New TV - What else do I need?

Bronze Member
Username: Berta

Post Number: 17
Any help would be appreciated. I think I am in technology overload. I am buying a RCA HD50LPW162. Ideally I would like to be able to record HD and SD TV programs. Especially, when I am not able to view them as scheduled. It would also be nice to save some on a DVD. I also like to watch rented DVD's. I know I have to get HD from my cable company, which is Comcast. So do I:
1. Pay the Comcast to rent their DVR ( which I am assuming Tivo like) and then buy a DVD player.
2. Buy my own DVR. What are my limitations here.
3. Do I get Tivo. Then I still need a DVD player right?

Also, someone said I won't be able to record HD properly if my DVR doesn't have video composit input. Any truth to this statement.

Thanks in advance!!!!

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Also, someone said I won't be able to record HD properly if my DVR doesn't have video composit input. Any truth to this statement?

It doesn't matter what inputs your DVD recorder has, you can't record in HD. All DVD recorders made today record only in 480i. In fact the commercial DVD's you purchase are recorded in 480i. Anyone who tells you otherwise is mistaken until the new generation Blu Ray and HDDVD recorders are in production supposedly late this year but more likely next year.

xvxvxvx

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
xvxvxvx -

Thanks for the information. Any suggestions for whether I should go the TIVO DVR route or Comcast HD DVR route?

Thanks.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Roberta,

The HD TIVO only works with direct TV plus you must purchase it(close to $1000). If you go with comcast you only pay a small monthly rental fee with no contract or large initial cash outlay . You must be the judge of what works best for your situation.

xvxvxvx

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
xvxzvxvx -
Again thanks for the help. I'm going the Comcast HD DVR route.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us