Samsung DLP HLM507W HELP

Username: Tanked

Post Number: 1
My Samsung DLP HLM507W has the three lights of death. it's out of warranty and I'm freaking out.. I've had this problem before, but by simply unplugging the TV and turning it back on if started to work. that's not working anymore. the light wheel is screaming also. I was told by the store tech where I bought the TV to pull the lamp out to see if the filament was broken (lamp burnt out). he said replace it and you'll be all set. sounded good, but when I checked the lamp it looked fine. what now..? what now...?

FYI
Unregistered guest
Fred,

First...stop freaking out!

If the filiment looks good it doesn't mean the lamp is good. The lamp may be weak, but can still operate or the ballast can be weak, but still fire the lamp.

Call 1-800-SAMSUNG and tell them about the color wheel. They have replaced them on sets out of warranty at no charge recently. They are trying to promote good customer relations by replacing the old style color wheel with the new "air bearing" type. While your at it, tell them about the three lights. It's common with Toshiba lamps, but happens with defective Phillips lamps too. They may throw it in free.

As for the lamp, turn on the set and during the first few seconds slap the lamp housing area a few times. It will light up if it has any life in it. Then leave it on 24/7 until it dims, dies, or is replaced with a new Phillips lamp.

Samsung Parts

http://www.samsungparts.com/

BP96-00224C LAMP ASSY./ PHILLIPS 40''-50'' $199.99

BP47-00008A BALLAST FOR LAMP PHILIPS 100P/H00,100W $173.33

BP96-00250A ASSY COVER P-COLOR WHEEL DLP(SVC),COLOR $157.19

It pays to have an extended warranty!!!
These are new inventions after all.

Post Number: 2
thanks, will do.. I'm off the bridge.

Love the TV. This is the first sign of real problems with it in 2+ years.

FYI
Unregistered guest
It's good to know you got 2+ years from that lamp, even if you had to limp it along a few times. At an average of 5 hours a day that's 6k to 7k hours or more. Not bad!

"off the bridge" that's a good one! Good luck!

Username: Jholmstrom

Same story on my HLM507W, purchased in Nov. 2002. Not disappointed to have to replace the buld, just not sure that is the problem.

The bulb looks good so I have a ballast on the way. When I turn it on and watch through the back I see a weak spark after 10-15 seconds then again 10-15 seconds later. After several iterations of the TV turning itself on an off it finally shows the 3 lights blinking.

So any insights? Is it the ballast, or the light?

Has anyone replaced a ballast?

Reply to jay
Unregistered guest
You cannot tell if a lamp is good or bad by looking at it.
These are ultra high pressure arc lamps that use mercury gas.
The electrodes can burn back away from each other.
The gas can alter with age.
Trying a new lamp first is reccommended.
After all, you will need another lamp eventually.

Post Number: 2
Thanks, the TV tech seemed quite certain the bulb was good, but I agree it can't hurt to have a spare and it is easier.

Post Number: 3
I got me replacement bulb today BP96-00224J. the coupling on the original lamp looks different than the new lamp. It doesn't fit. WTF... did my supplier give me the wrong replacement bulb?

Post Number: 4
NEVER MIND. BUT FOR Future reference.

model HLM507W as two different lamp replacement part. the LAMP for my TV was BP960224A. the replacement lamp listed on the Samsung site is BP960224C which was replaced by BP960224J. the difference according to my supplier is that A part has a brown power coupling and the J part has a black power coupling. hope this helps someone in the future. The couplings are different and a black LAMP coupling will not fit a brown TV coupling.

Confusing!
Unregistered guest
How nice of them to complicate a single model with multiple lamp configurations. They couldn't make up their minds, I guess.

synessence
Unregistered guest
Does anyone have a pointer to some instructions for user-replacement of these bulbs? I'm sure its possible despite what Samsung says, I'd just like a little guidance.

- synessence

Post Number: 3
Replacement is simple, getting the right bulb is tougher. Make sure the TV is unplugged and the lamp has cooled. Looking at the TV from the back there is a lamp cover on the lower right. Remove the single screw, remove the door. There are two screws holding the lamp in, loosen these. Then flip the black plastic handle up at the bottom of the lamp assembly and pull the lamp assembly out.

Note the brand of the buld and the color of the connector (black or brown) and then call to order your parts from Samsung's parts reseller.

Post Number: 5
Got my Lamp replaced. did it myself. Easy. brand new 50 DLP TV for 200 bucks. can't beat it..

don't know if it matters or not by the replacement directions that can with the lamp did not include service manual instructions.
for instance: turn on TV goto Service Menu (remote code to get to service menu escapes me now) I send service manual instructions if you want them.

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the update, my lamp came but it was the wrong connector, new one should be here today. Ordered service manual for 20 bucks, so I should be ok. Thanks for the heads up, did not know there was a service menu.

