Spitting digital cable box/HDTV box signal from Comcast

Closed: New threads not accepted on this page
  Thread Last Poster Posts Last Post
Archive through January 31, 2005whyidie100
Closed: New threads not accepted on this page

Stan M
Unregistered guest
I was going to get Comcast cable card for HD only. Customer service told me it was $4.85 to rent a month and $9.95 to install. No upgrade was necessary, only to have basic tier of analog service. Hope this helps

whyidie
Unregistered guest
Wow! Thats great news if true. Maybe I got an odd rep. I'll give them another call. Thanks!

NIL8TOR
Unregistered guest
Yes, your quality will improve once you get out of using RCA and moveto the digital box. Actually, your quality has always been poor but you never noticed until you got an LCD TV.

And no, Comcast wants you to pay for digital service then add HD as an option. Generally, it's going to run you $60+ for the HD basics. You can always use Comcast basic for $14 then do HD over-the-air instead for free, but that limits you in channels.

NIL8TOR
Unregistered guest
A budy of mine answered my question about the digital cable box outputs and Media Center PC's (HTPC's) as follows:

The MOT6200 (and apparently any other on the market), outputs in RCA, S-Vid, Component, or Coax, but coax is analog output, not digital like the input. They do this on purpose for digital rights issues... those SOB's.

RCA and S-Vid outputs are not capable of transmitting signals at HD quality, only component or DVI, but since PC TV cards don't yet (if ever) do component or DVI input you're screwed. Digital rights suck!

Pretty soon they'll turn on the 'don't record' bit on shows and you won't be able to TIVO or MCE them either. What has this world come to! Why should I spend tons of cash on a new LCD HDTV if I have to pay $80/mo. and can't record anything. :-(

Jane Swaggert
Unregistered guest
"And no, Comcast wants you to pay for digital service then add HD as an option. Generally, it's going to run you $60+ for the HD basics."

WRONG!WRONG!WRONG! I just got new hdtv capable tv and called comcast. I need a digital box. I asked her specifically about if I have to have digital service to get HD. She said absolutely not. I am getting the digital service for my husband, but for those that just want HD this is an option. Also, Discovery HD has just been added! Yeah.

rphawn
Unregistered guest
Jane is right. I had the same question and got the same answer. The only problem I've noticed is the picture quality of the non-HD stations, which are most of them, is not as good as before. The HD is fabulous, though.

NIL8TOR
Unregistered guest
"WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!" Jane, you're a biotch. :p

You'll get no more than standard over the air HD since HBO-HD etc. are digital.

Stan M
Unregistered guest
When I called about cable card, HBO, Showtime, and other similar movie channels did have extra fees. The included channels of HD for $4.85 were the local channels, Discovery, and ESPN. They did say I would lose onscreen channel guide and pay per view. For these I would need the box and if I wanted to record HD material. I guess I'm waiting for more people to install the card because there is confusion as to how they work and features that will be lost. Also, somehow I get the local stations in HD for free so I might as well enjoy it while it lasts.

Unregistered guest
I have basic analog cable from Comcast, and i had a friend that added Broadband Internet then canceled the analog from his account but he still gets his analog cable channels. He insists that since the Broadband Internet is fed through the same cable thats why he still gets the channels even though he canceled it on his account. Is this true or is this jus an oversight by Comcast.

Anonymous

Last year I cancelled analog cable when I got broadband from Comcast. I got free cable tv for almost 6 months. When I woke up Jan 1st this year, the free cable was gone. Tell your friend to enjoy until they catch on.

Waytoowicked
Unregistered guest
Anybody see this issue...? I have a Comcast Digital DVR and have been using it through RCA cbls to a non-HDTV TV and it's been working fine. I just purchased an HDTV ready projector and hooked it up with DVI cables and wow what a picture. The problem is... now when I switch the cords back to RCA the menu screen won't come up to control the channels, etc. Did the DVI cable cause the box to change some type of programming? Due to where I need to mount the projector I will need to use RCA (distance). What do I do?

Anonymous

Hi there,

I have Comcast digital cable in San Francisco with one rented cable box for my living room. I'd like to buy a box for the line leading to my bedroom (so I don't have endless rental fees).

Would this work? Do I need to get Comcast to program the second box for me, or can I just plug it in? What box should I buy? Would a TIVO box work?

Thanks very much for your help!

Mikropolis
Unregistered guest
I have an RCA DLP with built in HD. It is in the basement and my attempts at using an antenna were futile. However, I only have analogue cable and with the newly installed card I receive the networks and PBS on HD. For Discovery and ESPN I have to pay extra. I didn't realize that the networks don't do HDTV 24/7, but when they do-wow!!!!!

CABLEDAWG
Unregistered guest
ok...lets answer everyone...if you buy a box off of ebay...YES YOUR CABLE COMPANY MUST BE CALLED...THEY MUST INPUT YOUR BOX INTO THIER INVENTORY...IF THEY ALLOW THAT...Cable Cards...YES, YOU LOSE YOUR PROGRAM GUIDE AND ANYTHING INTERACTIVE SUCH AS ON-DEMAND...splitting from one box to another...NO, YOUR NEW BOX WON'T TALK TO YOUR OLD BOX TO FIND OUT YOUR PROGRAMMING...CALL THE CABLE CO...bad signal now that I switched to HD...NO IT DIDN'T GET WORSE, YOUR TV GOT BETTER AND YOU NEVER NOTICED IT BEFORE...if you have an old box and you put a filter on it...NO IT WON'T WORK FOR LONG, SORRY...IT HAS A DISCONNECT HIT ON IT AND WHEN IT DOESN'T RECIEVE A PROVISIONING HIT...BYE BYE...

