Archive through February 09, 2005

Anonymous

My samsung 4663w has been working great since i got it in mid dec. I just had 1 minor thingy happen watching tv all of sudden picture went out but i could still see a slight color tinge on the screen. The tv shut itself off for maybe 5 seconds then came back on. nothhing seems to be wrong. Has this happened to anyone else and what caused it.

Klaus
Unregistered guest
Anonymous:
I had a similar issue a while back and it was a short power interruption since my Microwave which is quite intolerant, showed PF for power failure.

Crazyover this
Unregistered guest
I had to scream long and hard for three days, but CC finally agreed to replace my HLP5063W after having it serviced only twice. Eventhough CC requires three repairs. I told them a TV less than six months old should not require three different repairs. Got a new HLP5063W MFR. in November, so far so good. This is my first ever TV that was not a Sony, 20 years of great tv's, and if this one fails I'm going back to Sony for their 50" RP LCD

Grumble Grumble
Unregistered guest
Trying to find out what the vertical viewing angle of HLP4674w - or any Sammy DLP if they're all the same. Not mentioned on Samsung website. Emailed Samsung - no reply of course. Have heard it is only around 12 degrees compared to about 150 degrees horizontal viewing. Vertical of only 12 degrees would be a killer for me because our TV has to be placed only a couple inches above floor, and at 12 degrees you have to be more than 12 feet away to view bottom half of screen, otherwise your head would be above the vertical viewing angle when seated - some of our seats are only 8 or 9 feet away. DLP is the preference because living room has so many large windows. Went to a couple stores to try to determine answer, but no success. Anyone know the answer or have a similar close-to-the-floor setup?

Grumble Grumble
Unregistered guest
Grumble Grumble cont'd . . . I should have referred to 24 degree vertical viewing angle - not 12 degrees . . . however, when tv is almost sitting on floor it's 12 degrees up and 12 degrees down (in other words, below the floor level which is of no use to me). so it's 12 + 12 = 24 . . my bad in previous post!

Anonymous

I am on my second HLP4663W because of the power on "three lights of death" as everyone is calling it. I had a lamp replaced on the first service call and on the second service call which was within the 30 day return policy, we opted to replace the set rather than throw a bunch of parts at it.

Now the new unit did the death cycle yesterday. At this rate I will get a new unit every month. However, that is not what I want to do.

One thing I noticed this time was that the cable box was not turned on. Could this have an impact on the unit cycling up? It worked fine this morning as I made sure the cable box was powered up first. Anybody have any input on that thought? I am logging a call today to cover my butt. Should we be looking at the JVC that has been mentioned in some of the posts? I still really like the picture the Samsung has, but I need a TV that will power up on command.

Thanks,
Dan

Klaus
Unregistered guest
I had an HLN437w for a couple of weeks. I always leave my cable box on to simplify the "wife factor". I had the 3 lights issue before and after lamp replacement. I am suspicious of voltage spiking at start up messing up the microprocessor routine. I think that may be why unplugging for a while may help. I now have an HLP4674 which has been trouble free since mid november.

Unregistered guest
I have an HLP4663. Two Tivo's hooked up through S video. When I cycle through the inputs, the TV always looks on RF1 (antenna 1) for a signal, since there is nothing there I get snow. I can keep hitting the input button to cycle through to the next input/source.

I called Samsung, they said there is no way to make the TV not look at the RF1 input. I find this hard to believe. When I finally get an HD tuner hooked into the HDMI, this thing is still going to go look at RF1 for signal?

Is there maybe some way through a service menu to get it to not look to RF1 for a signal. If you unplug a svideo or component video it autmatically detects it and will not cycle to it.

Thanks for any help.

Dank
Unregistered guest
Dan...
What exactly was your Samsung doing? I just had my 3rd repair on my HLP4663 because it turns off and on randomly. The replaced the bulb/ballast the 1st time, the PCB boards the second time, and the light engine this week. And after every repair the problem was still there. Now I have to wait until Monday for another tech to come out and give it it's last rites.
Dan (also)

Unregistered guest
After a year my HLN467wx sounds like a table saw.
Is this the cooling fan or color wheel?
Would oil silence the source of this unbearable noise?

Johnnytv2004
Unregistered guest
Is there anyway to get into a menu to see how many hours I currently have on my lamp ?
Mine has been repaired one also, I had the light engine replaced. Now the guy is going to replace the screen to get rid of the gray smudges.
It's amazing that my 15" $89.99 TV from the supermarket works worryfree. And my $3000.00 dollar Sammy has so many issues. Wishing I went with Toshiba. : (

Babe Ruth
Unregistered guest
I was ready to go out and buy a Samsung HLP5063W. But after reading all of these posts I'm scared out of my mind. What other DLP tv's would anyone recommed. For space constrictions I can't go over a 50" set. Thank you for all of your informative posts.

tradi
Unregistered guest
I havd the HLP 5063W and have already had the entire light engine replaced because of the problem described above with the rectangles throughout the screen. I also have the smudges which have gotten worse over time. They are now going to replace the entire screen instead of replacing the tv. However, with all these posts I think I now have amunition to get the tv replaced or bring it back for another brand. It it only 5 months old.

