Panasonic DMR-E85H...won't "forget" TV Guide On Screen info

Username: Robbadobba

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1
I posted this last night, and it seems to have disappeared.

I am trying to disable the TV Guide On Screen so I can use this unit like a regular VCR. I set up the TV Guide On Screen successfully when I purchased the unit in January, and after a month of updates, it ceased to work. And I'm tired of the IR Blaster taking control of my cable box, so I've decided I don't need TVGOS.

Problem is, I've done Panasonic Customer Service's 5 step reset process 6 times, and I can't seem to get the unit to "forget" timer recordings I have tried to delete 3 times (each time I delete them and reset the machine, they magically reappear...along with a blinking red timer record icon on my LCD display, because my clock is now stuck at 12:00AM), and I can't manually set my clock or channels from the unit's main Setup screen. Those selections are not greyed out, but when I select them and hit enter, nothing happens.

Can anyone help?

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Go into the TV Guide, click on the setup option. When the option question says: Do you have a cable box? Just click" NO Finish the setup and the guide will be disabled.

xvxvxvx

Username: Enconwjc

MA

Post Number: 5
Hey xvxvxvx, I have a question for you ... I have my DMR-E85H set up on cable without a cable box and it automatically downloads the channels as it is supposed to ... well it misses one. Its one of the local access cable channels, but so what ... Is there a way to manually add a channel...I do know how to get into the channel setup option and re-arrange the order of the channels, but not how to add one .... any thoughts?

-Bill

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 2
Thanks, xvxvxvx, but it's just not that simple. I believe my RAM was corrupt. I did what you said 5 times before calling Customer Service and getting 5 different ways to reset in a vein attempt to get the machine back to Factory Settings. It never got there...after every reset all the info came back.

What it finally took was a visit to www.dxcc.com to right everything. that guy is a godsend. I downloaded the Firmware update from his site, ran the update (my unit was on a way older FW version) and also ran some of the Service Mode tests he suggested.

after updating the Firmware, all was fixed.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Rob,

I'm glad you got your problem solved but I don't see anything on the site you linked to in your post that could have helped.

Bill,

Never seen the unit miss a channel before unless you disabled that channel yourself. Can't he;p you with this one.

xvxvxvx

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 3
My bad...the link I posted above was the main site page. THis is the page I found all the pertinent info for the DMR-E85H on:

http://www.dxcc.com/dmr-e85h.htm

I found this link on this message board on the mammoth 100+ reply posting on questions regarding the DMR-E85H

formerly xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Now that page I have seen Rob. It is good you posted the link, it may help others as well.

xvxvxvxv

LindaBear
Unregistered guest
Maybe this is the same problem.... I can't recall specifically what I was doing at the time, but the unit froze up, so I unplugged it from the surge protector and then plugged it back in again. It was working fine after that, except that when I attempt to use the manual timer record function, it won't record. The little timer indicator will even be displayed, and after the set time has passed, the event is still scheduled. When I went through the set-up again, I noticed that the TV Guide On Screen was available when I pressed the Functions key, while it had always been disabled before.

Additionally, once I've set the timer, the Function and Erase keys do not work until I go in and "stop" the recording using the blue key.

Is this the same as the firmware problem? I never had an error message come up, although I didn't leave the unit on long enough after it froze for that to happen. Will simply burning the update to a disc work? The page linked in this thread said something about swapping out the drives, and I have no clue when it comes to that stuff.

jazzj
Unregistered guest
Hey xvxvxvxv,

you seem to know everything there is about these units, so I was hoping you might be able to help me...

I've actually got the E95HS, and despite all my efforts, I have been finding it IMPOSSIBLE to get the TV Guide listings to load. The most frustrating thing is how simple my setup is: analog cable and a VCR. I've gone through the panasonic site and taken my turn waiting on hold for over 1/2 hour, only to be told it's a defective unit.

I thought I'd read somewhere about setting the incoming data channel (or something like that) to CH3, but I can't find any such setting under the Functions Menus. (If someone's aware of where this setting is, even on the E85, could they please let me know?)

I'm getting so frigging frustrated with this thing. Probably the main reason I bought it was because with the TV Guide feature there's no subscrition - if I can ever get it to work.

Any help by anyone is MUCHLY appreciated.

J.

formerly xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
You say you have analog cable. Do you mean no cable box and you are running the RF cable directly to your E-95? If you are running the cable through your VCR first this will not work. If you do have a cable box I need to know the model and manufacturer.

Now those things said, try going thru the Guide setup again and this time use the zipcode on your cable bill, not your zipcode, the zip to the cable companies billing address. May sound crazy but this has worked for others.

Let me know what happens,

xvxvxvx

Jeffw
Unregistered guest
Yeah, analog cable straight from the wall. On my first attempt I used a splitter and ran the other outlet line to my VCR, per diagram, but lately I've been running it straight from the wall to the DVR. I then have two lines coming out of the back of the unit - SVideo coming out of L3 and running to SVideo input on my TV, and the co-ax cable coming from RF out and also going to my TV.

