AKAI PT5492 (Page 3)

Andrew, what you saw when you hit key 1 was what the convergence was like when the TV was first built, pretty bad eh?

Key 2 is what it was like when it first came off the assembly line, the tv's default.

Yes, thank god for key 3!

My tv's not in a corner but I have it raised about 6 inches off the floor(not only because of the air vent right under the TV but to raise it more into eyesight view when sitting down, give it a better appearance as well)also created an air vent on the front of the platform so the air still moves into the room.I built the platform and then carpeted it with black diamond felt from Lowe's, same black felt I have on the walls of the room as well to soak up the reflections and deaden the room, the back of the walls is covered by black drapes.Fabric is good on all four sides of your theater except the back you need drapes to keep the front speakers from reflecting back towards the front of the room.

Robert

Tony F
Andrew I will do that You will not belive how good it came out =)

Tony F
Robert, how high do you have yor set raised?

I thought about doing that, but my couch is set kind of low, and compaired to other similar tv's ive seen the akia sits the highest

As I noted above it's raised approximatly 6 inches off the floor

Robert

Tom Graham
I too am considering purchasing the HD 5498 but have questions on the aspect ratio. Since this TV is 4:3 what can I expect with broadcasts sent in 16:9 ratio? Will I see distorted objects? I talked with a salesman at HH Gregg but came away more confused than when I went in. He recommended buying a wide screen tv. Will I be sorry for getting the 4:3 ratio? Any advise is appreciated.

There will not be any distortion if you allow the image to be displayed in 16:9. It will be like on a regular TV. You will have the dark bar across the top and bottom but, the image is about 50 inches wide. It looks great. Almost all of my DVD's are widescreen versions. The Akai does allow you to set the aspect ratio when playing a wide screen. It basically has two zoom levels. At the second zoom level you get some noticeable distortion, but when you have a screen that is 50 inches straight across, the letterbox is fine.

Tom Graham
Thanks Andrew. Now my next dilema is whether I want to shell out the $15/mo that Comcast wants for the HD cable box. What can I expect from TV broadcasts if I don't get the box? I know that DVD movies will be good. I hear that within a few years all broadcasts will be in HD. Does that mean I will need the box then or is something else going to replace it? If it matters, the majority of my viewing will be from 15' away.

TV broadcast will look "ok" but you will notice artifacts in the picture.Remember you're blowing a compressed picture up about 4 times it's original size so any flaw in the picture will show up "big" time, no "big" pun intended.

You will love the broadcast in HDTV when you see it.It will be worth more to you than 15$ a month.Every year something will replace what you already have.So either get the HD box and enjoy it now, or wait(until 2007), miss out on the best image quality you've ever seen just to wait for an upgraded box when you can already have the programming now.The changeover to all broadcasts going HD won't be until 2007.And the signal won't be changing, so any upgrade in an HD box won't be that much of a difference on getting the signal it's still going to be the same ATSC signal you can get right now.

Robert

Tom
I live way out in the stix of NW Florida. I'm about 50 miles west of Tallahassee, FL, 50 miles NNE of Panama City, FL and 50 miles SSE of Dothan,AL, right in the middle of a triangle 50 miles from any vhf or uhf TV station. Most of these have not even gone to stereo yet, so I don't have much hope on them going to HDTV anytime soon. I think the FCC has mandated 2006 or 2007 as being the timeline that all stations are to be converted. I also do not have access to cable. I use the Dish Network satellite system. Now even though I am 50 miles from TV stations, my reception is quite good. I'm sitting about 10 to 12 feet from my TV and do not see the scan lines much at all for regular TV. When it comes to HD, I'm still not sure if an industry "standard" has been accepted yet. On the Dish Network, they have HBO and Discovery in High Definition. I don't subscribe to either because at this point in time it's not worth the costs (for me)for the two channels. Another thing is that Discovery and HBO are in two different formats. The current Set Top decoders go for starters at around $500. It will be several years before I need one. The Dish Network requires the use of one of their Receivers that decode the hdtv and I still believe you need the set top decoder also. They also require some other "plug in" to get both of the HDTV formats. Don't hold me to that though. I just don't know for sure. In the mean time I have enjoyed the regular TV broadcasts on my Akai. Yesterday I watched the Nascar race out of Atlanta on an NBC station out of Panama City. It was great on the big screen.

