Cablecard and Cablevision question

Username: Sken

Post Number: 1
So I was going to switch from a cable box to a cablecard today, but the rep. told me that the cablecard cannot receive the multiple HBO's, etc.. He told me about not being able to pay-per-view or the channel guide (which is fine), but that I would only receive one of each movie channel - not the multiple feeds like I would get with a box.
Is this right? It sounds really fishy to me...

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 108
What cable system are you in? In the Time Warner systems the CC provides every channel you get with a STB minus Pay Per View's/ Movies on Demand and the interactive program guide. Some DCR manufacturers have included a program guide into their software so...depending on your TV and what services you want, you may or may not like what the CC has to offer. The issue of not receiving the multiple HBO's doesn't exist in our system, not to say it does in some other systems. They work here bottom line.

Username: Sken

Post Number: 2
I'm in a Cablevision area (they call it IO out here now) - their not exactly known for being right about things which why I thought I would ask around. It doesn't seem right to me that you would only get one HBO, but I didn't have the patience to argue with the sales guy.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 110
Contact your local cable commission and ask them why you are only allowed to view one HBO with the CC. FCC compliance is the issue if that's the case

billllllyhilllllly
Unregistered guest
I receive 10 HBO channels from Comcast to my CC.

Username: Jagomidnight

Post Number: 1
I just called to have the cablecard installed as well, and the IO (Cablevision) rep told me the same thing,..and that there's a 39.95 fee for them to come set it up. I'd be willing to test it out without the fee, they suck. I dont see why I wouldnt get the other HBO's, their reasoning is that "its in the cablebox" as if the broadcast were coming from the box itself. I have an assumption that Id get all the channels except the
Cableguide and PayPerView which would be fine by me, but losing the other 10 HBO's and paying $39.95 to test my theory isnt worth it right now.

Silver Member
Username: Kdog044

Post Number: 132
I also have Comcast and get 12 HBO's with the cable card if you include the Spanish ones.

300 HBO East HD (also 215)
301 HBO East
302 HBO 2 East
303 HBO Signature East
304 HBO Family East
305 HBO Comedy East
306 HBO West
307 HBO 2 West
308 HBO Signature West
309 HBO Family West
310 HBO Zone East
311 HBO Latino East
312 HBO Latino West

Whoever told you that is FOS. The cable card performs the same function as the STB. The only thing you lose with the CC is the interactive guide, On-Demand and automatic PPV. You can call and order PPV and if you have a TV like mine with TVGOS you still have a guide.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 160
Jason, same advice as I gave to Ken.
Kdog is absolutely right, in fact verifying what I posted earlier in the thread. The CC is designed to replace your STB minus PPV,MOD, and the IPG (pay per view,Movies on Demand and Interactive Program Guide) I'm sure the FCC might agree that they are not complying, best of luck
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us