ANYTHING ELSE?

skipc
Unregistered guest
i ordered basic basic cable just the local channels but when they hooked it up i received a few more....channels....with out a box......then the other day they were gone.....i was wondering if those cable filters on ebay would work on descrambling back those few channels with out a box.......basically all i want back is the discovery channel.............help

skipc
Unregistered guest
i ordered basic basic cable just the local channels but when they hooked it up i received a few more....channels....with out a box......then the other day they were gone.....i was wondering if those cable filters on ebay would work on descrambling back those few channels with out a box.......basically all i want back is the discovery channel.............help

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
skipc,

I had a novel thought, why not try paying for the cable channels you want like the rest of the honest posters on this forum?

xvxvxvx

Mikropolis
Unregistered guest
A Comcast update: after three visits by bewildered service guys who were cluelesss about the card, I now get the networks plus ESPN and Discover in HD. In addition are a couple of bonus HD channels that keep on repeating the same Earth Wind & Fire/Chicago concert. Finally, I get most of the digital stations. All of this with the card plus the standard cable connection. No boxes at all. The digital cable by the way comes in no clearer than the other channels, but the HD on my RCA 50" dlp is stunning.

Unregistered guest
How do I get the audio signal for my DVD and VCR players from my Comcast DCT5100 box back to my HD Plasma TV? I have a DVI cable right now going from the box to the TV. Thet are telling me that the audio inputs and outputs are useless at this time on the cable Hi def box. Is that true?

Anonymous

I have a second digital box. Is there a way to ghost the original box serial number to get it to work

Anonymous

I have a second digital box. Is there a way to ghost the original box serial number to get it to work?

obinna
Unregistered guest
i am a nigerian.i want to know if there could be any circuit that can be receiving cable station.right here in the country.if there is then please send it to me.

Username: Ellen

Post Number: 1
OK, so here is what I have: Comcast digital cable and internet. The signal is split right when it comes into the house with one cable going to the cable modem and the other to the digital box. From what I was reading on this board I should be able to split the signal going to the TV to hook another TV up to the cable (just analog, don't need digital on that set). Here's the problem... I live in a rental, so drilling holes is out of the question, and I don't think that my roommates would appreciate cords being run the entire length of the house. Is it possible to hook the new cable split up to a wireless video sender and then have the reciever on the TV that is in my room? Would the sender have to have a remote extender on it too for me to control the signal? Does it matter that the signal is not first going through a TV before being sent? I don't want to have the TV in my room just be a slave to the one with the digital box, so don't want to hook the wireless video sender up to that. Not even sure if this will work, but if it could I might consider investing in one so that I have more that just cruddy antenna reception in my room.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 47
Ellen,

you said " Is it possible to hook a new cable split up to a wireless video sender and then have the receiver on the TV in your room?" No, and here's why: Per FCC requirements, all cable companies have to comply with signal leakage policies. If you transmit raw analog cable via wireless anything you will create a servere signal leakage, and can guarentee somebody will be knocking on your door from the cable co, wanting to know why your apartment is causing the leak. Leakage has to be controlled because of air traffic controllers being able to communicate with planes in the air, and too much cable leaking into the air can cause disruption of their communications. Cable companies can be fined and even shut down if the leakage is too great.
There are two options you have available:
1. have somebody, electrician or cable company come out and run a wire under the carpeting (make sure they avoid stabbing the cable wire with the carpet tacks, that's usually a good way to short out the line)
2. Get the wire custom installed through the walls. (this usually requires a letter of permission from the landlord or property management)
Any video relay equipment you use to send to another location, would have to be from the output of the STB in the other room and hence being a slave to what's being watched in the room where the STB is located, and not what you are after.
If somebody know's a better way, I open to suggestions as well.

beenthereb4
Unregistered guest
If you are just going from one adjoining room to another, poking a hole through drywall is not that big a deal, not much worse than hanging pictures on a wall. Comcast will do a simple install with decorative faceplate for 29.95 in Chicago area. Your landlord may even like the value you are adding to his unit with a second cable outlet if done properly.

Username: Zonacat

I am with Comcast and have an 3-4 year old Motorola "Digital Cable" - the box has the "Dolby Digital" logo on the front. - Question how do I get this signal to my Onkyo SR602 AV receiver? The box has no digital out connections, only standard RCA.

TIA

Anonymous

Ellen,
In the UK it is very easy using Labgear Satelink which sends a television signal wirelessly. The technology is simple and I am sure the US has the same gadgets. (If you can run a cable, you can split off the main cable and send analog to other tvs using cables and be independant of the box, sans the extra goodies from the box).

P. Eduza
Unregistered guest
Article from pcpowerzone:
"Wireless Cable TV kit allows the user to transmit cable TV channels to any room in the home. You can even transmit cable TV outside to a remote location within a 300 foot range. Simply connect the transmitter to the incoming cable for your cable provider via a cable splitter (provided) and connect the receiver to your TV, Computer, or video source. You can change the channels while viewing via the RF remote control.

The HOT NEW CATV2400 Wireless Cable TV system (Patent Pending) is one of the hottest new electronic product for 2004. The systems includes all necessary items to transmits cable TV channels to any room in your home provided you have Cable TV service from a local provider. This system is self contained and works completely independent of your other TVs'. In other words, you can watch any channel on the remote TV and watch any other channel on your other TVs'."
Anyone with experience on this?

Bronze Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 49
Thanks for the info Eduza, now to see if the "company" will allow me to purchase one and check out the specs and see what problems they create lol.

Donny W
Unregistered guest
HDTV but no analog channels...
I would love a solution to this problem:

I have Comcast digital cable. Here's my setup: Comcast DVR box connected via component video and optical audio to Sony 6.1 receiver. Component output from receiver is connected to 56" Panasonic HDTV.

The handful of HDTV channels I receive are beautiful, crystal clear. All other channels give me a scrambled black mess. Audio is fine, however.

Progressive scan Sony DVD player is attached to the receiver via component cables. Utilizes the same component video out of the receiver into the HDTV, again, beautiful, crisp images and audio.

I originally thought the problem was with the cable box, so I switched to another one. However, I have the same problem.

The only way I can view non-HDTV channels is through an S-video cable connected directly from the cable box to the TV. But I would like to be able to view all my channels through the same component output of the cable box rather than have to deal with two different outputs.

So is the problem with the cable box? Did I just get two duds? Or is there a problem with my receiver? By the way, the problem occurs whether I am viewing live TV or shows saved by the DVR (recorded HDTV shows can be viewed via component cables, but recorded non-HDTV shows must be viewed through S-video cable). Are these boxes just unable to transmit non-HDTV signals through the component cables?

