Timer recording with Sony HX900

Username: Sadzot

Post Number: 1
I am a DirecTV sub & have a Hughes E2 receiver system. Even though I know that the 900 remote will not control this receiver for timer recording purposes, I have heard that the IR blaster function will allow me to timer record a program if I manually set both units beforehand.

What I need to know is which units must be on when I set the timers & go to bed & which to leave in the off position, if any? Can someone explain the exact steps for me?

Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 1072
If you manually set timers for both, you don't need an IR blaster. Both of them should be off for timer recording.

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 698
You do not have to set the DVD recorder off for timer recording.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1075
It shouldn't be left on. It's more load on the power supply and circuits, also the disc is left spinning for 5 minutes or so, putting unnecessary wear on the spindle motor.

Username: Sadzot

Post Number: 2
David & Dale:

Thanks for your input.

I forgot to mention in my message that my receiver remote controls my vcr for recording, so I set up the timer only on the receiver, turn the tv off, and leave the receiver & vcr on. The next morning the two units are still on & the program has been recorded.

From your input it sounds as though I should turn the 900 off after programming the timer, turn the tv off, but leave the receiver on. Does this sound correct?

Thanks again for your help.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1076
I just set a timer on the receiver too, then turn it off. Leaving the sat on doesn't matter as much as leaving the recorder on.

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 703
David may be right about wear and tear, but that was not your question.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us