Upconvert player over component?

Username: Tmanxx

Sacramento, CA USA

Post Number: 1
I have an HDTV that does not have an HDMI or DVI input. I was wondering if there are any upconverting DVD players that connect via component cables? I currently have a great working, "Digital Direct Progressive Scan", 7 disk JVC player that connects via component... but if I can get a better quality picture, I would by another player in a heart beat.

Any info would be appreciated since Home Theater is just a hobbie that I am just starting to understand more than just the basics.

Anonymous

Hello tman. This was previously posted I thought this might help...

Samsung HD 841
I found out that you can not only receive HD quality through the DVI or HDMI input but through Component video as well!

IF YOUR HDTV IS NOT HDCP COMPATIBLE OR DOES NOT HAVE A DVI OR HDMI INPUT LISTEN UP!

Just by turning off the HDCP on the player you can enable your player to display HD quality through component video (Normally displays a resolution with 480i or 480p). Now just set the resolution on the player to the appropriate resolution according to your TVs specifictions (720p/768/1080i).

Turning off HDCP on the 841:

1. Turn your television ON
2. Turn the DVD Player ON
(You should see the Samsung screen saver appear on the TV)
3. Ensure the DVD tray is EMPTY and CLOSED
4. Wait for the message 'NO DISC' to appear

IMPORTANT: Use the remote control supplied
with the player to perform the following functions:

5. Press the ANGLE button
6. Press the numbers 4, 3, 2, 7
(You should see the message 'HDCP Free' appear in the upper
left hand corner of your television screen)
7. Press the OPEN/CLOSE button to open the disc tray
Your DVD player is now region-free and HDCP-free!

Note: The Samsung HD850 is a newer model of the HD841. I would recommend that you use a THX ultra performance Monster Component Cables.

Anonymous

Hi
I have samsung HD850 DivX player and I try your solution to make it HDCP free buy it doesn't work.
When I press the ANGLE button, a banning sign appear in the upper right hand corner. And when I press the numbers they appear on screen.
If you have another solution, I will be very happy.

arundel
Unregistered guest
Thanks very much for the samsung 'hack'. It worked for me, I was ready to return my dell and dvd player. Thanks again

Username: Nibl

Post Number: 2
Bump, because I am also wondering about the HD850. Anyone get the hack to work with it?

Username: Cam_g

Post Number: 3
Just wondering if anyone has got this to work.

Thanks Cam

Kal el
Unregistered guest
Does this also work with the HD850 and HD950???

Anonymous

The HDCP hack does not work with HD850 region 2, but it's directly sold with "region free".
I'm still looking for HDCP hack to work with it???

Praeotrian
Unregistered guest
The LG LDA 531 DVD player upconverts on both component and HDMI.

orion
Unregistered guest
It's ANGLE 4,3,2,7 then ANGLE again, not open/close like it says above. Worked perfectly, my component cables give 1080i now.

Halo
Unregistered guest
How can I get my Samsung HD 841 to play DIVX, XVID, MPEG or AVI files? I tried regional code and upgrade firmware from samsung.com it still doesn't work. Please help me out.

DrewLB1
Unregistered guest
Hope Some one can help here, I have the HD850, and used the HDCP hack (ANGLE 4,3,2,7 then ANGLE again)and got the HDCP Free message. But then when I go to the Display setup menue, and try to change the resolution, it is still grey'd out and set at 480P.
Any one have a solution?

drewlb1
Unregistered guest
figured it out... the menue will not let you make the changes, but pressing the HDMI Sel. Button on the remote will. So the Angle HAck does work, just need the last step of pressing the HDMI Sel button until it shows the correct resolution.

orion
Unregistered guest
Yep DrewLB1, must be one of the only dvd players to upconvert over component. I just bought a second HD841 player to have in my basement. The hacked worked on that player too. I verified the 1080i component output using my X1 projector that shows what resolution it's receiving.

