RCA TV problems

Thread Last Poster Posts Last Post
Archive through February 06, 2006rumreich100

Unregistered guest
have 36'' rca consol...pur late 2000. sound problem only on one channel #57 spike tv...sound goes to a buzz after 5-7 min. called rca said i have a SAP problem and they are working on it....problem just started approx 1 mo. ago...tried unpluging it to reset the set but it does not help...Have went thru all the Audio sets and problem keeps occuring again. any one have any ideas?...RCA said it was not the set!...

Unregistered guest
have a Rca t.v and all of the sudden while I was watching it, it went onto some kind of lock, and I could not turn the channel or do anyhting, so I Turned off the t.v and now it wont come back on. I also tried unplugging it, but still the t.v will not come back on and it is only a year old the televison, somebody please help!

Bummedaboutrca
Unregistered guest
Spike TV is definitely the culprit. I just turned on Spike to see if McGyver was on, volume went out after a few mins. Came to see if there were any new listings while it was unplugged and there was a specific posting for this!Unplugged and tested it. No more Spike TV on the RCA.

Thanks!!!

Anonymous

Have a RCA TV. Sound went out last night. Only get static. Picture is fine.

Anonymous

Have a RCA TV. Sound went out last night. Only get static. Picture is fine.

Unregistered guest
MY 66CM WIDESCREEN RCA IS LOCKED ON SET UP SCREEN (ENGLISH/FRENCH/SPANISH ETC). iT NEEDS FOR ME TO PRESS ARROWS OR OK FROM THE REMOTE. BUT MY REMOTE IS BROKEN AND i CANT SEEM TO LOCATE A REPLACEMENT.THERE IS NO MENU CONTROLS ON THE TV, IT IS 3 YRS OLD. A UNIVERSAL REMOTE SEEMS USELESS. PLEASE HELP

DANIEL23
Unregistered guest
I HAVE A 50 SOMETHING INCH RCA REAR PROJECTION SCREEN TV AND I HAVE DIAGONAL LINES THAT SCROLL ACROSS THE SCREEN EVEN WHEN I PLAY A DVD THROUGH THE VIDEO JACK. ANY SUGGESTIONS??

Unregistered guest
I have an RCA Colortrak 2000 TV model G31163BT. When the set is first turned on the picture is good. After a couple of minutes the picture turns negative, but if the PIP is turned on the picture returns to normal. This sounds like a PIP problem. Is the PIP circuitry on an easy to replace sub-card like the old Mitsubishi's? Is this worth repairing?

Unregistered guest
I have a 52" rca rear projection tv and i have diagonal lines that scroll across the screen even when i play a dvd through the video jack? please help.

Anonymous

I have a 32in RCA tv about 5 years old picture was fine. When I power it on it powers on for a couple of minutes, then turns off and then on and then off and on and off and on - eventually after about 3 or 4 times powers off and stays off. It was working fine picture perfect sound perfect. anyone no what it could be?

Anonymous

I have a 32in RCA tv about 5 years old picture was fine. When I power it on it powers on for a couple of minutes, then turns off and then on and then off and on and off and on - eventually after about 3 or 4 times powers off and stays off. It was working fine picture perfect sound perfect. anyone no what it could be?

Fifi
Unregistered guest
TO ALL...
I said it oncne and I'll say it again. Don't buy a RCA tv! They are crappy and if your tv is old buy a new one {not RCA}. If it still is under warranty get it fixed. If not like what happened to me I pitty you and am sorry you bought a crappy t.v like me. Will never make that mistake again!
I know this is not a solution really but it is the truth and I hope you follow my advice and don't buy from RCA or Wal-Mart for that matter.

Unregistered guest
I fix TVs for a living - all modern sets are junk. The RCA CTC 203 and 197s are no better or worse than anyone elses. I only glanced at this board for a moment and do have a tip for the gent who has the RCA with the intermittent picture. A coupling coil connecting to the horizontal output transistor has a bad solder joint. A very easy fix.

Grant Hollingsworth
Unregistered guest
Bob, are you talking to me? If, so, where is this solder joint located? Even I can fix a solder joint!

Grant Hollingsworth
Unregistered guest
Bob, are you talking to me? If, so, where is this solder joint located? Even I can fix a solder joint!

SMAK
Unregistered guest
RCA problems just do not end! Beginning of the year, there were tons of people, including myself, who had SAP problems, but that was somewhat corrected (by not watching SpikeTV and pulling the plug and plugging it back in). Just got home, turned on the TV, and it kept powering off and on like all the previous mentioned problems. Now, I have no picture and only sound. RCA SUCKS!!! I give up trying to find fixes with my RCA TV and am buying myself a new TV first thing tomorrow morning...NOT RCA! Never buying RCA again. As you can tell...I'm a very disgruntled RCA TV owner.

SMAK
Unregistered guest
RCA problems just do not end! Beginning of the year, there were tons of people, including myself, who had SAP problems, but that was somewhat corrected (by not watching SpikeTV and pulling the plug and plugging it back in). Just got home, turned on the TV, and it kept powering off and on like all the previous mentioned problems. Now, I have no picture and only sound. RCA SUCKS!!! I give up trying to find fixes with my RCA TV and am buying myself a new TV first thing tomorrow morning...NOT RCA! Never buying RCA again. As you can tell...I'm a very disgruntled RCA TV owner.

Unregistered guest
I have a RCA console tv, model GKR793TR. Channels 1-13 work fine but after about 5 minutes all channels above that turn to snow. Sometimes tapping the back of the set brings the channels back.
Any ideas?

jaimeh
Unregistered guest
ive got an rca 27 inch with guide plus,and the remote will not turn channels it is a universal remote and when you hit the # 1 it turns to channel #4 volume down is power off it does this on two different remotes can u help me with this?

Anonymous

What an interesting site. People post problems and receive little advice in return. The only thing I've learned here is that (I was wrong, it's a 1986 RCA ColorTrak...not '87) this freebee I got used is lucky to have lived for 20 years. It's still here...I keep it unplugged and only plug it in when I want to watch a movie. I then unplug a similar aged Panasonic whose picture has gotten bigger than the screen. The bottom of the picture is cut off and people either have cut off heads or foreheads like something out of Alien Nation. Full figures have very short legs, long bodies and pointed heads...but the colour is good and it stays on whatever channel I want to be viewing...unlike the RCA. Is there a Panasonic place in this ecoustics forum?

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 742
"What an interesting site. People post problems and receive little advice in return."

There have been other similar threads on this forum. I know people are looking for a free magic fix for their TVs, but sorry to say it is just not that easy. Twenty, fifteen, and even ten years is pretty good service life for a TV---especially if it's an RCA.

If anybody on this thread wants to hang on to a TV that was never better than second-rate the day it was made then my advice is

Call a service tech and get it fixed.

Upload

Unregistered guest
i just brought a new 52inch rca last friday. It was working good then i moved it across the room to the other side. i was watching the tv still then i unplugged it so i wont run over the cord but when i plugged it back in. it wont turn on!! Please anyone help me. I would take it back but it was the last one they had.

felicia
Unregistered guest
Hi i just got a 7year old projection big screen tv (not sure of the model number?) and the picture is fine but no sound. They said it just started going off and on then on sound on certian channels and now no sound. what could it be and what should i do? Thanks

Unregistered guest
I have a used 2002 RCA Hometheater tv. We watched it one night, shut it off, had a thunder storm that night and the sound hasn't worked since.
Could anyone help me with this? I have unplugged it and still nothing.

Username: Booker5000

Post Number: 1
i have an rca 36 inch tv ,5yrs old. just started
turning on by itself and channel surfs. i cannot
put it on a channel to stay. continual surfing.
any ideas?

Username: Dfssunshyn

I have a 32"RCA tv that is only 5 months old and it is is turning itself on and off and running a search of channels by itself. I had it in a repair shop and they said they went in and set the eprompt back to 0. (whatever that means). I got the tv back 2 days ago and it is doing the same thing again..does anyone know what may be wrong with this tv. Sounds like I have the same problem as, al white.

Username: Darwinfish

Self-Channel-Surfing RCA TV's.