NeedHelp
To all the great guys on this site

I am planning to buy a BIG TV. I moved to my new, custom built home and have a big family room to house it. I read all the post on this site and am closing in on AKAI HDTV. To start with, I plan to use it for the following:
1) Watch my collection of DVDs (and I have quite a few of them) using my very ORDINARY 'APEX' 3 DVD changer dvd player
2) Watch cable TV (basic channels; ex. wb, pbs, abc, cnn etc)
3) Watch VHS cassettes

Question 1: Is this a good TV for basic cable channels... will the picture quality be as good or better than a ordinary tube tv?
Question 2: Is this a good tv for watching DVD using a non-progresive scan dvd player?
Question 3: What additional cables do I need to buy to hook up
a) my cable TV that has a coaxial cable coming from the wall
b) my VCR that has only two outputs (i) coaxial (ii) component - Red, White, Yellow
c) my DVD player that has (i) coaxial output, (ii) optical output (iii) s-video output (iv) Red, white, yellow output and (v) Green (Y), Red (Cr) and Blue (Cb) output

What is the best way to hook these (which output to choose? and what cables to buy?).

Also, I plan to buy a good home theater system (w/o dvd?) simultaneously and will hook it up with the tv.

Any help with these questions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

RE: NEEDHELP

Question 1:
No, Will not be better than a tube.
Because of Big size of screen will see more artifacts w/ regular broadcasts, but remember it depends on the quality of the signal u recieve for each channel depending on ur location. Some channels come in great that sitting 9ft away looks as good as a tube tv, but others have alot of artifacts. Sitting at least 12ft will be worth the cost of the TV.

Question 2:
No, Buy a good Progressive scan DVD player. Looks bad on regular DVD. Panasonic brand $169 a good one.

Question 3:
Use coax for Cable, component for VCR, and s-video for regular DVD player and when buy progressive dvd player use composite green-red-blue cables.

Finally, Watching DVD on ur progressive Player w/ surround sound reciever will blow u away.

Remember, the price of this TV is worth the money and will grow w/ technology, but might want to look into a widescreen if all u watch is DVD's

Charles

Akai's website finally has the PTH5498 added.

http://www.akaiusa.com/products/pth5498.htm

One thing i just noticed about the PTH5498 up on their website is that the information is wrong.It's missing key features to the tv such as the HDTV 1080i resolution and HDTV ready compatibility.It just says digital ready which can mislead consumers about the product.Other than that the rest of info is correct.

Also the picture shown is not right, it is that of the 5492 not the 5498.I think they threw this information on the 5498 up in a hurry without thinking of putting the "real" info up on their site.Cheating by using a 54" regular tv instead of a picture of the "real" 54"hdtv model.Notice the panel and remote is not that of the 5498 but the 5492.

This can make it all misleading.

I've emailed them about it and sent them a "real" picture of the 5498 and hope they can possibly correct it.

Robert

Robert
I'm glad I wasn't the only one that noticed that. I emailed them two or three days ago asking about the differences. I didn't tell them that they had the wrong stuff up. I stated that the remote looked different than the one I had and asked if there were any differences. I also invited them to this forum telling them it might be good PR for them to introduce themselves. I mentioned that several of their 5498's had been sold directly because of this forum.

I never got a response.

Charles Jackson
What are the dimensions height & width for this television, I was thinking about getting one also by I have a safari GMC van and I was wondering if it would fit inside it if I took all the seats out.

This is roughly the the TV "IN" the box's dimensions:

L: 30.23
W: 50.96
H: 60.17

The TV itself "OUT" of the box is at:
L: 23.50
W: 46.00
H: 55.00

Cheers,
Robert

Preston Forsberg
has anybody checked out the new panasonic 56 in. widescreen now on sam's website? any thoughts on this?

Charles
RE: Preston

Yes, a great value. Best Buy & Circuit City sell a panasonic 53" not 56" inch widescreen for $1799.