Username: Musicmusic

First, I'd like to say that you are all genius godsends... I have been going nuts! First I buy the hd841 then find out the kid at best buy was wrong when he told me I could hook it up with component to upconvert. In the meantime, I've been trying to find a dvd player that will upconvert through component. Now I found this... You guys are great. The only bad thing is now I have to wait until I get off of work to try it. The suspense is killing me!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Justfig

Maynardville, TN USA

Post Number: 11
I got my HD841 yesterday and hooked it up via the DVI connection. I have to say, I'm not real impressed with the upconversion picture. I can see a difference over standard 420p component connection but I would say it is an unremarkable difference! Maybe it's just the Samsung (its my 1st try at upconverting) or maybe its the whole upconverting concept? I even did the firmware update to no better result. If this is in fact the best it gets with upconverting I would suggest you save your money and wait for a real HD solution comes out! Just MHO.

JF

Whitehat
Unregistered guest
I just bought the new DVD HD950. I tried the mentioned Hack but it does not work. You get the message HDCP free but still no 1080i over component. I also tried the video sel and mentioned above but that really does not do anything. It is a shortcut that selects the video choice, like a short cut into the menu settings. You still need access in the menu to change the output to 1080i and it does not work. Goog luck, I'm returning mine today and getting the LG model sold in Canada. The ones sold here in the US to not allow this feature due to copy protection agreements with Motion Picture studio's.

Jimi6
Unregistered guest
"Whitehat"

It is not the video sel button.... that was miss typed....

The proper button is the HDMI Sel button.... this will scroll through the different resolutions available.... Hope this helps.

James3Toe
Unregistered guest
"Whitehat"

I thought the Hack did not work, but it does.
You do not have to be in the setup menu to change the output to 1080i (in fact, I could not get it to work in the setup menu). Just hit the HDMI Sel button while on the Samsung "screen saver" screen and you'll rotate through the different resolution options.

By the way, mine is USA machine.

Anonymous

there is also a hack for the hd850 (different from the 950). look here:
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks.php?select=Samsung+DVD-HD950

Anonymous

My first message:

Hi
"I have samsung HD850 DivX player and I try your solution to make it HDCP free buy it doesn't work.
When I press the ANGLE button, a banning sign appear in the upper right hand corner. And when I press the numbers they appear on screen.
If you have another solution, I will be very happy."

"The HDCP hack does not work with HD850 region 2, but it's directly sold with "region free".
I'm still looking for HDCP hack to work with it??? "

I thought the Hack did not work, but it does.

My plasma display doesn't work with PAL 50Hz signal.
I just changed this output signal on my HD850 to NTSC 60Hz. And now I can upconvert the resolution to 768p (progressive).
And it work's with DVD Pal and DivX.
I use a HDMI to DVI cable, and my plasma display is not HDCP compliant.My HD850 is European model zone2.

Hope this helps.
Happy new year...

Peek
Unregistered guest
Hi I have found the above hack at videohelp.com will work but you need to use the one with the "repeat" button each zone has a diffrent hack code i.e. region 3 : '56732' open tray for 15 sec
the region code will display on the left top screen you can type in the region you want i.e. 9 the hack will let you change with 'hdmi' button the resolution output for the component connection.

I hope this will help you guys....

eengert
Unregistered guest
I have a HLR5067W and I just got a DVD-HD850 to play DVD's in 720p. I already own a Panasonic 5-disc DVD changer (SD P-scan). So last night I was comparing the two and I see no difference. I tried both the HDMI and the Component on the HD850 (using the "angle hack" to enable 720p over Component) and set the resolution to 720p (actually, I tried all the resolutions) and could not distinguish between the two or between either of those and the 480p Component output from the Panny when comparing the same scenes from the same DVD. I had always questioned what kind of up-conversion these so-called HD DVD players could do on standard DVD's that the TV couldn't do, but with a good deal going at CC I figured I'd give it a try to see for myself. I have a fairly discerning eye and care a great deal about the fine-tuning of my video signal, yet I see no reason to keep the HD850. It appears that the Sammy TV is capable of the same level of up-conversion that the HD850 is. I don't even notice any audio sync issues when using the Panny, even the though the TV is doing a little extra work to up-convert from 480p to 720p (I can adjust the timing on my AV receiver anyway to compensate for any issues that may arise). So unless someone can offer a suggestion for some setting that you think I've missed, I'm returning the HD850 tonight. Anyone?

