Help requested

Username: Skinnylegs

San Diego, CA

Post Number: 1
Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Currently, I'm in home video hell. I can't decide what to get. Let me explain my story.

To begin with, I'm looking for a HD monitor (plasma, LCD or DLP) that has the best overall picture. I want to be able to enjoy movies, HD content, regular digital cable stuff and PC gaming on my monitor. BTW.....the PC gaming stuff is critical to me as I'm an avid UT2004 player.

It appears that DLP is the best choice??? I wasn't even aware that you could hook a computer up to a DLP rig which no doubt shows my level of ignorance but hey....I'm trying to learn.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

refer
Unregistered guest
Have you read this post?

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/116845.html

San Diego, CA

Post Number: 2
I just went to the link you provide but it appears to be about Samsung -vs- JVC.

More specifically, I'm wondering which type of display (LCD or DLP) will display computer stuff (namely gaming) better?

refer
Unregistered guest
Yea, it's about the best HD DLP set vs the best LCD set. I don't do any gaming and there are a lot of opinions on the subject. Jacob installs a lot of sets and banters with others on this thread.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/56336.html

I have a Samsung HLP5063W DLP model and the HD picture is fabulous. I mean eye-popping! Lots of video format settings, though. If you're hooking up a PS2 or XBox you should go into the menu and change the format to 480I or else the upconvert to 1080I will cause a delay you won't want. Some folks just don't understand resolution conversion. LCD's tend to have problems after a few thousand hours. Some Sony's even sooner. Read as many posts as you can tolorate.

Username: Seanmdh

Kansas City, Ks Usa

Post Number: 3
the jvc set is a D-Ila or LCOS not DLP.

refer
Unregistered guest
Right! It's a Liquid Crystal On Silicon (LCOS), which is a type of LCD.

San Diego, CA

Post Number: 3
I bought the Samsung 40" LCD. Currently, its hooked up to standard digital cable and it looks so-so. It looks 'kinda grainy at times and at other times, it seems like I get waves that go from the top to the bottom. Is this normal?

I should be receiving my HD setup from Cox Cable and I'll evaluate that.

Another question.....the TV runs widescreen format natively. There are other settings such as panorama and 4:1. I've found the panorama setting to be the best if I'm not watching something that is widescreen formatted otherwise it 'kinda stretchs things out. I'm sure this is an inherant problem with widescreen monitors but I thought I'd ask to see if this is normal.

Also, I brought my computer to the store and hooked it up to the TV before I bought it and that was the big selling point. It was simply stunning! The windows desktop was flawless and even text was crisp and easily readable. Of course, I had to fire up UT2004 and it was a blast to play on a 40" monitor!

I appreciate all of your responses. Best Buy has a 30 day money back guarantee so I really want to evaluate this TV before deciding to keep it. The primary reason I didn't go with DLP is because all of them have stuff around and/or beneath the monitor itself (i.e speakers) which I really don't like. Does anyone make a DLP rig without the speakers on it???
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us