BriS
I just bought the PT 5492 from Sam's and it is spectacular! The picture is crisp and clear and the color is great. Due to layout constrictions of my living room i'm about 7-8 feet from the screen and the picture is still great. I'm using analog cable and a nonprogressive scan DVD player and I can't say how good of a deal i think it is. only $873.76 now since the newer model came out. We'll see but right out of the box i'm happy. :)

I had stumbled across these forums while trying to find some verifyable information on the PTH5498 after seeing it over at Sams Club. We had already been introduced to the world of RPTV way back in 1990 when we purchased a 52 in. RCA. It was a good set, but after two major repairs and it failed again, we decided it was time to move on. The only recognition of AKAI that I held was a reel-to-reel unit I owned 30 yrs ago. I want to express my thanks to Robert and Andrew especially, and anyone else that posted a positive or negative opinion on the PTH5498. Today, we bit the bullet and picked up our new unit and have it partially set-up. Only have a Satellite unit (C-Band), local antenna, and DVD (kinda) leaning against the side until I get longer cables and build a platform to hold the Satellite receiver, VCR, DVD, and surround-sound system. Out of the box, the picture was not as good as I had hoped for, but after adjusting the convergence (basic 9), brightness, color, etc. the picture is extremely beautiful now and we are very pleased. The DVD player we have is an RCA and I don't have a clue as to progressive scan or not, but the picture from it is incredible so have no plans to change it.

I wonder if anyone with this set has taken it to a surround-sound system? We have a Kenwood surround sound system and I did not find a whole lot in the book for setup. Unfortunately, the Kenwood we have does not even have S-Video outs, only RCA plugs for everything (in and out) and only the basic three for audio and video. If I plug the DVD into the Kenwood, I will lose the 480 connection for DVD into the TV. Based on a previous post, it sounds like I want the DVD to go directly into the back of the TV anyway. Can the TV connect only using the OUTPUTS to the Kenwood and provide quality audio?

Robert, thanks for providing the "key" to getting into the Service Mode and the "tip" on saving my settings before entering. I feel really "dangerous" now, lol. I turned off the VML, but to be honest did not notice any difference. I have not messed with the full convergence yet (56) and will wait a bit to see how it looks after a couple of days pass.....may not need to unless you think its just a good idea to check it all out anyway.

Thanks again to all and we hope to enjoy our PTH5498 along with all of you...:-)

I recently asked about the 56' panasonic only because when I went to go buy the PT 5498 they were sold out. The guy at Sam's said he could not say they would be getting any more. The absence of it on the website also scares me. I was wondering if I should hold out on the PT 5498 or wait and see what else they get in.

My advice to anyone looking at this TV, Buy It Now! If you don't someone else will and from what the manager said, once Sam's Club runs out of something, they might not get more of it.

Also to Robert, where did you find out how to get into the menu? If I do buy a different bigscreen I will want to adjust it, but I don't want to pay a buttload for someone else to do it.

Tom
Last Thursday, Robert posted the physical dimensions for the PT 5498. If those are correct, I won't be able to get the TV in its box into my mini van. Does anyone know if it would hurt the TV if I removed it from the box and layed it on its back side (of course with blankets and padding). It should fit into the van this way but just barely.

BriS
Thanks to all the great posts! This TV is great. Anyway, I was concerned about burn-in. I have the PT5492 and i have the contrast set to 49, brightness 50 and sharpness around 40. I watch alot of widescreen DVDs (about 1 a weeknight 2 on the weekends) and they have the blacks bars on top and bottom. With my settings will this cause burn in or am I paranoid? This is my first RPTV, so bear with me. I can't see watching a movie in fullscreen. Also can I hook up a playstation or Xbox to this. There is conflicting reports out there. When i play i usually play for a couple hours at a time. thanks in advance. :)

RE: Wayne

That's great to hear youy love the PTH5498 as much as we do.After it's broke in the picture will get even better.The VML is very noticable in DVD's, what it does is overscan the image to make you think you're getting a better/sharper image but in fact it only blurs around the outlines of faces and text.Turning it off will give you a "true" picture, and one that is not enhanced in such a way it was not supposed to.I'm glad that any information on the system was helpful to you.

I've been a Home Theater enthusiast for 4 years now.I've searched high and low for information regarding all products I've been interested in.I found the info on the convergence menu for the AKAI while searching up it's sister Samsung TV on an HDTV site I listed above in an earlier post:

http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/index.htm

The service menu I found out from the ISF tech who is a friend of mine who came out to calibrate some settings for me I hadn't already touched.I wrote down all he told me, and was very happy to share it with other owners, for I know how hard it was to find info on the 5498.