Joanna
Unregistered guest
I bought the HLP5063W in Dec 04 and have unfortunately experienced alot of problems with it. Besides seeing the rainbow effect, my husband and I notice the audio synch problems, the smudging under the screen and now we noticed the pixillation of the screen on the movie channels. For some reason it doesnt happen on basic cable channels. Bigger problem is that we are 3 weeks past our 30 day return window. We have an extended warrenty and plan on calling Best Buy to see what they say.

Johnnytv2004
Unregistered guest
For The BABE...
I have the HLP5063W, what a mistake.
Mine is working ok now, but it's been serviced three times already. Read posts from Mr. Lynch he as the JVC LCOS. "liquid crystal on silicon"
Newest technology I believe. I regret not going with the Toshiba DLP model# Toshiba 52" 52HMX84.
It's wider than the Samsung, but now having all the issues with Samsung I could have lived with the wider cabinet. JUST STAY AWAY FROM RCA DLP's, they are worse than the Samsungs. The RCA's work all the time it's just the picture is lousy compared to ALL other DLP's

Johnnytv2004
Unregistered guest
For The BABE...
I have the HLP5063W, what a mistake.
Mine is working ok now, but it's been serviced three times already. Read posts from Mr. Lynch he as the JVC LCOS. "liquid crystal on silicon"
Newest technology I believe. I regret not going with the Toshiba DLP model# Toshiba 52" 52HMX84.
It's wider than the Samsung, but now having all the issues with Samsung I could have lived with the wider cabinet. JUST STAY AWAY FROM RCA DLP's, they are worse than the Samsungs. The RCA's work all the time it's just the picture is lousy compared to ALL other DLP's

Username: Rampco

Post Number: 1
Just had to respond to one of the last posts that slammed the RCA DLPs as far the picture quality goes.

After much research and much reading of reviews/opinions over the past 3 months (both professional and consumer), I recently purchased a RCA DLP (I could have bought anything I wanted and the RCA was the last thing I looked at). The RCA's with the HD2+ chip has a picture quality and performance equal to anything else currently out there (HD3 chip equipped sets may be a differn't story, since they do have a softer picture but some like that too). The RCAs are litterly a steal (best bang for the buck) and offer top notch performance and features and compatiblity with other equipment,i.e. DVD recorders etc.

One thing I agree with the last post is that the RCA DLPs are almost problem free. I have read of hardly any problems and myself have had absolutely none, including cable card compatiblity with COMCAST!!!!!!! This is surprising from RCA (looks like RCA got it act together on this one).

Unregistered guest
I am at an University in Oregon, we have 24 Samsung DLP units in some of our classrooms. All working fine except for the sound in one of them. It appears that half the time the sound works fine, the other half of the time sound is only heard as the TV is loading up and once the picture appears the sound disappears. Just wondering anyone has run into a problem like this yet?

Username: Ajt011

Post Number: 5
Pigdog,

Regarding your post: https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=214731#POST214731

Have you contacted CC regarding the static noise? I've noticed this as well, but only twice, and only on HDTV channels (when I switched to Standard or Digital channels the static sound went). So I'm wondering if it's some kind of occasional problems with the signal from the cable operator or some kind of processing of HDTV signals with the tv. Have you noticed this problem only on HDTV channels or non-HDTV as well?

Vits
Unregistered guest
Just had a brand spanky HLP5063 dropped off today, came home all excited to set up our first big screen experience...got the TWO lights of death...which the Samsung manual says is the result of "A cooling fan not working normally". Having this happen straight out of the box is unbelievable! Now we have this really cool looking dead TV worth $3K hanging out in our living room, with our old 24" JVC I'Art soldiering on like it's nowhere near retirement and doesn't mind being put out to pasture. The local little guy who we got a great deal from is coming out to replace the set tomorrow. but I am starting to wonder...we did not get the extended warranty ($350CDN for 5 years) but now wonder if we should? Am I being paranoid here, is the one year warranty from Samsung not enough?

Post Reader
Unregistered guest
As an HLP5063W owner for almost a year now, I'm going to advise this:

It's a cutting edge technology...get the 5 year warranty!

It will need an occasional color wheel...get the 5 year warranty!

Make sure the warranty covers at least one lamp replacement.

That said, you have purchased the finest HD technology available. The picture quality is unmatched. The DMD has been rigorously tested and refined and will perform flawlessly in excess of 100,000 hours. Something has happened during shipping. All will be fine. Just get the warranty!!!

pbasta
Unregistered guest
J. Barnes - This post will answer all of your questions regarding the Sammy H-LP5685W that's sitting in our living room. One thing has come clearer to me as a result of buying this new technology - the HD monitor is very capable of displaying images of all kinds, and it will always display all the shortcommings of the source you are feeding it. Be aware that a "domino effect" can occur as you find out that it will take more effort & money to enjoy the same image you saw at the showroom on your new set at home. You may find yourself buying other equipment and ordering HD service, even if all you wanted was a "Home Theater" for your DVD's. Having said that - I researched the choices to the extent of at least knowing what I would be buying before laying out the cash. I think that DLP is the best image for the money at this time, unless your are willing to pay much more for a good Plasma set and understand that there are limitations even for the Plasma technology. The truth is, for me, that all of the choices have limitations and strengths: if you want to invest - at least try to find out what is acceptable to you and what isn't.

