My new Panasonic DMR-E85HS doesn't play DVD-R and ...

Yongping
Unregistered guest
I bought Panasonic DMR-E85HS yesterday and excited to run some tests last night. After tests, I find my Panasonic DMR-E85HS works fine except two things.

One is it can't play DVD-R copied from other DVD burner. I use Sony DVD burner and my PC to make a DVD movie copy from DVD Video disc. My PC (WinDVD) can play the newly copied DVD-R without any problem. However, when I insert the DVD-R disc into Panasonic DMR-E85HS, after a while, something like "incompatible" displays on my TV and "UNSUPPORT" displays on Panasonic DMR-E85HS screen. I couldn't figure out why?

second problem: I used three lines (yellow,white and red. maybe called RCA?) to hook up DirectTV receiver to my TV (Samsung DLP) before I have Panasonic DMR-E85HS. I can get caption on when I need (it is helpful to me as English is not my native language). But I now change to use S-Video cable to connect DirectTV receiver to Panasonic DMR-E85HS and then use Component cable to make a connection between my TV and Panasonic DMR-E85HS. But I couldn't get the caption worked this way. What did I wrong?

Please help me out. Otherwise, I will return this Panasonic DMR-E85HS.

Have a good weekend.

Yongping

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 260
Try using S-video in and S-video out rather than mixing them. Difficult to provide definitive answer without complete understanding of components and set up. Is Directv receiver HD?

Yongping
Unregistered guest
No. My DirectTV receiver is a standard one.
Thanks.

yongping
Unregistered guest
More info:
I tried three lines(Red,Yellow,white) and S-Video to record TV program on HDD. But the caption is gone when I play it.
If I directly connect Directtv receiver to my TV either by the three lines or S-Video, the caption is up.
That makes me think the caption info. is lost during recording. So I am wondering if I need to do some settings (regarding the caption stuff) before I hit record button?
Please help me out!
Thanks.
Yongping

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 735
As far as the burned DVD, try better media, or another burn program. DVD Decrypter is an excellent burner. Are you using the captions on the TV and not the subtitles on the recorder? Subtitles on the recorder are only for retail DVDs.

Yongping
Unregistered guest
Yes, I use DVD Decrypter to rip off DVD movie to my PC HDD and then use Nero to burn it to blank Memorex DVD-R via Sony DVD burner. I can play the burned DVD on my PC (WinDVD) and old DVD Player APEX without any problem. Then if I insert this DVD into Panny, it shows DVD Video ROM, then DVD play L1 something like that, then gets stuck there permanently, then I have to do that annoying press and hold button thing...

As for the caption, I can get the caption (subtitle) when I play DVD Video (retail DVD as you said).

However, I can't get caption with the following situations:
1. when I transfer TV signal through the Panny from Directtv receiver to my TV
2. when I copy TV program onto Panny HDD, and then play back.

If the caption problem can't be solved, I will definitely return it.

Thanks.
Yongping

Silver Member

Post Number: 736
Memorex is a crap shoot on discs, sometimes they are good sometimes they aren't. They get their discs from different manufacterers. Put a disc in Decrypter in ISO mode and see what the manufacterer is along with the media code. Decrypter is a better burner than Nero. When trying to use captions are you turning them on on the TV and not the recorder? The captions should pass through the recorder.

Yongping
Unregistered guest
The more I play, the more I believe Panny does some algorithm to check the burned DVD Movie.
I tried several combinations (like DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink,CloneDVD trial, Super DVD copy trial, and Apollo DVD ...burned 5 disc using file or ISO) but got the same result: I can play back the burned DVD on PC and my old DVD player but not on the Panny DVD Video Recorder. So disc seems not a problem.
Then I tried to burn TV program on DVD-R (by Panny) and then got it finalized. Now the finalized DVD-R can be played on my PC and my old DVD player.

As far as the caption, as long as I use the Panny to record a TV program either onto its HDD or DVD-R via either three lines or S-Video cable, the caption is not recorded somehow. I set up subtitle on (in Panny, recorder as you said) but the caption option on my DLP TV is greyed out when I play back what I recorded.

When I watch TV (signal transferred through Panny), the caption option is also greyed.

Sounds like the Panny filters/blocks the caption message.

Thanks.
Yongping

Silver Member

Post Number: 738
I wonder if you got a defective recorder. I've never had any problems with DVD-R discs on the 2 Panasonics I've used and one of them is an E-10, the first one ever made by Panasonic. I've never had any problems with captions either.

Unregistered guest
With my Panasonc DMR-E85H dvd recorder, when trying to use the dubbing feature(from dvd to hdd)I get the message "incompatible tv system setting" The dvd I am trying to copy was made on someones computer and plays on the Panasonic but I am unable to copy it. Any suggestions please.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us