To Jay
Unregistered guest
With set off...mute + 1 + 8 + 2 + power.
Arrow down to "Options" push enter.
Lamp reset and lamp hours should be in there.
Power off 2 minutes or until fan kicks off to exit.

Eman
Unregistered guest
I have the 50" DLP and have a service guy coming out today since the TV is under warranty still and the "3 lights of death" have taken over. Is there some other things that I should have him replace while he is here. lamp....color wheel.... anything else that I can take advantage of???

FYI
Unregistered guest
The color wheel has made a high pitch sound from time to time. Very anoying, isn't it. Better have him replace it with the new air bearing type.

Unregistered guest
I just got a Toshiba 62inch DLP and it will not turn on!! It powers up and then restarts! I have replaced the lamp unit but no luck... same thing. Could the ballast need replacing? Anyone have any ideas???? it is a Toshiba 62HM-14

Thanks

Anonymous

can anyone tell me which part is bad if i can get my sammy dlp to fire if i slap it on the back of the set?

Anonymous

it's probably your lamp. my lamp hung in there for a few weeks by giving it a little tap, but it doesn't last. the picture quality is much sharper since in replaced my bulb. good luck. read the tips and tricks in this discussion thread. they were helpful.

Bronze Member
Username: Bhumi44

Ahmedabad, Gujarat India

Post Number: 14
I HAVE 1,60,000 SERVICE MANUALS FOR ALL ELECTRONICS COMPONENTS AND EQUIPMENTS INCLUDES SCHEMATIC DIAGRAMS, PCB
LAYOUT, FAULT FINDING, PARTS LIST, VOLTAGE SENSOR IN ABOVE 960 CDS !!!Post by spammer - Please send e-mial me:
info@bhumitapes.com
bhumi44@rediffmail.com

regards
kirit shah

Username: Willsmithis

I joined because I wanted to warn everyone of the terrible service I received after ordering parts through J & J International aka samsungparts.com.

I was refused the opportunity to speak with a customer service supervisor to further explain my problem and then placed on hold indefinitely. I eventually hung up after being on hold for 30 minutes.

I dont where else to get Samsung parts but I'll never buy them from J & J Intl.

Unregistered guest
I would also like to warn people regarding
Toshiba customer svc. I purchased a 52HM94 on
3/28/05 and lamp quit on 6/4/05---only one user
for the most 4 hours per day. Toshiba customer
svc told me it is like a light fixture -sometimes
you have defective light bulb. Meanwhile I paid
3500$ for defective light bulb. They cannot
promise I will have replacement for two weeks.
When I asked to speak with supervisor was told
he was in another building and would call me
within 3-5 days.
So be careful!!!!

Anonymous

Mr. FYI,

I just called Samsung and asked about the colorwheel problems, and here's what I was told:

First, they are not aware of any programs to enhance customer relations by giving out replacement units for TVs that are out of warranty. Do you have any more details on this?

Second, the technicians I spoke to could not find any reference to a new colorwheel design that uses the air bearings. As far as he can tell, that part number BP96-00250A is the same as the original. By the way, it is a 6 segment wheel spinning at 9000 rpm. Another common design is a 7 segment wheel spinning at 10200 rpm, which obviously won't work in my TV. He did ask me to supply him with the serial number of my TV so he can check with the engineers in Korea to see if any of the newer models will fit my TV. I'll report back on what they tell me.

Bronze Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 41
I was repeating from a post on this forum where Samsung replaced a guys color wheel after his warranty expired. I'm not going to hunt the post, but he stated what the repairman told him.
It was recent enough at the time for me to recall it and share it with you.

Good luck with the color wheel. Your model being a first generation HLM may not have an "air bearing" replacement. They are standard in "R" models now.
Here's a quote from Samsung.

"Faster Color Wheel

Samsung's 2.6" color wheel spins at 10,800 rpm for smooth fast motion video, and has seven color segments for more accurate colors. It achieves film-like transitions without pixel breakup found in slower color wheel designs and slower switching LCD microdisplays. Air Bearing technology also makes it whisper quiet."

http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?prod_id=H LR5067WX%252fXAA

Anonymous

Has anyone replaced a color wheel themselves? I am looking a $200 labor charge plus $45 of travel not to mention a $30 mark up on the wheel and am looking at doing it myself.

Bronze Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 92
It can be done! Got a screwdriver?
After all, it slides directly in front of the "owner replaceable" lamp. Inspect the new one when it arrives. There are two small wire harnesses. There are two top mounted screws.

Uplug the set!
Take off the back of the set. Everything sits on a sliding tray. You will take a grounding harness loose and some screws that secure the tray. Slide the tray out a little and locate the color wheel by the lamp. Remove the two screws on top and slide the wheel up and out of the guide slots. Observe closely, as you remove the wheel, how the wire harnesses are routed so you can duplicate the routing on the new wheel. Observe that the wheels look exactly the same to be sure you have the correct wheel. Put it back together in the reverse order you took things apart and enjoy the new color wheel and the savings.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us