Any insights to this mystery would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Tonytiger

PA US

Post Number: 110
Do other TV's receive the analog channels 1-99 okay?

Unregistered guest
I'm currenting paying about a hundred million dollars a month to Comcast for full digital, HDTV, DVR, and internet.

This tiered thing is killing me....
It seems to me one needs limited cable, expanded basic cable, a digital silver package (minimum) to FINALLY be able to receive local HDTV broadcasts. By then I'm out almost $100 bucks a month just to receive local, digital networks.

My question is is there a way to receive local hdtv content over comcast cable without having to go to the poor house?

C Edward K
Unregistered guest
I just bought the Samsung 42" plasma EDTV. It's digital cable ready and has the optional cableCARD slot. I'm considering getting the cableCARD from Comcast and paying extra for digital cable even though it only adds about 15 channels of mostly uninteresting programming. My question is...Will the cableCARD improve the reception of non-digital cable channels. That is, will basic cable channels like local NBC and Fox look better by having the cableCARD installed?

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 103
C. Edward K

Yes

Mikropolis
Unregistered guest
My regular cable channels did not improve after installing the cable card and receiving the digital channels (card installed only- no boxes, and a regular analog connection). My TV is a DLP. Only the HDTV channels came in with more clarity.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 105
Have the cable co check your signal strength, there is a noticable difference viewing analog straight through the TV vs STB.

Donny W
Unregistered guest
HDTV but no analog channels...
From 4-22-05

Not sure if the question about channels 1-99 was for my problem or not, but there are two other tvs in the house. One is hooked up to a non-DVR regular digital cable box, and works fine for all channels that I have tested. The second TV is a 6-7 year-old 20inch tv and I have the cable co-ax going directly into the tv without the box. I was hoping to get all the basic channels from this setup, but for whatever reason, I only get a few channels and they aren't in sequence: for example, it goes to 2, 5, 7, 15, 27, etc. and not all the channels actually have an image. I haven't quite figured out this TV yet, have it running on rabbit ears for the time being.

r2shy_you
Unregistered guest
Hey there,

I live in a house with 5 other people and we have two cable boxes from Comcast (one regular digital and one DVR).

I'm thinking about getting a third for myself in my room but I don't have a TV.

I was wondering if it's possible to hook up a cable box directly to my computer (via S-Video and RCA audio...or whatever else would work)?

If so, what is the best method for doing this and would there be any particular software I would require?

Thanks,

r2shy_you

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 113
Donny, make sure the TV is in the cable mode and do an auto program or channel scan, this should fix your problem.

Username: Bxga

Marietta, Ga USA

After 7 years with Direct Tv, I'm gonna give digital cable a try. I'm in the Atlanta area and would like to know which digital receiver they're
providing with setup so I can do some research. Also has anyone taken this $400 credit plan and do they actually take your dish and receivers?
Thanks in Advance

Peas
Unregistered guest
Doug,

Why not just call them and ask? These type questions always amaze me. Of course I am easily amazed!

Please no excuses like the cable company doesn't know. If they don't know how could we?

Besides they only offer one channel in High Definition and that is ABC.

You can always e-mail them from this page:

http://www.comcast.com/ContactUs/customerservice.asp

Peas

alan w
Unregistered guest
I have what might be a really dumb question. Someone gave a digital cable box to me. I already have dig cable in my house, but thought for fun I'd hook the new box in to see if it would work on another tv. When I plug it in and turn it on, the signal comes up and the guide works...but the screen is black...any solutions for this? thanks!

Username: Sunshine420

I currently have digital cable set up in my living room. I also have a splitter connecting my living room tv to my bedroom tv but for some reason my bedroom tv is only picking up super basic channels.

Any advice as to what device I could purchase in order to recieve all digital channels in my bedroom tv?

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 131
another STB (cable box), which you can only get from the cable company. Unless you want to split the output of the STB to feed both TV's, then you can watch what's on the other TV, but can't watch a different channel.

hyc
Unregistered guest
What is the channel allocation for digital cable?

I have Comcast basic/analog and high speed internet. I've noticed persistent interference on a number of channels recently, since about the beginning of this year, and my suspicion is that the interference is coming from digital cable traffic.

I recently bought an HDTV tuner card for my PC (just to see if it's worth the trouble) and it doesn't detect any HD channels on my cable. It also only tunes channels 1-125, so I don't get where all these "channel 500" etc. channel numbers are coming from.

Where are all of these digital channels, are they just heavily compressed so they can fit several in to an old 6MHz channel space? And since I don't see any advantage to dumping analog yet, is there anything I can do to get a clean picture back on the analog channels that I'm paying for?

flyback
Unregistered guest
Digital cable uses a different modulation standard from over-the-air HDTV, such that it's likely that your HDTV tuner card can't pick up the signals. The data is the same MPEG-2 encoded video and audio, but it's being transmitted using QAM instead of 8VSB. Digital cable is also still channelized in 6MHz channels, but several digital programs are broadcast on each carrier; these are the ones assigned higher channel numbers on your box.

I don't know what would be causing the interference you're seeing on analog channels, other than the cable company gradually moving channels over to digital to make room for more networks or for more Internet traffic. In that case, you should see no signal instead of fuzzy or staticy signal on those channels. If the cable system is operated correctly, there shouldn't be co-interference between channels. Corroded connectors within your home are one possible cause of interference you could check; any corrosion has the potential of acting as a diode.

On the other hand, your HDTV tuner should work fine with over-the-air HDTV, and all you'd need is a small UHF antenna to pick up local (in-city) channels; maybe $20 at Radio Shack for a test. How about trying that out?

RGS/PVC
Unregistered guest
HOW MUCH DO THE CABLE CARDS COST?
UNSATISIFED WITH CABLE BOX AND PICTURE CLARITY
AMONG OTHER THINGS.

Mikropolis
Unregistered guest
With Comcast it is supposed to be free, but you pay for installation, plus a variable monthly fee depending on what digital/HDTV channels you receive. One disadvantage as I have found out is that if you use a cable card instead of a box, you can only tape programs with the tv and the specific channel turned on. There is no independent tuner.