The "chip" in the 85 series Samsungs is the HD2+ TI version. See the posts earlier about this. Samsung has "tweaked" the chip with it's own propriatary enhancements - they call it 4th generation. The engine offers more contrast ratio to the screen. I can vouch for this; it's pretty damn good even in a bright room.

Non HD broadcasts and non HD sources (mine are: Adelphia Digital Cable - analog signals & Digital HBO; an older Lazer Disk player with composite out) look pretty good, generally, although some chanels look much better than others depending on Adelphia. I am satisfied with the look, even if it doesn't compare to the HD sources. The agravation occurs by having all sorts of quality being displayed on the same set. I have an upscalling DVD player that converts DVD's to 720p and 1080i to my set through HDMI digital cable - the image of this source is down right stunning: as you know, being a fellow camera operator, it has to be worth it to be able to say "stunning". This image capability makes up for the analog sources in my estimation.

The only noise I've heard is the fan kicking in when needed (not often) - and it's not objectionable to me. The TiVo fan is much more of a pain.

As far as masking for the 4:3 display - no choices for border color: black only. It actually doesn't need any color - the unused portion of the screen blends into the surrounding black area seemlessly.

As far as problems? Maybe 2. One problem seems to be getting used to the new technology of displays no matter what kind of set you end up with - it takes some getting used to. Another problem, again for me, would be the "rainbow effect" that is part of the DLP world. I knew that this effect could exist by choosing DLP - so I wasn't surprised when I discovered it. What I can say is that this effect is not what I thought it was going to be - even by reading all the posts here and elswhere. What seems to be happening is a visual effect between the eye and the displayed image that happens when you look side to side, or diagonally, rapidly. I see it more with DVD's than Cable, especially with dark scenes and bright highlights : a small red/blue edge at the highlite appears as your eye moves rapidly over it. It's obviously a product of the color wheel, the degree of contrast, and the eye's movement. I do not see this when viewing an HD 1080i Video source. This could have been a deal breaker had I not been aware of its existance. Bottom line: I now look diferently at the screen - I minimize this effect (not that I should have to!!) because the picture quality is so damn good. I have addressed the issue with Samsung (they even mention it in there support section FAQ's), and will let you know if there will be a true fix to this effect. I'm not sure if any DLP is totally imune to this effect. You should park yourself in a showroom with your favorite DVD being played back to see if this is a bother to you. My wife doesn't see this effect at all, neither do my neighbours - just me.
Hope this helps.

Johnnytv2004
Unregistered guest
Vits, GET THE WARRANTY !!!! I never do on small purchases. But this purchase I did, so far it's been worth every penny..

Johnnytv2004
Unregistered guest
Vits, GET THE WARRANTY !!!! I never do on small purchases. But this purchase I did, so far it's been worth every penny..

Unregistered guest
My HLP4663 which I purchased in Nov went to the three lights of death in December. The repair people (2 weeks of down time) installed new toshiba ballast and bulb. Now three weeks later the three lights of death returned, however an unplug sometimes makes the thing work again. What a piece of junk.

DLP for me!
Unregistered guest
They should have put a Phillips lamp in it. That was my fix. While you're waiting, no need to unplug to get it to fire off. During the first few seconds, gently rap on the lamp housing. She will light right up. Be patient and work through these issues. You know you bought the best picture available. You may run into a high pitched tone color wheel issue too. No big deal. It's cutting edge technology. Roll with it. The amazing picture resolution is worth it. Hope you got the extended warranty. If not, get it.

Post Number: 6
Every now and then I notice a static sound coming out of my HL-P5085W speakers when watching HDTV channels (I'm using Cox service). If I switch to the exact same non-HDTV channels, then I do not hear that static clicking sound. So it is only on HDTV channels. After a while, it then goes away.

Has anybody experieced this and does anybody have any suggestions what to do about it? I know that pigdog (see his post below) had mentioned something similar. I wonder if it's the HDTV cable service or the tv? I've had my tv for 2 months now. Should I ask to have it swapped out?

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 435
ad ja-
Sounds like is a broadcast issue. I've seen it happen a few times with my JVC and Comcast HD service. HD broadcasts are still in their infant stage with alot of problems that still occur. I'm sure your TV is just fine.

Sandman*72
Unregistered guest
I have the new samsung 46 inch dlp.I decided against the warranty but changed my mind after reading all of this. If you get this tv get the warranty. Since I have had it I have had the 3 lights of doom 3 or 4 times. My fix is to unplug the tv for about 30 seconds and plug it back in and it comes back on. But this is stupid for a $3,000 tv. If I could do this again I would go for the Sony wega lcd tv. I have not contacted a service tech yet on my warranty but plan to soon. Who the heck wants to worry about unplugging and plugging back in their tv to work. Now new problem this week screen goes black on my hd componet input with my cable box. And I have to cycle through the inputs and my picture is back. Samsung should recall this crap. I love the picture but is it really worth headaches like this? Anyone else having any of this problems.
Concerned Samsung Dlp tv owner who
just blew 3 grand.