If you're looking for menu's on other systems I suggest going to the Home Theater Spot(link is below) and look in their forums, they have message forums listed for every name brand.If you're looking for Akai though, remember to look in the Samsung forum.

http://www.hometheaterspot.com/html/index.php

RE: Tom

I don't really think it would hurt the TV at all to take it out of the box and lay it on it's backside with good enough padding.When I got my TV into the house it was taken out of the box and laid down on about every side on blankets until we got it in the right way to fit in the tight corner to get it in my Home Theater room.After it was set back up on it's upright side it's worked fine ever since.If you're still unsure you can ask a rep at Sam's about delivery.I know Sam's has been famous to not do delivery but I was shocked to find out my local Sam's Club will deliver the TV's only on Fridays for 50$.Though this could differ from store to store but it's something to ask them about incase you really don't want it taken out of the box.But I still say it shouldn't hurt it one bit as long as it's padded real good and can't move around in your van.

RE: Bris

As I noted before as long as the Color temp is selcted as "warm", Contrast is below 30%, the brightness below 50%, and the sharpness below 40% you shouldn't worry about burn-in from widescreen movies.What causes burn-in from static images is the hot colors and aggravated video noise.Hot temp in Color comes from the Normal and Cool settings, the warm is the coldest and best color temp setting.Video noise comes from the sharpness and contrast being set way to high which is called "torch mode" which can kill the TV quickly.As long as your settings are below those figures I mentioned you shouldn't have to worry about it.Just switch up programming from a widescreen movie to regular TV broadcasting/cable just "in case".It's best to switch up the programming on it so that the color/phosphorus stays busy on the entire screen as much as possible before and after widescreen play.Just don't get too paranoid about it and you'll be fine.

Gaming on an RPTV?
Well, this can be a dangerous thing.It's not leathel but it's dangerous to an RPTV.My suggestion is not to play them more than 3 hours a day, and definatly switch up to regular progamming for this.Gaming carries more static images than anything else.For instance:The health bars, non animated options on the screen while you play, an image of what weapon you're using, or while playing racing games the speedometer design and car console, and maps, scoreboards from sporting games where numbers don't change often.Gaming should be done causiously on an RPTV because of that, and if you ever have to pause the game, switch to regular cable/broadcasting while it's paused.Pausing of a game is the leathel burn-in mistake, if you must pause switch to tv programming or turn off the tv.As long as you play it safe gaming shouldn't be a problem to the TV but just be cautious with what games you play, and how long you play them.

And as for which one to play on an HDTV-RPTV use the GamCube or X-Box because they offer progressive scan/component outputs while the PS2 only offers S-Video non-progressive.The Gamecube and X-box look stunning on an HDTV while PS2 needs to upgrade to progressive because it's only stunning on a tube.

Hope my reply's were helpful.

Cheers,
Robert

Preston

When I finally decided to get my 5498 I went to the Sam's Club in the town where I work. As my luck usually runs, they were out. The salesperson did not know if anymore would be coming. Luckily I found a Sam's Club 50 miles away that had ten of them in stock. To make a long story short, the 5498's which were also missing from the web page showed back up in the original store I went to and on the web after about three weeks. I would guess that these sets end back up in the store and on the web page. This is the third or fourth time they have disappeared. Based on the experience I have had with my set, yes it will be well worth the wait. In the mean time, check for some other Sam's Clubs within a 50 or 100 mile radius.

Tom

Some cities have people that will contract with you to haul the 5498. Check the yellow pages and check with some of the local moving companies. Also a four hour rental for a U-haul truck is not very expensive.

BriS
I went into the service menu to disable the VML and i didn't see that option under Picture. I have the 5492 and not the 98. Would that make a difference with the menu? Also if anybody knows, what the major difference is between the 5942 and 48? is it the lines of resolution and the HDTV input? Thanks!

RE: Bris

Yes that would make a difference with your model.VML or SVM is only an enhancement on HDTV models.It was a feature for HDTV monitors to try and give a sharper look but what they ended up with was over enhancement that distorted outline of faces, and text, the outlines of objects and etc.

So seeing that your's is not the 5498 but the analog 5492 you don't have to worry about turning that feature off.

The difference in the 5498 to the 5492 is a major difference in resoution and TV all together.The 5492 is an Analog TV and the 5498 is a Digital TV.

The 5492 that you own is an analog receiver, that's capable of receiving any normal VHF and UHF broadcast and input of cable and sat reception.Your resolution is only capable of showing 480 lines(480x640), if even that.It's capable of what all regular tv's can do.It's not capable of progressive dvd players either.