By "cable companies billing address" you mean the zipcode that the cable company sends my bill to (my home address)? If that's the case then that's the same zip I've been entering.

I would be beginning to think that the unit is indeed defective, except for the fact that I have encountered the same problem with the Guide+ system with my RCA TV. It used to load my TV schedule until about a yr. ago. I tried everything with that as well but eventually gave up on it. So now I was starting to think that my cable company (Ygnition) was "stripping" the TV Guide signal, but then I went on the TV Guide site and found Ygnition as one of the companies listed to which they'll provide you the schedule online - therefore why not to your home, right?

I tried re-setting by unplugging it for 15mins then holding down the power button for 10 secs, etc. It said "Please Wait" when I turned it back on but all my old TVG settings were still there.

Is there such a thing as a setting for the TVG input channel? I've been leaving the unit on CH3 overnight just to try, but that hasn't been working either.

Thanks again,
J.

Jeffw
Unregistered guest
- sorry, I mean I'm running the SVideo out line from OUT2 on back of the DVR, not L3.

Jeffw
Unregistered guest
oh, also, if by "cable companies billing address" you meant the zipcode of my cable company, they are out on pacific time and I am in central, so I don't think a listing lineup (even if I received it) from out there would work either :|

formerly xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
With the unit on press CH up and CH down at the same time on the unit itself, not on the remote. Hold them down till the unit turns off. Remove the power plug for 30 seconds then replg the cord and turn the unit on.

Go to the guide setup menu and enter 99999 for the zipcode. Then complete the setup as normal being sure to check the "I have cable" I have no cable box" options.

Go back into the guide setup and now enter the zipcode to the cable company office in your hometown.

Complete the setup proedure and leave the unit off for a few hours. You should have some guide data even if it is incorrect.

I suspect none of this will work since you now told me that the Guide stopped working on your RCA TV too. This likely means that your cable company is indeed stripping out your signal.

As far as offering the listings for your particular cable system that only means the data is available to TV Guide for information not that your cable company offers the Guide data on their cable signal.

xvxvxvx

Jeffw
Unregistered guest
Thanks for your help xvxvxvx.

I think it is indeed as we suspect - that my cable company (Ygnition - which SUCKS, incidentally) is stripping the TV Guide. I have played with the setup of this thing in every which way imaginable.

As badly as I would like to have this machine, it's only 1/2 as useful to me without the automatic program taping, so I'm boxing it up & sending it back.

Thanks again.

Unregistered guest
Howdy from Houston,TX

I've just gotten off the phone with a local Time Warner cable rep who tells me that TW does not offer/provide TV GUIDE ON SCREEN service to my basic analong cable. This pisses me off. Houston is hardly the sticks. Why isn't it provided here??
I guess it's time to talk to TV GUIDE. If I'd known I was gonna get screwed this way, I wouldn't have bought the Panasonic DMR-E85H.
Comments, suggestions, etc?

Thanks,
Dan

Unregistered guest
I've gotten off the phone again with a second Time Warner cable service representative. This time I was at least able to get a good solid answer from the rep, which is that TW (at least in my area) does not offer TV GUIDE ON SCREEN service by way of basic analong cable. That pisses me off. Never did like Time Warner cable.
Otherwise my DMR-E85H seems to be operating within normal parameters.
I'm also confirming that TW sucks.

Good luck,
Dan in Houston

DMR-Fanatic
Unregistered guest
I had a DMR-E95 for a while and also found out that Time Warner in Austin does not offer TV Guide On Screen. I'm sure they want to up-sell their customers to digital cable. Unfortunately the On-Screen program guide is so integrated into the operation of the DMR-E85/E95 that I prefer the DMR-E80.

I made the "mistake" on my DMR-E95 of connecting an over-the-air antenna to test if TVGOS was available there (and it is). The DMR-E95 "latched on" to the channel line-up and I found no way to reset the unit so that I could once again do manual channel programming.

After seeing all the trouble others are having with TVGuide On-Screen I'm glad to sit back and wait til they get the issues ironed out. Looks like Gemstar has their hands full.

DanielNTX
Unregistered guest
Time Warner Austin does offer TV Guide On Screen on analog cable. My unit updated with no problems. So think again, it does work.

DMR-Fanatic
Unregistered guest
I'm glad to hear that. I'll give it a try again. When I had problems a few months ago I received confirmation from a TW rep that it was not provided but hopefully they support it now.

Anonymous

I bought dmr e85 last june. Everything ok with TV Guide until about 3 months ago, when suddenly every channel said "no listing" Spoke with Tech Support at Panasonic numerous times. I guess "no prior experience" needed for that job. I reset unit a dozen times until everything was grayed out, ie, change time, cable system etc. I was now unable to reset. I was told it needed service. Was without for 6 weeks and told they replaced the "digital printed circuit board". Got home, still have same problem. However, in the town that unit was serviced, they were able to download a days worth of listings. Channels are there but all boxes say "NO LISTING". i live in Northern NJ, Cablevision is cable company. Did I waste my money on this?

