TV Has Built in Tuner - Do I Need the HD Cable Box?

ISH
Unregistered guest
my recently purchased HDTV has a built-in tuner. I also currently have a (non-HD) digital cable box. Can I just hook this cable box up through my TV and system and will I still get all the HD channels because of the built-in tuner, or do I still need to get an HD cable box?

Anonymous

you will need a completely separate HD Box, e,g Comcast, despite having an internal tuner

Of course if you are happy with just 3 to 5 over the air local hi def channels, all you would generally need is a cheap HDTV settop antenna - assuming you are within 20 to 40 miles of a major urban area

Gary Z
Unregistered guest
What is the advantage of buying an HDTV with an internal tuner if you still need an antenna or HD box? It's usually cheaper to buy "HD Ready".

Anonymous

main advantage is simplicity. Many people can hook in an antenna, yet few would know how to hookup a settop over the air (e.g Samsung)HI DEF box with the components cables etc.

antennas are rock bottom -e.g. actual purpose-made HDTV settop style antennas are 35 dollars and they work great for many. In fact a 2 dollar UHF can sometimes work

HD-ready is usually cheaper and better for people that want and need cable or SAT

However, Walmart currently selling a 30 inch Sanyo widescreen for as low at $650 with integrated hi def tuner - basically giving away the tuner
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us