46" Samsung Tantus - HELP!

Unregistered guest
I've been researching this product and found some extremely helpful information on these boards, so I thought I'd pick the brains of those more knowledgeable than I about this product.

Here's the deal: I started out thinking I wanted a plasma or smaller LCD wall-mountable set because of space and aesthetics issues (and of course picture quality), but have decided that I'm uncomfortable spending that kind of money on something that essentially has a finite lifespan, as compared to a rear-projection LCD or DLP set.

Which leads me to my question. I would really appreciate some informed opinions on why I should (or shouldn't) spend what appears right now to be between a thousand and two thousand dollars more on this Samsung model (which I like very much), versus a comparably sized LCD rear projection model with similar features.

Is there a dramatic difference in picture quality between these two technologies? What exactly is it that makes the DLP technology more expensive - picture quality, it's the "hot thing" right now, lifespan...what?

I have a friend who recently bought, I believe, a Toshiba or Hitachi 42" LCD rear projection set for around $1,500, and the wife is wondering why I'd need to spend so much more for DLP ("is the quality or lifespan difference really that great to justify spending so much more?").

I can't speak too much techese (I know the basics at this point), but would greatly appreciate a layman-sounding opinion on what some of you think I should do.

nittanycheeseboy
Unregistered guest
Don't want to be a nuisance, but thought it was time to "bump" this question back up in the hopes that someone out there might be able to answer this...thanks.

To add to my previous question...is it worth it (probable extra $$$) to wait a couple months and upgrade to the HD2+ chip? The Tantus models with the "old" HD2 chip, the ones on the floors now, are dropping in price already - I assume in advance of Sammy's upcoming product releases. Is the HD2+ chip going to be that great an improvement, or had the HD2 version pretty much eliminated all the "rainbow effect" issues, etc.? Will the PQ enhancements be that dramatically noticeable to an average Joe like me, or would I be better off saving several hundred on the current model and not sweating the "latest and greatest?" (I'm willing to spend more money if a significant problem/issue is being addressed, as opposed to just another incremental enhancement to PQ, which of course will be happening until the end of time anyway...)

nittanycheeseboy
Unregistered guest
I guess everyone thinks this TV sucks. Fair enough!

crimecrusher
Unregistered guest
Well I've just completed about 3 months of research and narrowed it down to 2 TV's. The Samsung HLN467W and the Hitachi 50V500. Your question above has some incorrect information in it. Toshiba doesn't make an LCD rear projection and Hitachi only makes an LCD RP in the 50" and 60". What your friend purchased was most likely a CRT or standard rear projection TV. $1500 is the going price for the CRT in that size.

I've spent many hours reading and watching both TV's and to make a long story short I decided on the Hitachi 50" LCD RP. Regular analog, dark pictures, and HD all looked better on the 50V500. The DLP pushes some of the Greens and dark scenes have a blueish tint that the Hitachi did not. In fact, I just spent the last two hours looking at both of these TV's side by side watching differant formats and purchased the Hitachi. However, the DLP did look at little better on DVD. Then the sales rep adjusted the settings on the LCD and they were about the same.

FYI, I could have purchased the HLN467W for $2969 +tax and the Hitatchi for $2699 +Tax at Ultimate Electronics. The Samsung was on sale and the Hitachi was a price match from www.shopsunshine.com. Because of the pricematch my sales rep would have made more comission on the samsung and he still sold me on the Hitachi.

Good luck on your decision.

nittanycheeseboy
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the information. I'm still not sure which way to go on this, although I'm leaning toward the DLP at the moment. The more I read, the more it seems like a trade-off of which not-too-major drawbacks you're more willing to put up with on the DLP vs LCD issue (based on how you're planning to most often use the set), as well as personal preferences.

Good luck with your Hitachi set. I believe you're correct about my friend's purchase; can't imagine him getting a price like that on an LCD RP now that I've done more research on it.

Of course, in the end, we may all be partially insane for spending this kind of money on a TV!

eb
Unregistered guest
i've been wrestling with almost the very same questions nittany. DLP vs. LCD? and am frustrated that samsung has not one, but two new chips coming out but that would mean waiting till the end of the year or 2005 to get the xhd3 chip?? AND it sounds like the tantus with the new hd2+ chip will come in a 50 inch only in the pedestal model. the stand models will be 46" or 56" the way i read it. have you decided? i'm still contemplating...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us