The 5498 is a digital 1080i/480p monitor, capabale of recieving the same as the 5492 but with a digital comb filter, 3 Line Digital Comb Filter, Progressive Scan, Auto Kinetic Bias, Dynamic Black Level Expansion, and capable of 480 resolution with digital reproduction and progressive inputs for progressive dvd players and console game systems.It's also capable of the ATSC input 1080i resolution(HDTV 1080x920).The monitor is also capable of being converted into a HTPC (home theater personal cpu) with the right video card on the cpu because of it's digital monitor output.

So your 5492 is great but the only downside is that by 2007 your tv will be extinct to regular tv and cable/sat broadcasting.Because in 2007 all tv's must be digital and HDTV/ATSC compatible.Because an analog TV cannot receive digital high resolution imaging.

There is definatly no rush at all to get an HDTV right now, what TV you have is great for the next 4 years.But if you want higher quality movies, TV broadcasting, and even gaming, the HDTV is the way.Please note that movies won't be as good on an HDTV unless you have a progressive scan player which takes the 480 lines of interlaced and doubles the scan to almost between 720 and 960 lines of resolution depending on the quality of dvd you are watching.Some of you may have an interlaced dvd player that doens't show many artifacts or banding lines from objects and think that the image quality is great.The fact is you only see 480i and not 480p(720to960)and haven't seen your HDTV perform it's quality of performance until you hook up an good progressive scan dvd player.Then you can say you have seen the best picture your HDTV can perform.

Cheers,
Robert

Martin Van Overbeek
I bought an Akai 27 inch flat screen television about 5 months ago. The store was Sam's Club in Corona, California. The price was $375.00 not including sales tax at 7.75%. Our liberal governor thinks that 7.75% sales tax is not enough. The set is excellent and exceeds our expectations. Well worth the money.
Regards.

Martin Van Overbeek
My earlier message regarding the Akai 27" Flat Screen television did not include a comment that the saleman made at the time of purchase. He said that the remote control was identical to Samsung remote controls.
One can assume that the Akai TV is made by Samsung in Korea. Samsung makes a great line of electronic products.
The Akai brand was famous for high-quality 7" reel-to-reel tape recorders in the sixtees and the seventees.

Akai TV's are actually assembled here in the USA.If you bought from one in the USA it was assembled in Santa Monica, CA.

But yes they use Samsung parts which are foreign but it's USA labor put into making them.In which the TV's are basically Samsung clones but with modified features, and parts that comply with the Samsung parts.For example it's like taking a name brand cpu(Compaq or Vaio), but then replacing the video card with a better and faster one and modifying the motherboard and bios to include more features and build it the way you want it.

This is basically what Akai does, they are their own brand but with the help with another brand's parts.Another brand that does this is Sanyo which is a clone of Sharp.Sanyo uses Sharp parts in their TV's but change the modifications to make it "their" product.

This is how some brands that come out like Akai and Sanyo can make great quality TV's for such a great low price(and I'll argue about Sanyo, I think they're great and I have a 27" that has lasted more than 10 years).Akai buys the Samsung parts at a cheaper price than it would be than making their own.Then changing what they want with them and take away what they don't want, then they make their TV or radio or dvd player.Then they just stick their name on it, because it's now their product.They modified it and built it so it's now a product of Akai.Cheaper for them to build, cheaper for you to buy, and you still get a great quality product.

Right now Akai seems to only be available at Sam's Club but if it turns out like the Emachines computers did(great cpu's too!I have one)I think Wal-Mart will start to carry Akai once they get popular enough.Emachine cpu's used to only be offered by Sam's, then Circuit City joined in by selling them, thus making them popular.The Next step?Now Wal-Mart carries them.

I sometimes think Sam's is the guiniea pig for new brands, and if they sell and compete well enough they contract them to Wal-Mart.

But that's just my opinion.

Robert

Answers Anyone. Is the 5498 model a HDTV or is it HD Ready. Also, what is the difference between a HDTV and a HD Ready?

The PTH5498is an HDTV Ready.

The Difference?

The ONLY difference in a HDTV to an HDTV Ready is that the HDTV comes with a built in HDTV OTA(over the air) tuner.And HDTV Ready does not, in which makes it cheaper but is fully compatible with HDTV just the same as the other model that comes with the tuner.HDTV Ready gives you the benifit of choosing your own HDTV tuner from OTA (such as Samsung or JVC)to DirecTv or DishNetwork sat HDTV receivers, or your local cable provider's box.There are many other tuners out there you can benifit better than a HDTV that comes with a tuner.Other than that the truth is they are both "HDTV" monitors, one just comes with the antenna box.

