

There is a few of the issues more then a few people have voiced on these forums.

Now show me the same number of issues reported on CRTs or even Plasma TVs. With all the burn in and convergance issue claims you DLP fan boys make regarding CRT technology there certainly are a lack of those issues in Plasma and CRT threads....go figure.

So show me......I'll wait.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
Lamp life...fine!
VG lag...not lately...who cares!
Eyestrain...I saw one post of late. Isolated!
audio sync...old Samsung model P5063
Shut off...what brand doesn't?
Mandatory warrantys...personal choice!
CableCard...don't like'em! Don't use'em! Not just DLP!
Looks best with any good signal source, period!
I don't know what "claymation" is, unless it's cartoon like.
Not my DLP! Someone was playing with the settings.

Lots of issues with CRT's here.
You're not looking.

Maybe not so much Plasma, but the half life for the price is ominous.

Silver Member

Post Number: 402
HAlf life for Plasma? You're kidding right?

The cheap ones are rated at 20,000 hours.......now lets do the math, That would be 6.5 years of 24 hour TV watching!

Thats bad? Soomeone has been buying some real BS> I'll bet you think they can be refilled too.

Now if it gets HALF of the rating thats still 7 years of 12 hour a day TV watching. You have to be nuts if you think thats "ominous".

Now the new and better ones are rated at over 40,000 hours...Well we don't need to do the math again do we? You get the point.

I had a space issue in my bedroom and bought a cheap small Plasma despite my issues with FP Tvs. I only use it a few hours a week as a TV and a bit of computer and internet use. I DID the research and flet that was the best of all worlds for my use and future issues. Burn in is not an issue for me. Only a scare tactic DLP salespeople use to sway those away into the more profitable product.

Fear is used to sell most questionble products in any business. Study that one on your own. Watch commercials. All about fear. Don't buy plasma its will be half (theoretical rhetoric) as bright someday (about 10 years from now normal TV watching) It has burn in. Yeah so does CRT yet I have seen very very few threads over the past ten years with that as being an "issue".

The only reason technically I would not tell a friend to buy a Plasma is becasue SED is right around the corner. If I HAD to have a FP right now becasue of space I would (and did) buy a Plasma) and even a real LCD might fit the bill.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
The present life of SED isn't adequate for release to the public. It's still being developed.

Five year old Plasma displays are already starting to fade.
You stated 20,000 hours before the big fade and for DLP owners that's only 2.5 lamps. No fade! A like new display with each lamp, not a display that's destined to be discarded. I had this argument with an LCD guy that thought his display would last ten years. It won't! It can't! Chemicals alter with light exposure and time to a state that is not recoverable. The display will be trash, period. None of those will fit the long term bill.

With DLP it's all done with light and mirrors. Nothing chemical is going to alter or fade like phospher, plasma, or liquid crystal.
The refresh rate is instant.
The color is constant.
The clarity is perminant.
This can go on decade after decade!
How nice is that?

Silver Member

Post Number: 408
In theory it sounds great. Unfortunately it appears too many are not getting into the 2nd and 3rd year without issues and expense.

With regard to 20,000 hours.....12.5 years of 12 hour a day TV watching is enough for any set. who even does that? I would say 6 hours at 20+ years is a more realistic numnber for the CHEAPEST Plasma to go to hald bright. Thats not unreasonable and may even be better then CRT if that proves true. The earlier Plasma TVs are junk and even when new do not look as good as even a RPHDTV. I laugh at those people who bought them. But they have the cash to burn. Good for them. They paid for the R&D so I could buy a much better one for less then 1/4 the cost only a few short years later.

I know you believe you will still have your current TV in 15 years and just keep replacing lamps. But $2000 worth of lamps in that period just does not seem to be worth it and the likelyhood of color engine failure as well..another $600-$800.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
Again, that's false speculation.

You say, "it appears too many..."
This forum is your only quoted source.
You also grouped brands together as if all of them were problematic. That's not being honestly objective. That's not the whole market universe by a long shot, either. I told you how mine is doing. Many like me out there too.

Yea, those first Plasma buyers were bit.

I'm told by very reliable sources that lamps will fall to the $50 range soon. BB, CC, Fryes and others will carry them. I have a spare right now that I picked up on eBay for $95 from a guy in NY.

Silver Member

Post Number: 410
YEs many like you. If not there would be a groundswell of market forces against the technology. BUT...In my opinion ..relative to all the other group interest user forums (even wireless) featuring various hardware "toys" I have not read the number of issues as in the RPTV threads anywhere.

There many not be enough to cause the demise of the technology yet. But there are still IN MY OPINION way too many of the same issues and varied at that. The better forum AVS is a better example of this.

Too many for me and I suspect for some others who will seek out these froums for information to make a decesion. Many will buy anyway. Some will not.

I chose Plasma. Taking a mean time manufacturer stated longevity of 50,000 hours of usage, watching times average 5 hours per day equal over 27 years of usage. No bulbs no overpriced stands. No extra room needed.

Those lamps may get cheaper...but will they get better? Or will you have to replace them more often? DO you have to take the set off the stand to replace them..Do you need tools?

In the end id it worth the trouble. For some yes. For me no. Not even if they were free. I don't want to turn the TV on to watch a movie or bein the middle of one and have to pull the TV down and change even a free lamp. I suspect I am not the only one.

Unregistered guest
I experienced the same problem with my Samsung 50 inch DLP. Ultimately I had to replace the Light Engine. Apparently a bad connection between the engine and the lamp caused the lamp to turn itself off, in essence re-boot. There is no way to fix this without having to replace the entire engine. You are very fortunate to have the warranty, I didn't.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us