One friend of mine suggested putting black electrical tape over the electronic eye for the remote. Another friend said that an infra-red signal could get through the tape. That I should remove every remote, whether it has anything to do with the TV or not...Put them in a sturdy wooden drawer far away from the TV because that could cause a problem.

I tried unplugging my set and it only helps for awhile but that can help in some cases.

I would still like to know if digital cable boxes can cause old analog sets to malfunction?

I have learned one thing in this site...Don't buy RCA TV's. My old beast was given to me for free.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 823
As a last resort....some remote sensors are sensitive to nearby fluoresent lights. If there are any on (including "black lights" you old hippies), turn them off.

Post Number: 2
Oh my...John S....You're the same guy who flamed me even though I always said my 1986 RCA (27" ColorTrak Stereo Monitor) TV was a freebee...The set cost me nothing and owes me nothing and lived for 20 years...And still lives to play a movie or something before it channel surfs itself into oblivion.

And yes...I'm an old hippie and do have a flourescent desk lamp near the old RCA-TV. (I think I still have a black light bulb I haven't used in a long time.) Thanks for that suggestion. There's no way I'd invest a lot of money to fix the set. It came to me in a filthy state from a smoker. Could some tuner spray and/or anti-static spray help?

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 825
CM, sometimes my sarcasm/frustration get the best of me. The next day I did regret that post. But sometimes I wonder if people can read. If the majority of posters would've taken the time to read this thread, it should be obvious that there isn't a cadre of experienced TV technicians on duty 'round the clock doling out free fix-it advice.

That said, please believe that I'm not one of those havoc wreakers who delight on putting down honest posters on forums such as this. To that end, please accept my apology.

It seems to me your friend's suggestion of putting electrical tape over the infrared sensor on the TV may be on the right track, and no the infrared signal won't go through it. Something is changing the channels, whether because of an internal malfunction, or because of an unintended external signal. I have never heard of dugital cable boxes causing this problem. And no, I don't think any sort of "anti-static spray" will help. In any case, good luck.

Upload

Username: Annonomousii

Washington

Sound went out on RCA 32" after 7 years. I unplugged and plugged back in, and it's back to normal. Thanks to "ANNONOMOUS". Glad I decided to check online before buying a new tv. Thanks again!

Post Number: 3
To John S.

Apology accepted.

I bought more tuner spray cleaner and anti-static stuff. Other electronic equipment here could benefit even if it doesn't help the RCA TV. If it does provide a quick fix or even prolong the time it takes for the set to channel-surf, I'll post it. On the old beasts behalf I must say that sound and picture are fine. No problem with SAP and I do watch CSI reruns on Spike. The sound and/or picture don't disappear and it never has turned itself off or refused to turn on. It just channel surfs on its own when it feels like it.

Precisely the Darwinfish I mean in my "User Name".

Username: Xforgivemex

I have a 25 inch RCA. I've had it for about 5 years or more and worked fine. The person I got it from had used some type of remote I think for Digital Cable or Satalite. However, the remote no longer works and is gone. I never got a new remote since I never needed one. I only use the tv to watch DVDs and play games. But someone my moms old remote from her RCA got in my room. I picked it up hitting the Cab/Sat, TV or VCR/DVD buttons and it turned my TV on, and somehow changed my channel from 3 to 2. None of the other buttons will work on the remote (which is RCA). I can't even get the menu up by clicking the menu button on the tv itself. It's like the tv is locked. Is there a way I can fix this to change the channel? I tried looking up codes for the remote but had no luck.

Username: Sue_p

Bradley, IL USA

36' RCA. I finally quit watching Spike TV and the volume problem stopped. Now the Guide+ ceased to work. All channels have "No Listing" and it indicates that I need to turn off for the next update at 7am, 10:05am, etc.
I've reset it, changed the zip code, had the tv off for more than 12 hours.

Any Ideas?

Username: Lynnitah

I have a RCA 27" combo tv model B27TF680 that I received as a gift. I have never gotten anything but a blue screen if the tv wasn't connected to cable. I received a couple of local stations when connected to an antenna. The ant/cab connect piece has broken off. I now cannot watch tv. I can use the tv for videos games, dvds and vhs tapes. Can this be fixed or would it be cheaper to buy another 27" combo tv?

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 832
Lynnita,
Other than having the ant/cab connection repaired, the next best alternative is to get cable with a cable box. You could then use the cable box's video/audio line outputs to feed your TV's video/audio line inputs in the back of the TV.

Username: Adaubon

I just got a RCA Colortrak 2000 TV from my dad and want to know if I should invest in getting it fixed or throw it out. The color is very pale and it does not respond to the button adjustments

Username: Madquack

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania United States

I have a 22 year old RCA colortrak tv, model number GKR791TR that was working fine until yesterday. There are green dots on the right side of the screen, with the numbers on the bottom of the screen bouncing around. Otherwise the screen is black. There is still sound but no picture.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 846
martin, given this loyal member of the household's performance, and the fact that RCA's organ doner program has long expired on this model, a proper send-off is in order here. After cremation, you should spread the ashes over the Allegheny/Monongahela confluence.

It's time to adopt a new member of the family.

Post Number: 5
Dear Andrew...I'm no expert on as recent as 2000 ColorTraks...But my channel-surfing 1986 ColorTrak, when I got it as a freebee in 1994, did benefit from squirting some tuner spray (i.e. Air Duster or Dust Remover...both available at politically incorrect WalMart) and such at the control buttons...I mean the buttons that are in the front of the set itself behind a drop-down panel.
Dear Martin...You and I have to join a club for RCA TV's that lasted 20 to 22 years. Mine's not dead yet...All it does is that self-induced channel surfing. And I've been given another option to solve that problem. Run the audio/video input/output wires from the digital cable box to the VCR...from VCR to TV...Not have the TV hooked directly to cable...so that the TV really is nothing but a monitor.
Unless someone has the money to buy a new TV, which I don't, I can't tell someone to junk something. But if you decide to junk something, look for a "freecycle yahoo group" in your area. Someone might grab up your old junk and keep it out of the landfills. Just don't buy a new RCA.
BIGGEST JOKE: Of the three TV's I have the one that's still working fine (touch wood) is a 1983 Quasar 19" that has UHF/VHF dials so it needs a cable box. The 13" Panasonic (also vintage 1986) that is subbing for the RCA has a serious vertical size problem.
And remember...If you want or need to dump your old RCA...http://www.freecycle@yahoogroups.com

Username: Nana

I have a 2002 RCA hometheater tv. The sound doesn't work right. I have to put the volume up all the way just to hear a little noise but it is very broken up and has a lot of static. Can anyone please HELP me?

Post Number: 6
Just for the halibut...I sprayed the old beast (1986 ColorTrak) with Air Duster and Dust Remover (front and back and down through the back vents)...plugged it in and hooked it up to cable...Had to re-adjust colour and contrast, etc...Nine hours and counting...No channel-surfing. I won't be shocked if it does channel-surf again, but yet another advice giver said it might be the dry, static-ridden winter air...Ofcourse, I'm the only one here with a self-channel-surfing RCA. Touch wood and cross fingers...I've never had any of the problems mostly posted here.

Username: Keith302006

I have a 52" RCA projection TV CTC 211a the picture went dim after a 1 year old kid pushed some randon buttons on the front of the tv.
Im a Tv technician of 12 years.
I just don't have that much experence with the newer sets. I worked on alot of the late 80's to mid 90's sets.
Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Keith Mitchell...

Username: Tneal

Pine Bluff, AR US

I have a 13" RCA purple tv. I cannot reset the Parent control lock, because i don't have the manual. Can anyone please help me.

Post Number: 7
Self-Channel-Surfing 1986 25" RCA ColorTrak
...Is still not channel-surfing on its own since I sprayed it with Air-Duster stuff almost two weeks ago. Techie friends' guess was that a glob of dust was causing a short. The colour, tint, brightness and contrast now have a hair-trigger touch required to get them to work but I'm not arguing. The set was not and is not worth paying someone to repair it. If I get a few more weeks or months out of it...GREAT! But I always had the oddball RCA TV here...
Tiffany...what's a purple TV? Sometimes you can find an owners manual via the company's website.
Keith...my friends who suggested that static was the culprit that caused my TV to self-channel-surf have or had a projection TV. If they have any ideas I'll let you know. Otherwise the obvious...keep children away from your electronics. I was taught at an early age..."Do not touch! Mommy's and Daddy's!"