Unregistered guest
OK...PEOPLE PEOPLE PEOPLE. Some of the posts on this page are just insane. First of all if you people would read previous posts you could get most of the answers to your questions. Secondly, some settings and availablity of services will vary depending on your service provider. Not all digital cable means that Comcast (Crapcast) provides it, so your settings will vary. Secondly dont do something stupid like buy a digital cable box off ebay and expect it to work beacuse it wont, your service providor has to activate it and they wont if it isnt rented and approved by them. Thirdly, if you split your cable signal too many times and you have digital or analog you WILL GET SIGNAL DEGREGATION. The way to remedy this is to call your service providor and have a cable amp installed and or go to an electronics store and buy one and install it yourself. Your service provider's equipment is ususally the best way to go, however it may cost you more. But depending on your situation comcast may install a line amp for free....they did for me.
Fourthly, comcast high speed internet has nothing to do with the digital cable system. If you have cable internet it doesnt mean you have digital cable, there is no way to try and trick the system...so dont try. Agreeing with another poster on this site, comcast has in fact mastered the art of combining two or more signals into one coaxal line.
Fifthly, if you subscribe to HDTV you will need to get a converter box from your service provider, like a Comcast HDTV Digital box to allow you to access those channels. Getting HDTV does not mean that every channel you had is now HDTV, only the few that your service provider offers are going to be HDTV. So if you think about it, going out and buying a $2,000 dollar television and subscribing to a $60 or more dollar per month charge for HDTV, its not worth it when there are only about 10 hdtv channels available across the country.

All in all, the most effective way to solve all of your problems are to call your service provider and ask them what they can do for you. If you dont know much about cable systems or cable company's have someone call for you, so you dont get tricked into paying way more than you should be. As well, dont try to trick the cable system by BUYING the digital boxes, it doesnt and will not ever work, you are basically purchasing a rather bulky paper weight.

And....for those of you that are fresh out of college and like to brag about how they have CS degrees and start pulling stuff out of their A&& that is completely wrong....you may want to go back to college and read the book next time.

Im here to help whoever would need assistance with their cable issues. Write me an email if you want. Willgatlin@hotmail.com

Unregistered guest
Look people, I am trying to hook my new lcd monitor up to a cable box, but I need to find one with dvi, s-video, component, or composite out. Is it possible to use a digital cable box with non-digital cable? Thanks

Anonymous

I have Comcast "Limited Basic" ($17/month) and cable internet ($45/month) in the San Francisco bay area and use a Sony DHG-HDD250 [ http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_Display ProductInformation-Start?CategoryName=tvhav_HDDVRs&ProductSKU=DHGHDD250&TabName= feature ] DVR as my cable and OTA receiver.

The Sony recognized many digital stations off cable even though I don't have their digital service!

I get all 5 KQED stations, KTVU-DT, KGO-DT, KGO+, (KRON-DT is missing, but can get them OTA), KCNS-DT, KPIX-DT, KNTV-DT, KBWB-DT, KBHK-DT, KCSM-DT, INHD, INHD2, D-HDTV (discovery) and can even grab other peoples OnDemand broadcasts (102.X)! Not to mention all the "music choice" stations, too. And I don't have a CableCard, yet...

Don't pay for the service, if all they're giving you is a compatible receiver. All you need to do is get a compatible receiver on your own.

fx
Unregistered guest
Great post above by Will Gatlin! The only exeption would be: "Fifthly, if you subscribe to HDTV you will need to get a converter box from your service provider, like a Comcast HDTV Digital box to allow you to access those channels."

If your display has an internal QAM tuner you will not need a cable box or cablecard to get unscrambled HD stations. Most cable companies broadcast your local HD channels in the clear. This normally does not include ESPNHD nor DiscoveryHD but that is up to your local cable provider. It will probably not include HBOHD, STARZHD or MAXHD as these are nearly always subscription only channels and are therefore scrambled.

xvxvxvx

Silver Member
Username: Kdog044

Post Number: 157
Take Anonymous's post with a grain of salt. I also have Comcast and integrated tuners with my set and until I got my cable card the only HD channels I could pick up were NBC, CBS, FOX and ESPN. I could not pick up INHD1, INHD2, DISC-HD, ABC, TNT-HD, PBS-HD or HBO-HD.

The other difficult part is there is no published guide for where the channels will be and the only way to find them is to use your remote and the channel up button to find them. They can be anywhere from 1> and 1-15 subchannels. For example, CBS for me was at 76-1. ESPN was at 114-1. Yours could be 88-15 and 150-8.

Anonymous

Kdog: agreed. The channel assignments are all over the map and not "normal" as per the cable company lineup. Ex. ESPN-HD was found at 0.0, not 723.

It took a little work to reassign everything so "TV Guide On Screen" was correct, but that's not a big deal.

Autoscan did a fine job finding those "in the clear" QAM stations off cable.

mac853264
Unregistered guest
I installed a DVI cable on the motorola 6412 to my HDTV and I lost my menu, tv guide and list abilities. How can I get them back as I have some shows on the hard drive that I can not get to now.

fx
Unregistered guest
Put your component cables back on!

xvxvxvx

Mike Hohman
Unregistered guest
I have Motorola Dual-Tuner DVR High-Definition Set-Top DCT6412. It has a DVI Out port on the back. I want to run a DVI cable from this port to my PC and record programming.

Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Thanks!!

fx
Unregistered guest
You cannot via the DVI. There is a process to record non copy protected programming through a firewire cable. Since I have no need to do this I never bothered to learn the process nor to download the software required.

xvxvxvx

Mike Hohman
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the help, appreciate it!

Seems to me that if you had a Video Capture Card with a DVI In port on it, like the MyHD MDP-130 from Ram Electronics

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/hdtv-cards.html

then you could record via the DVI port in pure digital format. Was hoping someone had some experience with this.

I will pursure the FireWire though. Thanks!

