Westinghouse 37" LCD TV...any thoughts? Anyone seen it?

Bronze Member
Username: Bobmcclune

Newark, DE United States

Post Number: 13
I am in a desperate search for an LCD TV. The Westinghouse 37" 1080i LCD TV has hit the market at Best Buy, but I have not been able to see it yet. They said I can order it, but they did not know when one was going to be on the shelf as a display...

Please if anyone has seen this set please post your impressions of it on this Thread...thanks

Bill in MA
Unregistered guest
I just checked it out in Danvers MA. The price was $2299 but id on sale on line today and tomorrow for $115 off. Pitcure quality is good for the price. The blacks are not as deep as say the Samsung but it's $800 cheaper. I needed to play with the settings a bit but achieved a nice quality picture. They had the Sharp 37" LCD ($4000) right next to the Westinghouse and for the price difference I'd go with the Westinghouse. Sharp makes a good product but you pay for it. As with any TV in this price range I recommend the extended warranty. It saved me. 3 years after buying a Sony 46" RP from Best Buy it
died and they are giving 100% of my money back for use towards a new one. Hope this helps

Bronze Member
Username: Bobmcclune

Newark, DE United States

Post Number: 15
You can't beat that...thanks for the input. I applied for the Best Buy Card and it should be in...in the next few days. They gave me enough money but they usually send coupons. And that is what I am waiting for. Do you know if this set has a built-in Tuner like the BEst BUy site says. I have got mixed answers on that.

Anonymous

Just had it delivered. Excellent!
Also have Westinghouse 30"
The 37" has much better picture--better color, better sharpness, better handling motion. Excellent even on analog. HD brilliant.

Using the 37" with samsung OTA receiver.

Anonymous

Highly recommend the Westinghouse 37" LCD.

That's the Samsung T451 set to 1080i that I have connected.

Using component cables that came with set. Don't waste your money on Monster cables.

It does not have any tuner. Need a tuner, cable box or satellite box.

Username: Karen_izbinski

Post Number: 1
In the 32" LCD sizes, I have tested an APPLE POWERMAC G4 on the OLEVIA 32" LCD HDTV, the HITACHI 32" LCD HDTV, the PHILIPS 32" LCD HDTV, and the SAMSUNG 32" LCD HDTV. The preferrable image was on the SAMSUNG although I LOVED the HITACHI breakout box and fell in love with the OLEVIA's feature set: AMAZING PIP features. SOLD!

I bought the OLEVIA and am returning it today. I THOUGHT I tested all of these TVs for access to APPLE's COLOR CALIBRATION via system preferences but the OLEVIA won't allow me to access this control.

Color calibration allows the end user to change the color temperature of the display that is attached to the computer. The OLEVIA's EDID chip doesn't allow you to do this. However, SYNTAX is coming out with a new 37" and I'll be testing this screen to see if they have modified the chip to permit this feature. The 32" OLEVIA is going back this evening (06-21-05).

I tested the WESTINGHOUSE 37" last night and WOW!! It packs a display power punch! It should be noted that when hooking up a computer to an LCD display, if at all possible, buy an LCD that is 1920x1080. Don't learn the hard way, like I did. 1280x720 just doesn't do it.

Also, remember that 1280x720p and 1920x1080i are BOTH HDTV formats. For viewing computers on any of these monitors, you can put your money on the fact that 1920 x 1080 is much better than 1280 x 720.

On the bright side.. the 37" prices are very affordable now. Last night I tested the PHILIPS 37" LCD HDTV 32PF5320A. It seemed sluggish and until I read the manual (Whoop-dee-doo!) I couldn't find the SOURCE button. Its called A/V and its in the lower left hand corner of the remote. GREAT price though... $1399 at SAM'S CLUB.

Then I dragged my G4 over to BEST BUY and crushed my hand pulling it out of the cart (ouch!!!!). I tested the WESTINGHOUSE 37" LVM-37w1 $1999. AMAZING color, color calibration available via the MAC, and Wow. Going back tonight to do test grey bars....but I think I'm in love.