If you're looking for which one to buy, most prefer an HDTV Ready.Why?Because you have more flexibility in what HDTV Tuner you want to have instead of paying 500 to 900 more on the dollar for a built in tuner you may not even ever use if you want a sat or cable HDTV box.

Robert

Thanks Everyone! I bought an hd 54" today! Its nice! we played ps2 football on it, it's like you are there! But, I was wondering, I have regular cable(not digital)I can't upgrade(long story)I'm wanting to know if I get a satelite dish, will the picture be better(than reg. cable?)

Also, I was wondering if there is a way to disable the keypad on the front of the tv, my 1.5 year old loves to turn the tv off when you least expect it!

RE: Pete

The best thing to do if you want to "upgrade" to sat is to go HDTV.The signal you'll get from the regular sat systems will be just the same or worse than the regular cable.But seeing that you got yourself an HDTV the best thing to, is go full High Definition with a new sat system, but they will cost more though.A good HD sat system from DirecTv or Dish Network run about 500$ to 600$.With an HD sat system you can get your regular HD broadcasts plus Discovery Channel's HD theater, HBO HD, Showtime HD and all in dolby digital 5.1 not to mention next year EPSN will be going to HD as well.Be just like renting movies on dvd but through an hd signal from sattelite.

But if you're just thinking of getting the regular sat system just stick with the cable unless you want more channels then cable get a "cheap deal" on DirecTv at Blockbuster video or Best Buy.

As for turning off the keypad on the front, you cannot unless you want to get inside the TV and cut the wires which is not a good idea.Best thing to do is to build a little box out of plexiglass and install it over the keypad area closing it off to any touch.With the plexi you still give the remote a window to work with the sensor.

Robert

Benny C.
I bought an Akai PT5492 less than a couple weeks ago and it seemed to be a great deal. The last few days I have seen that there is some intermittant "video noise" when watching cable or even DVD's. it occurs when using coxial or s-video. so it's not the cable reception. it looks like darks horizontal "noise" lines. could this be due to the fact i don't have a surge protector on the electrical cord or does it indicate a internal problem? As stated it only happens intermittantly. Should i return it before the 2 weeks are up? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Sounds like you need a real good surge protector that filters out electrical noise for your Tv and components so that they get clean power, also the lines can be artifacts blown up on the big screen from the DVD movies.

The Monster Surge can run you anywhere from 79$ to 199$ depending on how much you want to protect and how much you want to invest.RCA makes some at Wal Mart that run about 25$ that filter out pretty good but not as much as the Monster.The Monster has a lifetime guaruntee on their surge protectors running insuring your appliances up to 50,000$ to 150,000$.You can grab the Monster brand protectors at Best Buy Or Circuit City.

But if the lines are dark and move with certain objects on DVD movies, this could be "banding".Which is fault of an interlaced player having it's image blown up 3 times the size on a 54" screen.This same thing happens with Cable and Sat reception because of compressed resolution.Only way to fix this is buy a higher market dvd player, best to try it out and if it's not fixed take the new player back.Or last resort, take the TV back and replace it and see if any improvement.Not much can be done with "banding" on an analog TV.

I still think that's it's just noise in the electrical line and it needs to be filtered.Refrigerators, microwaves, computers all create noise in the line when turned on and can create intermediate lines that flash now and then on your TV's.Check the Fridge, listen to hear if it starts cooling(if you can, or have someone yell at you when it happens) and watch the video and see if that's when it happens.If so then you need to get a surge that filters out electrical noise because your TV isn't getting clean enough power.

Monster Cable's Surge Protectors:
http://www.monstercable.com/power/

Robert

Benny C.
Thanks Robert, I'll give it a try. btw you guys are great with all the advice. I was freaking out about it but we'll see if a good surge protector works. thank again!

I just bought the pth5498 today, and I have run into a problem. The component 1 input works just fine, but when I hook my xbox or my dvd player to component 2, the tv either shows the image on component 1 only it is shifted way to the right so only 2/3 of the image is showing, or it begins clicking and the menu starts changing shapes like it is running through different settings trying to get it right. I was wondering if I am doing something wrong or should I take the tv back.

Charles
If the DVD is not progressive this will cause the image to shift to the side or sometimes display in Black and white if u hook it up to a component input. If ur DVD is a regular player then hook it up to the s-video input. Same with x-box, make sure x-box is progressive, I think it is, then make sure in the menu settings u choose component 2 or 1 whichever and make sure ur x-box settings is set to progrssive mode if there is one. Sounds simply like an input problem.