CP
Unregistered guest
I'm sending this question to the forum and Will Gatlin. Will because of his obvious knowledge on the subject and his permission to email him directly. I have a Toshiba Tivo that a neighbor connected for me a couple of weeks ago. There are a few problems but the biggest one seems to be, how the channels change by themself. The Tivo forum talks about this being eliminated by connecting the system to a serial connection (rather than the IR blaster). I scanned through most of the posts here and didn't find that topic addressed. I'm wondering if anyone has any information to substantiate the Tivo claim and if so, should I contact Comcast to see about exchanging cable boxes. Thanks in advance for any help with this issue.

Darkly Noon
Unregistered guest
The "fiery gold III" tv tuner card is qam 64 capable. Its only about 300 bux. I think its one of the only ones out there available in the u.s. If there are others please let me know.

Johnny rabbleseed!
Unregistered guest
SSteaal from the corporations!! Whenever possible.. forever..
"let the circle of free cable remain unbroken!!"
there will alwaays be a way to hack the system
signal information is your right!! demand freedom of public and published information.
don't listen to the lies of the brainwashed sheeple and cable agents!! they want you to sell your soul to the corporation like they have and buy it back plus interest!! MAKE FREEdom ring!!

Username: Bebeblues

Hi I have 2 digital cable boxes from Comcast that I pay for. The room that the cable comes into the house in...that box works fine (room 1). The second box (there is a satelite splitter and wiring through attic to second room) does not pick up all the digital channels (room 2). I tried switching boxes to see if it was the box and both boxes work in room 1. The cable rep I spoke to was not very helpful, said to come in an exchange boxes. Well I have already done this once...any suggestions? The guy at radio shack suggested a cable signal booster. I'd appreciate any advise or suggestions you can give me. Thanks in advance :o)

Corinna

DC in CO
Unregistered guest
My house is "wired" for cable, yet when I plug in a set in my home office, there is no reception. It's an old cable ready Sony Trinitron, no VCR, directly into the wall. Any help is appreciated. DC

moe53
Unregistered guest
hello I have comcast cable service and rent from them a motorola digital box model dct2244/1161 abcdef Is there a way to receive the music without using the cable box? or a after market box that I could use just to receive the music channels for my stereo? I pay for the service now but realy don't want to rent another box just for music
Thank you
Moe

Anonymous

How do I get better sound with my new HDTV? What is the Digital Optical wire do? How do I get the 5.1 Dolby? Also, I have a Comcast box that is mine and NOT rented. Why am I charged and and I dont get HBO which is what I get in the 1st room so why dont I get it on the 2nd box? They cant charge for a 2nd box if they dont give me all the channels I sudscribe to. How much for Comcast HDTV for everything and I have HDTV tuner Built-in? Help with all questions.

Unregistered guest
Comcast Question???
If i get comcast limited basic service, does that mean that the rest of the analog stations (espn, cnn, comedy...etc) will be sent also, only scrambled, allowing me to buy a cable box on ebay and essentially have all "expanded basic" channells?

Bronze Member
Username: Rf186

Post Number: 17
Anon, the optical or toslink connection transmits a digital audio signal and is the only way to transmit true surround sound besides using a hdmi connection (which transfers digital audio & video). Comcast charges me an extra $5 (over the regular digital cable fee) for the hd box, if you have digital cable you just need an hd box (or a cable card) to decode the hd channels.

Bronze Member
Username: Rf186

Post Number: 18
moe53, you can use a "after market" box to receive the digital music channels.

moe53
Unregistered guest
Reuben can you tell me what models and make after market boxes will work with my system and where to buy this box thanks
moe53

moe53
Unregistered guest
I got a General Instrument Comcast Digital Receiver Box 2224 but that box skips channels in the 200 range is there a way to reset it? I have tried holding the power and guide button while pluging in the power with no luck.Can anyone tell me the differance between model 2224 and 2244 thanks agaim
Moe53

snewk11
Unregistered guest
I just bought a Phillips HDTV and connected it to my Comcast analog cable with coax. I switched the TV to digital one day and found digital channels were being displayed. The channels are like 101.24, 101.25, etc. but on one channel is the local ABC affiliate. I watched MNF last night on what appeared to be HDTV. It was the best picture I have ever seen. Could this be some sort of feed through or what?

Anonymous

snewk11 -- all abc affiliates are now broadcasting in HD. You can watch HDTV with a regular antenna with your HDTV, but Cable is currently not required to broadcast channels in HD (even if they are available.)

Anonymous

Was this question answered? If so what was the resolution? I have the exact same problem.

Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 10:20 am:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have what might be a really dumb question. Someone gave a digital cable box to me. I already have dig cable in my house, but thought for fun I'd hook the new box in to see if it would work on another tv. When I plug it in and turn it on, the signal comes up and the guide works...but the screen is black...any solutions for this? thanks!

snewk11
Unregistered guest
Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I don't have an external antenna on the TV. I do not subscribe to digital cable. My TV is connected by Coax to regular cable. When I switch the TV to digital mode I get what appears to be HDTV on some channels, like ABC Monday night football. My question is this: Is my TV somehow acting as a digital cable box. It must all come over the same cable, analog and digital, the box probably rearranges the channels. I do not get ALL of the channels though.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 323
Most cable providers pass along "clear to air" local HD channels, straight through your cable lines. There is nothing that you are seeing on your TV, that you shouldn't be seeing. If you're TV has an integrated digital tuner, you will be able to see all unencrypted digital and HD channels (depending on your cable provider)

snewk11
Unregistered guest
https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=448341#POST448341
Thanks. So what does the HD box do that they rent for $5/ month? The TV does have a digital tuner.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 327
The HD box would allow you access to encrypted channels, like HBO, Cinemax etc..digital channels like discovery kids, espn classics, speed channel etc... Pay Per Views and Movies on Demand, and also pay HD channels like DiscoveryHD,TNTHD,INDHD1 and 2 etc..etc.. If you already have standard analog service and should be getting the local clear to air HD channels, the only reason you would need a converter(or cablecard) would be to view premium service channels or PPV, MOD.

snewk11
Unregistered guest
Thanks again. The digital channels I am able to receive are 82.4, 101.2, 81.3 and so on, so the box that the cable company rents to you must move them around, because in the TV guide they are 101, 102, etc. Local Channel 4 is 104 and on my set it is like 81.4. Some Channels in the digital seem to come and go also, but the locals are always there. Now, if flat screens will continue to come down in price. . . . . .

