My New Plasma TV is Buzzing? Should I return it?

boston3654
Unregistered guest
Just bought the Panasonic TH-42PD50U. I love the TV and great for the money, but it's making a fairly loud buzzing sound when on. You can't really hear it unless the volume is low...But is this bad? Schould I exchange the TV or is it normal?

Thanks

Perrey Z.
Unregistered guest
I have the TH-37PX50U and i also hear that annoying buzz.

These are the common noises and buzzing with these Panasonics:

#1 Fan noise. The company justify this as "normal".

#2 unbareable static {even on mute} coming from the 2nd left speaker. Again, according to Panasonic this is also normal.

#3 the famous buzzing that it's cause when high contrast images are displayed. Yep, that's also "normal".

Word of advise; return it, and get something other than a Panasonic.

P.S. These units don't have burn-in prevention modes {screen orbiter, white wash, etc,}. so, there's another good reason to return it.

JMR
Unregistered guest
Sounds like Panny went REALLY cheap on the new consumer units. I would get Panasonic commercial or Sammy or LG

Perrey Z.
Unregistered guest
These are some units you might be interested in:

Plasma monitors {no NTSC tuner, stands or speakers are included, great if you already have a home theater and a satellite or digital cable set top box.}

Hitachi CMP-4212U {Silver}

Hitachi CMP-4211U {Charcoal}

Hitachi CMP-55HDM71 {Glossy Black W/ Titanium trim on the lower border.}

ViewSonic VPW4200 {Low resolution made by Hitachi.}

ViewSonic VPW4255 {High resolution 1,024 X1,024p ALiS panel, also made by Hitachi.}

NEC PX-42XR3. {High resolution model.}

Pioneer PDP-434CMX {You can customized it by adding the TV tuner video card, HD card and/or extra input cards.}

There's a few others from Pioneer, Hitachi, LG and Samsung to consider but right now i don't recall their model numbers.

Plasma TVs {with integrated NTSC tuners, some have ATSC {HDTV} tuners, stands and speakers}

LG DU-42PY10X

Samsung HP-R4271

Samsung HP-R4272 {New with 10,000:1 Contrast Ratio.}

Pioneer PDP-4345HD {$2,999.99 At Costco.com}

Pioneer PDP-4312 {$2,999.99 at Costco Warehouses and for a limited time at http://www.netbored.com/}

Vizio P42HDe {High resolution, now at $1,999.99 at Costco.}

Vizio P50HDM 50" with LG's 10,000:1 Contrast Ratio panel for $2,999.99 but you can get it for $2,599.99 during the August sale.

Perrey Z.
Unregistered guest
Correction: It's Pioneer PDP-4310HD, not PDP-4312 and it's just a monitor not a TV, however the e-tailer is including the stand and the speakers with the offer.

Username: Bruzzi

Post Number: 8
[b]Just bought the Panasonic TH-42PD50U. I love the TV and great for the money, but it's making a fairly loud buzzing sound when on. You can't really hear it unless the volume is low...But is this bad? Schould I exchange the TV or is it normal? [/b]

All Plasmas buzz in some degree. But if you can hear it more than 1-2 feet, get your TV replaced.

Perrey Z.
Unregistered guest
Hmm...no., a Plasma that buzz at any distance is not a good plasma, period. Low whirring from the fans, no buzzing, that's the only noise acceptable.

abe vigoda
Unregistered guest
wow .. the more I read these posts the better I feel about not getting a Panasonic. My Z42PX2D is completely silent. I can put my ear right up to the screen and hear no noise. Of course if you stick your head an inch away from the back, you'll hear a little buzz .. that's totally normal.

Perrey Z.
Unregistered guest
Don't get a Panasonic either LCD or plasma, trust me i had one of each and they are total dissapointments, thankfully for me the e-tailers will take them back.

Any other brand of the ones i've listed above is better than Panasonic.

Unregistered guest
Perrey Z,
Where can I get the Vizio 50" on sale during August? I was interested before I saw your post. rickgrunden@hotmail.com please write to me directly with info as I will get it on my phone. Thank you. Rick

Perrey Z.
Unregistered guest
At Costco warehouses and at http://www.costco.com/

The regular warehouse price will be $2,999.99 but between August 22nd and the 28th they will be selling them for $2,599.99 after the $400.00 Off at the register instant coupon.