Bronze Member
Username: Stuermer

IL USA

Post Number: 39
Sandman*72 (and others who have had the _sporadic_ 3 lights problem):

There appears to be a problem with the bulb un-seating (getting loose) in these TVs, preventing a good electrical contact with the bulb. I had this problem a couple months ago and opening the back and pushing the bulb in seemed to fix it.

A less intrusive (certainly less elegant) but potentially effective approach is simply to lift the front of the TV about an inch or so and let it drop back down; the moderate jarring can reseat the bulb as well. Just make sure you have an extended warranty before trying this one ;-)

Note also that the bulbs have been known to blow too so this might not work for everyone.

Bronze Member
Username: Gnnr

Saddle Brook, NJ USA

Post Number: 27
From the sound of things, having just bought a 46" sammy dlp and doing a heck of a lot of reading before it gets delivered this saturday, models before sept 04 were using toshiba bulbs and those bulbs apparently were not up to spec (no specific cause given, but having read here and on other forums it seems like it's a bad electrical contact and slightly off dimension fit causing arcing and a loose connection that unseats the bulb internally (I would think by heat expansion or some similar thermal and mechanical process), potentially with electrical damage). Models since Oct 04 (Dated manufacturing wise) are using essentially the same light engine (there is a seperate sound sync issue with a board fix incorporated, plus some other tweaks to the firmware) and a phillips or sammy bulb. People who have had a new bulb put in with the 3 lights of death problem are often up and running, but occasionally it's not enough as the engine has been damaged; people with the new engine and bulb seem to be off and running just fine (and the new engine fixes the sound sync issue for the most part too, though some people still have a touch of it which may be either their HT amp or a degraded signal from their cable box/dvd/game system, etc).

Post Number: 7
Mr. Lynch: thanks for your response. I feel comfortable in knowing that some others with different HDTVs and HD services have experienced the same thing. Best regards.

pigdog
Unregistered guest
Jimbo in Dallas, Thanks for your reply from January 13th.

I would return the TV, but I have a good colour wheel. Makes me wonder if I have the lesser of two evils.

As a follow-up, I did some experimenting and found that the problem does not recur if I turn off the internal speakers altogether. Since I run most of my audio except antenna through my AV reciever, this seems like a small inconvenience.

Thanks again for your reply, though.

-pigdog

drbeebo
Unregistered guest
just purchased the sammy 5674 dlp. has anyone had problems with the new screen layout?

Informed DLP Owner
Unregistered guest
Don't tell us you have screen smudges on that new 74 series? I haven't heard the first bad word on that series.

Unregistered guest
i cant say enough about my sammy... i have had it for almost a year with no problems... it is the hln43w and i bought it at c.c. I did not purchase the extended warranty and dont think i will need it, i am almost at a year on it now. I think people hype up the problems more than they need to, and others tend to think that this is a problem plagued set, when in fact i feel that only people who have or had problems with their set are the only ones talking about it. How many times have you had a great product and went to a forum and told everyone in that forum about it... probabley not very often. As for the sync problem i have only seen it on my tv a few times on HD brodcasts, and i think it is just a brodcast problem, but i may be wrong on that?

Bronze Member

NJ USA

Post Number: 49
Just got my 46" and love it. No noise, no image issues, no dead pixels or screen discolorations, bright and perfect. Made in Dec 04

One thing I noticed with it and my new SD-5970 Toshiba DVD player... all movies are still showing with a top/bottom box. DVD is set to 16:9 and nothing on the set looks like it would be set wrong or cause this... this being my first widescreen TV, is this normal? All my movies are widescreen format for the most part, especially the ones I played today/tonight in testing and adjustments.

Any ideas?

johnnytv2004
Unregistered guest
Mr Cox. look at the back of the DVD box . Widescreen 1:85 to 1 should show no bars.
2:35 to 1 will show bars, because its a wider format than the 16:9 HD format. I have the same combo as you only the 50" sammy.

tp
Unregistered guest
I've had the HLP4663 since October and it has been great, and have posted to this list regarding my happiness, but last night had the 3 lights of death. I unplugged and plugged back in and it worked fine and worked fine today, but I've read that the best course of action is to call Samsung immediately and tell them I want the bulb/engine replaced. Can anyone tell me if this is indeed the best course of action at this point? Is it the bulb or engine or both that I should get replaced? What kind of push-back am I likely to get from Samsung on this? Should I "embelish" the story of the problem (say it happened several times, rather than wait for the TV to stop working and then have no TV for several weeks while waiting for replacement)?
Thanks in advance for the help.