Anonymous

eengert -
The only difference is that when outputting 480p over component cables, you are doing a Digital (the dvd) to Analog (component cables) back to Digital (The TV) and then up-converting to whatever the native resolution on your TV is (720p, 1080i, 768p etc). If you have the DVD player do the upconversion, you keep the signal completely digital until all upconversion is done, thus hopefully having less artifacts (distortion) in the final displayed picture. Whether or not this is actually the case depends on the ability of your TV and DVD player to upconvert. If your TV is really good at it, you may not notice a difference.

Bronze Member
Username: Iceberg

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 29
I say save your money for a real HD DVD player or Blue - ray coming out this summer. I have a 50" Sony Grand Wega. Very Nice TV hooked up to my upconverting Panasonic dvds77s player via HDMI. And i can tell you there is no difference in picture quality with my Denon dvd910 hooked up with Monster component cables and the Panasonic hooked up with HDMI cable on this TV.

I don't know what people are smoking saying the picture quality blows everything away whith upconverting DVD players? Why do you think the prices on the upconverting DVD players droping so fast? Because the difference between upconverting and proggresive scan is very little. And people know this so they don't bother getting one of this new DVD players, instead wait for the real HD DVD's.

If you don't have HDMI or DVI stick with your Proggresive scan DVD player. If you Upgrade to an HDTV later on than buy the real HD DVD players coming out.

Cheers,

andylsmo
Unregistered guest
The R2 hack is great and worked fine for me BUT when selecting 720p or 1080i my screen appears to be 'left justified' and not central. I'm using a viewsonic N3000w over component i/p, EZ view helps alot with top & bottom black bars but i've got a BIG vertical space on rhs of screen. How can i centralize the screen ?

Username: Europa760

that is cool information nonetheless. i personally havent seen a big difference in quality with my HD850 and am hesitant to keep it.

but for the 110 bucks i payed for it, it replaces my old cheap panasonic dvd player which isnt even progressive scan. so its not so bad. i can keep it and buy an HD DVD when it comes out and not feel so bad. 100 bucks aint that big of a deal, not in this game at least.

anyone know why my dvd player prints out "HDMI audio not supported"? what is the point of it then?

mutt873
Unregistered guest
I just bought the player in CA and it won't play DivX/Xvid files - Any help on what I need to do to get this working properly? Update firmware? Thanks!

no name-1
Unregistered guest
James3Toe - after reading through half of these posts I tried the same thing you did on my HD-850. Worked like a charm. Just hit the HDMI SEL button on thre remote while in the samsung screen saver mode. Keep cycling through the modes by hitting the button on the remote, it eventually goes to 1080i. If you go back to the video setup in samsung menu it displays 1080i.

Unregistered guest
I dont think the new ones does anything on the component when you change the hdmi sel modes.

My projector does not show the change in the resolution.

Unregistered guest
I dont think the new ones does anything on the component when you change the hdmi sel modes.

My projector does not show the change in the resolution.

Username: Kenton

Wilmington, DE

Does anyone know if the component upconvert hack also works for the newer Samsung HD 860?

Silver Member
Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 105
I really think many of you are too tied up in upconversion and forget the big picture, video quality.

I suggest you change your approach and concentrate on a quality DVD player with good video processing. This is far more important than upscaling for a quality picture, as some of you have discovered already.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=all

This site has some great information on video processing and many aspects that affect video quality.

Hope this helps and none of you take this offensively.

Username: Piktograf

FL

I did try the hack above and it does show "H... something free" but I need it to be code free as well. Are there any topics without Aiwa remote? Thanks

Username: Marble1

CURIOUS:

Will these hacks work for the Samsung HD860 or new R135 or know how to hack them?

My 65" 16:9 Diamond Series Mitsubishi is over 3 years old and still has amazing picture quality, but has no HDMI or DVI inputs. It displays everything but 1080p.

Options are thin on finding a reliable (to me) source to buy the HD850 and HD950.

Thank you.