Post Number: 8
Apologies to my old RCA...It's an August 1987 not 86. Model FPR725ER. I never had a manual for it and RCA.com doesn't seem to have one for it either. But it seems as though, if you have a model number for something newer, RCA might be able to provide a manual for the TV and the remote.

Username: Nath_sh

I have a 27 inch RCA tv (ColorTrak Plus, Model# F27674BC). I have connected a dvd player to the tv. I have selected Channel 92 and enabled VCR1 on channel 92.

The remote is in bad shape. How can I scan to a proper "Input" without remote and watch DVDs?

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 872
SN,
You might be able to get to channel 92 by scanning down on the TV's channel selecter past chan 2 down to chan 92.

If that doesn't work check this out:

http://www.rca.com/product/viewdetail/0,2588,PI45077-CI126,00.html?

Username: Foxfire212

I have an RCA Model Number F35673MB. I've been trying to dig up schematics and fix it myself. The crazy thing about it is that it won't come on at all when you try to turn it on, but every once in awhile, it'll turn on by itself without anyone touching it.

I figured something burned out, or maybe a piece is loose.

Any suggestions?

Username: Tantric

Brisbane, QLD Australia

I need Guidance about my RCA ColorTrak Plus Model: F35673MB, VOlts 120 and MZ 60 and watts 140, I shiped the RCA 50 Inch TV which I had Bough tin 1998 for 5 Thousand USD, I would like Know if some one can Guide me,
Question (1) is the RCA compatible for Australia NTSC and PAL compatible,
Q 2) how can i do the Pwer conversion from 110 Volts to 240 Volts, Shall I Buy a converter to convert which will Cost me USD 300 and if I do take all the Pain the RCA need to be Compatible will the Australia Zone,
My question will be the RCA is PAL and NTSC compatible as the RCA is Manufactired in Canada
please e-mail, Audmirer@yahoo.com, 61-412845846, Benjamin

Bradley, IL USA

Discovery seems to have the same problem as SPIKE TV. The sound has gone out twice today, never had SPIKE on. Posting;
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 01:12 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This problem is caused by a closed-captioning encoder problem at SPIKE TV. The encoder generates illegal codes, producing errors that cause a buffer overflow in RCA, GE and other brands of TVs. In RCA products, this causes the TV to go into SAP audio mode. You can clear the problem by unplugging the TV for a few seconds, then plugging it back in. SPIKE TV has reportedly been contacted and asked to update the software for their captioning encoder to solve the problem.

Username: Tvtroubles

I have a 52" RCA rear projection tv, about 6 months old. My dog knocked over some water on to the front of the speakers. I took the tv apart and dried everthing before i tried turning it on. The tv trys to turn on, green light comes on the power button and a sound like it's turning on, but it doesn't. It will try to turn on 2 more times before it stops. Does this sound like the power board? or is it probably something more serious. Thanks!

Username: Neotreo

Pennsylvania United States

I have just recieved a 27" RCA Colortrak tv from a friend. He never used it, but didnt have the remote. We bought a universal remote for it. We were trying to watch a DVD, but it would not pick up the channel. The input button on the remote is only to change where the function buttons work. Is there a way that we can make the tv pick up the input?

Username: Tom130

I have a 36" RCA Model F36450. When pluged in will only chirp at a high pitch until it is unpluged. Any suggestions would be of great help.
Thanks

Post Number: 9
Dear Seth:
I have a remote for my old RCA ColorTrak Model FPR725ER. I've never been able to make the remote do more than run the TV because I have no manual for it and manuals for the old set aren't available. However, the manuals and remotes for cable, VCR and laser disc and should I ever get a DVD player can make the TV respond. I mostly use the digital cable and VCR remotes for the TV. I can live without the remote for my TV if someone here with more knowledge than I thinks my remote "Digital Command Center" would help you out. I'm no techie but I don't understand why the remote from the DVD can't train the TV to pick up the channel to play DVDs. My TV responds to remote controls from Scientific Atlantic digital and analog cable and a Panasonic VCR. The only reason I ever use the the remote that came with the used TV is to turn it on or change volume if it's the remote of many that's closest. I know it's a stupid suggestion but if your TV has channel up and down buttons on the TV itself you might be able to manually switch it to whatever channel (a la Line 1, Line 2..or if you have satellite, channel 90 or 92...that's the way I know one old RCA works). It also might be that you have more than one thing hooked up to the TV (like VCR and DVD) so maybe the VCR has to be on a specific channel for the DVD to work. My old RCA only allows for one video line in...either antenna or cable. The configuration is the cable goes to the digital cable box, from there to the VCR and from there to the TV. If I want to watch laser disks I have to move the cable that goes from the VCR to the TV to the laser disk player.

***And, by the way, though no one said it would work, my old RCA has not resumed "Self Channel Surfing" since I sprayed it with dust remover and anti-static spray. Two months and counting for a TV that was declared not worth fixing.

Username: Danny5227

i have a gjr695hr model rca television that was manufactured in '84 and the picture bleeds blue and when the screen is white it goes erratic, ive tried the color and the tint but nothing seems to work. could it be the tube or can that be fixed? any other solutions accepted. thanks guys!

Username: Larah

Opposed to you all I hate the Guide Plus deal. I just want my TV to turn on without displaying the stupid TV guide every time when the TV starts. I have another guide through our cable company which is much easier.
How do I turn this Guide plus thing off??? I can't figure it out if my life depended on it.......

Post Number: 10
Dear Daniel...Non-techie here. I don't know about your '84 TV...but some have controls on the back of the set to adjust colours, focus, brightness, etc...My '87 RCA has 'em. If you can't get someone to watch the picture as you play with the screws on the back of the set (if you have them) try to find a large mirror to point at the screen so you can watch what you're doing.

PS...My set started self-channel-surfing again. I sprayed it again and it stopped again.

Username: Nirav82

I have RCA F19440 tv. Recently my tv was unable to display the broadcast channels. It was working fine until yesterday. In to order to receive broadcast signal I had to connect my antenna to my vcr, and then connect another cable to the tv. And then only in TV/Video mode with my vcr on was I able to watch tv.

Why isn't my TV picking up the channels? How can I fix this?

Bradley, IL USA

Larah,
To turn off the Auto Guide plus, on your remote, press Menu,7- GuidePlus+ Menu, 3 GUIDEPlus+ Auto Display, 2- OFF, then press 0(zero) to exit all the menus.

Username: Nirav82

I have already turned off that feature awhile ago. But still the channel won't show up, and it just happened randomly.

Username: Wjsmith419

Lawrenceville, GA United States

I have the same problem with two different TV brands. I have a 20-inch Philips and a 32-inch RCA - both TVs developed the same problem within 18 months of purchase. The TVs both began turning off and on arbitrarily. Neither TV is currently in use. Using a 14-year old TV that was replaced by the other two! HELP!

Username: M1ke

hello there, i have a 40in toshiba crt tv which i have owned for a couple of years now. Recently i have noticed that when a bright/white object passes threw a dark/black back ground it seems to leave a trail of light and say for instance a persons illuminated face is being displayed on the screen and then the program cuts to a dark/black image like the night, the persons face will be still visible like a ghost for a couple of seconds, as thoe the pixels are delayed in turning from white to black. It has not always been like this and i belive is getting worse ? the contrast setting is about 60 out of a 100 and the brightness is 59 out of a 100 and has never been changed in all the time i have owned it. It is starting to become highly annoying as fast paced action like blade trinity for instance is ruined with this white colour trail. Any help on this matter would be highly grateful ! Cheers mike

Username: Phoenix_20

I have an RCA 27F520T. I'm trying to connect my dvd player using the red&white audio cables and an S-cable for the video. When I connect it and switch the tv to 'S-video' input, I get sound but NO picture. The same thing happens if I try using the yellos video cable instead of the S-video cable. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Thanks!!

