DVD Record in Widescreen

Unregistered guest
I noticed the panasonic E55s dvd recorder says it only records in 4:3 (standard). It lead me to believe there must be some that can record in widescreen as well.
My question is: if I find a dvd recorder that has component inputs (I have seen some that do such as Phillips) and I hook up my Comcast high def box (DCT 6208 model) component cables to the dvd recorder, can I record the high def signals in widescreen? I know it won't be in "high def" but it should be in 480 interlaced and widescreen. If so, then wouldn't I be able to play it back in 480p and have something that is equal in quality to a professionally bought widescreen dvd?

Thanks,
Jason

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
It lead me to believe there must be some that can record in widescreen as well.

Nope, not even the two DVD recorders currently on the market with component inputs will record in widescreen format. Why you may ask? Because 480i, which you already understand is the best you will be able to record, is a 4:3 format, not transmitted in widescreen (16:9) format.

Until the HD DVD recorders are available (And perhaps not even then) you will not be able to record a widescreen format onto a DVD. Now what I do is to record the letterboxed data onto a DVD then replay it in 480i and let my display Zoom it to fill the screen. All the data is there and it looks quite good on both my 65" Sony CRT as well as my 61" RCA DLP.

xvxvxvx
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us