Post Reader
Unregistered guest
It just needs a new Phillips lamp. 1-800 SAMSUNG won't give you any trouble. They will fax a service request to your local repair shop and give you the shop's number to call and set up a time. No need to wait or hype the problem. I have called them twice and they are excellent. No need to unplug and replug. Do one of two things. Fire it up and leave it on 24/7 (recommended) or gently rap on the lamp housing during the first few seconds. By the way, the color wheel will get a high pitch whine next. No big deal. Call them again. The new one has better bearings.

tp
Unregistered guest
Thanks - is it possible to get the wheel done at the same time as the lamp, or do I have to wait until the whine actually starts? I suspect they won't replace it before it acts up, even if the problem is more of a "when" than an "if".

drbeebo
Unregistered guest
No I haven't had any problems yet INFORMED
In fact I haven't even received the 5674 yet, but when I starting reading about the "smudge"
problem I wanted to know if this has happened on the 5674

Mr. Gary
Unregistered guest
I have learned to take some of these postings with a grain of salt. SAMSUNG outsells all other brands, so thIS GENERATES more postings. My HLP-5063W has performed flawlessly since early November. The picture quality is STUNNUNG! My personal feeling is that DLP provides the most picture qualiity for the buck.
Concern items reported in these threads.
1. Bulb problems. My TV was manufactured in Sept. 04, and has a lamp code of BP96-00608A(P). I verified with Samsung support that the (P) means that the set has the newer Phillips lamp system, and should last the estimmated life of the bulb.
2. Sync problem. Barely noticeable. Sometimes on some HD channels very noticeable - but next channel - ok. My conclusion - not the TV, but transmission problems as why would one be OK, and not the other. A delay in the box would affect everything the same I would think.
3. Smudge - I do have some on right side. Don't notice it unless I look really hard. Will get fixed near end of my 1 year factory warranty. Don't let a repair man replace the light engine for this issue as I have heard!!! It is a problem with the screen surface
4. Rainbow - - I have to work really hard to see this affect. Normal TV watching - not visible.
I have called Samsung service three times just for questions. Calls picked up almost immediately, and information provided helpful. Any electronic device shipped in volume will have some DOA's. THis is new technology - buy the extended warranty. The biggest selling point on this tv is the picture - I LOVE IT!

Anonymous

Just took a Samsung 46" DLP out of the box yesterday. I am having intermittant static with a blue and green tint in the picture. Has anyone else seen this issue?

Username: Brooky

Thunder Bay, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2
It amazes me why anyone would buy a Sammy DLP after reading the threads on here. It really does...

Post Reader
Unregistered guest
I'm siding with Mr. Gary. My Sammy P5063W is absolutely fabulous. The picture quality is unmatched by anything I've seen to date. The issues on these threads represent a fraction of the market. Anyone who would settle for anything less than the best HD picture obtainable and the longest lasting technology (30+ year DMD) for the thousands they're spending must be a complete idiot. Lamps and color wheels are getting cheaper and are a snap to replace. Failed LCD displays are not cheap or easy. DLP is cutting edge stuff, so, an extended warranty is just plain smart.

Anon, what's your signal source? What connection are you using? Tried a DVD yet? Cable or Sat? Help us out here, so we can help you out.

tp, you have heard it whine from time to time...right? Sure you have!

phillyphan
Unregistered guest
I just purchased HLP4663W last week. The picture was great even w/ analog cable (HD comming this week). This morning, the color turned red for channels via the ANT input, but DVDs played perfect. New cable box will use DVI, but I would still like the ANT inputs to work. Any thoughts?

Post Reader
Unregistered guest
That problem is new! Cycle it off and on a few times, letting the fan cool the lamp before restarting, of course. It can't be the color wheel because DVD's look fine. DVI is over-rated. Most of us prefer the component connections. Let us know how it turns out. You may have some shipping damage. I haven't heard that problem before, though.

Username: Asm

Post Number: 5
Hi,

Just bought a HL-P5063W Samsung. When I am watching a non-HD channel (analag or digital) I have grey bars on the sides. I was trying to remove them by changing the picture size to Panaroma /zoom1 / ???
but these feature are diasbled in my TV.
Any idea on how to extend the regular channel to full screen display?

Thanks

johnnytv2004
Unregistered guest
ASM, are you using cable ? if so what cable co. and STB make/model do you use ? You probably have to tell the STB you have a 16:9 tv. Let us know

Anonymous

Do you think that 720P users will be left out of the loop by years end since Manufacturers are jumping on the 1080p[i] bandwagon?

Has anyone seen the difference and is it very noticable?

Bronze Member

NJ USA

Post Number: 59
ASM... it's your cable box (at least if you are connected digitally via component or DVI). Got my HD box today and it does that... before it was black bars, now it's dark grey ones (lit) and it sucks. I am all over Cablevision about PQ on all channels (everything is rasterized 95% fo the time and looks awful) and yet DVDs look fine and if I throw the older box on there (I have one for an upstairs cable connect, identical to the one they replaced) it looks fine. Bastages. I had acceptable SD images before, but now it's almost painful to try and watch... the grey bars... the really bad digital and HD IQ/PQ is over the top (and weird because occasionally it pops in just fine)... and sound not comming on with each channel when you change it (for up to 30 stinking seconds!!!).

Post Reader
Unregistered guest
I was afraid of that Mr. C.

You won't be happy until you get a Samsung SIR TS360 Direct TV/Terrestrial receiver. Cable sucks! Signal splitting, degraded analog, feature disrupting cable just sucks! I read it on this forum all the time. Anyone with a big screen HD set needs a great Sat signal, period.
Sorry man! I know how disappointed you are.

troubled in st.louis
Unregistered guest
Hi,
I have the audio sync problem on my HL-P4663w. They have replaced the digital board, analog board and the light engine without any luck. The next thing we tryed was the sound delay option thru the system menu. I tryed 0,1,2 and 3 and none of these make a difference. I'm tired of jumping thru hoops to try to fix this. samsung tells me this only happens in a small percentage of these tvs but I got my doubts. And I get this audio sync problem thru my tv speakers and my stereo system speakers as well.

