Problems with Sony RDR-VX500 DVD/VCR Combination Unit

Username: Martigen

Post Number: 1
Hello everyone, i've been going nuts for the past 2 days trying to connect my DVD-R/VCR to my new Sony HDTV with the component video cables.
I tried every single setting and i cannot get it to work. At this point i dont know if the problem is the TV or the DVD player. I got the Sony KDF-50WE655 TV and the Sony RDR-VX500 DVD-R/VCR Combination unit. I set up the DVD on Progressive Scan and it goes black on the screen on the connections with the RCA cables, however when i check Video 5 or 6 (Component inputs) the picture looks like lines horizontally and vertically moving randomly with no picture.
How can i solve this issue? I tried everything to make it work and no luck yet. HELP ANYONE PLEASE!

Peas
Unregistered guest
RCA connections will not output a progressive signal. As for your component connections that will be a seting in your recorders menu. When in doubt read the owners manual. That is why they print the little buggars up in the first place, not to use as a firestarter.

Peas

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 813
The triple component RCA connections will output the progressive signal, peas doesn't know what he is talking about. The component connections are what you should be using. Are you sure that the 3 component cables go to the right connections on the DVD player and the TV? If it's all hooked up right, I would suspect the DVD player. Combos are poor quality units, I've seen Sony combos on e-bay with the seller saying the DVD player didn't work and describing those exact symptoms.

Peas
Unregistered guest
"The triple component RCA connections will output the progressive signal, peas doesn't know what he is talking about."

Actually it is you who has no clue David. When franco said RCA cables he meant he was using a composite connection you dolt. How do I know? Because he referred to the component connections seperately and correctly. He like many others call a composite cable connection (Yellow-White-Red) RCA.

So as I correctly wrote, the RCA (composite) outputs will not pass a progressive signal. This is why the screen goes blank when that particular connection is changed from interlaced to progressive.

You really should attempt to read the question correctly David.

Peas

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 392
Gianfranco's original post is certainly not the paradigm of clarity. Why blame David and call him a name when the post is ambiguous at best? That is totally unnecessary.

Silver Member

Post Number: 816
Peas, read the original post. He mentions component cables and component inputs, he never says anything about composite. It's you who can't read.

Peas
Unregistered guest
Actually David you have made an assumption that you read it correctly in the first place and never read it again as you should have.

Here is the area you missed in quotes below:

"I set up the DVD on Progressive Scan and it goes black on the screen on the connections with the RCA cables, however when i check Video 5 or 6 (Component inputs) the picture looks like lines horizontally and vertically moving randomly with no picture. "

Notice where he specifies RCA cables? I repeat RCA cables! One more time for clarity David, RCA CABLES!!!!! Then when he checks the component inputs (5 or 6) he has random lines with no picture. Is it clear yet? Do you see how he clearly differentiated the component inputs? Can you hear me now David????? Your apology is accepted.

Peas

Username: Mart1gen

Post Number: 2
I apoligizs for the confusion, I did mean the red, yellow and white RCA cables. Any help with my problem at all? Am sure it is connected properly.

Silver Member

Post Number: 822
You are going to have to specify how you have the recorder connected. You say component cables, then you say RCA cables. If you want the progressive scan to work you have to use the triple component connections for video and the 2 RCA connections for audio.

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 395
You see. Even the original poster realized that his inquiry contained unclear information.

Username: Mart1gen

Post Number: 3
Actually I thought it was clear but wanted to clear up the confusion that developed.
I have composite rca cables and component cables connected. I now understand why no progressive signal displays thru the RCA cables but still do not know why the component connections do not work.

Silver Member

Post Number: 842
So you are using component and composite both on the DVD player? Don't use both at the same time, that can cause problems, use one or the other.

Silver Member

Post Number: 842
So you are using component and composite both on the DVD player? Don't use both at the same time, that can cause problems, use one or the other.

Anonymous

I have a sony rdr-vx500. Okay, I'm new to this DVR process. I did manage to get it hooked up correctly on my own (using both component and rca connections) after a little frustration. The first thing I did was try to dub a vhs to a dvd. I put in the blank dvd r+, then the vhs movie, pressed play for vhs and then then the Left arrow button for vhs to dvd. Then when the movie was over, the unit displayed "inf write". what does that mean? Also, there is nothing on the dvd that I was attempting to record to.
sorry for my ignorance here, any help is appreciated.

Silver Member

Post Number: 956
Are you sure there isn't anything on the disc? Did you finalize the disc?

Anonymous

I had the same problem until just hours ago. After many attempts I went back to the manual. I found in smallprint and in one place. This "up to 8x speed DVD" If you did like I did I got 16x DVD -R, no good. Try an 8x disk and see how it goes.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us