Why would someone want to send a video signal to an audio reciever

Username: Bottledz28

Post Number: 2
Why do most average priced Home theater receivers have so many video connections on the back of them? My Onkyo 701 has 7 video inputs and 3 video outputs. Correct me if I am wrong but wouldnt using the reciever for a video path just degrade the quality of the video signal a bit. Why would go from a DVD player to the reciever, then to the TV? I may be answering my own question with the next statement but would someone use the video connections if they didnt have enough on the TV? How well does an Audio reciever transfer a digital video signal.

Still Learning
Unregistered guest
Well...here's my take.

I have the 602 and I use the optical audio for the DVD and the Direct TV/Terrestrial Receiver. So, I have to switch the audio feed anyway. If I run my component video through the Onkyo then I don't have to change the input on the tv too. I just leave the set on component 1. Also, I have four cameras set up around the house. These are standard RCA video connects from the front walk, the driveway, and both sides of the house. If the doorbell rings or I here a strange sound, those views are a button away. Some security cameras have audio too, but mine don't. Then, there are game players, PS2, XBox, etc. Another thing is that the on-screen menu for the Onkyo would have to be placed on a different tv input to be seen. I hooked my video up direct and I didn't see any improvement, so, the loss must be very little.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us