Anonymous

Question surrounding 5.1 surround sound from SF Comcast HDTV Cable.

I believe the only way to get the 5.1 surround feature is to use the fiber optic output from the DVR box, but I cannot get the signal to work. Anyone have any idea as to why I can't get 5.1 sound? It works from my DVD player, but not this box. I subscribe to HBO and even when it says it is being broadcast in 5.1 I don't get anything. Comcast is clueless - help!

fx
Unregistered guest
Every cable box will have menu settings that determine the audio output format. The choices are usually:

1) Analog
2) PCM
3) DD 5.1

What type of STB do you have? If it is a Motorola please supply the model number and I can walk you through the settings.

You are correct that you either need to use the toslink or coaxial audio output connections to receive DD 5.1 sound.

xvxvxvx

Username: Campbb

Los Angeles, Ca USA

I am a new member. Please forgive me if this issue has already been addressed. I just got an LG HDTV. I have a Motorola digital Comcast box and I subscribe to the full digital package. I also have Tivo attached to this TV. The Tivo is more important than getting the HD signal, but my question is this: If I go through Comcast and get an HD capable box and subscribe to the HD channels, will I be able to use different inputs to get both HDTV and Tivo? I am not trying to get Tivo to record in HD. I just want to be able to occasionally watch HD and still have the Tivo function as it does now. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks

JScottB
Unregistered guest
OK, any one heard this before. I called Comcast to add a second box so I could get digital service (NHL Center Ice - it's a must!) in another room. First they told me it was $4.80/month, then when I called back they said the other guy was wrong - it's $4.80 for an analog box, but it's $9.95/month for a digital box. Am I getting ewdscra'd?

Username: Moe53

jscottb
call again and when you hear what you want lock it in with a order. You could call five time and get 3 different answers

wredfern
Unregistered guest
Help! I just got HDTV Comcast. Last week I got the Sony 34" xbr and my comcast digital cable looked like crap right away. Now that the hdtv is hooked up, those channels look great -- but how can i improve the 85% of channels that are worse than before? Do i rewire the whole cable thing ? will that really help if the cable from my house to the comcast network sucks? do i pay comcast to come rewire my house? any devices to strenghthen and clean the signal? up until thet power strip everything is regular cable wire, then everything plugs into the monster electric surge protector and conditioner... so everything is fine from there I bet-- including the cable which goes into that. argh... did i just blow thousands of bucks for a bad signal most of the time?

Buddha44
Unregistered guest
wredfern,
The problem does not lie in your comcast cable setup. The problem is in the anolog decoder that Motorola uses for the HDTV set top box. If you cannot stand that fuzzyness on all of your basic cable channels before 100, the just plug in your normal cable to your TV and your basic channels will look great again, and use the other port for HD, Digital Cable channels. What I mean is that you plug the normal cable into ur tuner and use Component/DVI for HD, Digital Channels. That is the easiest fix for this problem. If your Sony LCD TV has a cable card slot tell Comcast and they will send you a cablecard for HD, Digital Cable. But other than that everyone is kind of screwed. Including myself, which sucks.

Unregistered guest
Buddha44, I have a Sony Wega 27"
If you run the normal cable to the TV, where do the component cables get their signal???

How does the Motorola 6200 HD receiver receive the HD signal to pass on ? I don't get it.

Can we get a splitter for the Motorola so that the cable goes, one end into the tv and one end into the Motorola?

Currently I have component cables from Motorola 6200 into TV and the normal cable goes into a dvd recorder (which does record On Demand that way).

I really dislike the 85% of standard stations that now look a bit gross compared to pre-HDTV.

Anonymous

How does a cheater box; digital set top box purchase off of ebay work? And why wouldn't they work for long? In otherwords what are hackers doing to make them work temporarily? And what are cable companies doing to identify these type of boxes?

Unregistered guest
I've got digital Comcast and all that fun stuff. This goes from my modem to our digital cable box and works fine with our tv.

I have another tv in my bedroom as have been wanting to get digital cable on that television as well. I have managed to get my hands on another digital cable box and have hooked it into that cable loop but am not able to receive any channels, let alone the digital ones. Without the added box, I get basic stations.

What can I do to get my digital cable in both rooms?
Please respond to scrapsgohere@gmail.com.

Thank you kind tech geniuses!

JUGALLO
Unregistered guest
THINKING ABOU BUYING DIGITAL CABLE FILTER DO THEY WORK? AND WHAT ARE THE PROS AND CONS?

yoshitv
Unregistered guest
I recently purchased a samsung 42" widescreen DLP hdtv. i believe it has an hdtv tuner. currently i am suscribed to full standard service. i do, though, recieve hd crystal clear local channels (FOX, CBS, ABC, NBC, PBS) and I also recieve numerous digital music channels. ALso, somehow i get starz comedy and showtime too.
i don't think i recieve espn hd though. that is what i would like to recieve. is there a way i can get that without suscribing to digital cable, such as a cable card. will the cableCard give me additional channels on my standard cable. how much would comcast charge me for the card.

Dbaseball30
Unregistered guest
Has anyone heard of a digital cable cheater box yet? I know that they have cheater boxes for the analog, but I have yet to find a digital cable cheater box. If anyone knows of this please let me know.

tv watcher
Unregistered guest
Before we go any further, I'm a cheap skate...I'm switching over from satellite. I plan to subscribe to Comcast Digital Basic ($65/mo), HD ($5/mo) and DVR ($10/mo). I have four TV sets...I don't want to pay the extra $22/mo for 3 more decoder boxes. Can I get away w/ buying 2 digital Comcast boxes and a DCT6200 on eBay and hooking up myself. If I bought a Motorola DCT6412 (HD/DVR box), would I even have to pay the $15/mo for HD and DVR?

ATLL1
Unregistered guest
Actually, if you split the cable and connect one end to the analog tuner and the other to the digital tuner on the back of your television you can receive both digital and analog signals. And because your television has HD you will also receive any programming that's broadcasted in HD. However, you must do a channel search on both tuners.