Alvy
Unregistered guest
Since it's out of stock,I ordered one Westinghouse 37" LCD monitor at Bestbuy today for $1499 plus tax with free delivery. Does anyone mention about it's capability of 1080P display? Can't wait to test it with Window Media HD. At less than half of the price of Sharp 37" LCD monitor which has 720P native resolution, Westinghouse 37" LCD has 1080P higher resolution to compensate its low side on contrast ratio, I brought Westinghouse 37" LCD home. Worry about its quality issue. Does anyone own one?

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJjj
Unregistered guest
did you really get it for 1499? how did you get it so low?

Username: Texasdeville

Post Number: 3
I bought my Westinghouse 37 LCD last month also for $1488 at BestBuy. I love it. It is the best one out there for the price. I hook up my laptop to it (DVI-out) and then use a wireless bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

Need 1080p
Unregistered guest
Took delivery of the Westinghouse 37" 1080p LCD last Thurs and it looks fantastic! No motion artifacts, great colour and the depth of the picture literally startled me when viewing a 1080i movie.

I'm in Vancouver, Canada, and paid $3,100 CDN (~$2,500 USD) including shipping, taxes and duties.

I'm hooked up to a Motorola 6200 HD cable box via the component cables - had a look at some DVI-D cables over the weekend and it doesn't appear to me that they're any better than the component cables - am I correct?

Any owners out there have any comments on the settings (i.e. for best blacks)? The backlight comes preset at 100, which I've scaled back to 50 - much improved. I run the brightness at about 42 and contrast at 60, tho I've noticed it does vary by station.

Has anyone had one of these properly calibrated? I'd be interested in hearing about other owners' experiments with the settings...

Unregistered guest
BE AWARE!
The 32" Westinghouse LCD does not have 2-tuner PIP.
what they have is seperate source(DVD,PC) PIP.
so you cannot watch 2 different TV programs at the same time.

Unregistered guest
does anyone notice or hear the buzzing noise coming from the screen when you lower the brightness or contrast levels?? I've had 2 LCD's (syntax and septre) and returned them both because of this distracting noise. picture was great in bright room but at night I like to lower the brightness and this noise was audible from across the room. Thanks for any feedback........

treo
Unregistered guest
Anyone seeing this monitor for the price of $1499 anymore? I'd be really interested to know how people got this price. Thanks!!

Striker
Unregistered guest
I too would love to purchase this monitor. At $1499 it would be a no-brainer. If anyone knows where that price can be found, please let us know.

Thanks!!!

cplcarlman
Unregistered guest
I am waiting for the "Day after Thanksgiving" sales ads to try and get this TV. Best Buy just now put it on special for $1899 (from regular of $1999). Normally there is some very good pricing/financing deals in those sales ads for that weekend.

Randyman...
Unregistered guest
I am also VERY interested in the Westinghouse 37" as a PC/HDTV Monitor - and if I see it for $1499, it is going on my M/C card immediately! Please post links to any prices below $1800... I can almost afford the DirecTV HD TiVo with those savings!!! I'm assuming I'll have to wait until Thanksgiving for the $1499 deals - that's fine :-)

Thanks

Unregistered guest
Today it's on sale at $1699 at Best Buy :Westinghouse Model LVM-37W1.

Euser
Unregistered guest
At the BestBuy web site it is cheaper and free shipping.

trigger206
Unregistered guest
I have read aLL your thoughts on the 37" Westinghouse LCD TV and I wondered what everyone thought of the Westinghouse 32" LCD TV. It is at Best Buy now for $999. Which seems pretty cheap for that big of a LCD HD ready flat Panel. IS IT WORTH IT? thanks for your thoughts.

goodbuy
Unregistered guest
just bought the westinghouse 32" at best buy for that price u mentioned and it looks great. havent used PC on it yet, but DVD's and HDTV looks amazing. if you compare the quality between this tv and the other brands, the westinghouse can compete with the best of them. for a grand, you cant find a better TV. it also has dual dvi inputs and a vga input. buy it online to get a free dvd entertainment system.

dru
Unregistered guest
I'm in Houston, the Best Buy here has the 37" for $1499. Considering buying it for my xbox 360. I'm broke though, and I don't like the fact that it doesn't have a tuner built in.

