We Just Bought a Sony Grand Wega 50"-Should We Get An Extended Warranty?

Anonymous

Hi,
Excitement and joy!! Our sony grand wega TV KF50WE61 just arrived after waiting 3 months (we got a very good price on the tv) Now the question is...should we get an extended 3 year warranty on the tv (repairman will come to our house if any problems) for $399? It will take effect after the sony 1 year warrany expires. This is our 1st big screen tv and I've noticed all the problems with this tv with the bulb going out. Is this worth it paying the price of the extended warranty in case something happens? Is the track record good this model? Your opinions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Sheila

Rob O.
Unregistered guest
I bought the extended waranty and it's the only thing giving me peace of mind after reading all the negative posts on this site about the WE610. This is my 2nd big screen, and I used the extended waranty on the first one. Quote the repair man "Boy are you luck you have the extended warantee. This repair would have cost you $600."

Unregistered guest
I bought a 42 WE610 3 months ago, and Im on my third lamp, not to mention I couldnt turn it on after the second day of owning it. And a aditional maybe 7 times since. This seems to be a common prob with these new LCDS. At 250.00 a lamp, after 3months ask yourself if you think purchasing extended warranty would be profitable. NO DOUBT!

Username: Avman

Post Number: 2
I Sale This TV and Many More I say Any one who buys the LCD or DLP TV should get the Warranty.
I see more and more go to service every day.
But I would check the see who has the best price one some places will still let you buy one if you bought it there are not.

no on warranty
Unregistered guest
Sony has a 1 year parts AND labor warranty on this tv. If you have problems during the first year Sony will take care of it. If your unit truely has a defect I think it would surface during the first year.
Also, if your salesman says the lamp is covered by the warranty "GET IT IN WRITING!" They are typically not covered since it is a "normal wear and tear" item. Sony is covering the repairs now because they are obligated under the 1 year. After 1 year their obligation ends. The extended warranty company won't be interested in replacing your bulb if they have to pay for it.
Best price I've seen for a warranty on this tv is $250. The bulb directly from Sony costs $200. I'll take my chances.

markus
Unregistered guest
Rob O. ...
Why were you lucky you had the extended warranty? You were still under the manufacturer 1 year.

Bronze Member

Kansas City, MO US

Post Number: 17
hey mr. no on warranty how do you know a problem will happen within the first year this technology has only been out a year.

You are right no one will cover the bulb though,
but they will cover Remote, mother board, most importent the power suply.

I really dont need to tell you all this just back up and look at the message board i rest my case, Im not making any money if you get it or not, Im just giving you a heads up.

you dont want just the manufacturer warranty only, try calling sony and see how long it take you to get help.

Anonymous

Thanks for all your input...we decided to go with a 5 year warranty for 289 with TV Authority-which uses Warrantech, it's a huge warranty company in the US, and it is for in home service-just for my piece of mind-- it is worth it.
Thanks again!
Sheila

Bronze Member

Kansas City, MO US

Post Number: 24
My company uses Warrentech they are great, they also cover Mercadez benz.

good luck

Anonymous

My uncle cbought the Sony Wega KF50WE610 from Best Buy with the extendend warranty when this TV first came out. He's already had to have the TV replaced once, but luckily it was under manufacturer's warranty. After reading up more on his Best Buy warranty, it turns out that if the TV is needed to be replaced due to it being a lemon or such, the extended warranty will not carry over to the new replacement TV. Yippie...buy a 4 year warranty...use it just 1.5 years...get a new TV...end of warranty. Thanks Best Buy.

I've yet to look into Circuit City's extended warranties, so I cannot comment much on theirs. I've found Sears does carry their warranties over to the new TV if it needs to be replaced for some reason or other. They were also much more helpful and knowledgable when I called them to inquire about their extended warranties.

Bronze Member
Username: Jags

Raleigh, Nc Us

Post Number: 13
Just an update for all you guys saying that people will not cover the bulb Best Buy has started to cove the bulb so for 250 and the bulb costs 200 for one you would have to be an idiot not to get it but then again there are plenty of those out there. and fyi this Tv has had ALOT more problems then just this bulb issue.