Other than replacing the tv with a new one and taking a chance it does not do this, does anyone have any new fixes I can try first?

Post Reader
Unregistered guest
No...make'em give you the 4674. Don't take no for an answer. Don't pay any difference if they ask you too. You have been their test ground long enough to deserve it. They will do it if you press them.

Post Reader
Unregistered guest
Anon,

Concerning 720P vs 1080P, I don't think the 720p owners will be "out of the loop" for decades. It's a stunning resolution with no motion artifact. Format conversion will be going on from now on to whatever the new set's native resolution is. I think that 1080P may become a long-lasting standard, but not a replacement.

Bronze Member

NJ USA

Post Number: 60
Okay, cable is fixed and it is mind blowing. SD looks really good (better than before), digital channels are a mix of good to amazing, and HD is just so good I don't have words... much better than what I saw in the store for instance. Wow.

I do have a concern now about the set... after they connected my HD cable everything was sort of rasterized looking. IE, visible lines between colors, banding. Much of it was the signal, but in a late night test last night before the cable was fixed at the neighborhood junction box I noted some banding on DVDs as well (minor, mostly in bright colors such as say a sunrise or sunset)... and it flickered in and out from perfect to this banding when I paused the DVD image (it's over HDMI).

I freaked out big time and called Samsung at 11:30PM (yes, they were there and helpful, very much surprised). They had me reset the set (I argued with the phone person about unplugging my set and related to him all the problems peole have had doing that due to thermal issues... I made him wait several minutes after turning the set off before unplugging it). Now the image is perfect... apparently it had flipped out a bit because of having PC, DVI, and HDMI all plugged in (though only DVI and HDMI were operating) as well as two components.

I am supposed to have a local tech call me and I am going to pick his brain about whether this is a one off problem or a signal of a major pending problem with something.

berockin1
Unregistered guest
Mr. COX. I have Cablevision you have to go in and configure the STB.. I can help you if you want.
email me and I can walk you through it berockin1@yahoo.com if you want.

Bronze Member

NJ USA

Post Number: 62
I am familiar with the menu... it's set to fixed for video output (tried DVI, comp1 and 2, variable, etc) and they made NO difference to the picture (must be the DVI connection). The borders are on 'dark' which is really dark grey (how retarded!)... those are about the only menu options that effect video quality. Is there something else?

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 456
Mr. Cox-

What type of cable box are you using? If it is a motorola box you can switch the side bars to black by setting the 4:3 override to "off". I'm not sure if this applies to your case though.

Bronze Member

NJ USA

Post Number: 63
Sci-Atlanta HD box from NJ cablevision/IO. Not sure of model off hand, but it's identical in front/top/side appearance to the one it replaced, only has different connectors in back for HD support.

berockin1
Unregistered guest
you have the 4200HD , what connection are you using DVI or Component ? You have to run the HD setup Wizard. Try this. With the TV on and the STB off. Simultaneously press "info & guide at the same time. On the STB NOT the remote. use the advanced set up button "B" I think. When it asks you to save resolutions. You have to save 1080i,720p and 480p "STD" only. Exit out to save that. Press settings one I think and select picture size normal. exit out again. Then press settings twice and scroll up until you see picture format, If it doesnt already say AUTO-DVI then change to Auto-DVI and you should be all set.
This feature lets the TV do the 720p conversion and stretches the 4:3 content way better than the STB could ever do... Report back that it worked for you.

Bronze Member

NJ USA

Post Number: 65
Will take a look at it tonight and see if this works.

Thanks!

They need to dish a manual with these units.

Berockin1
Unregistered guest
They need to better train the techs, to do more than just check to see if you get a picture then run out the door. That should work just fine for you. It lets the STB pass the signal along untouched and lets the TV do all the work. It really was a welcomed feature over a year ago. Before that the STB had to stretch to fill the screen, making it look way to distorted. The TV stretches things much more smoothly.. I have the HLP5063W and all is fine

Bronze Member

NJ USA

Post Number: 66
I am still worried about the 'rasterization' problem I saw (I think this is the right term... looks like 32bit downshifted to 24 or 16 bit color, lines distinguishing color gradients). Wasn't there this morning and it was on for over an hour but I am was seriously thinking it was just my HD STB acting up big time when apparently it was a hair of signal issue and the TV itself not liking having had both the digital connections (DVI and HDMI) being jacked in while it was on.

berockin1
Unregistered guest
Check your signal levels also. You can do that by holding the pause button down on the remote until the led light on the STB starts to flash, then press page up to scroll through the screens. Any singal levels in listed ORANGE are a problem and may require a CV visit.
I have all inputs on my TV going and have never seen what you're trying to describe. HD DVR going to DVI via HDMI adaptor. HD Satellite going into Component1, DVD player going to HDMI, and PS2 on Component2. Let us know.

