Do CRTS have "native resolutions"?

Troy Heagy
Unregistered guest
Given that my computer's CRT can display all kinds of resolutions from 320x200 upto 1600x1200, I always though the answer was "no". A CRT can display anything you throw at it, since it's an analog display.

But recently I read an article here saying that CRTs *do* have native resolutions.

I'm confused.

Do CRTs have "native resolutions" like LCDs and Plasmas? Why? How so?

troy

Bronze Member
Username: Arrow224

Post Number: 63
Umm.....TV CRT's have a set one, usually at around 640x480, or lower. That is why when using svideo or composite out on a computer video card, it looks better than 800x600 or bigger.

LCD and plasma have native res's as they have a set amount of pixels, so there is a set number of lines they can display.

Unregistered guest
Isn't it true that the actual resolution of any CRT depends on the mask pitch? For example, a 30inch 16:9 set would be about 15" tall. In order for there to be 1080 lines in 15", the mask pitch would have to be around 0.35mm. Is that typical? Specifically, what is the pitch for a Sony 30" HDTV?

Anonymous

to the best of my knowledge computer monitors (muti-scan), do not have a native resolution and the only reason the signal slightly degrades at higher resolutions is because it uses the analogue vga input instead of the newer and less interference prone DVI input. that said. multiscan Computer monitors and I suspect lower Quality tvs (some that are not multi scan, including many HDTV models which simply convert signals to a pre-prescribe resolution) do HAVE A MAXiMUM Resolution.

engine giver
Unregistered guest
Yep. Native indeed.

Anonymous

Nope. Not native. Hi Def crt can display both 480 and 1080 (vertical resolution). That is why crt displays regular cable much better than a fixed pixel display ex. 1280x720. The horizontal resolution is less on a crt so a fixed pixel tv displays better in hi def. (ex. a crt horizontal resolution may only be 800 compared to 1280)

Bronze Member
Username: Hd_fanatic

Boise, ID

Post Number: 88
Regardless of what some of you may have read by self acclaimed "experts" on these forums, CRT's do not have a native resolution. Here's how CNET defines native resolution:

" Native resolution: The physical structure of some types of displays, including LCDs and plasma panels, defines how many pixels can be displayed at once. The display produces the sharpest picture when used at its so-called native resolution. Other types of displays, such as CRTs, create pixels independently of the physical structure of their screens and do not have a native resolution. As a result, a CRT's image quality is generally the same across a range of resolutions".
Here's the link...
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3173_7-5084364-8.html

The 1080i classification implies that the set can display a maximum of 1080 horizontal lines.

Here's another link that discusses CRT resolution more in depth...
http://www.tvtechnology.com/features/Tech-Corner/f_technology_corner-04.07.04.sh tml

Now this is where it gets more confusing, because according to the above article, CRT Projection (not direct view) is scanned at 1080i quote:

" CRT projectors are subject to the conditions and caveats enumerated above for direct-view CRTs, with the recognition that the tubes used for projection are smaller than those used for direct view. Projector CRTs have round imaging screens, and are monochrome tubes with a continuous phosphor coating across the screen, not phosphor dots separated by a shadow mask. CRT projectors have resolutions up to 1920 x 1080, but it should be noted that they are scanned at 1080i."

Here's a quote from another article:

" Strictly speaking, a CRT is not a fixed-pixel device. The imaging elements-colored phosphor dots-are energized by a continuous electron beam. Because the speed of the beam and the number and spacing of the scan lines it paints on the face of the tube can be varied, a CRT has no native resolution. Its resolution, within limits, is determined by the signal that drive the beam. A CRT is, by nature, an analog device. "

And the link....
>> http://ultimateavmag.com/howto/305picture/

Unregistered guest
Hi. I have a old CRT monitor. The monitor can go up to 1600x1200. I am wanting to plug my xbox 360 into my monitor by the vga cable available. Does anyone no if ill be able to run my 360 at 1080i or 720p or will my monitor need to be set at a low res. Help me
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us