There should be a switch on your Xbox to select the progressive modes.The best would be 720p, if the 720p selected shows the game correctly the TV should have it converted to 1080i and you should have a stunning picture.If not select the 480p mode and see if that helps.

As Charles mentioned non progressive players and consoles put through component inputs do not show correctly and can shift the image.

Robert

Because of this message board I purchased a Akai 5498 about a month ago and just love it... We use a ReplayTV (simular to TIVO) unit and have done so for the past 2 - 3 years. This past weekend I purchased the new ReplayTV 5040 and just love it on our big screen TV... This ReplayTV has progressive output which really enhances the image of our local Digital cable. After seeing how it improved the picture I definately plan to upgrade my DVD to progressive output very soon... Many thanks Robert, Andrew, (and so many others), who have helped me set up my Akai as well as educated me on other general HDTV issues at the same time...

Anonymous
Anyone think I should spring for the 3 year warranty?

Got young kids or pets in the house?
Paranoid about electrical storms?

Then get the extended warranty.

Pretty sure about the safety of the unit in your home?
Do you have a powerful Monster Cable surge protector that insures your unit up to 50,000$?

Then don't get it.

That simple, it's all up to you and how you feel about the enviroment it's going to be in.If it's well taken care of and in an enviroment where nothing will be touching it with the excpetion of you cleaning the unit there's no need for it.All though, there's always that "what if" factor of what can happen down the road.

It's all up to you.

Robert

Anonymous
Re Preston
Component 1 is for a DVD player 480i or 480p. My nonprogressive DVD is hooked to component 1 and works great.
The TV does such a fine job with the component video fron me cheap nonprogressive DVD player that I don't even think a progressive player is necessary.
Component 2 is for 480p (progressive) or 1080i and may not work with a 480i.
I believe a progressive DVD should work on comp. 2 and any DVD should work on Comp 1.
John d

RE: Preston (follow up)

Also I have found out that the Xbox loading and setup that loads up once the unit is turned on is not a progressive feed so it will be shifted off the screen at any rate.The only progressive feeds you will recieve is that of the games and dvd's.Most games can be progressed into 480p mode and should play great on the PTH5498.I don't really know about the 720p because most TV's do not yet support it, however those who don't support it usually convert the feed into 1080i high definition.A way to find this out is set the Xbox for 720p and play a game, if you can see the game fine, and it loks great then it has converted it to 1080i if the feed is distorted or does not come in then it does not support 720p at all to even convert it.If you can get it working with 720p that's the best quality setting.

Robert

Benny C.
To all, my black video noise lines have gotten progressively worse and even the $130 Monster cable surge protector didn't help. The lines are ever present on any video input (cable, S-video or comp). Sam's returned it with no questions. I have a brand new one and so far so good.

Glad that it worked out for you in either way it had to happen. :)

Now that you have that surge protector...any lightning strikes your lines and the TV happens to get hit it's now insured and so is the protector with a lifetime warranty by Monster Cable along with anything else plugged into the powerboard.

Robert

Dale George
Hello:

I am new to this board and was thinking of purchasing a Sony, but upon going to store , found it to be too expensive. I came across in Price Mart, an AKAI CTS2550 PROJECTION TV FOR 1,349.OO.

My problem is I do not see any discussion about this model and the models being discussed on this forum is not on my island(St. Thomas) which is a U.S. territory close to Puerto Rico.

Should I purchase this 54 inch projection Tv.? Is it an old model? Is it equal or better than the Pt 5492 or 5498?

Please help!

George

Are you sure you got the right model number?Because model numbers on TV's have their video size in the code as the first 2 numbers and looking at the model ID you gave, and verifying this on their website that's a 25" color stereo tube TV.Akai only has 5 projection models that are out there.And they all start with PT(projection TV) like PT5492.CT is for Color Tube, and the S was for Stereo.

Akai only has 2 54" projection models and they are both mentioned above in this discussion, the PT5492 analog and the PTH5498 HDTV.With that being so and information you gave on the price I believe you're tlkaing about the PTH5498 HDTV ready projection model which most of this discussion has been made about.

You need to go back to the store you were at and see if the correct model ID is PT5492 or the PTH5498 but I would think at 1,300$ it's the 5498.

Robert

Admin (Admin)
>> Next Page
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us