Username: Mike17

35' RCA probably a decade old. I've got green horizontal lines about an inch apart all down my screen. The picture looks fine besides the lines through it. They're there whether I'm watching TV or DVD. I've tried every button with no luck. Anybody ever had this before? Thanks

Username: Lyana

I have a couple of problems with an RCA (I know, another RCA problem *sigh*).

1.)My 1999 RCA 46in. projection TV was dark, so I turned the Black levels down all the way and it helped a little.

2.)When a channel was a little staticky, the TV would turn on and off exactly 3 times, then stay off the third time. Sent it to a shop, who had it for 4 WEEKS and said nothing was wrong with it. Is there a fix for this? I am willing to send it in, but if they say there is nothing wrong I want to be able to say something in return.
3.)Now the TV will not turn on at all. I plug it in and hear clicking in the back of the set until I unplug it, but the set itself will not turn on. I have never used Guide+ and I think I left it off all the time. Please let me know what I can do!! I put so much into it, don't want to waste it.

Username: Bbianca

my big screen RCA HDTV of 3 years quit all of a sudden during world cup. it made a "eeeee-uuuu" sound and went black out. so i turned it off and let it rest. i came back and power on. it whined exactly like before every 10 seconds. too irritating a sound to bear. i know reality has kicked in - it's broken! any of you guys know what's up with this tv? thanks.

Username: Sizzlin_hot

I have a 32' RCA. Hydro One called and told us they would be shutting off the hydro for 3 hours. We didnt think anything of it and just let our Tv and entertainment system stay plugged in. When the Hydro came back on the Tv and satalite wouldnt turn on at all. We unplugged the Unit for about 6 hours still no sign of power. We have to live without a TV! We are SOO AMISH! Please Help

Username: Doldrums

Country M.,
How eerie is this? I have exactly the same RCA model as you, with exactly the same channel-surfing tuner problem that just started last week. What are the odds of finding that combination, never mind help on a forum? Go figure ...

Anyway, a few questions on the dust / anti-static spray. You said you sprayed through the button gaps, and the slats.
- Was the TV off?
- Did you ever try to remove any panels to get better access?
- Was it just duster airspray or actual tuner cleaner?

I also tried the "TV as monitor only" strategy but discovered that it still needed the tuner to access the A/V channels 91 and 92, so that didn't last long.

Your comments are appreciated.

Thanks
MG

Username: Leftfrank

I have a 12 year old RCA 32" set.
Never had any problems at all.
Last week, with no warning, it just won't power up. No response at all when trying to turn on.
I opened the set up last night and pulled the fuse - it doesn't look blown, but I will replace it tonight anyway.

Also, when first plugging in the set (after being unplugged for awhile), there is a low chirping sound, about 1 second intervals, that lasts maybe 10-15 seconds.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Dear MG:
Sorry it took me so long to respond. When I first sprayed the beast it had been disconnected and unplugged for quite a long time. Atleast a month. It's done it twice since, the latest being yesterday morning. I've always unplugged it before I spray it and maybe should add that I vacuum it first.
I'd need help to either get it onto the floor or hold it in place on the sturdy table it sits on in order to access its inerds, so no, I haven't removed the back of the set. If it landed on its face, channel-surfing might be the least of its problems. Though I'm sure it might help to access the insides.
I used three different kinds of sprays. The tuner cleaner and the anti-static spray have long gone off to recycling as empty cans and I don't remember the brand names. All I had left to use yesterday was the vacuum and CleanSafe Dust Remover (Moisture-Free Cleaner). So far so good . The TV was unplugged for maybe 1/2 an hour.
Hope this helps. I'm no techie. Just can't afford a new TV.

CM

CM,

Sorry for the late reply ... been traveling.

I tried your idea and it worked great! Bunch of dust flew around, and then the tuner started to behave normally. Had one oddball ON/OFF power cycling episode for about a minute a few days later, but it's been fine since.

Looking forward to another 20 years of service! <g>

Thanks for the help,
MG

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Glad it worked and
You're welcome.......:-)

CM

Username: Dgallemani

My Husband and I bought a 27' 1914 RCA Colortrack Plus TV today! Model# G27689AT, S/N is 435557198!
... and we noticed the remote control that was given us is a universal type.

The TV played great in the store and sets in its own beautiful cabinet. Darn thing looks brand new! My question is, Can we hook a DVD Player to it without any type of converter box? It has the yellow video plung-in in the back as well as audio in and out. The reason I asked this is because the menu on the tv is only setup for a VCR and we have not been able to get our DVD player to work on it. Also the universal remote does not function properly as far as functions for the tv and we do not have a manual. Any help would be great! Thanks :-)

Bradley, IL USA

Post Number: 4
1914? typo? We have and old 27' RCA about 12 years old and bought a DVD player, wouldn't work, called the guy at Rex, he said try channel 99.. it worked!

I do apologize!! ( My Husband and I bought a 27' 1914 RCA Colortrack Plus TV today! Model# G27689AT, S/N is 435557198!) It is a 1994 RCA TV...we can't even get the channels to move up to 99... I think the remote control is a big factor.

(((I do apologize!! ( My Husband and I bought a 27' 1914 RCA Colortrack Plus TV today! Model# G27689AT, S/N is 435557198!) It is a 1994 RCA TV...we can't even get the channels to move up to 99... I think the remote control is a big factor.)))

We were able to manualy set the tv to channel 99 today per Sue_P and still no DVD :-(
(thanks for the input Sue_P :-) )

I was told by a neighbor that we needed an adapter but with the video and audio cable inputs supplied with the tv why would that be the reason? Thanks all

Gladys

My (older) ColorTrak uses channels 91 and 92 as the two "line" A/V inputs for any device using the RCA plugs (yellow, white, red). The connections on the back of my set are marked Video 1 and 2, and Audio 1 and 2 (I think). You could also try looking for Line 1 or Line 2.

Try those channels on your set with the DVD player ON. Another test (if you suspect the DVD player might not be set-up right) is to use a game console, VCR, or other device with those plugs, that you know works.

You may also need to test those channels' availability by toggling the antenna / cable settings. Since you don't have the manual, write down each setting (so you can restore it), try both settings, and see if either works.

Good luck,
MG

Bronze Member
Username: George12

Post Number: 29
Hello , i got an RCA projection tv(1995) i got a short on it flickers now and then .i found the problem on a board but i cant find the part number on it. i only found on the schematics diagram it said adapter board 6xxx. any idea where i can buy the same part ?? thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I have the same old RCA that MG has but mine runs off a digital cable box so all it needs to know is channel 4. From the digital cable box the connection goes to VCR and from there to TV. I don't have a DVD but I do have a laser disc player. I use a snap on instead of screw in cable connector from VCR to TV so I can disconnect the VCR and use the laser disc player. Since I have house sat for people with RCA TV's I don't know exactly how they worked it but it went beyond just channel 91,92 or 99 when trying to use seperate VCR and DVD. Either the VCR or DVD had to be on and set to some setting for the other to work. In one case the VCR or DVD had to be on just for satellite to work in a house where a roof antenna brought in local channels. One of the things I like about older sets is being able to add/delete channels, play with picture quality etc on the TV itself.

Username: Nofear_satan

i have a 27" RCA 27f522t tv, im trying to hook up component video, and ill i get is a grey picture, i can see what playing but its in grey, the manual says to choose "CMPT" but i cant fugure out how to. Im using magnavox DVD/VHS model #MWD2205 combo.

thanks,
~Kevin

Username: Srikanthramanathan

I have a 29" RCA TV -F29900 RI series bought in 2000. For the last six months, the TV monitor gets off automatically and again gets started after a few minutes. For the last one week, the TV does not turn on at all and the indicator is at red only...can anyone help me in expalining what the problem could be.

Thanks
Srikanth

Username: Jjg197804

HELLO ALL - I have a 6 month old 32 inch RCA SDTV Model # 32V434T. All was working fine until today when I went to turn on the TV and it simply wasn't working. When I hit the power button on the TV the light blinks for about 6 seconds, then I hear sound for about 1 or 2 seconds, no picture ever appears, and then it turns itself off. I am hooked up to comcast digital cable and all that is working fine. When i unplug everything else except the TV, the same thing happens. ANY IDEAS!! jjg197804@yahoo.com

Username: Erikag

WOW, RCA's seem to have a real problem.
I have a 32", about 5 yrs old, using an aerial antenna,that has developed a weird static issue. Sometimes while turing on or even in the middle of a program I lose the picture to random irregular static patterns with crackling sounds. Sometimes turning the TV off/on resolves it; othertimes it will be hours. Is it the antenna or the TV? Help!