In order to purchase it for $2,599.99 you'll need to be an good standing Costco member and have on-hand the coupon from the Member's Passport coupon book. The coupon is not neccessary for purchase on their website, only at the warehouse.

Product details:
Vizio 50" plasma W/ stand and integratd speakers. Model# P-50HDM Costco SKU# 875050.

John W.
Unregistered guest
Does the vizio use an lg panel on all of their plasmas? I know they are a third tier mfg. but I didn't think they released info on the parts that were used (orignal mfg.) to build the plasma. I currently have a vizio 42hd that I am having trouble with and am returning to costco. I would like to purchase a trouble free plasma if there is such an animal. Any info would be appreciated.

Username: Jim_noyd

Manhattan Beach, CA USA

Post Number: 4
If you want the spec sheet of the manual for the VIZIO P50 HDM it can be found at http://www.vizioce.com/site/products/product_p50hdm.html

Bronze Member
Username: Partyatmarios

Post Number: 33
VIZIO p50hdm has a LG PANEL. For best chance of quiet fans make sure costco assistance person opens boxes and finds a unit with a July manufacture date, not June. Trust me on this, my new Vizio is quiet as a mouse. I love it. Thanks again Perrey Z.

Bronze Member
Username: Partyatmarios

Post Number: 34
Abe Vigoda the actor? I just saw you in a comedy/crime movie with Harvey Kietal, I see you got the last word, it was great. Thanks

One NOTE ON THE VIZIO, It has an image cleaner feature that if used as a regular maintenance feature should prevent burn in, it will not fix burn in but if you keep good maintenance you should be fine.

theimpeuousone
Unregistered guest
I have a Panasonic and just recently started hearing a buzz sound in the volume. But i found it was only when it was connected to my cable reciever. When connected to my XBOX or any other device, the unit is silent. You may want to check what ever source device you're connected to.

Silver Member
Username: Skyliner17

Saint Paul, MN United States

Post Number: 196
i have a panasonic plasma 42" tv and mine does not buzz. it's totally silent. i started out with the TH-42PD50U and returned it and got the phd8uk because i wanted hd and wanted black instead of silver frame. it seems some people are really against panasonic...just my opinion though.

syphone
Unregistered guest
It's making louder noise when connected to STB. why? why? why?

Username: Bazzag

Post Number: 1
I had the same model and also had a buzzing sound. I brought it from Jessops. It didnt matter what I did with it, I couldnt stop the noise. Although it wasnt too loud it got annoying late at night. I sent mine back! Im getting this one now http://www.jellydeal.co.uk/plasma.html the Toshiba model for the same price seems to actually be a better deal!

Username: Highgear

CT. #1

Post Number: 5
Are you at a high altitude? I have read that plasmas do buzz in a high altitude. Something about the gasses in the panel. Do a google search on the plasma buzz. I just purchased the Panasonic TH-42PX5OU and love it. Bright vibrant colors and deep blacks. I did a lot of research on 42" plasmas and Panosonic comes out on top. I also let my eyes do the judging at all the electronic places. Our Best Buy had the best hook-up's on the TV's. Sears was the worst. I'm running all Monster and AR cables W/the Direct TV new H20 box. Fantastic!! One thing I'm not too sure of is the HDMI cable. I have read that the A/V sink can be off at times. I found this to be true the other night while watching Discovery HD. They did a thing on high performance cars. The audio was out of sink. This didn't happen on an other HD station though. HD is so new and we are the guinea pigs. Exciting hey!

Hotshot 1
Unregistered guest
is there a tv worth buying cause i was going to buy it but if theres a better tv cause all i want to waste is $3000

Hotshot 1
Unregistered guest
is there a tv worth buying cause i was going to buy it but if theres a better tv cause all i want to waste is $3000

Hotshot 1
Unregistered guest

Username: Davidintel

Post Number: 4
Panasonic makes the best HDTV and EDTV's on the market, bar none!

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 303
Now and then we see posts made out to bash a brand and thats clearly whats happenin here. Most of the Panny 37 inchers dont have fans. My 42 inch Panny doesnt have a fan either not does it buzz. All plasmas used to be prone to buzzing at high altitudes. Its not a brand specific concern. Any serious buzzing is a power supply issue on any audio or video product and should be returned for a replacement.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us