-Jason

Username: Marcoitaly

MODENA, ITALY GUIGLIA

hello they are Italian I do not speak to English use an electronic translator. I have acquired in America with Ebay player a Samsung hd 960 had to be CODE FREE and PAL instead is alone CODE 1 and NTSC
Have said to buy a remote control to me universal remote Philips and to proceed.
The vendor has written to me

here are the instructions:

1. turn on the dvd player
2. then press code/serach
3. the light on the philips universal remote should be red
4. then immediately press the vcr button
5. then press the numbers 7,8,6
6. then press info/select with disc tray open
7. then press 9

from then on you will always have to do instructions 6 and 7 with the disc tray open whenever you want to play a PAL DVD.

But creed does not succeed nothing that the remote control is not that gest one or perhaps remote codes must be inserted de nel control EXAMPLE AIWA, SAMSUNG, PHLIPS Or OTHER. YOU HELP ME

Username: Ihateregistration

****IMPORTANT****PURCHASE IMMINENT*****

would it work on a tv that does not support vga or dvi or hdmi, yet is high def (1080i) to do the following:

hdmi to dvi. followed by dvi to vga. followed by vga to component. If so, would the signal quality loss due to these conversions outweigh any benefit from an upconverted image to 1080i on a crt projection tv?

Thank you for a quick response

Username: Tuanv

I just saw this post and decided to try it on my HD 841, which I've been using on my SD set since I didn't know about this 'hack'. Well I tried it but not sure if it works or not. I mean the PQ didn't exactly blow me away. is there a glaring difference? how can I 'unhack' it to see if there's a difference in pq?

Username: Radha

I have the Samsung HD860 would this work with this model? and has anyone seen real changes with this hack?

I have the Samsung HD860 would this work with this model? and has anyone seen real changes with this hack?

I tried it out and it did say HDCP free but I noticed no glaring difference. is it my component cables?

You have to use the "SET HDMI" button to change resolution. did you doit on a HD860?

I have the HD841. Still pretty disappointed in the way it looks even after the hack. I"m wondering how I can unhack it to see if there's a difference. SO far no glaring difference

Username: Whitestar7

Post Number: 5
you could just buy yourself the helios h4000 and save yourself alot of hassle

Post Number: 4
Didn't know about the Helios....will have to wait to see it. Thanks though.

Username: Fivealive

Help. I have a problem. I have a toshi DLP and for the past two years I've used a LG DVD player that upconverted to 720 1080 via components. yes it's true.
It quit on me and I now realize there are no more players on the market that upconvert to 720/1080 via components. Ok fine. I got a new player and HDMI cable. Worked fine via the HDMI input for a couple days then the screen goes black. Can't use HDMI connection -- only component. But of course, no 720.
Figuring its the DVD, I took it back and got a panny recorder. Worked fine for 1 viewing on HDMI and after a day, same thing: screen goes black. Can't even see the DVD menu. again, it works through components. I have to unplug my DVD player and then HDMI comes back on--sometimes.
I've heard of isses with 1st Gen HDMI ports (which my TV has I think) not working properly with new HDMI versions on DVD players. Any suggestions?

On a side note, watching DVDs with components isn't too bad. Better than I thought. I think because my TVs native resolution of 720p is actaully upscaling the DVD now? If that's the case, I might not fret so much about the problemtaic HDMI.

Username: Valis

Does this hack work with the HD941? The HD941 has the faroudja DCDi. I'm pretty sure that the HD941 was released at the same time as the HD841, so the hack might work. I'm trying to decide whether I should buy the HD841, or the HD941.

Post Number: 8
try the helios h4000, worked ok for me

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
except i couldnt get it working for 1080p, and they have rubbish customer service

Username: Mann100

Bringing back an old post to ask if anyone knows why my HD841 doesn't have the "sel HDMI" like everyone else's seems to have. Instead it has "sel DVI" Is it on older model or something? I bought it off of Ebay to upconvert through Component and I'm not having any luck at all. The picture is all warped and comes off and on and all kinds of weird stuff. (Tosh 57hx81 TV btw)Any suggestions?

Username: Kennytran

I have a Samsung DVDR135. After connecting HDMI output DVD player to a HDMI input KDF-55WF655 set. The picture quality is not 1080P. Did I miss doing anything right?. Please help. I've been read all your posted with hack the remote to get quality picture over component. Do any of you outthere know how to hack this DVDR135? I appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3194
It's an upconverted signal, it's not going to look like true 1080p. You can't really expect very good upconversion from Samsung.