Bronze Member
Username: Jags

Raleigh, Nc Us

Post Number: 14
and to Mr. no no warrenty best buy covers wear and tear what they don't cover usually are consumables. batteries and so forth.

eric
Unregistered guest
about the extended warranties,circuit city and goodguys warranties do carry over if and when a tv is replaced.I know this because of experience.the only drawback to the goodguys warranty is that their service is terrible if you bring something in to the store but their in-home service seems to be as good as circuit city
Eric

Username: Revan

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 2
i bought a 60" rp lcd with a 1 yr warranty.
Did not buy the extended. It didnt cover bulbs
but the 1 yr does. extended warranties are
a waste of money. Especially when buying a used
car. just increases their profit.

NS
Unregistered guest
I can confirm that BB does now cover the bulb under the extended warranty. I just had to have mine replaced along with a resistor and circuit board.

When I first called BB's 800 number they told me that it wasn't covered because it was a consumable part. I then contacted my local BB and they told me that it definetly was covered and that the person at the 800 number must not have been aware of the recent policy change.

Anonymous

Ordered the 50" from Sears in early Dec, rcv'd Fri before Super Bowl. Lamp went out yesterday. Sony says 1 year warranty started on the day it was ordered, not when delivered. They are sending the lamp though. Sears extended warranty overlaps Sony's, so we'll probably buy when Sears calls us to pitch the warranty.

Username: Newbee

Post Number: 1
I have a related question: I have read many threads on this board trying to research whether cleaning the lens and mirrors is something that should be done as part of the regular maintenance. I found where this question was asked several times but no one answered it directly.
Reason I'm asking. I trying to decide to buy an extended warranty at Sears as part of my Hitachi 57S500 at Sears. Sears says they will clean it once a year as part of the $550 five year agreement. when I asked if this was neceassary, the salesmen of course said yes they do it to the models they have on the floor and does improve them. I also talked with a salesmen at REX their agreement is $399. He says cleaning is not required as part of the regular maintenance because Hitachi seals the box to keep dust out? What's the story? Does anyone know about whether cleaning actually is something that should be done?

Unregistered guest
I just bought a Sony Grand Wega "KF-42WE610" LCD projection 6 days ago from CC. It worked fine for 3 days, now it will not turn on. I just get a series of flashing red lights. The Sony service guy came to my house and said he would order the "kit" meaning power supply board, as well as replace the bulb (which he said was probably still OK). I'm unsure if I should let the repair satisfy me, or just take it back and get my money. I've never had such a bad experience with an electronics purchase.

Bronze Member
Username: Emkmd

Post Number: 63
Marty,
Take it back, without question. Replace it with the same model or the Samsung DLP.
-E

Bronze Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 81
newbie,
that hitachi is a LCD rp, never heard of
it needing cleaning on the inside. There is
a air filter that needs to be cleaned or replaced
periodically but is simple. Instead of getting
the extended warranty, just put that money aside.
why pay for a repair you might never need. my 2cts. i spent 4750 and did not get the ex warr.
the salesman did not argue. If they lost money
on ex warr do you think they would be pushing them
so hard.

Username: Salesguy

Spokane, WA USA

Post Number: 1
The extended warrantee at sears and best buy DOES NOT cover the bulb. I work for circuit city, and i can tell you, we will replace the bulb as many times as needed within the warrantee, this is in writing also. we promise the tv will work "like brand new" and if we cant fix it, we give you a new tv. also, we have an extended no lemon policy, if you have 3 problems (ANY 3 problems) within the term of the warrantee, we will replace the TV at no charge. best buys warrantee states that you have to have 4 problems, and it has to be verified that it was the exact problem (i know this, my girlfriend works at best buy)
If you have any questions about anything audio/visual wise, send me an email at protegeracing@comcast.net
also, the cheapers bulbs (around 250-300) will only last on average of 5,000 hours. the more expensive 550$ bulbs will last an average of 8,000 hours, as long as you dont have any power surges or black outs, those will reduce the life span of the bulb in lcd projection and dlp tv's.

