Black and white showing up as just black

Anonymous

Hey - I'm hoping someone can tell me what's going on here... Just bought a DVD VHS Recorder combo to transfer old family videos onto DVD, only the black and white videos show up so dark you can barely see anything. Called LG, they said to return the model. I did, and got a Sony. Same thing is happening. The same exact VHS tape plays in a regular VCR just fine, and i know it's not the TV as we've tested that too. Anyone know what's going on here? Sony says to return this one. I'm just wondering if they're simply not equipped for black and white.

fx
Unregistered guest
The IRE levels (aka Black Levels) on some DVD recorders are set incorrectly. Most of them have a black level input adjustment where you can compensate for this difference. At least the Panasonics do and I imagine Toshiba and pioneer as well. I would be surprised if the Sony did not have this adjustment, try searching through the owners manual looking for "black level".

xvxvxvx

PS: Before Mr. Massey says this I will: "Most combo units suck!" :-)

Anonymous

Thanks! I'll have to see if we tried that or not - i know we found contrast etc, but i don't remmeber seeing black levels. We got so frustrated we packed the thing back up to return it....haha....so if i'm feeling brave tonight i'll unpack it. Thanks for the advice! :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us