Randyman...
Unregistered guest
I'm still scouring the BB's in Houston, and they all seem to advertise it at $1615 (and that ends today)? Which store had it for $1499? I might just have to snap it up this wekend if I find it for $1499!!! I'm still pretty set on seeing its picture first - and finding one on display is tough.

The fact that it does not have a tuner built in just means the money is going to the panel and driver circuitry (and not a built-in off-air HDTV tuner that I would never use). I'll be using an HDTV TiVo w/HDMI/DVI outs, and I hear using the DVI inputs is the best way to go into this TV (the analog ins are not so hot from what I gather, and its internal "upconversion" is also not so great - so I'll let the HDTV TiVo do the upconverting).

Thanks for any links to $1499 pricing!

Randyman

articaine
Unregistered guest
have a samsung 40" and yes it does buzz

Randyman...
Unregistered guest
Bump. Anyone sen the $1499 pricing on the LVM-37W1 after Thanksgiving?

Thanks!

motionmind
Unregistered guest
I just got the Westinghouse 37" today from BB for $1899 and so far it's excellent. I need to get a DVI cable so my media center can drive it up to its full resolution, but even running at 1280x1024 it's great. Just finished watching Batman Begins and a little TV and the only complaint that I have is that it immediately makes you want to subscribe to HD programming since you can see just how low res the tv signal really is. Maybe they have a deal with the cable companies ;-).

trigger206
Unregistered guest
SO, what are the down sides to the 32" westinghouse lcd? If anyone dislikes it please post it. I want to know all things about it.

Thanks!

Username: Reggie_31

Post Number: 3
any thoughts on the 32" sharp aquos i just bought? its the model #LC32DA5U, and i paid $1377.97 after tax. looks sweet. HDMI sold it.

Username: Vlad777

Hi This monitor has 1920 X 1080 native resolution, which is enough for the 1080P BUT it is only rated for 1080i. DOes anyone know the reason for the downgrade?

Randyman...
Unregistered guest
RE: Vladimir,
The DVI Input #1 should accept 1080P inputs from what I understand. I also believe the display ALWAYS displays at 1080P - it has a built-in de-interlacer for 1080i inputs. I have also read that using external units to perform the upconversion is a plus.

Still holding out for $1499 :-)

Unregistered guest
Anyone know who can ship this Item to canada?

marilyn c
Unregistered guest
Anyone know about the new 37" Vizio LCD, pix looks great. At Costco for $ 1499.Super bright and sharp. Thought it was a good price for a new
model lcd.

Randyman...
Unregistered guest
The Vizo is only a "720P" display FWIW. The Westinghouse display is full 1080P. 1080P is "The New HD", and 720P is considered "Old HD" or "Entry HD".

1080P is what you want for full resolution HDTV, and for future compatibility with the broadest range of HDTV signals. 1080P also rocks for PC Desktop useage (Think about it, a 15" LCD is usually 1024x768 - do you want a 37" or larger TV with the same resolution as a 15" LCD?).

Looks like I'll be waiting until after the new year for the Westinghouse to come back down to $1499. Oh well, I can wait :-)

Bob in NC
Unregistered guest
i just bought the westinghouse 37" lcd at best buy. it was listed for 1599.00 just after Turkey Day when i went back it was up to 1899.00 I had a 12% off coupon from best buy. The sales guy gave it to me for the old price plus coupon. final price 1429.00 good deal! can't wait to try it out.

Bob in NC
Unregistered guest
i just bought the westinghouse 37" lcd at best buy. it was listed for 1599.00 just after Turkey Day when i went back it was up to 1899.00 I had a 12% off coupon from best buy. The sales guy gave it to me for the old price plus coupon. final price 1429.00 good deal! can't wait to try it out.

