VCR Repair: Capacitor Question

Username: Richard_d

Houston, Tx USA

Post Number: 1
Hi. I am new to the forum but had a quick question. My JVC VCR went dead and I opened it up and saw a fuse blown and a capacitor leaking some brown stuff. I checked the cap with a multimeter and it registered out of range or an open cap. All other caps had a reading, so I thinks its safe to assume the cap is bad.

I live in Houston. The capacitor is a 3300 uf 16 V. I called some stores like radio shack and others and all but a VCR repair store had it for $17.00. I looked at my spare parts and noticed I have an unused 3300 uf 25 V capacitor. Can I use the 25 V cap in place of the 16V one? Also is there polarity on the capacitor? I don't want to invest too much money on the VCR as new ones are so cheap and are becoming obsolete. Any help would be apreciated.

Any other stores that carry parts cheaper?

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 562
Yes, you can go over on voltage. Most VCR capacitors are polarized, the board should have marks, look at another one and you'll see how it should be installed.

Anonymous

Good idea, look at another cap. - should be ground. check with ohm meter from the other cap to the bad cap for ground.

Unregistered guest
This is a General Electric model VG4262 VCR made by Daewoo.
It exhibits poor record/playback video and audio on the slow SLP only. SP play/record video and audio is OK. Looks like tracking is off, but adjusting the tracking does not resolve the problem. Anyone have any ideas of what I should look at???

Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us