Username: Robbie

Monroe, NY USA

Post Number: 8
Note to berockin1:
I have problem with DVI & HDCP. See https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=201018#POST201018
Do you have any knowledge? Called to the switch manuf who said SciAtl firmware. Called Cablevision who couldn't help me at all.
Thanks

Samsung Sorry
Unregistered guest
I just purchased a HL-P4663W on 1/17/05 from BB. Also bought the extended warranty, thank goodness. Out of the box, upon initial setup any button I pushed on the remote, or manual buttons on the side caused the set to go to standby and turn off. BB replaced set with same model this past Monday. Exchanged set cranked up with the high-pitched color wheel whine. BB again has agreed to exchange with a new 4663W.

I had researched and took the negative posts with a grain of salt. Now I'm a believer in the quality control nightmares associated with this set.

3 strikes and it's out.

Davemusic
Unregistered guest
Just got the HLP5085W from Best Buy(With Warranty) and I have the pincushion/curve issue reported above and was wondering if anybody has successfully fixed this with either a sevice call or tweak? Thanks.

berockin1
Unregistered guest
Robbie J.
I've never used a DVI switcher I don't know anyone who has either. Is it a Gefen? I heard those are the best ones. How many DVI devices do you have hooked up? If you're not currently using the HDMI port for anything you can get an adaptor to run a DVI device in that port. Monster makes one, model# M339-1040. I got one of those for $22 bucks it's great. Sorry if that was of no help..

Monroe, NY USA

Post Number: 9
brockin1:
Its a 2 port ETronics switch. DVD on other port is just fine. TV is the HLN series which only has a DVI interface. Likewise on the 4200HD. Sigh!

berockin1
Unregistered guest
Ah.. I thought you had the HLP series... What resolutions do you have saved in the 4200HD ? On my HLP you can have 480i going through DVI. Try saving only 1080i, 720p & 480p STD only if you haven't already.

berockin1
Unregistered guest
Robbie J

I meant to say I CANT have 480i going through my DVI port. It only accepts 480p or better.

Bronze Member

NJ USA

Post Number: 68
Did your cable box menu suggestion, worked as explained. Unfortunately the rasterization/color problem persists. Line signal is fine. BB is replacing the set... looks like the engine board is futzed up. Called Sammy and they suggested replacement too. BB is replacing on expedited service, should have new one Friday eve. I hope that I didn't cause this though... plugged in component and DVI from HD STB while set was on (would think that's not a problem, but you never know - read several accounts on these HD RPTVs here that this kind of thing has happened plugging in hot, but seems kind of ridiculous).

Post Reader
Unregistered guest
Does this "raterization" effect occur with component connections or just on the DVI? Just curious. I had several problems with my DVI connection from the STB and finally gave up. My component 1 hook-up is fine, though.

berockin1
Unregistered guest
Glad to hear the side bars are gone : ).
On the 4200HD if you use DVI it disables the component out anyway. That's the way it used to be anyway. I have the 8300HD DVR now, si I'm going off memory. It must be the TV. You're lucky getting it replaced so quickly, with it being so close to Superbowl...

Bronze Member

NJ USA

Post Number: 69
The rasterization (probably not a good term, but think that instead of 32bit true color it is displaying more like 16 bit or even 8bit) happens on all inputs, even HDMI DVD (though not to the same degree. The picture was just flawless the day I got it and the following day, but by the third day I noticed it was happening on some channels, but not to a big extent so I thought it was just the SD signal (and I was going to get a Motorola booster to help that). After the HD box went in i noticed it more and by the evening after the install it was happening 90% of the time to one degree or another (some HD feeds looked relatively good but the problem was there, ala DVD... some HD channels looked like 8bit however and just awful). Now it's 100% of the time, but a call to BB and they are all over it. Still, it's a pisser and makes me wonder if even the new, after Sept 04 DLPs have big problems too... unfortunately the Sammy's have the best DLP image and best input options too and I am actually using PC, HDMI, and DVI so I want that feature.

The bars go away on most channels with those settings, though the TV has to take a moment or four to switch resolutions and set itself up from one HD channel to the next, depending on output. Yeah, DVI disables component output on the box (but not S-Video, oddly enough).

berockin1
Unregistered guest
but with those settings now, you can still stretch the HD channels. Say HBO is showing and older movie and they show it in 4:3. you can press settings once and stretch it. Having it set to fixed, only let you ZOOM etc. This the optimal setting, other than the rez change delay. But it's a small price to pay to let the SAMMY do the up/down convert stretching etc. ENJOY

Bronze Member

NJ USA

Post Number: 70
Oh, I know... and interestingly enough some stretch out automatically too.

Username: Berockin1

NJ

If any other Cablevision guys need help let me know.

GGG
Unregistered guest
I have HLP5063W. My cable company is Comcast. I noticed that on digital channels picture looks like a 24 bit or even 16 bit instead of a true 32 bit. HD channels look fantastic. Analog channels look ok. Digital channels are the only once having this problem. It is not too bad and doesn't interfere with viewing. But, it is a bit annoying. Anyway, I was wondering if this is a problem with the TV or the signal. Does anyone know?

Username: Berockin1

NJ

Mr. Cox. Yep it's working exactly like it's supposed to. The TV is now up converting it all to 720p 16:9.

