Need Fast suggestions/recommendations on TV Purchase.

Username: Gnnr

Saddle Brook, NJ USA

Post Number: 1
Heyas,

New here obviously. Big movie buff and looking to upgrade my nice but non-HD capable tube from Toshiba (nice 36" model if anyone in NJ area is interested) to something HD capable.

I am going to get it at BB given their excellent finance options and discounts/rebates/sales right now. I am a bit overwhelmed right now though as to the technology of RPTV.

I have looked at Plasma and LCD and they are out of my price league... wife would disown me. :-) As such this leaves me with RPTV.

I have a 14 x 20 living space (living room) setup with the TV and stereo/TV stand on one long wall and the seating arrangements opposite against the other wall. I want to be able to see the TV clearly from all of the seating areas and it would be nice to be able to discern it from the adjoining kitchen through the breakfast bar area as well (if possible).

I will be getting HD cable, currently on Optimum Online/CableVision... will get their DVR box too. I have a movie collection of several hundred DVDs, mostly widescreen - avid movie watcher, but I also want GOOD quality analog/SD on the unit I get as we watch the news and a lot of things like Mtv, ESPN, HBO, VOD, Discovery/History, and now the Military Channel.

I may occasionally run a concole (XBox on it) as well as hook up my Dell Laptop (See my info for more info if needed), but primarily view time will be split between analog TV (40%) DVDs (40%) and HD TV (cable, 20%).

My concerns are with view angle, burn in issues, analog and digital/HD video quality, price.

I am looking at BB right now and figure to spend no more than 3K on a RPTV unit. I will probalby buy a new DVD player, at least a proggressive unit but probably one with DVI output and upping.

So, given those criteria, I am looking at the following three units from BB. Which one will best suit my needs? I don't want a bigger screen than this and since I am currently on a nice 36 analog flat screen I don't want to go much smaller or it will be like loosing some view space in 4:3 perspective. Each of the following represents a different technology (DLP, LCoS, and LCD).

I don't care about a fixed/built in Cable or HD tuner since I will rely on cable or sattelite to provide those (it is a bonus however if it has it and I will get a good external antennae if it does have one built in).

ttp://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1089890509997&skuId=6784474&productCategoryI d=pcmcat31800050029&type=product

Sony Grand WEGA 50" Widescreen Rear-Projection LCD HDTV with HDMI Input

Model: KDF50WE655

OR

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1083712380458&skuId=6337635&productCa tegoryId=pcmcat31800050028&type=product

Philips 55" Widescreen HD-Ready LCOS TV w/DVI Input & 2-Tuner PIP

Model: 55PL9524S

or

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1077628470324&skuId=6476547&productCa tegoryId=pcmcat31800050029&type=productc

Samsung 50" Widescreen HD-Ready DLP-Projection TV with DVI and HDMI Input - Silver/Black

Model: HL-P5063W

I hear good things about all three, and bad things. LCoS seems awfully new and immature, LCD has the least chance of burn in but is also the least bright and has a narrower view angle than DLP. DLP units seem nice, but I am reading about fast bulb burnout (and high cost) plus noise and rainbowing (Which would bother me to NO END).

I do understand that analog cable/sattelite IQ is less than a tube monitor, btw.

Threlkis
Unregistered guest

Model: KDF50WE655

A Radio Shack $50 indoor amplified antenna with gain control allows me to receive all available OTA Hi Def (incredible picture) programs. All these sets have so so analog picture. Replaced splitter and cable from wall to tv which improved analog. DVD looks great. Absolutely no problems so far with this set. My $.02

Anonymous

Don't get a rear projection, you'll be very unhappy. The extra $$$ for an lcd or plasma is well worth it.

Anonymous

To efficiently focus a limited amount of light onto a broad surface area, the output of a rear-projection TV is limited to a relatively narrow viewing area compared to other big-screen options; the picture tends to fade and discolor as one moves away from the central axis of the screen. It is generally necessary to darken a sunlit room to view a rear-projection TV. Because of this the contrast is generally poor and the color not as vivid as the more widely prefered LCD or Plasma direct view TV's.

Anonymous

for movie and NFL football watchers at least, once you see a 92 inch plus widescreen optimized HD picture, you won't ever think about plasma or smaller tv's again

The old rules are no longer applicable with the new generation LCDs front projectors. A number of new projectors just hit the market, most noticeably the Panasonic PT-AE700U LCD front projector, which will deliver a near perfect rendition of an in-(commercial)theater experience - all for a price of 2200 dollars with professional screens now selling for less than $200

ok you cannot have direct sunlight and darker is better, but the room can have some light as the brightness of this unit is quite good

the color in fact is vivid and the picture razor sharp with excellent contrast

you won't ever see these units on display in BestBuy - otherwise few would buy the other TV's

Silver Member
Username: Vindsl

Post Number: 107
Take it from the smartest guy on this web site... :-)

If you're worried about the 'brightness', all I can tell you is, it's a whole different ball-game when you get it to your place, unless you have 100's of flourescent lights in your living room. It'll be plenty bright enough, believe me...

Silver Member
Username: Vindsl

Post Number: 108
You know, I was just re-reading your omnibus first post, and I 'feel your pain'. You have done a LOT of 'legwork', and now you're trying to put it all together. You feel empowered, but you know your limited knowledge is mostly B.S. and hype, and you're growing tired of it. You want to cut to the chase...

My recommendation is still the same. I don't feel like addressing all the issues on your mind, but I'll try to hit the highlights.

Plasma: they're great, but basically they're a throw-away TV. The problem with plasma screens is they tend to loose their 'gas', literally. When that happens, you throw them away and buy a new one. End of problem.

DLP: you got a light going a single chip, bouncing off a rotating mirror. Red, green, blue, red, green, blue, red, green, blue, yada, yada, yada. It's basically smoke 'n' mirrors, but it works okay until the rotating mirror sticks. They have other (more subtle) problems too, like color artifacts, audio/video sync problems, clay-faces, 'rainbow effect', et cetera, but some ppl actually like that sort of stuff, believe it or not. Look for a three-chip solution in the future, but don't hold your breath...

LCD: you got a light shining through three chips. This works better. It's not perfect, but it's the best thing going, IMHO - today - Jan 2005. Usually the only thing that goes bad is the bulb. 200 bones for a new bulb, put it in yourself, and you're back in business.

LCOS: this is where the future lays, but it isn't quite there yet. You have three chips, with a light shining through them, to a fixed mirror, and back again. It's basically a mixture between DLP and LCD. This is where everyone is headed. When 'they' perfect LCOS, and get the price down, the only decision will be which LCOS to buy.

Moving along, if you're a gamer, don't buy DLP. You WILL be sorry! Period.

Viewing angle - whatever. None of them are worth jack. They're projectors, and they project out the front, not the sides. That will always be the sweet-spot.

Distance - my Sony GW looks better from the kitchen table, than the sofa. I don't know why this is, exactly, but the point is - distance is NOT a problem.

Analog vs. Digital - No contest! Analog looks horrible, digital looks okay. Depending on content, sometimes DTV looks worse than analog (local news shows being a prime example) HD will make you cream yourself. What else can I say? HD is what it's all about - the more the better. Everything else is going to be a bitter disappointment, no matter what you buy. That's just the way it is...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us