Username: Xbrianx

I have a 35 in RCA (model f35722mb)and my wife turned it off and when we tried to turn it on, you hear the static crackle and then it turns right back off. Sometimes it tries to come on again so usually after 2 attempts to power up it shuts off. It's about 10 yrs old but was working great up to this point. I haven't seen any 35 in sdtv's lately so I would like to have it fix if it's a simple solution. Any suggestions?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Damn...I wish I knew how to help all of you...RCA's seem to be real crap not worth fixing unless they are under warrantee or you have a techie friend or, like me, you just argue with them to get them to work. My August 1987 FPR725ER ColorTrak still wants to self-channel surf. I've made it a weekly thing to clean it and hope. Unplugging it for awhile also seems to help and I guess I'm lucky...I have an old RCA that was a freebee that's still working. I've given up hoping for good colour. Faces are anemic-pale or orange and sometimes the colour bounces along with the volume. In 2009 old Tv's will become obsolete in some way I can't fathom. I house-clean for a number of people who have various kinds of RCA Tv's that are still working...none of them new or fancy. The TV I have that's working the best is a 1983 19" Quasar...has dials for UHF and VHF so it needs a cable box. A 1986 15" Panasonic has a vertical size problem. All I can recommend is unplugging the set for awhile and letting it reset itself and keeping it clean. If you read past posts here there was a problem with the Spike-TV channel. I never had that problem. If you can afford an HDTV screw the RCA. Good Luck!!!

Username: John74820

Ada, OK Usa

I have a four year old 35 inch RCA. It started scanning through the stations and will not stop. It did this same thing a couple of years ago. I did not do anything to stop it, it just "healed" itself, but this time it is rolling through the channels and will not stop. Any suggestions?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Read back through posts to Self-Channel-surfing RCAs. Sorry to hear that newer ones are doing it too. At least mine is an oldie (1987) that was given to me for free. Try keeping it/getting it as clean as possible. Vacuum it. Spray it with anti-static and dust-cleaner. If it's in a cold and/or damp room, try using a blow-dryer...gently. Make sure it's plugged into a surge-protector. Without opening up my set I've determined that the short that causes the self-channel-surfing is inside the set behind the power on/off, channel up and down and add programs buttons. And...when you're not using the set...unplug it. It might just reset itself and work for a brief while or longer. If there are buttons on the set don't use them for power, channel and volume. Use the remote.
Other possibilities...take other remotes out of the room. Remotes that should have nothing to do with your set could screw with it. If your set has an "eye" for a remote, cover it with tape...ofcourse then you need to use buttons on your TV if it has any or remote for satellite or cable if you have boxes for either of them.

All together now...."I will never buy another RCA TV...Amen." Freebies allowed.

Good luck!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Now I have a question. Those of us with old, non-high-definition TVs if they are working in 2009. How do we keep them working? I sure as hell can't afford a new plasma or whatever other HD-TV but hope to keep my 1983 19" Quasar (the best of the 3 I have), 1988 15" Panasonic with the vertical size problem and the 1987 25" RCA going for as long as possible. Will CRT TVs in general be out in 2009 and will there be a way to keep them running?

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1176
CM, in 2009 your Quasar will be 26 years old, a full 116 in dog years!
In the unlikely event any of your TVs are still working by then your cable company will take care of providing your TV signal to your old TVs. For those without cable or satellite service, there will be cheap converter boxes available.

They're practically giving away 4X3 standard def CRT TVs these days, and if you won't be brought kicking and screaming into the 21st Century, they'll still be there in 2009.

HD digital flat panels, the prices of which have already started coming down in the last couple years, will be cheaper yet in 2009.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3129
I sure wouldn't plan on CRT TVs still being available in 2009. There are half as many at best than there were this time last year. Japanese companies have quit producing CRT tubes so they don't have to pay the tax imposed on them because of the gasses they emit when scrapped. The CRT selection at this time is pretty pathetic, and 2009 is still a long way off.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1178
There's no question CRT's dominance in the market place will end sometime in the future, but to assert the disappearance of CRTs in three years is ludicrous.

The most conservative guesses have LCD and CRT TV production running roughly equal to each other sometime around 2010, with 92.8 million and 93.3 million of each shipped respectively. Other estimates are more bullish, and place the crossover point sometime in 2008 or 2009. In any event, it's clear that the glory days of the CRT are on the wane.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060606-7001.html

By next year [2007], the tube TV will cede its crown of dominance to LCD sets for the first time, according to the market research firm iSuppli Corp.

Sales of CRTs will fall from an estimated 14.4 million units this year to 10.4 million in 2007, while sales of LCD TVs are predicted to rise from 10.9 million units to 17.8 million.

By 2010, iSuppli predicts CRTs will account for only 2.1 million of the 44 million televisions sold.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,224019,00.html

The figures come from DisplaySearch, a US-based display market research firm, who recorded LCD TV revenues reaching $10.09 billion (£5.84bn, €8.4bn) in the fourth quarter last year, adding up to a hefty 54.3 percent increase from the previous quarter's $6.48 billion (£3.75bn, €5.43bn).

But the trusty old cathode ray tube isn't dead yet, with CRT TV sales rising 9.6 percent from the previous quarter, a modest jump from $6.88 billion in the third quarter to $7.46 billion (£4.32bn, €6.25bn) in the fourth quarter.

http://digital-lifestyles.info/display_page.asp?section=platforms&id=3087

After all, B&W TVs were available for many years after color TVs dominated the market.

Username: Samforu

Hi, I have a RCA TV Model F27628, The date shown on it is Sept 2000. The problem I have is similar to many I have read here.
The TV switches OFF & ON automatically and when in comes ON there is no sound. I tried some of the solutions suggested, like switching it off and then turning it on, it works sometimes but mostly doesn't.
Is there a solution to this?

Username: Jimmyk

I have a 27" RCA TV. Only cable channels 50+ work now. It is not a problem with the cable line (all channels work when this cable line is connected to another TV). I've tried resetting the TV. Any ideas on what the problem is or how to fix it? Thanks.

Username: Wstevens11

I have my friends RCA 20 inch flatscreen TV model 20F511T. When I first turned it on it came on OK beautiful picture then after about 15 mins the sound went off. I checked the timer/sleep mode and I believe all is OK
I turned off. then went back inand now the picture comes and then nothing, then on then nothing..all very quick and will not stop picture, no picture etc etc etc. any idea whats wrong??

Username: Godfreyh

Highland springs, Virginia Usa

hi all
As I turned on my 25" rca television within a few minutes my sound changed into static and after turning to other stations to find out that my SAP has changed from english to spanish I've tried everything to turn it off and after reading up on similar people in here who have the same problem and taking the sugguestion of unplugging the the tv and replugging. I still have the same problem with static on most stations and spanish on a few. can anyone help me solve this problem ? Also tell me how long should I leave the tv unplugged and how can I prevent this from reoccuring ?

Username: Elvataur

hi,I have a RCA 32''.I got it sometime last year i think,anyways about 3 months after i bought it there was a really bad storm,the next day when i turned the tv on there was 2 solid black lines on the left side of the tv and the right side going all the way from the top to the bottom,they are both the same size (2''wide) and they both have a little curve to them,its kinda like widescreen exept its on the sides.This really has been bothering me lately and i was wondering if there was a way to fix it.I heard something about putting in a code in the remote and unlocking a panel to ajust the stuff.So please help me out here i dont know what to do.Ill prolly have to take it back and get it fixed.

Username: Mattaeos

Louisville, Ky

Have a RCA 27" about 4 to 5 years old but had it boxed up for at least 3 years. Got it out but now the picture is too darn dark if someones wearing dark cloths and the scene takes place at night hang it up. Cause I can't see anything but a black blob. Is there any way to adjust the picture more so than the black level adjustment in the menu, cause thats turned all the way up and its still not helping.

