Samsung HLP 5085W vs. Mitshbishi WD-52525

Bronze Member
Username: Jake_the_dog

Post Number: 27
Good Morning Everyone,

I wanted to post my experiences of late with my Samsung HLP-5085W. If you have never had a problem with your TV be grateful. If you do have one I wish you luck. I got my set back in September from BB. It looked great until you viewed a very low light scene. Pirates of the Caribbean was so bad it I turned it off. The walls, fog, etc. looked like a velvet painting. Samsung sent their techs out and I was told I needed a new DLP light engine and a new Digital Main Board. BS!! I said, the set is new I want it replaced with a new set. Samsung refused to replace the unit. BB said it was still under MFR warranty and they could not help me. The parts had still not arrived after 2 weeks when I got a letter from BB stating that a digital line filter was inadvertantly left out of my set. I went berzerk on the Samsung CS group and demanded a replacement set but got nowhere. I finally called the BB store I bought the TV at and the very cool MGR let me get a replacement set but at the cost of my x-tended warranty. Luckily prices have dropped since I bought my TV and I came out even. This time I opted for the Mitsubishi WD-52525 with the extended warranty. SD looks far better on this set than the Samsung. HD looks far better on this set than the Samsung. Pirates of the Caribbean looks awesome on this set. No green artifacts, velvet looking walls and faces, tones, etc. The screen is quite reflective but can be removed. They gave me a mail in rebate for a free trim kit if I opt to remove the screen. It does not really bother me in the room it is in. You also scroll through a quick menu screen with the remote to select your input source instead of waiting to switch through each actual input like on the Samsung. Big time saver, great setup overall. In the store the Samsung looked crisper than the Mits but at home the picture on the Mits is far more accurate and far easier on your eyes. I have no stake in either company but as Samsung did not stand behind their unit and the Mits looks better hands down I would recommend everyone considering a 50" set (The Mits is actually 52" but narrower than the Samsung as the speakers are below the screen) to spend the time to get to know the Mits. Whatever you get good luck with it. We are all part of the same HD family. I am just so amazed at Samsung's lack of support I will never buy another expensive product from them.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us