J. Cohen
Unregistered guest
I'm in NJ. I love the Westinghouse 37" I've tested it twice with my laptop at 1920x1080, nothing else comes close. Only problem I had with it, was video on NON-HD sources. At the BB (Best Buy) in King Of Prussia they had a feed going that showed a clip from Seinfield, the colors were so washed out. I thought "Oh well back to the drawing board". After trying out other displays (LCD and Plasma) back home in NJ. I found nothing looked as good as the West 37". Though the West 32" looked great but the res was only 1366x768. While at the BB at home, I saw the West 37" again and it had the same Seinfield feed on the unit this time though it looked way better, and after I adjusted it looked pretty damn good for NON-HD video.

I'm sold!!!! I'm getting the West 37". Now where can I get it for $1499?

Unregistered guest
WENT TO BB IN MIAMI TO SEE WESTINGHOUSE 37" AND WAS TOLD DOES NOT HAVE BUILT-IN HD TUNER. DOESN'T SOUND RIGHT TO ME WITH ALL THE RAVES I'VE READ ABOUT THE SET. AM I LOOKING AT THE RIGHT MODEL?? DO THEY MAKE ANOTHER 37" LCD? HAVE A 37" VIZIO AND AM CONSIDERING RETURNING TO COSTCO FOR WESTING. VIZIO HAS BUILT-IN TUNERS.

The Randyman...
Unregistered guest
No built in Tuner - thus the $ savings. Not too many people use Off-Air HDTV that I'm aware of, and your Cable or Satellite HDTV provider should also include Local Channels.

You will get the best picture if you feed this set a 1080i or 1080p signal (let your external tuners and boxes do the Upconversion to 1080i DVI/HDMI if needed).

Still holding out for $1499 - and I can hold my breath for a VERY long time! (Quote from Creepshow)

Randyman...

MARILYN C.
Unregistered guest
WHO KNOWS ABOUT SCEPTRE 37" AND NOW A 42"LCD WITH
1920X1080 RES.IS 8MS ENOUGH FOR SPORTS.NO GAMING.
MARILYN

ScottKW
Unregistered guest
Check Best Buy again - the one in Columbia SC has the 37" LVM model with 2 HDMI inputs for $1395- only $96 more than the 32" with one HDMI input. It doesn't appear that it's on sale either - that's just the new price, new just within the last couple of days and WAY cheaper than any 37" and almost all of the 32". Hmmm...

ScottKW
Unregistered guest
Update - two days later the $1395 price was gone.

Forged LS6 SS
Unregistered guest
I probally shouldnt post this b/c i dont want them to sell out.. but here is a link to J&R.. they are selling for $1499 + shipping

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4032614

tho
Unregistered guest
Costco has the Sceptre 37" LCD, supports 1080P (1920x1024) and built-in HD tuner (ATSC), online for $1499 after rebate. How about this ? Is it a good TV ?

briandam
Unregistered guest
just bought one 1-8-06 at best buy for get this--
1199.00,major score.new in box

The Randyman...
Unregistered guest
I am SOOO MAD!!! I heard about the $1195 deal on Tuesday. I called 2 DIFFERENT BB's, and BOTH salesmen told me the price was good thru the weekend, AND I could pay for one at that price even if it was not in stock.

Flash to Wednesday Afternoon (less than 24 Hours later):

I call the same BB's, and the one closest to me says "These are backordered, and we can not honor that price on BackOrdered items." So I call another BB that shows these IN STOCK. I get "Yes we have 4 NIB, but that sale ended YESTERDAY. Our price is $1899".

BB sucks IMO. It took me 3 or 4 tries to speak to anyone (literally over 30 minutes on the phone), and then I get incorrect info from 2 different stores!!!

The thing that REALLY made me mad was I could have taken a long lunch-break on Tuesday just to pay for the TV so I could secure the $1195 price. Since TWO different salespeople told me the sale was thru the Weekend, AND I could pay in full even if it was not in stock - I ended up waiting until Wednesday. Bad call.

Whatever Best Buy. You guys have no clue how to run a retail store. Get a clue, and ANSWER THE PHONE now and again!!!