Username: Meverett12

I have a 27" RCA only a year and a half old and it turns on and off all by itself. There is no pattern it just does not work. I am only posting to find out if it is a simple fix or trash time.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1338
­
Mike, do you have a fluorescent in the room with the TV?

Username: Meverett12

Not flourescents but UV bulbs. Quite a bit stronger than flourescents too. I have a newborn who was a bit jandice and this took care of it almost instantly. What would they cause?

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1339
­
Certain lights, mostly fluorescent lamps, can cause some infrared controlled devices to do strange things. Once a friend of mine had trouble with his audio receiver turning itself off. Took a while to track it down, but eventually we noticed it didn't happen when his desk lamp in the same room was turned off.

Username: Eyereen

My tv is only about 4 years old. I turned
it on and it turned itself off then on after
about 10 seconds it turned itself back on. It kept doing this until I turned it off with the button on top after about 5 minutes. Is
my tv posessed? thanks

Regarding previous post Posessed tv.
I have a RCA 36 inch. thanks

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1401
­
"Is my tv posessed?"

Time to call Ghost Busters!

Seriously, do you have a florescent light nearby?

Ghostbusters lol......
I do not have florescent lighting in that room. thanks

re: Is my tv posessed?

You know was thinking I have those energy efficient
lightbulbs in that room. They may be florescent.
Could this be the problem. thanks irene

Username: Zoe123

Mitsubishi 60inch diamonds series I think 60701 or 02 bought in 2000, after about 30 minutes on, I get some flickering,horizontal lines bouncing,on screen after about 2 hours of being on problem slowly goes away. any help or suggestion, or guesses to what my problem is or how to fix...

Username: Thejanitor

I just inherited a G27201WK (27" Colortrak TV/Monitor). Back panel says it was manufactured in 1992. Still going strong - no complaints - EXCEPT I have no user manual, and cannot find how to view the devices attached to the Video-In/S-Video input. Reading here, I see that the solution may be one of channels 91,92, or 99. Can anyone out there who has this particular box verify for me? (I won't be able to try it out 'til this evening - at work now...)

Thanks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Dear Pat:

I'm not an expert but the channels you mentioned might be the key. My ColorTrak is older...There might be a chance that you can find an Owners Manual for your set by searching RCA website or doing a web search.

Good Luck!}

Username: Kreiter

Maple Heght , Ohio US

My mother has a RCA ColorTrak 2000 Monitor receiver Model #PKC500PR June 1985. My brother-in-law gave it to her years ago. His boss gave it to him. I think it is about 45". The screen is not what I'm used to. It's ribbed? Kinda soft. I just want to know what I can use to clean the screen. Between the grandkids finger prints and the dog nose smudges and the wax my mother dripped down the front..It really needs to be cleaned. I've used just a dry cloth. A cloth with just water. Not sure what I can use on it to CLEAN it. ANY ideas out there. I always like John S. his answers are straight forward and to the point. He will tell me to get a life and live with it..I mean this in a good way. I have also looked on line for a manual 1985 yea quess where that got me.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1621
­
Kathryn, finding a manual for a TV that old is near impossible, I know. You'd have a better chance finding the original remote control for it.

Anyway, cleaning lenticular (ribbed) screens takes some special care:

"Outside Viewing Screen with Grooves: This is a lenticular screen used exclusively with CRT rear projector displays. The worst possible thing you can do with a screen like this is treat it like a piece of glass by spraying or applying a cleaning fluid and rubbing it all over with a cloth or even a dry cloth. All you are doing is packing the grooves with debri! That is the bottom part or trough of the ridges. The crest or top part of the ridge has an optical coating to block light and just like a screen protector chemical based cleaners and abrasive cloth or material can affect it over time. The best solution is to avoid touching it, body oils, over the life span of the product. To clean use your house hold vacuum cleaner, not a shop vac due to too much suction power, and the soft bristle attachment to follow the grooves up and down while sucking the debri off the screen. If you should get a spill or similar damage then use the same solution as discussed and gently with the cloth and your finger nail rub the grooved area to work the material out. If it has dried then put a paper towel below the spot to catch the excess and spray on the solution to soften up the material before trying to remove it. If you are still having rouble then use a chemical based cleaner such as Windex, 409 or similar products."

http://hdtvmagazine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6547

You could also try something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Philips-SBS4100A01-projection-TV-screen-cleaning-system_W0QQ itemZ160112706306QQihZ006QQcategoryZ15079QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

You can no doubt make some real improvement on that old screen. The most troubling thing is the (candle?) wax. Hopefully there's not much of it because you could make things worse trying to remove that. Any damage you cause on the grooves will be permanent and that damage will be obvious in the picture. Always move up and down with the grooves and never across the grooves. Also make sure you don't let excess liquid drip down into the frame at the bottom as the moisture can wick up between the outside and inside screens. Then you would have a real problem.

BTW, some kind of record here? A 22-year-old RCA RP CRT still working?
Does your mother drive it only to church on Sundays? :-)
­

Maple Heght , Ohio US

John S
Thank you so much for your help! I will try the vacuum when I go over today. When I saw the cleaner you could buy I was wondering if I could use eyeglass cleaner? I would assume (you know what they say about that) it's not as harsh as windex. Just a thought I'm not sure. I will let you know how your pointers worked. Thanks again.

OH John...I don't want to scare you BUT she still has the origianl remote! Big square thing and it still works. I don't know if the date on the back of the TV means anything but it says June 1985. The joke in our family is if she ever sells the house the TV is included. My brother-in-law swears it weighs a ton. He wants nothing to do with moving it again. The thing still works great nice picture. She has a cable box and VCR on it.
My mother does not just drive it to church on Sundays. She watches the "Price is Right" 5 days a week and anytime the Indians or the Cavs are on. So I would say she drives it BOTH Saturday and Sunday. Again Thank You.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1623
­
I cannot imagine why a cleaner designed for multi-coated polycarbonate lenses (glasses cleaner) would damage an RPTV screen. I'm like that guy in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"....I personally Windex is the most important contribution to humanity in the 20th Century. I cured a skin rash with it once.

I remember those big square remotes RCA used to have. Sat on feet that tilted the whole thing like a typewriter keyboard.

Good luck with the screen.
­

Maple Heght , Ohio US

John S
Just wanted to say vacuum cleaner worked great and a little Windex went a long way. The picture is not foggy anymore. I was always afraid something like that would damage the screen. Thanks AGAIN!
Kathryn

Username: Girlslovenascar

What in gods name is the matter with my TV?!? I have a 36" RCA that is about 4 years old. It worked PERFECT. Then, it just SHUT OFF. When I Turn it on, the red light flashes, and it tries to power up, but speaking in car terms, it just doesn't turn over. Then it tries 2 more times without pushing power again. Same thing. Just doesn't power up, but you can hear it trying. What could be wrong?!?

Username: Qee

Hi
i have RCA tv and lost remote then start try to fix volume from Tv but wrongly press two button togather.
volume and power button get disable
picture is fine but no volume
i guess i change programming all button get disabled

how i can restore old programming
please help

Username: Confuzzled

Edgewater, FL USA

I just want to put this out there for others to see. I have an older (2000-2002 or so) RCA Home Theater Premier, I think 54# or something like that. It started channel surfing last night out of nowhere and even an unplug/replug didn't work. I found this forum and read someone elses post about canned air working to resolve the issue. Try it. I used an actual air compressor because I had no canned air left and didthe front button panels, took off the speaker screen (be careful not to pull hard because of wire connections) and blew the air into all cracks, crevices and holes and then did what i could through the little holes in back. Voila! Plugged back in and hooked cable box back up and SUCCESS!

Username: Tixer4

St.catharines, Ontario

k i have a HUGE PROBLEM. when i turn on my RCA h125a it says decrypt error. i cant do anything about it. and i try to plug it into my computer but it will say decrypt will show up before it can connect to the computer. so i think its junk. IF ANYONE CAN HELP Please DO SO. RCA making a junkie mp3 i give you a thumbs down!

