Help fixing Sony Trinitron

srk
Unregistered guest
need some advise. My 8y old sony fades out without picture after couple of minutes. There is however audio. Is this worth getting fixed. Or is there anything I can do to fix it.

Unregistered guest
We are trying to use video 4 input on the back of our SONY Trinitron TV. WE plugged a nintendo 64 into the three jacks (Video, Audio Left and Right) on the back of the TV but can't figure out which buttons to push on the remote to make the image and sound appear on the TV

Anonymous

press tv/video button to scroll thru inputs until video 4 is reached. some brands have direct access buttons but sony does not

emanuel
Unregistered guest
i have a sony trinitron and when i play videogames and watch tv it goes black for a second then the picture comes back and 5 seconds later it goes black again and over and over again it just keeps doing it.what should i do?

Unregistered guest
how do I hook up the picture on picture on a Sony Trinitron Televions. We recently moved and cannot figure out how to hook up the wiring to get it to work. Please help

Anonymous

Can You Help? I have a Sony Trinitron 5 years+ old (big heavy duty black box model) and I want to play dvds on it from my mac. I have bought the right cabling from the apple store and when I connect up I get an image of the desktop on the tv screen but can only seem to use the mouse to change system preferences. When I launch the dvd player, all I get is the audio, no picture, even though it is showing on my mac. I have tried connecting the cables to both the front and back jacks of the tv but its the same. Any ideas?

stoddy
Unregistered guest
hi i have just moved to cyprus and my sny triniton kv 32fx20u tv after about half an hout turns its self of to standby if i switch it off at the plug and then back on it works for another half hour, the stand by led flashes when it switches off is there a simple fix for this?

Silver Member
Username: Reinhart

Post Number: 151
"need some advise. My 8y old sony fades out without picture after couple of minutes. There is however audio. Is this worth getting fixed. Or is there anything I can do to fix it."

Even though this is an older post...

This may be an indication that your television has a worn picture tube.

Your Sony uses what's known as an auto kine bias, or AKB, circuit. An oversimplified explanation is that it essentially keeps the video from displaying on your picture tube until it's "warmed up." If the tube is worn out, the AKB can cut the video thinking that the tube isn't warmed up.

You've gotten eight years of service out of your television, which really isn't bad at all (although there are some sets that are over 20 years old and are still working).

You may have to consider replacing your television as a new tube will likely be more than the set is worth. But, you should still consider Sony. - Reinhart

Silver Member

Post Number: 152
"hi i have just moved to cyprus and my sny triniton kv 32fx20u tv after about half an hout turns its self of to standby if i switch it off at the plug and then back on it works for another half hour, the stand by led flashes when it switches off is there a simple fix for this?"

Hard to say.

I would recommend hiring a reputable repair professional. Shop around for repair services and find one that offers free estimates. It's likely worth getting your set repaired instead of replacing it. - Reinhart

nickelpony
Unregistered guest
Help. I have a sony trinitron, 3 years old. We have charter moxi DVR. I can't figure out how to get audio out to my stereo reciever. The audio out connection on the box goes to the tv. I've connected the RL audio out on the tv to the reciever, but -- nothing-- Am I missing something in the set up?

Silver Member

Post Number: 214
"Help. I have a sony trinitron, 3 years old. We have charter moxi DVR. I can't figure out how to get audio out to my stereo reciever. The audio out connection on the box goes to the tv. I've connected the RL audio out on the tv to the reciever, but -- nothing-- Am I missing something in the set up?"

The audio output may be variable and dependent on the volume level of the television.

There is also the possibility that you have to set some options in the TV menu regarding how the audio output is managed. - Reinhart

Unregistered guest
sony trinitron 8 years old son playing videogame, set just shut off! now no power to tv replace? or repair?

Unregistered guest
sony trinitron 8 years old son playing videogame, set just shut off! now no power to tv replace? or repair?

Silver Member

Post Number: 275
Hard to say.

One thing you could try is to unplug the set for a few minutes and plug it back in.

If that fails, a replacement could be in order considering the age of the set and the fact that you could use this as an excuse to upgrade to HDTV (assuming that this is your main television).