Unregistered guest
CAN ANYONE BE CLEAR....PLEASE???? I have Comcast internet cable service. My TV cable service is analog but it comes with SHO,HBO,CINMX, etc. If I buy my own digital box, will I be able to get digital cable service.

Username: Xoxo

OK, I'm sure one of you guys is smart enough to figure this out. I have a Sony KD-34XBR960 with a QAM tuner. With Comcast digital cable connected strait from the wall to the cable side tuner of the TV (it also has an input for antenna), when I do a auto programming scan, it finds over 200 digital stations. However, Sony only "shows" 10 or so channels. Meaning that these are the only 10 that are "clear to air" (or unscrambled).

CHALLENGE: There must be a tuner out there (or a hack to the Sony QAM tuner ) that can unscramble and display the 200 digital stations that Comcast is sending. I'm sure one of you guys probably has an answer. If there's a Sony engineer out there, is there a way to update the software/firmware of these tuners similar to how wifi routers firmware can be upgraded). Anyone have any thoughts?

Unregistered guest
I have an HDTV in my living room connected to a Comcast digital cable receiver. Due to the configurations of my apartment, I cannot get a hard wired connection put in my bedroom. I was wondering if it is possible to wirelessly transmit the tv signal from the living room digital cable tuner box to the bedroom. If so, what would I need to buy and where could I find it. I basically would just want to be able to watch tv while in bed, with a decent picture.

Thanks for your help.

derek121212
Unregistered guest
i got a general nstruments dct receiver from comcast that someone used, but they moved....i dont even pay for cable and already get basic channels, and i just plugged the cable in the back of it and i have more channels than i did and i am even able to order on demand movies and stuff!?!?! will they catch on, and who would get charged???

Tstatguy
Unregistered guest
yeah you can get the rest with a cable card inserted into the back of the TV.
But that also means they know what you are watching and will charge for that.
QAM TUNER

Tstatguy
Unregistered guest
yeah you can get the rest with a cable card inserted into the back of the TV.
But that also means they know what you are watching and will charge for that.
QAM TUNER

franky_L
Unregistered guest
im using my friends HDTV box at my house and it works great, he's paying for the rental and stuff.. im just wondering if theres anyway my cable operator can detect this and shut it down?
thanx alot..
frank

Username: Noise_is_good

I traded my Comcast digital cable box for an HD/DVR. Figured it would be an easy install. Take off the old & put it on the new. But, of course, that never works out. I don't get any audio. I have a TiVo and the stuff recorded on its HD plays back vid & audio just fine. But no audio from any other sources, including DVD, DVD recorder, CD, phono, etc. Another quirk is the new Comcast remote doesn't recognize individual channels other than premiums and HD. I can channel up or down, but I cannot enter a number on the keypad and have it jump to that channel. The numbers do appear on the TV screen and the box display for a second. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Username: Noise_is_good

Post Number: 2
I traded my Comcast digital cable box for an HD/DVR. Figured it would be an easy install. Take off the old & put it on the new. But, of course, that never works out. I don't get any audio. I have a TiVo and the stuff recorded on its HD plays back vid & audio just fine. But no audio from any other sources, including DVD, DVD recorder, CD, phono, etc. Another quirk is the new Comcast remote doesn't recognize individual channels other than premiums and HD. I can channel up or down, but I cannot enter a number on the keypad and have it jump to that channel. The numbers do appear on the TV screen and the box display for a second. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Unregistered guest
I just got an LG HDTV. I have a Motorola digital Comcast box and I subscribe to the full digital package. I also have Tivo attached to this TV. I am trying to set up my Tivo on the analog channels by splitting the cable line and keeping my digital cable as is. However, the analog channels I receive is not the normal basic cable channels and alot of them are scrambled and don't come in clear. Am I doing something wrong with the analog line? If you can help me, please respond to scott.whittle@gmail.com. Thanks for your help

Unregistered guest
I have Comcast digital classic service with a digital Motorola box and basic cable service. I've been getting the expanded basic stations (24-99) for free since Comcast has not put a filter from the street. They just recently blocked these expanded basic stations going through the digital box but I still get them on my other two TVs hooked up to cable. I tried splitting the digital signal to go into the cable box and my DVD/VCR. I get the channels through the DVD/VCR, however, I can't get any signal going through the box when using the splitter. Anyone know a solutions so I can get the digital channels and On-Demand through the digial box and also use my DVD/VCR to get the expanded basic (#24-99)? Thanks. Please email me at bullseyecomm@hotmail.com.

Unregistered guest
I have Comcast digital classic service with a digital Motorola box and basic cable service. I've been getting the expanded basic stations (24-99) for free since Comcast has not put a filter from the street. They just recently blocked these expanded basic stations going through the digital box but I still get them on my other two TVs hooked up to cable. I tried splitting the digital signal to go into the cable box and my DVD/VCR. I get the channels through the DVD/VCR, however, I can't get any signal going through the box when using the splitter. Anyone know a solutions so I can get the digital channels and On-Demand through the digial box and also use my DVD/VCR to get the expanded basic (#24-99)? Thanks. Please email me at bullseyecomm@hotmail.com.

Unregistered guest

Unregistered guest
Here's my question. I think I might have read the answer, but Im not sure and a major n00b to the whole HDTV thing. I plan on purchasing a HDTV ready LCD for my office to use as a monitor / hdtv. It is a Westinghouse LTV-27w2 27" LCD TV. Some of the specs of the tv are:

A/V (Composite), Analog Coaxial(RF), Component Video, DVI, HDMI, S-Video, VGA, Built in QAM Tuner

NO BUILT IN HDTV Tuner

Downstairs in my living room I have a large projection tv with a Motorola Digital Cable box (I have basic digital cable, as well as basic cable upstairs) Up here where my office is, I have a cable line coming in which is split, one to my cable modem (comcast digital cable) and one end to my Hauppauge PVR card.