Username: Ronaldronald

I have RCA F27674BC TV, manufactured in 1995. I am not getting picture when I connect Laptop (s-video) to TV (RCA component)I tried all permutations. please help me
Thank you

Bronze Member
Username: Imjross

NJ USA

Post Number: 44
ronald
incompatable platforms...
s-video INPUT on TV requured...set too old..

Username: Ronaldronald

Thank you for the reply. Is there any way to make the RCA tv work with the computer. I mean can the s-video slot be added to the tv or can it be connected with the external converter? thank you

ronald,

I assume you have an AV converter cable (s-video to RCA) that you're using. Did you try to find the "line-in" channel on the TV? Does it work with other RCA inputs (games, DVD, etc.)?

Username: Winstonwildlife

I purchased an RCA 32" Flatscreen Mod. #L32WD12 in Sept. 06, it completely died on me in Nov. 07. I called tech. support and was told it was "fried". I called RCA consumer relations and complained. The TV was a little over a month out of warranty and I had paid $1000.00 for it. I expect to get at least 8 or more years of service out of a television, especially at that price. I was told that for $198.00 they would give me a replacement. Well, I couldn't replace it myself for that price, so I agreed.
I was told to expect a pre-paid shipping label within 7 to 10 days, to box up the TV minus accessories and send it back to them.
I called after 14 days to ask where my shipping label was, they apologized and said they would send out another one, I did not receive it either, I was then told they would overnight one to me and still no luck. I called again and was told they were out of shipping labels!!!!!!!
It took them 1 month to get a shipping label to me, I finally received it on Dec. 20, and returned the TV to them on the 21st.
I tracked the FedEx shipping # and saw that they received it on the 28th of Dec. I called on the 9th of Jan. to inquire when I would be receiving my replacement set. I was told that they were having computer problems and could not place my order. I called again on the 12th and was told the same story. I called again yesterday, the 15th and was told that my order had been submitted, but they were out of stock on that particular item.
It has been 2 months since this nightmare began, and as of right now, I see no end to it. I paid them up front, expected to get prompt service and all I am getting is smoke blown up my butt.I have asked for a supervisor on more than one occasion and they are rude, indifferent and could care less. I have asked for a number that I can call to "vent" about the service I have received and they cannot or will not give me one.
I have recently lost my husband, who usually handled these matters. I am still stressed out from that and this problem has just about put me over the edge. I can't even throw my mind into some inane show on the television, because I don't have one!!!!!
If anyone out there knows of someone higher on the food chain I can contact, other than consumer relations, the info would be greatly appreciated.
I will never,ever purchase anything again made by RCA!!!!! and wish I could afford to say "to hell with it" and buy a diferent brand.

Post Number: 6
jackye,

Go to the AARP website and look up the article below:

"Consumer Guide: Fighting Back
By Ron Burley, March & April 2007

Sometimes you need to be a bully to get what you deserve"

It has some excellent advice on alternative ways to get your satisfaction from these large corporations. You can also try your local consumer advocate's office (look online or in the Yellow Pages).

Good luck ...

Username: Dschlieve

Rhinelander, WI USA

I have a RCA 27V520T 3 yrs old only used 2 months at a time. I can't turn it on.When I plugged it in a little red light comes on blinking then it quits then starts chirping softly. If we leave it plugged in the red light stays on, so we tryed the remote it turned off and then started to chirp again.HELP

Username: Andrew_jeans

i have a colortrack 2000 and whenever i hook my laptop up,the screen lights up then goes black........i dont noe wat to do..help please

Username: Cindergirl

Madera, Ca USA

I have RCA TV/DVD combo, and lately, when i put a dvd in, its stops it and reads WRONG REGION HELP!!!

Username: Retro_freak

I have a problem. I recently just bought a rca colortrak f20570wn from a yard sale and it has the original remote. my question is that there is av inputs on the back but I can't find a way to get to the input channel. I already connected my dvd player but I can't find the channel to put it on. please help me!!!

Username: Blaxxx305

New York U.S.A

My RCA TV was constucted in 2003 so you can say it is 5 years old. Last night 7/17/08 10:13 p.m. ESTRN Time I was watching TNA Impact on Spike TV with Optimum as my cable producer. At that percise time the TV completely cut off and hasn't been able to come on since then....HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!}

Username: Wuzzy

I have a RCA DLP 51" i have had about 2 years. I lost picture and heard sparking noises coming from it. I went to take bulb out and it had busted inside. I got this dust and glass pieces everywhere. I started looking on internet for bulb and find that i made a big mistake in buying this tv. I have not found anybody else that had this problum. I will not repair because now im scared of a fire. I am over RCA. Don't buy one.

Username: Bob5

Phoenix, AZ US

WE have a FLR2622T RCA color track 2000 stero monitor,that we have had since 1986,we had it on one night and turned it off and tried to turn it on the next night and it would not turn on.what could be wrong and how can it be fixed?

Username: Wentz17

Warsaw , IN United states

My RCA Dtv turns on when i press power and shows a blue screen but then after a few seconds it shuts off. What could the problem be?

Username: Bbbigscren

Mentor on the lake, Ohio United States

I havea 52 inch projection..When you turn it on it makes a sound like a fan...well u don't hear that anymore,but the lights work...then it will just turn of by itself.Any ideas what it could be,or how I could go about fixing this?In the dark..Please Help!

Username: Rawr222

Last night the sound shut off on our RCA and started to make a static noise on every channel. I put in a DVD and the sound was working for that but not the regular television. Now today you can't even turn up the volume or turn it down, manually or with the controller. I tried the DVD again and there's no sound on that at all, or on any of the channels. Any suggestions?

Bronze Member
Username: 007b

Post Number: 65
If you have an RCA tv that is working after a year, consider yourself a lucky b-a-s-tard. Of course the older models, circa 1960 were built like the proverbial tank.

Username: Blaineprickett

I have an RCA SCENIUM 50" HD50LPW175
:/
I have had this tv for just over 4 years and recently the screen went out when I left the room. Came back and tried to turn it on and it made a noise as if its trying to startup but immediately after the startup noise it makes a strange grinding. The touch screen menu blinks 5 times then stops. (then lights for channel change/volume turn off but the tv power light stays on) then it repeats the process. I don't know much about tvs but I've read enough threads about problems with my exact model that other people are having to where i think its the lamp but i dont want to be another sucker and shell out $400.00 so i've uploaded a video of exactly what my tv is doing on youtube. Please watch the video and let me know what you think. I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm a 22 year old guy that definitely doesn't have the money to buy another tv or lose money fixing this piece... Please help..

Heres the address for my video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QasY8chYo2Y

Username: Dbarney

Can anyone direct me to schematics for an RCA TruFlat tv? The model number is 27F520T. Thanks.

Username: Mansquito14

Me and my room-mate just brought over his tv (an rca) because mine went out so now we are using his. I programed the universal remote to his tv and it works BUT the tv itself has a 4-digit password and he can not remember the code. You can e-mail me if you want or just post a reply on this forum but any assistance would be appreciated. My e-mail is Mansquito14@yahoo.com.

Username: Divinedarkness

I was just given a pass-me-down TV that is an RCA. What year, I don't know- But I am sure it is a bit old. Well, here is my problem- my RCA TV only has Video/Audio inputs and outputs. No place to plug my cable cord so I can't watch any of my cable TV. I heard there might be some kind of converter box that could help me with that.

Does anyone know the name of it?

If you like you can email me at fourmages@hotmail.com with an answer. Thank you.

Post Number: 7
Can't advise on adapting cable coax to RCA plugs. If you have antenna connections (screw-type lugs meant to attach antenna leads) on the set, you can buy an adapter at Radio Shack to connect a coax cable to those antenna leads. Look for the antenna input resistance (ohm) rating, marked near the screw lugs, as that may affect the type of adapter.

MG

Silver Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 392
To Paris,

Cable TV is usually a 50-ohm cable with a F-connector.