Monroe, NY USA

Post Number: 10
berockin1:

Yep, I've been all through that stuff, I settled on 720p & 1080i. Question to anyone is, when using DVI or HDMI and a SciAtl 4200HD cable box (Cablevision for me) does anyone get a screen tha says HDCP incompatible (thats not verbatum) either flashing by or steady.

Bronze Member
Username: Stuermer

IL USA

Post Number: 42
mr cox, berockin, robbie j et al.

I would like to suggest you start a new thread on these SciAtl boxes with samsung DLPs.. Many of us merely have the TV and dont have that box, and are getting flooded with your thread of discussion. Clearly it is valuable, but please start this in a new thread.

johnnytv2004
Unregistered guest
The thread doesn't bother me, it may keep people from returning perfectly good Sammy's. Most people have their Cable boxes set up wrong. The installers dont know what they're doing. And most people never change settings and dont get the most out of their TV's

Klaus
Unregistered guest
I have found that the best setting for the cable box is pass-through which sends 480i, p, 720p and 1080i from the box to the component 1 on the 4674W. The set then converts to its native resolution (720p). The electronics in the Samsung are far superior to the "buy em by the 1000s and give em away" cable box electronics.

Username: Johnhenry

I'm having the same 720p conversion issue on standard broadcasts that Mr. Cox had. I have Comcast cable with a Motorola box and see now way of changing any settings. My standard broadcasts were okay with component. When I switched to DVI the HDTV channels worked great, but the standard channels stayed in sort of a stretched 4:3...still black bars on the side. I tried switching back to component but the problem is still there.

Can anybody help?

Username: Johnhenry

Disregard my last post. I found the Motorola users guide. Somehow I had to reset my 4:3 Overide back to 480i so that I could let the 4663 convert to 720p. For those of you who don't already know how to do this. Turn off the cable box, keep the TV on and press menu on the cable box...go from there.

Username: Bigevil2

I just purchased the HLP5063W. I'm having delay problem with playing PS2 games. Mostly on Madden '05. Try kicking a field goal. Or SoCom, the gun doesn't fire when button is pressed. There is a slight delay in the action. Can anybody fix this, or should I just exchange the DLP for an LCD? Please advise.

FYI
Unregistered guest
You won't like LCD for other reasons. The HLP5074 doesn't have a lag, nor do the Toshi and RCA DLP's. Take the player with you to the store and try it out.

Unregistered guest
How do you know when it's time to replace the bulb? My 18 month old HLN507W Samsung DLP doesn't seem as bright or sharp as it was new. I would estimate 2500 hours on the original bulb. The set was purchased at Circuit City along with the 4 year extended warranty. When I bought the warranty I was told the bulb would be a covered repair. I was skeptical at the time. Looks like I'm about to find out. This seems like an awful short lifespan for the bulb. Thoughts?
Thanks,
B.W.

DLP for Me!
Unregistered guest
I think 18 months may be a pretty good stretch for that lamp. The dimming is the sign that it's on it's way out. You may be entirely wrong about the 2500 hours of use. For instance, 550 days at a conservative 8 hour average is 4400 hours. My set as been on as much as 18 hours on some days. Granted it's not watched every minute, but it's on. Your Phillips lamp looks to be about $174 on the parts site. It will look like a brand new set when the new lamp is in. Hope it's covered for for ya.

Unregistered guest
Thanks for responding. I considered our useage again and I can't imagine there are more than 3500 hours on the bulb. Perhaps that's not unusual although its way below what I was told to expect when I purchased the set. Can you tell me about the parts site you referred to? Tnakks, B.W.

DLP for Me!
Unregistered guest
Here it is! Enter your model, hlp507w, then in the "bottom" box select your model again.

http://www.samsungparts.com/search/search.asp

bjkhere
Unregistered guest
Please Help!! Just got the 4663 delivered and a little disappointed in time lapse between power on and picture (about 30 secs.). Is that right? Also, have local cable provider hd tuner (comcast) and the pictures on non-hdtv are very blurry and seem like double images...hd pictures are great. Is this the way it is supposed to be? How can I make my picture on non-hdtv better?

FYI
Unregistered guest
Yea, that's the way they fire up! You must have gotton spoiled by those instant-on sets. The lamp takes time to light up.
What did they do? Split your weak crappy signal to feed the box and a seperate input on the tv or is the analog cable trash before it hits the house? Cable sucks! Make them fix it or ditch them for Direct TV. Your non-HD or what we call standard def (SD) should look fine to watch.

FYI
Unregistered guest
I saw this post:

Gabe:I have had the 4674 since 2 weeks before Thanksgiving and no problems yet. I did have a cable box which was responsible for horrible regular TV channels.

GGG
Unregistered guest
bjkhere,

I have a 5063 plugged to digital box with HD tuner (Comcast). Non-HD channels look fine on my TV. Contact Comcast and tell them to fix it.

As for time laps between power-up and picture, it takes about 5 seconds for me to start seeing a picture (although it is dark). It takes about 30 seconds to achieve full brightness.

bjkhere
Unregistered guest
GGG, Thanks for your help. I will call Comcast and hope for better results!! I wonder if Direct TV would be better?

FYI
Unregistered guest
Absolutely!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us