Slightly Pissed,

The Randyman...

Anonymous

MARILYN C. the westinghouse doesn't have a built-in hd-turner only the sceptre 37" from costco.
now wanting for the 42" to test

The Randyman...
Unregistered guest
Any one seen any new deals on the 37" Westy, or know about the 42" Westy? Or any other ~$1500 1080P NATIVE LCD's with DVI/HDMI Inputs (2 or more)?

Randyman

Billy Blanks
Unregistered guest
if you go to FRYS ELECTRONICS, U can get this EMPREX HD-3701P 37" for $1,199.00
http://www.emprex.com/02_products_02.php?id=96

Im not sold on the color(gray) however from
all the people that i've spoken to, they all say
for the money this is one of the best buy you
can get for a 37 inch HDTV.
I've being to the store three times this week,
jus to take another look, it was right next to a
37" Sharp. i have to say there was no noticalble
difference.

Username: Cjparnell

I have a Sceptre 37" LCD. What in the code to program a Directv remote. Thanks Curt

The Randyman...
Unregistered guest
The Spectre and Emprex are both 1366x768 displays. Just because a TV can "Accept" 1080i and 1080p signals does NOT mean it can natively display them (They will internally re-scale to the native display of the LCD Panel). 720 is really considered "Entry level HD", where as 1080p is considered the high end. A 1080P display has about 1 million MORE pixels than a 720P display (yup - 1 Millon more). Really noticeable for PC useage IMO.

Anyone know of any other $1500 37" 1080P native resolution LCD's? I have only found the Westy in this price range.

Rock On

Anonymous

the randyman...

the spectre 37" is(1920x1080) 1080p native resolution so is the westing but the spectre has built-in hd-tuner(atsc)westing does not.
as we speak westing and spectre have introduced 42" models w/ 1080p native resolution w/ built-in hd-tuners.

The Randyman...
Unregistered guest
Nice. Thanks for the update! I knew the Emprex was 720P, and I thought the Spectre was also. My bad.

None of the 42" Westy's are avalible in my area :-( . Seems to be really hard to find a place to go see these... I still have not even found the Westy 37" on display in Houston! What gives???

Later

ciril k.
Unregistered guest
hey all,
I"m going to BestBuy tomorrow to get "37 Westinghouse. Current price $1,699 (via website $200 save).
I own 23" Apple Cinema for 2 years now, got it for $2.6 K grrr, did not use 1920 x 1080 much becasue is that big, and on PC this resolution isn't saem like MAC look.

ps. ALso, while playing Need For Speed 2 - Apple got weird line about 2 pixels, it's not burned - cross entire screen - liek "invert effect". White backgroun - black line, Black bacgournd - white line.

CHeers.
C

ciril k.
Unregistered guest
hey all,
I"m going to BestBuy tomorrow to get "37 Westinghouse. Current price $1,699 (via website $200 save).
I own 23" Apple Cinema for 2 years now, got it for $2.6 K grrr, did not use 1920 x 1080 much becasue is that big, and on PC this resolution isn't saem like MAC look.

ps. ALso, while playing Need For Speed 2 - Apple got weird line about 2 pixels, it's not burned - cross entire screen - liek "invert effect". White backgroun - black line, Black bacgournd - white line.

CHeers.
C

ciril k.
Unregistered guest
hey all,
I own 23" Apple Cinema for 2 years now, got it for $2.6 K grrr, did not use res. 1920 x 1080 much for web design, becasue isn't really THAT BIG, and you don't wanna be 5 inch away, and on PC this resolution isn't saem like MAC look.
Watching HD videos 1080 / 720 is charm. But for that I got Optoma projector (natice 1280 x 720) which is even better LOL - popcorn / drink - Saw 2 can rock you haahah.

CHeers.
C (buying toys is my hobby LOL)

ciril k. last time
Unregistered guest
WOW -- I'm sorry all. Message got posted 3 times - I thought I didn't click it (turned sound OFF) LOL,.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us