Question re: color shifting on video tapes...

Username: Rorion

Post Number: 1
Hi. I have recently replaced my very old RCA VCR with a new Panasonic VCR/DVD player. I have a less than one-yeal-old Panasonic TV. However, I have noticed that some of my video tapes now display a sort of intermittent color fluctuation, most noticable as a fluctuation in flesh tones from a regular tint to a very reddish one. These effects are not random; i.e. they occur at the same points on the tapes every time. On my basement setup, an old Sharp TV and a three-year-old RCA VCR, viewing the same tapes, the effect is either not present or else is so minor that it is basically unnoticable. Do I have a faulty VCR, or is there some other explanation for this? Thank you.

Post Number: 4
Anyone?

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 653
Combos are very poor quality units. If you can try connecting a seperate VCR to the same TV and see what happens. Use RCA jacks if possible for the best quality instead of coax.

Post Number: 6
David, I will try that. As a follow-up, if I do what you suggest and find that the problem is eliminated, does that mean that the combo unit is defective, or are such problems typical with these units? Also, if it helps, the tapes I am having trouble with are all fairly new and are store-bought, so I think they can be eliminated as the source of the problem (interestingly enough, I actually don't seem to get the same problems, or at least not nearly as bad, with a few old tapes I have lying around that I recorded myself).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us