Widescreen TV - newbie question about sizing

Username: Volan

Post Number: 1
I just got a 26" widescreen LCD TV (Dell W2600). When I go into the On-Screen menu there are several options for "size". Options are: Standard, Zoon, 4:3, widescreen, fullscreen. I know what zoom and 4:3 do, but I have no idea what standard, widescreen and fullscreen do.

My TV is connected to a digital cable box. Most of my TV viewing is regular analogue TV (network channels, etc).

I've noticed that the video image gets stretched, but I'm not sure if there is any difference between the 3.

Can someone tell me what the 3 functions are what what I should be using for general TV viewing? Thanks.

arrow224
Unregistered guest
Widescreen should be in 16:9 ratio.

Not sure what standard is.

Fullscreen, I guess, would be taking the broadcast image, and stretching it so it fills the whole screen.

Silver Member
Username: Vindsl

Post Number: 103
Not sure what the names mean on your TV, but on my Sony, I normally use 'full'. However, I use the others from time-to-time, depending on the circumstances. This is something you need to decide for yourself...

One thing I might mention, with most HDTV's, when they are in high-def, you cannot change the viewing mode. They are usually 'stuck' in 16:9 fullscreen mode. So, when and if you run across this situation, don't think your set is broken. This is normal!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us