Either way, I'd still recommend Sony. - Reinhart

SaveOurSony
Unregistered guest
SOS
I own a 1989 Sony Trinitron model no. kv20ts24. The Television is very sensitive to being jarred or moved in any way, and even the slightest tap will cause the screen to flicker with white lines going horizantally over the picture. The television will sometimes keep flickering in short attacks if you will, until the tv is jarred again, which will temporarily fix the problem. It seems to be more sensetive towards the first ten minutes of use after a long period of being powered off "it is still quite sensetive after this too though".

Audio is also affected, and when the tv flickers, the set will make a sort of crackling noise.

I beleive that it may be a loose internal wire, because the picture is fine in every other respect, and I am aware that the age of the TV is reasonably old, but I would still like some opinions on the situation.

Unregistered guest
"Can You Help? I have a Sony Trinitron 5 years+ old (big heavy duty black box model) and I want to play dvds on it from my mac. I have bought the right cabling from the apple store and when I connect up I get an image of the desktop on the tv screen but can only seem to use the mouse to change system preferences. When I launch the dvd player, all I get is the audio, no picture, even though it is showing on my mac. I have tried connecting the cables to both the front and back jacks of the tv but its the same. Any ideas?"

I'm not sure if it's the same on a MAC (it should be they use graphics cards from manufacturers that produce for PC as well), but on a PC you need to set the TV as the Primary monitor before it will play the DVD on the TV. Changing this setting is done in the Display Properties on Windows. Not sure where it is on a MAC; there may be a similar "Display Settings" or other similar wording in the system preferences or control panel or settings page that may reveal the Primary Montitor setting.
After you've done this you will see the reverse of the problem you have: The DVD won't display on the MAC but will play on the TV.

Hope that helps

Unregistered guest
can anyone help we have been given a 14" sony trinitron, works fine but only on one channel, How the heck do we tune in the others. Have a remote but no instructions. Baffled!!

Unregistered guest
I have just been given a sony trinitron tv old black box type its works great but the picture is not alingend to the TV it is lower at one end. Any ideas on how to adjust this. I have remote but no instrctions.

Unregistered guest
I have a 36" sony Trinitron aproximitly 5 years old. It poweres on and says press CH+ for setup or CH- for exit. Neither the remote or any button on the tv works. I can't us the tv at all

bmfnedogg
Unregistered guest
I have a KV-13FS110, small 13" trinitron. The tv doen't respond to the remote. No buttons on the front of the tv work except volume up or down. When I press either of these, the volume goes all the way up and stays up. Any ideas?

JMF
Unregistered guest
We have a 2Y old Sony Trinitron. Picture suddenly is very very dark. You can see some of the picture in very dark red. Weird thing is the picture-in-picture box looks fine. Menu display is fine, too. Is there a way to reset the video settings or is this a bad picture tube?? We're dissappointed that this has happened with such a young set! It was a floor model, though...

Username: Djnol

Post Number: 1
We have a Sony Trinitron 1989 TV. We have used, for several years, the Tv for using games consoles and to do this we pressed the AV button on the Television remote ( Small black square with an arrow in it.) Recently,however, the remote has stopped working and we cannot find another button on the TV that is the equivalent of that on the remote. Does anyone know if there is a button on the actual TV that could be used or if not, where a remote for this TV is available?

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2665
Just buy a One For All universal remote, it will be far cheaper than what Sony will want for a new remote. The TV/VID button will change inputs.

Username: Sarge844

where are the replies

Bronze Member
Username: Mspearl

Post Number: 23
There are a lot more questions than replies. If there is a reply you will see it.

Username: Cleobosco

sony triniron 36" flat turned on and it turned its self off immediately now will not turn on. unplugged over night still nothing.

Username: Sony32

I have a 32" Sony Trinitron, 8 years old. Yesterday all its power went out (i.e. no lights, no picture, no sound.) Anyone have advice on whether to fix it or dump it? I'm hoping the tube is ok, but don't know if there's an easily replaceable part that could have killed the power. I guess I'll try to open it up and look for a blown capacitor.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us