There aren't any RF demodulator's that you can readily buy. You can use old VCR as a RF demodulator by connecting the cable TV cable to the RF In on the VCR and connecting Line Out on the VCR to the old TV.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
The "Surfer Girl" self-channel surfing old RCA TV finally gave up...or I gave up on it when it also started turning itself off and on all by itself repeatedly. Unfortunately it's still here waiting for help to get it to recycling since it weighs a ton. I picked up another FREE RCA TV via freecycle knowing it would do something weird eventually. It's a 1994 Model F25251WNFE2. It's version of weirdness is when I turn it on the picture goes through what looks like interference patterns and if I don't mute it, horrendous loud interference sounds. Sometimes the picture just goes to snow with snow hiss sounds. Sometimes it works fine when it warms up. Sometimes it goes back to snow. I can tell that's about to occur when I see bright horizontal lines dancing across the screen. I think there's something loose at the cable hook-up in the back because, if I jiggle it the TV tries to respond. I also think something 's loose because playing the volume through the TV's speakers made it worse. Running the volume through an ampli-tuner to real stereo speakers works better and I don't have to listen to the warm-up loud crackles or snow hiss. Once again...this was a free TV.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2751

quote:

To Paris,

Cable TV is usually a 50-ohm cable with a F-connector.

There aren't any RF demodulator's that you can readily buy. You can use old VCR as a RF demodulator by connecting the cable TV cable to the RF In on the VCR and connecting Line Out on the VCR to the old TV.

Demodulators are hard to find but do exist.

http://www.markertek.com/CATV-Headend-Interface/RF-Demodulators/Net-Media/TUNER. xhtml

Using an old VCR is cheaper and just as effective.

Username: J6m

I need help on shrinking my screen size. I have contacted RCA yet they know nothing I have accessed the hidden menu and can change the vertical size but I can not change the horizontal size. Please help. Oh the tv is a 1998 36"

Username: Pikeman

1998 RCA model f27252GY has no remote and will not turn on from buttons on front, but is getting power, this driving me insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Username: Bug

This seems to be an old site with the same problem/s with RCA Guideplus Gemstar but I don't use my VCR. I have a DVD player/KLH, no coax cable hook up, just video cables. Fall asleep watching a movie, wake up no sound.
I'm not posting to complain. I am hoping somewhere in the distant land of RCA minds, someone can help me.
TV is old, 2002, remote is old. Do I get a new remote or toss this and get a new TV. BTW: I do not have the $ for at the time.
Orrrrr, I can chance getting an honest repair tech to find the problem since I am female and blonde. DUHHHHHH
}

Silver Member

Post Number: 567
So, while you were sleeping the sound went away, never to reappear again?

If you need a new TV, join a Freecyle mailing list in your area. I often see people offering older TVs.

Username: Bug

Ha ha ha. Now that was funny.
Now that you know I am female and blonde... could you tell me what a Freecycle mailing list is???
I live in CA. I really would like to get the sound going and keep this one if possible.
But I'll need a different answer. Called a repair shop and was told I probably had the sound off. Ya, right.
Another duhhhhhh.

Silver Member

Post Number: 568
http://www.freecycle.org

or the Free section in Craigslist for your city

Username: Mscbwalker

I have a Rca 27in i think TruFlat 27F520T 27, about a month or two ago where the tv would come on and show half screen, and we would let it play and it would go to jumping to a full screen, then half and one day my grandkids turned it on andit was playing fine. I went home yesterday from work turn on and i get line in the middle of the screen. i have channel lables i could see those and once i stop scroling though channels it went back to line in the middle. i can get sound. i have had this tv for over ten yrs. great tv , is it worth getting fixed or replace. It is sooooooo heavy when i brought it, it toke three people to bring inth house. the one tv i knew no one would try to steal if any one ever broke in my house. Any suggestions please

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 16173
Welcome to eCoustics connie!

This is a very good TV, I have one in my bedroom!

Usualy the convergence ship blow, the cost is under 15$ for the part, it may also be a simple setting in the service menu!

Give me the width of the line in the center in inch?

the width of the line goes fro 2" jumps to 9" on the bottom of the screen only

the width of the line goes from 2" jumps to 9" on the bottom of the screen only

my television is now showing just the bottom half of the screen. is there any one that can advise me on this tv. Plymouth was helping me. And i appreciate your advise. i can not see the menu except for the exit line so i am not sure what else to do. help anyone with one of these televisions

Username: Sunnygal

I have n RCA L32HD32D tv now not under warranty. Yesterday when I turned it on had a beautiful picture as always then after about 2 minutes the screen went blank and the sound stayed on. I cut it off and turned it back on and it does the same thing every time. I didn't know when I bought it in Oct. of 2010 that it was refurbished and the warranty is for 6 months and it's been 8, my luck. I am trying to figure out if it's cheaper just to eat it and buy a new one. It was 353.00. Any help would be much appreciated.

Username: Michelponting

USA

I have 32"RCA.It is a very good Tv.i can get heavy sound.But It's color is very dark.What can i do.Please tell me.

Username: Tnbowhunter

I have an RCA 52 in. HDTV...it's about 5 yrs. old...I turned it on today and the picture is blurry and everything is like 3d...you can see 3 of everything...there are some red,blue, and green lines across the top of the screen like a rainbow.

Username: Tripping

i have a 20inch rca tv and it shows a piture and then goes blank$ i was wondering if the tube can be changed?

Username: Teknofix

I have a Dead RCA D52W27D upon inspection, I found a blank
connector BP120 on Power Board. and can not locate the Ribbon
Cable to plug it in. What connects to this BP120 Connector Socket
since I can Not find the matching connector elswhere or the Ribbon Cable connects to it, Could it be the cause of No Power ?
Answers will be greatly appreciated...

Username: Arrow_of_el

I have a RCA tv C33682. My tv is hooked up with my video VR546 and a digital cable box. Recently my brother-in-law unplugged the plugs, my vcr was working fine the night, the following morning it stopped working. I do not have the original remote for my tv and vcr, so I am using a universal remote. I do not know what to do again. My video is not corresponding with the tv anymore. Please Help!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 710
I don't understand what you mean by my video is not corresponding with the tv anymore.

Username: Rene01

St Lucia

I have a 40 something inch Purflat RCA t.v and after leaving it on for consecutive days, i turned it off. Upon switching it on, i realize it would come on but within 3 seconds it would go off automatically. This sequence continued since. So one we i got it to come on i just never switch it off intentionally.

Username: Dougwa

I've got a 29"LED RCA, is there any way to adjust the colours, they are O.K. ,but was wondering if I could tweak them a bit. I know you can do something if you get commercial use manual, but I am a home owner.

Username: Stick17

Vero Beach, Florida

I have a 2006 RCA HDTV trueflat never had a problem until I moved to a different room last night ever since says no signal or supported mode?
I've even tried rebooting, unplugging etc. Also the menu button turns the power off so I have noway of adjusting anything including what
appears as different sizes similar to a
"screen relsoution" seen on PC's?

Username: Tvtim

TV plays fine for about 10-20 minutes then shuts off with intermittent "popping" acting as if it's trying to turn on again.

Off button will not shut it off. Must be unplugged. Then in half hour or so when plugged back in will play fine for about 10-20 minutes. Console
tv built in 1987. RCA model GPR 2639P. Serial no. 731626952. Thanks for any help!!!!

Username: Raven1969

Victoria, British Colmbia Canada

Ok I have a 24' RCA TV/dvd mix..no cable, dvd player doesn't work so have an external dvd player.. somehow i pushed a button by mistake and now the tv is on Cable and I can't get it back to the setting for my external dvd player... how do I fix this?? I didnt put in a code for it yet because before I pushed some button or another it was working.. help?

Username: Sturner1979

Have an old RCA ColorTrak plus CRT TV that has
worked fine for many years. All of a sudden I
fall asleep with TV on and woke about 3 hours
later with TV off. Now it will not turn back
on; outlet is good but tv will not turn on
via remote or power button.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Username: Rezo2012

I have an old RCA CRT tv around 36 inches. I have been noticing something odd and it has me worried. I have my XBOX 360 connected to the front RCA ports and when I leave the XBOX idle the screen goes dark. This is a feature of the XBOX. while the screen is in this rest mode, there will be a sudden brightening like a flash and a click accompanying it. My first thought was a slight power surge, but it is plugged into a surge protecting power strip. The flash and Click are as quick as a snap, and now that I have noticed it while the game box is in rest mode, I have begun to notice it while the game is playing as well. Can anyone give me advice, is this tv about to stop working?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us