Anonymous

The logic of NOT getting an extended warranty on Big Screen TV's, especially LCD or DLP, is NOT sound. To say "if there is going to be a problem with the TV then it will happen in the first year" is just plain stupid! So let me get this straight, with all the issues people have with their big screens and computers in general (circuit boards and power supplies) a problem will NEVER arise after one year? That's crap! Then to say "even if it does happen in the first year you are covered by the manufacturer", well that is true, BUT, are you telling me that now I am SAFE for the next FIVE years because it was fixed before the one year was up?! Wouldn't your set be more likely to have an issue during the next five years according to that logic? Either way you look at it, you are in fact arguing that an extended warranty IS a good idea. Think about it, if there wasn't that much hype about issues like there isn't with regular CRT tubes these days then I would say gamble, but that is NOT the case with newer big screens and LCD/DLP and ESPECIALLY plasma. For what it is worth to those that are actually LOGICAL, or care.

P.S. and to set aside $300 for a future repair A. you won't do it, and B. ANY cost of ANY part will be greater and then add in an onsite charge of at least $80....and that is only ONE problem, just PRAY you don't have another one. Think about it...

Bronze Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 94
personally i dont care if you get an extended
warranty or not, i dont make any money off it.
but i did not buy 1 nor would i buy 1 for a
used car.

Bronze Member
Username: Kid_red

Post Number: 23
Damn, as much as I want to like the Sony, it just doesn't seem worth the headaches. I can't go a week without TV because a bulb blows the first week I have it, or 2 months later. Even the debate over getting the EW because of known issues is reason to ignore this set. I just can't ignore the issues and I think I will cross this set off my list.

Anonymous

I feel like I need to respond to the posts about exended warranty and quality on the Sony Grand Wega since I started the post. We haven't gotten the ew yet (but intend to for my peace of mine and 'just in case') This is an expensive piece of electronic equipment with a relatively new technology.

I want to add the I've had NO problem with the TV. I LOVE it and wonder how I could watch tv and movies before! Rarely do people write when nothing goes wrong, but they will complain incessantly when something does.

Sheila

Bronze Member
Username: Kid_red

Post Number: 24
yea but it's the # of posts about things going wrong. A few and it's isolated, but dozens upon dozens of the same issues over and over make it a pattern, a problem. And for the EW to make some feel safe on this purchase due to those circumstances makes me uncomfortable about Sony.

Bronze Member
Username: Coold373

Pittsburgh, PA USA

Post Number: 13
I agree that buying an extended warranty on an item like this is probably a good idea. I don't work for CC or BB or any store, however, I'm smart enough to know that these LCD and DLP TV's are a very new technology and you can bet they are going to have their share of problems. Even though they claim these bulbs last 6000 or 8000 hours, in most cases, they average around 1600-2000 hours. If the warrenty covers bulb replacements, they most likely it would pay for itself. Who knows what the arrangement between the stores and dealers are with replacing bulbs, even tho a bulb might cost you or me 300 or 400, it may only cost the store a few bucks in conjuction with the warrenties, so even if they replace a number of bulbs per owner, they still make their money. If you don't have that warranty, you'll be shelling out 300 for a bulb every 6 months, unless you don't watch too much TV. Read through all of the posts on this forum, and you will see numerous complaints about common problems. On both LCD and DLP we are seeing lamp replacements, on LCD we are seeing complaints of crop circles on the screen, which I have been told is becoming a common problem. This technology is so new, and been pushed out so fast without adequate testing, that we are going to continue to see these things for a little while yet, until the technology is perfected. If you were buying a tube TV I would say hell no, don't buy the warranty, but for one of these sets, definitely get it.

Bob Rennard
Unregistered guest
Wow, I wish I would have found this thread before I bought the 61 inch Grand Wega. I debated Samsung, and now that 150 days later the lamp and circuitry is fried I hope I have not paid $4000 for a Sony engineering mistake.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us