Username: Ihateregistration

Kenny Tran.

Your sony lcd projection TV has a native resolution of 720p.
The picture will never be 1080p. In fact it will "only" accept as high as 1080i (just as high a resolution) only to scale it back down to 720p.
The whole point of upconverting dvd players is to, as stated in post February 10, 2006 - 05:45 pm by Anonymous, keep the number of conversions between the source (dvd) and the destination (TV) to a bare minimum. By feeding your 720native TV a 1080whatever signal, you create at least 1extra conversion.

Feed it 720.
then again im no expert, it might not make a difference. but give it a go.

Username: Ankurbs

Hi everyone. I had a question which I am sure everyone has either talked about or is talking about. Are upconverting DVD players really worth it? I have a Sony 36 inch TV which has an HD aspect to it, but is not wide screen (it is about 2-3 years old. There is a wide screen version of my TV out there, but I am guessing for people who wanted the HD aspect for a little less, they could get this). anyways, I have a DVD/VCR combo and I have been noticing that upconverting DVD players are getting cheaper and cheaper. My TV does have a DVI input on the back, so I could still use a HDMI output of one of these players (with the right cable) and I was wondering if I should really consider getting one or just wait until i get a new TV. Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 139
Ankur,

I would focus more on getting a quality DVD player, and not so much on the upscaling capabilities of a DVD player. If you get both, great, but deinterlacing and mpeg decoding are much more important.

The original Oppo OPDV971H with DVI is probably your best bang for the buck solution.

There really are not any advanages to an HDMI DVD player since your TV only support DVI unless you plan to upgrade later. If so, then maybe the Panasonic S97 or 77 would be a good choice cost\performance wise.

Good Luck!

Username: Nil_g1

The HDCP hack does not work with Samsung HD860, because there is no Angel button in the Remote control
I'm still looking for HDCP hack to work with it???

Username: Jonnycage

Chennai, Tamilnadu India

Post Number: 5
i have a philips TV 29pt8836,it is HD ready but does not have HDMI or DVI inputs but have 2 ypbpr connections,one is component video,other is HD.i have a sony dav-dz150k progressive scan dvd player,can i hack the player to watch HD content on my TV,i already get 480p.plss help

Username: Mechael

Does this method works for Samsung HD870?

Username: Larry8811

I have a Sony KV-27HS420 TV. For the TV "zoom" function to work the input signal must be 1080i. I use component video because by home theater receiver does not have HDMI switching. I also have a Samsung HD850 DVD player and this thread previously detailed how to make this player upconvert to 1080i over component; this works great: DVD to 1080i to TV via component.

Now I am in the market for a DVD recorder (preferably with ATSC tuner) with the same capability. The Samsung DVD-AR650 looks good but I don't know about the upconversion to 1080i via component. Any advice out there? Thanks.

Username: Theextremeone

Moreno Valley, CA USA

I was told that all Upconvert DVD players regardless if they are 1080P or 1080I will upconvert to what ever your TV or Video process will take. And that there is no need to play with the menu to make it work. I also have a TV that will only use Componet and not HEMI. I just bought a Toshiba SD-6000 DVD player has anyone had success with it?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3749
Your player will not upconvert over component. The best you can get over component is 480p. If you need to get upconversion over component, look at a player that can be hacked like Oppo. All HDTVs upconvert to their native resolution.

Username: Theextremeone

Moreno Valley, CA USA

What Oppo player would you suggest? This sounds like the hot tip. Please expand on your thoughts.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3752
Look through the AVS threads. I don't know if they can all be hacked or not, but all the info you need should be there.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=482239

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=682896

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=785398

I'm sure there are more threads on Oppo over there if you don't find what you're looking for.

Username: Larry8811

The older Samsung HD850 (and some others in that series) will upconvert to 1080i over component; I have one and it works great. See my post on 2007Sep28. However, later on the powers-that-be plugged that hole and I don't think that any newer players have that capability. I'm in the market for an ATSC DVR with that capability and I haven't found one.

Username: Egarcia

Dear all.

I need to disable HDCP on a Samsung HD870 region 4.

Does anyone have the codes?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us