Im not really interested in all those "discovery HD', etc channels, just Fox, ABC, NBC, ESPN...apparently FREE HDTV channels from what I've taken on here. My question is, will I be able to take this cable line i have running into my office, split the one and and plug it into my monitor/lcd tv via the analog coaxial and get those free HDTV channels, or do I HAVE to get a HD box up here for my office? I am assuming that since all those signals come through one line, and this TV has a QAM tuner, I could just plug it in, scan for channels, and have those free HDTV channels. This Correct? thanks for ANY help!

erenshte
Unregistered guest
I just bought Toshiba Plasma HD. Comcast technician installed CableCard and everything works fine, except TV Guide that is build into TV
and needs a setup. After setting it up I was prompted to enter Comcast CableCard model (there are two choices), turn off TV and after 24 hours
the TV Guide should be loaded. The all channels provided by Comcast service were listed but with
message "No Lisings". I am wondering if Comcast Interactive Program Guide (not provided with Cable Card) is same as TV Guide option on TV.
I do not need interactive guide I had with
Comcast digital box. In the TV manual TV Guide
is announced as a free download.

Thanks

Username: Ecostud

BEcom, I have a similar setup (basic+digital).
When I first tried splitting the cable from the wall to go to the TiVo, I couldn't get any digital video or audio through the box anymore, although I could still see the channel info at the bottom. I realized it was a combination of my cheap splitter and the thin coax cable I was using. When I switched to the splitter the cable guy left (Broadband 5-1000MHz), and used a better screw-type cable, everythign went back to normal.
I now have split the line three ways: TV, TiVo and cable box. The cable box goes into the TV through the RCA input so I don't have to deal with its slow channel changing unless we are watching the extened digital channels.

I am curious if anyone knows if the cable company is going to be able to querry my digital box and find out what I've been watching like the TiVo does? That might be how they could catch on to your free intermediate channels and filter them physically at the pole or digitally in the box.

Does anyone know if this is how it works? Is there a way to know if my viewing habits are being recorded and/or sold?
Do they disclose that? Do they have to?

Username: Freedove

OK Guys,
I am not a TV electronics geek or even know the basics of what you guys are talking about. I may fall into the dumb blonde area here.
We had an older Sony TV and the Comcast Dual tuner DVR box. The old Sony only has one set of connector plugs in the back of it. (Red/white/yellow)
Every Comcast call results in a different answer but finally some one told me how to use the Radio Shack Audio Sensing 4 way audio/video selector switch with RF modulator Power. I had to put the old Sony in AUX mode to hook up the Comcast box so we could use it and to have the station guide and record shows while we were watching another station. The word VIDEO was always on the screen though. With that said...now.
Yesterday I bought a regular standard analog Magnavox 32 inch TV. I don't want an HDTV until they get a lot cheaper. It is the Magnavox Smart Very Smart model number 32MT3305/17
I pay for my Comcast Cable and Dual tuner box and I am not trying to cheat the system.
My new TV has 4 rows of of the connectors/jacks/plugs or what ever you call them. and an S-video (round connector)
I don't know anything about setting up a new tv...ok?
I disconnected all the old stuff and tried plugging in the cable box to the new tv like the instructions said with the TV. I plugged the cable into the Comcast Box and then the red,white and yellow cords into the video in/audio IN jacks on the Comcast box per the instructions and the other ends into the Video/Audio Out jacks on the back of the tv. I then put them both on channel 3 per the instructions. I got nothing but snow on the TV. No sound at all. Just black and white trash. I called Comcast 5 times and they had me do the same thing over and over and still no luck.
My Comcast boc gave up and only a zero was showing on the LCD screen where the time used to show.
After being sorely ticked and on the verge of tears I took a Xanax and 3 Advils and just hooked the cable coed directly into the TV and I have a picture and sound but no menu or DVR of course. My Comcast is supposed to send someone out to the house on Tuesday to fix it for me. However I want to give it another try between now and then.
So...was I supposed to somehow tell the cable box what the new tv was with some sort of code? Since I couldn't see the setup screen on the tv with the cable box hooked up I didn't know what to do.
Another thing. The Comcast Box originally came with a big set of 5 cords that were only for HDTVs. There is a red audio/white audio/blue video/green video/red video. My new tv has all of these same jacks too and even though I do not have HDTV one of the comcast guys had me try to use them even.
I even thought about trying to use the Radio Shack box again but this time using a second coaxil cable to run it to and from the TV and cable box.
Can anyone help me? You are welcome to email me directly at FreeDove2001@aol also.
I bought an Emerson DVR/VCR and I have a seperate DVD player that I want to hook up to this TV also eventually to record my favorite shows to DVDs. I don't need the Comcast box to do that but it has a month of one of my favorite soaps stored on it that I want to get off of it!
Thank you in advance for any and all help!
FreeDove

Mare Paci
Unregistered guest
" I plugged the cable into the Comcast Box and then the red,white and yellow cords into the video in/audio IN jacks on the Comcast box per the instructions and the other ends into the Video/Audio Out jacks on the back of the tv. I then put them both on channel 3 per the instructions. I got nothing but snow on the TV. No sound at all. Just black and white trash."
Ok, here's the deal. Plug your cable from wall into comcast box. Plug the red, white, yellow cords into the OUT jacks on the comcast box. Then, attach these into the AV1 IN jacks on the tv. Do not turn either box or tv to channel 3. Instead, tune the tv to channel 1. Then, slowly hit the channel down (-) button repeatedly until the picture appears on your tv. Other tv's have direct input buttons to immediately tune to AV1. Your tv requires you to manually hit the channel down button until a picture appears. To hook up a regular dvd player, attach the red, white, and yellow cords from the player to AV2 IN. Again, go to channel 1 then channel surf down until the dvd logo appears on your tv.

Username: Freedove

Post Number: 2
Thanks Mare,
Once I do this part and if it works how do I also hook up my combo DVR/VCR? It is a totally seperate device from my DVD Player. My brilliant son thinks that if I hook up both my DCD player and my combo DVR/VCR recorder unit that I will then be able to make back up copies of my DCDs.
I don't know if that will work or not.
Right now I am more concerned with getting my Comcast box back to working again so I can see what is on,lol.
Thanks!
FreeDove
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us