Anonymous

all boxes say "NO LISTING". i live in Northern NJ, Cablevision is cable company. Did I waste my money on this?

Ihave the same problem as you. Have tried everything and cannot get the channels or programs downloaded. The remote allows one to change the cables box to change channels, but no online TV Guide listings. Seems to me that Cablevision is somehow blocking this function.

Anonymous

BEFORE I have a TV GUIDE problem.... is there any advice on connecting to DISH satellite? I have E95H, RCA HDTV, RCA Autio Home Theater System. No, the satellite receiver is not HDTV. Will this IR Blaster work on a satelllite receiver the same as a cable box?

Anonymous

I too have Dish network satellite, and my problem in not TV Guide, but getting my PAnasonic to turn to channel 73, the channel the satellite sends to the TV. Since the downloaded TV Guide channels did not consist of channel 73, I can't go to it. Whewn I go to manually add a random channel that is unlisted to channel 73, it says"invalid number, must be between 2-69". But I can get up the system to manually record channel 73, just can't watch channel 73. Can someone please help me. Thank you.

fx
Unregistered guest
Hook an additional input to one of the "L" inputs (L1 L2 or L3) and then you can manually record channel 73 from your SAT box.

xvxvxvx

Ken Valentine
Unregistered guest
I have a Sony RDR-HX900 DVD Recorder with TV Guide on Screen and mine also has every box full of No Listing. I went to a local TV retailer (Bjorn's in San Antonio)who use Tine Warner in their store and TV Guide works there.

I called a Time-W Tech Support person and she told me I had to use a Composite (red-yellow-white)connection and not component or DVI in order to pass the signal.

It still all blnak with No Listing.

Any comments from Sony owners?

Murray B.
Unregistered guest
For the TV guide feature to work properly there needs to be two things.

1. A properly functioning DVR. For the E85H this could mean updating the firmware. Surprisingly, Roger Amidon at DX Computer Consulting and not Panasonic seems to be the the best source of the needed information. As mentioned before that data is posted at <http://www.dxcc.com/dmr-e85h.htm>

2. Once the DVR works there still needs to be TV Guide data on the cable. If this is not present, and it may not be, then a perfectly functioning DVR will not be able to get a listing. One thing that may help troubleshoot this problem is for posters to indicate city, state and service provider. That will help identify providers that do not carry the TV guide infomation.

Good Luck

P.S. Sorry but this is too funny, "Time-W Tech Support person and she told me I had to use a Composite (red-yellow-white)connection" This "Tech" clearly does not have a precious clue but wants to 'help' anyway. The TV guide is going to have to come from the cable itself and not the display device. It is called a 75 ohm connection but that is really really the value of the terminator. As everyone probably knows, the cable impedence can be found by using the relation 1/(j[omega character]C)once you know the length and capacitance per foot of the cable.

Unregistered guest
Help! Does anyone have any idea of how to get the Panasonic (DMR-E85H) to interface remotely with DirecTV's M10 High Definition receiver using the IRBlaster provided with the Panasonic? I have yet to be able to get the IRBlaster to remotely control the DirecTV receiver.

My goal is to be able to have the Panasonic switch the channel setting on the DirecTV receiver in record mode.

Any useful input will be well received.

Thanks.

fx
Unregistered guest
"Does anyone have any idea of how to get the Panasonic (DMR-E85H) to interface remotely with DirecTV's M10 High Definition receiver using the IRBlaster provided with the Panasonic? I have yet to be able to get the IRBlaster to remotely control the DirecTV receiver. "

In the manual it clearly states that the E-85 IR blaster is not compatible with any satellite boxes, only cable boxes.

xvxvxvx

Anonymous

DMR-E85H Anyone happen to know the remote hacking code to reset the Region designation on this machine?

Unregistered guest
I have a panasonic pv-24df62 tv but I lost the remote. Is there any other way I can use the menu or just reset the tv so I can switch it to CATV?

Unregistered guest
FYI! I'm recovering from a heart attack following open-heart surgery that resulted in some memory loss due to the lack of oxygen. I'm 71 and I've done this hookup many times before, but now I can't remember how and now I must re-learn the process. Sorry! I hope this FYI doesn't turn anyone off.

I'm asking how to re-connect up my Satellite DirecTV using a Hughes DVR 40 Tivo. I want to use my Panasonic HE 200 receiver as a switching station for all my other components. I have most all the necessary jacks, including the conponent S-Video, and Optical digital. I want to use my JVC 27" TV as a monitor.

I've tried for several days and I'm overlooking something that is keeping me from getting the satellite signals through my receiver to the monitor. It just occurred to me that I could have a bad cable. In any event, I'm very frustrated and need someone with patience and "in the know" to help me. Thank you all!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us